PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's boyfriend

v-drive
12-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Last night at dinner my daughter's boyfriend started speaking loudly to her . I have noticed in the past that he does this but last night he tried to include me to stick up for him.When I wouldn't he dismissed me and started on her again. I didn't say anything I just got up and kind of (Loudly) set my plate down on our counter and went into our room to blow off my anger. the wife walked in and asked if I was allright and if he had just gone to far with his big mouth. I said I was fine and that yes he had and I was tired of it. This morning my wife or daughter will not speak to me. I think they are expecting me to apologize to him. Sdould I? :mad: v-drive

Jetdriver
12-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Dont you dare! They will both get over it. Your right and they will see that! Stick to your guns Daddy!

Mrs.Racer277
12-26-2004, 08:28 AM
I think you are just being a loving, caring father. I do not see what you did wrong.

dmontzsta
12-26-2004, 08:29 AM
They were in your house, to me he disrespected you and especially your daughter in front of her parents. That is just wrong, he should stay on his best behavior in a situation like that.

superdave013
12-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Hey, I'm married and I'll tell ya what. If I ever give my wife a piece of my mind it damn sure won't be in front of her mother or farther.
It's called respect! (and I don't want to get my ass kicked by her in front of the inlaws) lol

JetBoatRich
12-26-2004, 08:33 AM
You were totally in the right :hammerhea A good talk to him is in order :2purples:
Just curious, how old is your Daughter and Boyfriend.
WE had a wierd with my Daughter's BF.........

FMluvswater
12-26-2004, 08:34 AM
From what you've said you have no apologies to make. You didn't cause the scene or fuss. You did the right things. I'd even say you might tell your daughter what about his behavior upset you and that it should upset her too. A raised voice is not a sign of healthy communication. Just my .02.

mike37
12-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Last night at dinner my daughter's boyfriend started speaking loudly to her . I have noticed in the past that he does this but last night he tried to include me to stick up for him.When I wouldn't he dismissed me and started on her again. I didn't say anything I just got up and kind of (Loudly) set my plate down on our counter and went into our room to blow off my anger. the wife walked in and asked if I was allright and if he had just gone to far with his big mouth. I said I was fine and that yes he had and I was tired of it. This morning my wife or daughter will not speak to me. I think they are expecting me to apologize to him. Sdould I? :mad: v-drive
it may be just his personality raising his voice in debate no harm there
but it sound like something different by your reaction
so im going to say you're right on this one

coolchange
12-26-2004, 08:47 AM
If thats what happens in front of you...

wsuwrhr
12-26-2004, 08:52 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking.
What does your daughter say?
Brian
How old are they?

wsuwrhr
12-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Hey, I'm married and I'll tell ya what. If I ever give my wife a piece of my mind it damn sure won't be in front of her mother or farther.
It's called respect! (and I don't want to get my ass kicked by her in front of the inlaws) lol
I agree with that.
Brian

v-drive
12-26-2004, 09:42 AM
That's exactly my fear!
Thanks everyone I didn't think I was to far off center..v-drive

retromek
12-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I would have taken him outside. I'm not very popular at times and my current boat is "Anger Manegment". I not saying what I do is right. But that's what I've done. The kids are alright I Got two terrific grandsons now. Thank God

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-26-2004, 09:46 AM
my my my, well my daughter is 18 and if she is having a problem with her boyfriend they should keep me out of it, but in my house my rules go period :hammerhea next he may be wanted to hit her, then the s**t will hit the fan. Stick to your guns they will get over it

Mandelon
12-26-2004, 10:01 AM
I admire your restraint, I think I would have called him on it right there at the table. Then again, I would sort of enjoy making my daughters boyfriend uncomfortable... :devil:
I think you could have a little chat with him, go ahead apologize for leaving, (but a qualified apology.) Let him know if he EVER disrespects your daughter or anyone else when you are there he will be called on it.
If his parents didn't teach him manners and respect, we'd be grateful if you did.

