PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder

Parker Dreamin
12-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Was thinking about getting a Depth Finder put on the boat. (26 Cobra Razor) Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions ? Make, Model, Price...etc...
Thanks in advance for the help.

spectras only
12-23-2004, 03:44 PM
I have the Lowrance 3500 in my spectras [ excellent tracking at high speed] and Gaffrig in my Mirage. They're pretty close price wise .

Parker Dreamin
12-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Price ?

spectras only
12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Had them for awhile ,but the price is still around 230-250 retail for the Lowrance , including transducer.Gaffrig is 200 for the head and 40 for the transducer I think.

phebus
12-23-2004, 04:01 PM
I went with the one from Livorsi. I went with it because it came highly reccomended, and matched the existing gauges in my boat the best of what I saw. It works great at slow speeds on my boat, but doesn't work at high speeds. That is due to the bottom design with the steps on the hull, and the transducer is mounted in the center pod. Friends with the same unit depending on their bottom design (vee vs. cat) and location of transducer have better results at speed. I believe it was around 175.- for the gauge and transducer. It's a cool gee wiz toy. Not really any good for navigation, but it amazes me how shallow some of the spots I assumed were deeper really are (i.e. the channel, launch areas, etc.)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753gl_600thw.jpg

Parker Dreamin
12-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Ya, I want to say Gee Wiz before my other Depth Finder (outdrive) says it for me....

shadow
12-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Was thinking about getting a Depth Finder put on the boat. (26 Cobra Razor) Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions ? Make, Model, Price...etc...
Thanks in advance for the help.
You already have a depth finder.I't came stock with the boat.Also know as a skeg.secondary warning indicator prop. :eek: :D :eek:

phebus
12-23-2004, 04:23 PM
The reason a depth finder doesn't work for me is because I know when I'm in shallow water with or without a depth gauge. The problem is when you are boating in water that is deep enough, and come upon a submerged object or other sudden shallow. Too late you'll hit it before any gauge with the transducer at you transom alerts you. Again, just a gee wizz toy. :D

welk2party
12-23-2004, 04:34 PM
I opted against one simply because they are not reliable at speed and that is when I would want to have that info. Otherwise, not all that concerned how deep it is.

LilHarley
12-23-2004, 06:31 PM
I had a depth finder on my pontoon and it worked great. Unfortunately, top speed was 27mph. When cruising, not bad, idling great. When I got the new boat, I talked with a few others and they all basically told me the same, if you're cruising (now cruising is a lot faster then 27 on my pontoon), it wouldn't be worth it. Main reason, you are already past where it first starts to warn you (where you probably are already aware of the low area by sight and would slow down anyway).
Anyway, long story short, I opted out for it. Just my 2 cents .... :messedup:

Parker Dreamin
12-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up..... Anybody else ?

Phat Matt
12-23-2004, 07:38 PM
They are kind of nice when you are in deep water and you want to throw the anchor out. Then you know if you really have to make sure and untangle the wad of rope, or you only need 30 feet. :D

NuckinFutz
12-23-2004, 08:06 PM
I have to Gaffrig mounted in my boat and it works amazingly well even with my stepped hull. It is mounted shooting through the hull just ahead of the engine. I agree that it will only tell me what I have already traveled over, but if you watch it and boat familiar waters you can remember shallow spots for trips to come. I keep an eye on mine at Powell and can note rocks that will appear when the water goes down. My last boat had a Lowrance mounted through the hull and it was worthless over ten miles an hour. I also installed a Lowrance with the transducer on the rear (fishfinder model) that worked much better in the old boat. I figure it this way, if it saves me one rock over the life of the boat it was money well spent.

spectras only
12-23-2004, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=NuckinFutz] My last boat had a Lowrance mounted through the hull and it was worthless over ten miles an hour. I also installed a Lowrance with the transducer on the rear (fishfinder model) that worked much better in the old boat. , your old boat must have had balsa or foam core layup ,where shooting through the hull won't work, hence it worked mounted in the back. Gaffrig won't work either in cored hulls . Some rivers look murky to tell depth [ reading the water] and a depth gauge will warn you to avoid shoals that builds up slowly on approach.If you going super fast , no matter what system you have, when hitting a log 1' beneath the surface :messedup: :2purples:

voodoomedman
12-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Usually there is nothing to worry about on the lakes. Now when going up river even though it's usually fine I like to follow in another boats path a couple hundred feet back. If they hit something I know to stop.

Sane Asylum
12-24-2004, 10:17 AM
You already have a depth finder.I't came stock with the boat.Also know as a skeg.secondary warning indicator prop. :eek: :D :eek:
LMAO.........:D :D

boatnam2
12-24-2004, 10:19 AM
come on pd the only depth finder you need in parker is knowledge.

Parker Dreamin
12-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I have been out of the game for 10 years so I need a vet like you to show me the paths again.... One of these days we will be up there at the same time.... dont ya think ?

boatnam2
12-24-2004, 10:51 AM
i hope so real soon.i think we will need to find some markers first,so i think we will hit all the bars to establish some landmarks.

phebus
12-24-2004, 11:48 AM
The knowledge to stay north of the dam, at a little place called Havasu. :D

voodoomedman
12-24-2004, 11:55 AM
The knowledge to stay north of the dam, at a little place called Havasu. :D
No Havasu sucks. It really really sucks. Stay on the other parts of the river. Tell all your friends to keep away. :D

LilHarley
12-24-2004, 01:05 PM
No Havasu sucks. It really really sucks. Stay on the other parts of the river. Tell all your friends to keep away. :D
EOFLMAO ..... yup, I agree Jason .... :rolleyes:

jackpunx
12-24-2004, 01:38 PM
I have been out of the game for 10 years so I need a vet like you to show me the paths again.... One of these days we will be up there at the same time.... dont ya think ?
Yea.. show me too :messedup:

boatnam2
12-24-2004, 05:51 PM
jp we can whip up a map together but if you decide to bring rd with you we wont be able to meet at my dock it is to tricky to find for him.