Flying Tiger
12-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Ya did the right thing,, but clearing the air with the girls makes one feel a lot better.
Reach down inside and get it over with, you'll feel better.
As you get older, and feel better in your own skin, this becomes easier.
He shouldn't raise his voice to your kid in your castle.
Chicks are programed to push us over the edge though.
It's Christmas,, clear the air and just lump it.

wsuwrhr
12-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Let him know if he EVER disrespects your daughter or anyone else when you are there he will be called on it.
If his parents didn't teach him manners and respect, we'd be grateful if you did.
Damn Mandy,,
Once again you are right on target.
Brian

Kindsvater Flat
12-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Well up here in the farmland of the NorCal you might just be going for a walk behind the barn for that kind of attitude in my house.

jdf
12-26-2004, 10:36 AM
you need to have a talk with him get him on the narrow path ....ihave 2 sisters and dad let's us boy's take care of them as there is five of us and if it get to oldest boy's it hell on them bye then they are gone down the road and dadd sit's back and giggle's old fart

Desert Rat
12-26-2004, 10:36 AM
If he treats her like this in front of you how does he treat her elseware? When you are in MY house my rules apply and that goes for family as well. I would think your wife should be on your side in this. I would want my daughter (if I had one) to be treated like gold in front of me. I will say if I have a gripe with my wife and her farther is in town that the gripe can just wait. Stand your ground!!

Charley
12-26-2004, 10:50 AM
No apology should be given... I think the best thing you could do would be explain why you were unhappy to him. It's dinner time, it's your house, it's your daughter .... you have every right to have expectations!
sit the kid down and tell him what it is about his "habits" that you would like him to "curb" .... put the ball in his court :D Good luck

Kim Hanson
12-26-2004, 11:16 AM
I usually like to take them aside from the rest and tell them , you hurt my daughter and I will hurt you when I catch you. It has worked for 10 some years now..............( . )( . )............Im on your side when it comes to girls :cool:

RiverOtter
12-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Just my http://midwestboatparty.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/twocents.gif , If that little mouth breathing slack gen x'er tunes her up in front of you. What do you think he does when you are not there. Sounds like he needs if not an arse whippin at least needs to be put in his place. I have boys (thank God) not girls. If I did have a girl and some little punk talked to her like that I don't think the sceen would be pretty.

Scream
12-26-2004, 11:27 AM
You were right, he was wrong. It's your house and you make the rules. If he breaks them again, pick his usless ass up and toss him out the door.
Sounds good anyway..
Scream

Dusty Times
12-26-2004, 12:22 PM
I've been trying to bite my tounge on this one. But here's my .02. I would have everyone pissed at me until next Christmas. My girls are my girls and deserve the respect that they have always had. He's lucky you didn't take him outside and tune him up. (Not knowing how old he is)If he is young tell him to send his old man down.
Just can't stop wondering if the same kinda guy will date my daughters and what he's doing to her when nobody is watching. :boxingguy

Boozer
12-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Man O Man it's good to know I dont have any daughters to worry about and wont have any anytime soon.

RiverOtter
12-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Still mad over this one! One more thing. If that little punk is verbally abusive then chances are very high he will be physically abusive if not now in the future. Needs to be put in his place.

Kim Hanson
12-26-2004, 12:38 PM
I've been trying to bite my tounge on this one. But here's my .02. I would have everyone pissed at me until next Christmas. My girls are my girls and deserve the respect that they have always had. He's lucky you didn't take him outside and tune him up. (Not knowing how old he is)If he is young tell him to send his old man down.
Just can't stop wondering if the same kinda guy will date my daughters and what he's doing to her when nobody is watching. :boxingguy
Hitting women is not even considered in my books, I had a women ask me to help her once after her boyfriend threw her into his car and tried to get away...I followed and got him to pull over and grabbed her out of the car and the cops came and if it wasn't for the lady asking me for help I would have been charged by this piece of crap boyfriend :mad: I would not have done anything different, even if I was charge with something...GUYS DON'T HIT WOMEN, ****ING LOSER'S DO!........( . )( . )...........

Flying Tiger
12-26-2004, 12:49 PM
I let guys know up front I saw my mom go through hell with my dad and my daughter isn't going to repeat the experience.
Those word work.

locogringo
12-26-2004, 01:02 PM
didn't read all of this but if we are still on this subject, if a "boyfriend" talked to my daughter that way, it would be the last time he stepped foot in my house until he apologized vehemently!
Also, your wife, as sweet and in love as you both may be, should always stand by her man (you) and the decisions you have made. Be them right or wrong. In your case however, you were completely in the right. Not only did the boyfriend disrespect your daughter but he disrespected your house your wife and you.
Don't you dare apologize to anyone. If anything make it clear to everyone why you did what you did!
I am only 34 (old by some people's accounts) and I was raised with respect and to be corteous. I still refer to people older than me (by 15 years plus) as Mr. or Mrs. and try to be a gentleman. Gone are the days of respect IMO.
OKay! Done ranting.
STICK TO YOUR GUNS!

Bad Baja
12-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I would Bitch Slap the lil puke.

dexman38
12-26-2004, 02:56 PM
sounds like the boyfreind is a pussy. you are the better man because you could hae bitch slaped him.

Norseman
12-26-2004, 05:34 PM
If anyone should aplologise it's him!!!!
I'd have asked him to take a walk, and suggested to him that he better treat your daughter better in the future, and respect you in your house!!
If he couldn't agree with that then I would FIRMLY suggest he leave!!!
If he acts that way in front of her family, how does he treat her when no one is around!!!!
Sounds like he needs a serious attitude adjustment!!!!
My Father in law invited one of Joan's sisters boyfrieds for a talk and just happened to sit at his desk and started cleaning his service revolver, seems the boy got quite uncomfortable, and chose to leave and not come back.

phebus
12-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Focker, Gay Focker.....Tell him, I've got my eye on you.... :messedup:

RiverOtter
12-26-2004, 05:37 PM
If anyone should aplologise it's him!!!!
I'd have asked him to take a walk, and suggested to him that he better treat your daughter better in the future, and respect you in your house!!
If he couldn't agree with that then I would FIRMLY suggest he leave!!!
If he acts that way in front of her family, how does he treat her when no one is around!!!!
Sounds like he needs a serious attitude adjustment!!!!
My Father in law invited one of Joan's sisters boyfrieds for a talk and just happened to sit at his desk and started cleaning his service revolver, seems the boy got quite uncomfortable, and chose to leave and not come back.
Funny how that works .... :D

Dribble
12-26-2004, 05:40 PM
I would have kicked his ass.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Kick his a$$ and then tell him to learn how to act in your house, or he gets his a$$ kicked again.

dean51267
12-26-2004, 06:11 PM
If you were to enter my house I would expect you to respect me in mine, and if the rolls were reversed you would find me a humble guest.
However let me ad my 2 cents as a friend....
Next time your daughters boyfriend starts in walk behind your daughter, start rubbing her shoulders and let her lean against her, then look at her "boy friend" and ask "help me understand your point here".
He will be the extremist, and you the great dad. Being a parent takes brains, try and over ride your emotions, and remember, you are not the first guy to deal with this.
As a back up plan just beat the shit out of the guyt, and I mean kick this shit out of him like no one ever has, break some ribe while he flopps on your living room floor, if nothing else no one will EVE again cross you in your own home.

thom
12-26-2004, 06:13 PM
kind funny this thread came up.. Just got a phone call from my sister in az concerning my other sister in vegas.. So far it sounds like im taking a road trip tomorrow.. Like dad says I'll treat you the way you treat my Daughter or sister in my case

dean51267
12-26-2004, 06:33 PM
If you were to enter my house I would expect you to respect me in mine, and if the rolls were reversed you would find me a humble guest.
However let me ad my 2 cents as a friend....
Next time your daughters boyfriend starts in walk behind your daughter, start rubbing her shoulders and let her lean against her, then look at her "boy friend" and ask "help me understand your point here".
He will be the extremist, and you the great dad. Being a parent takes brains, try and over ride your emotions, and remember, you are not the first guy to deal with this.
As a back up plan just beat the shit out of the guyt, and I mean kick this shit out of him like no one ever has, break some ribe while he flopps on your living room floor, if nothing else no one will EVER again cross you in your own home.
Dude, do not EVER let political correct schtie get you to go against doing what you know is rigtht. By the same token, ask yourself,

RiverOtter
12-26-2004, 06:35 PM
I would never EVER have disrespected (anyone for that matter) like that in front (or behind) their father. Punk needs to be taught about life in the the city.

Tom Brown
12-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey v-drive, buck up. It could be worse. He could own an outboard. :D
What happened to being your own man and trying to do what you know is right? When did we start conducting ourselves according to opinion polls like politicians? :confused:

PHOTOGLOU
12-26-2004, 06:39 PM
I would call the Mother or father and explain what happend see if they'll come over for coffee or drink with there son and explain the situation let your wife explain what happend if you think this will upset her then he can tell his side of the story if he is sorry for what he did then you will get your justification with him his family and yours. If he dosen't then maybe you should talk to your daughter about why she shouldn't date him and then maybe your wife will have your back and pull the family together again

Flyinbowtie
12-26-2004, 07:13 PM
You've gotten alot of good advice here.
Whatever went on at that table, what you experienced is what you experienced, and the fact that mom is siding with your daughter is not really surprising.
If daughter likes this guy so much that she cannot see beyond the skin to see the man he is going to become, (which is demonstrated by his behavior, not his looks) then mom is supporting her blindly out of concern for the girls feelings. Normal.
You, being the dad, are supposed to respond the way you did. You are a hell of a lot closer to reading this boy than they are.
You are a man.
It is reasonable to expect a boy to treat your daughter with at least as much respect as you do.
It is reasonable for the young man to respect you, your wife and your daughter, and your home enough that this kind of treatment would be completely out of the question from anyone who respected themselves.
He doesn't respect himself, or anyone else.
Good call. He stays out til he grows up. You can't keep her from seeing him out in the world, but you sure as hell don't have to let him in your home.

SHOTKALLIN
12-26-2004, 07:34 PM
This guy raised his voice to your daughter at XMAS dinner in front of the entire family??? WTF? Is he retarded or was that his first beer talking? I would have had a talk with him ALONE in the garage. :hammerhea Then today I would have had a talk with my daughter about dating guys that aren't respectful. This clown should be told that he needs to apologize to you and your wife for disrespecting your house. G/F and B/F will argue but there is a time and place for it. It should not be in front of you. Maybe your daughter has some self esteem problems that need counseling if she is willing to be treated like that. I have a daughter and if I were in that situation thats where I would start. She is the most important in this scenario, at least my daughters well being would be.
Just my .02

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
12-26-2004, 07:51 PM
I don't think you did any thing wrong.......... a man or a boy should never be disrespectful exspecially in front of the parents!!! ( or at any other time because who knows what that could turn in to ) I myself have two boys and if they ever I hope that the girls parent would put him in his place on the first occasion and if it happened again that they would not let him return until they could talk w/ me so I could kick his a$$ myself!!!! I've started early with my boys and respect I just hope they absorb it all :hammerhea
P.S.
Do not apoligize !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eliminator 4 Life
12-26-2004, 07:58 PM
I dont think you did anything wrong either. This little punk disrespected you in your own house by raising his voice at your daughter you should have whipped his azz. What kind of guy is this anyway doesnt he have any manners. I think you handled yourself well I would have flew off the handle :hammerhea :hammerhea

SHOTKALLIN
12-26-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm a little confused. Your wife or your daughter wants you to apologize? or both? If its your wife we have a serious problem here. If its the daughter then counseling is definitely in order.
I think I'm up to .04

SHOTKALLIN
12-26-2004, 08:02 PM
I dont think you did anything wrong either. This little punk disrespected you in your own house by raising his voice at your daughter you should have whipped his azz. What kind of guy is this anyway doesnt he have any manners. I think you handled yourself well I would have flew off the handle :hammerhea :hammerhea
I would have broke the handle. Then someone at the table would have told the guy "You'd better go now!!! Quickly!!!"

welk2party
12-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Nobody talks to my family in front of me like that. I would have said something to him about it right then and there.

bigd1
12-27-2004, 06:09 AM
Sounds like he lacks "discipline" and "self-control". Lessons that can be taught quickly, forcefully, and effectively, leaving a lasting impression.

TCHB
12-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Being a Dad is tough! You did the right thing!!!!

Tremor Therapy
12-27-2004, 08:44 AM
I have 2 teenage daughters, and one that is about to become a teenager, so I know your pain, your frustration, and your dilemma. I have had their boyfriends show up and talk in disrespectful tones, eat and drink like slobs, and generally leave me with a very low opinion of the zit faced grammar killers out there.
That being said, my house is my house. You WILL NOT disrespect me or my family in my house....and at Christmas? I would have thrown the little f*cker out of my house....the hell with what my daughter or wife thought! My wife and daughters have always been treated with the utmost respect, and my 8 year old son is learning, and doing quite well, in learning manners, and how to treat women.
I know that my wife would have done the same thing, and she has stuck up for the feelings of my daughters, but, and many have said it quite well....if he will speak to her like that at your dinner table, in your house, AT CHRISTMAS, he does it much worse in other places. If your daughter is to blind to see it, hold your ground, and stick to your guns. My daughters know that I am not unreasonable, and that after some time, they will understand why their dad feels a certain way about this kid.
Either all of that, or take the little f*cker outside and tell him how worthless he really is to you, and it really doesn't matter what happens to him, but you aren't afraid to go back to prison! :devil:

coolchange
12-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Either all of that, or take the little f*cker outside and tell him how worthless he really is to you, and it really doesn't matter what happens to him, but you aren't afraid to go back to prison! :devil:
Thats funny! Tell him your court appointed therapist says you have a sociopathilogical disorder but your paroll officer just thinks your an asshole!

v-drive
12-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey everyone I had a long talk with my wife and I also had her read some of your responses just to show her that I wasn't the only one that feels this way. She still thinks I should have handled it differently but when I told her that the only other way was to start a fight at the Christmas table she does tend to understand my reasoning. My daughter still see's it as me being unreasonable. My daughter is effin blind and I am not and refuse to be. I will have a talk with junior before long and have him straight in a jiffy.
Thanks each and every one (even you Kim)of you for your insight.
v-drive

ROZ
12-27-2004, 11:12 AM
I think you did the right thing. You showed that you didn't approve of his verbal abuse by leaving the table and placed your plate on the counter loudly with discust. I also think that your wife and daughter may be afraid to talk about it with you at the moment because they think you're likely still a bit angry about the situation and you'll talk about it when you're ready...
I'd plan a family meeting to discuss your views on respect in your household and at the same time explain to your daughter that what has ocurred in NOT okay or the best for his princess...
After that you can tell any boy who courts your daughter that you're more than willing to accept capitol punishment for protecting your family :devil:

atomickitn
12-27-2004, 11:13 AM
keep up the good fight you did the right thing,respect goes along way :argue:

Debbolas
12-27-2004, 11:16 AM
I can't stand my daughter touching/hugging/kissing her boyfriend in front of me (she knows this and keeps that to a minimum)
I don't think Scream or I would take it too well if he spoke unkindly to her especially at our Christmas Dinner Table.

Kim Hanson
12-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey everyone I had a long talk with my wife and I also had her read some of your responses just to show her that I wasn't the only one that feels this way. She still thinks I should have handled it differently but when I told her that the only other way was to start a fight at the Christmas table she does tend to understand my reasoning. My daughter still see's it as me being unreasonable. My daughter is effin blind and I am not and refuse to be. I will have a talk with junior before long and have him straight in a jiffy.
v-drive
I know this is off topic here, but! I think it's time to let the past slip away, sorry that I offended you on HavasuBarney Board ( you are the same one, right ? ) Its time to sweep it under the table..please :cool: .........( . )( . )........I want to be a better person on the forums and it's starting with you and your son .

v-drive
12-27-2004, 11:27 AM
I know this is off topic here, but! I think it's time to let the past slip away, sorry that I offended you on HavasuBarney Board ( you are the same one, right ? ) Its time to sweep it under the table..please :cool: .........( . )( . )........I want to be a better person on the forums and it's starting with you and your son .
Consider it swept....v-drive

Kim Hanson
12-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Consider it swept....v-drive
Thanks very much, I owe you one.........( . )( . ).......... :cool:

Desert Rat
12-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Wow maybe we all CAN get along.... :D

sizzlingcell
12-27-2004, 12:30 PM
I can tell you from experience you did the right thing and you have every reason to be alarmed. I had the same type experience with my daughters boyfriend and after all had been revealed a pattern of abuse came out and now we are dealing with the courts, restraining orders and custody issues and lots of bucks... for attourney fees :mad:

Ziggy
12-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Good job V-drive. ;)
I think I'd probably have picked up his plate of food, taken it outside and let him finish eating there. :D :D
Like kids, I remove the object causing the problem.

Norseman
12-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I can tell you from experience you did the right thing and you have every reason to be alarmed. I had the same type experience with my daughters boyfriend and after all had been revealed a pattern of abuse came out and now we are dealing with the courts, restraining orders and custody issues and lots of bucks... for attourney fees :mad:
You might want to invest in a baseball bat, and $20.00 to one of Bueamonts Civil Enforcemant Officers. I hear they hang out at the traffic light.

DCBob
12-27-2004, 02:22 PM
v-drive
Right move on your part. You got your point across without causing an irrepairable blowout w/your family. You can go back now and straighten out Junior when cooler heads should prevail. Explain the rules of respect for you and your family in or out of your house, he apparently is not getting this training at home. In all cases reserve option to beat him sensless should abuse continue.

v-drive
12-27-2004, 02:40 PM
You might want to invest in a baseball bat, and $20.00 to one of Bueamonts Civil Enforcemant Officers. I hear they hang out at the traffic light.
I have an old louiseville slugger from the 60's I think. Will that do?
just kidding ofcourse.......v-drive

spectratoad
12-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Thats funny! Tell him your court appointed therapist says you have a sociopathilogical disorder but your paroll officer just thinks your an asshole!
and you expect kids now days to know what that means??? :confused: :D

moneysucker
12-27-2004, 03:13 PM
I hope you were done with dinner. No little punk is going to ruin my Christmas dinner. If it was after dinner you were totally in the right. If it was durring dinner I would have had a talk with him right there. First round would have been telling them both to knock it off. If any glimmer of an argument continued, Then Me and junior would have stepped outside and I would have expressed my rules to him and explained the courtesy and dinner ediquitte all kids should have been taught by their parents. If he decides that he is still in the right, he doesn't come back in the house. You were right. I wouldn't appologize to anyone. Your daughter should be apologizing to you for letting it continue to the point that it ruined your day.

thom
12-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Even though i dont have a daughter if you get that funny feeling that something is wrong act on it... I ended driving to vegas last night at 10:30 to get my sister out of her situation.. I couldnt beleive the stories she told me... Not a good way to leave town with all of your stuff in garbage bags.. Long drive but felt really good when i pulled in the driveway at 7 with her safe..

moneysucker
12-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Even though i dont have a daughter if you get that funny feeling that something is wrong act on it... I ended driving to vegas last night at 10:30 to get my sister out of her situation.. I couldnt beleive the stories she told me... Not a good way to leave town with all of your stuff in garbage bags.. Long drive but felt really good when i pulled in the driveway at 7 with her safe..
Good job I'd have done the same thing. Except if it were my sister a few of my contractors in Vegas would have beaten me to the house and I would have never seen the guy. :hammerhea

thom
12-27-2004, 03:37 PM
unfortunatley i dont know any one in vegas. Just really sucks to see her go from living in a multi million dollar home to garbage bags and hotel to hotel.. Either way its done and he and i will have a talk some time soon.

ratso
12-27-2004, 04:24 PM
For a little twist on this. My son dates one fine ass girl, awesome, beautiful, and super sweet to him. He doesn't respect her at all though, I don't get it. He has disrespected her in front of me, and you think I didn't call his ass down on it??? It works both ways, and it won't happen under my roof or even in my vicinity. I'll call anybody down on bull like that...even my OWN son.