PDA

View Full Version : Ski bums...

Sleek-Jet
12-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Wow, a forum for those of us that want to use our boats for something other than transportation to and from the sandbar... :D
Kind of odd placemant, but nice to see it anyway.
Personally, I like good old meat and potatos slalom skiing, no wake boarding, or ski racing or trick skiing, just nice carved turns on glass. :D
So who else ski's on here??

infotraker
12-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I've been skiing since I was 12, 58 now and still skiing ! Started at Lake Tahoe behind a 35 HP outboard. Converted to 68 Schiada flat in 68 and 77 Sanger Pickle in 2002. I ski best at the Delta in Ca (perfect water in places). We spend a week at Eagle lake Ca and the water is great certain times of the day for skiing. Picture below is at eagle behind the pickle fork.
http://***boat.com/image_center/data/524/450P1010020small-med.jpg
http://***boat.com/image_center/data/524/450P1010041small-med.jpg

BADBLOWN572
12-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Been skiing since I was 4 years old. Don't get to do it as much as I would like, but still try to do it as often as possible. Probably once a month or so during the summer.

rrrr
12-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Gettin' old, got a bad knee too. I switched to wakeboarding a few years ago, the knee couldn't take the slalom stuff any more.
I've had surgery on it seven times..... :rolleyes:
I like boarding, everything happens a little slower. So far my best trick is a face plant..... :p :220v:

dmontzsta
12-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Gettin' old, got a bad knee too. I switched to wakeboarding a few years ago, the knee couldn't take the slalom stuff any more.
I've had surgery on it seven times..... :rolleyes:
I like boarding, everything happens a little slower. So far my best trick is a face plant..... :p :220v:
I have to try it...I am a lazy mofo and just like getting pulled on a tub. :D

joeygo
12-27-2004, 05:35 PM
cool topic.I've been skiing since I was 14. My two daughters just started wakeboarding this last summer. Here are some pics of them.These pics were taken on our 3rd trip out. It always amazes me how fast kids pick things up.

Sleek-Jet
12-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Cool. One of the reasons I bought a v-drive was to ski behind it. I never have been pulled behind any other boat than an O/B runabout.
My brothers and I have been sking since we were single digit ages, can't wait to get the boat running and hit the water this year.

markc
12-28-2004, 04:28 PM
You rarley see people slalom or play skiing anymore, wakeboardings fun but I still like going fast..

tamalewagon
12-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Been skiing since I was 8 (now 35). Skied on my college team and loved every second! Still love to ski behind the direct, v-drives and outboards. I absolutely refuse to wakeboard. I'm too die hard. Won't snow-board either. Strictly a ski-bum.

Simplify
12-28-2004, 09:19 PM
I have also been skiing since I was 8. 35 now. Grew up in Florida right on the Banana River in Cocoa Beach. Also got into kneeboarding as a kid, then started wakeboarding in '91 when the sport was fairly new. I love all different types of skiing. In fact, I went back to a jet boat just so I could have my fat ass yanked out of the water when slaloming! Nothin' like laying it out while carving a turn doin' 35 mph!

Mandelon
12-28-2004, 09:22 PM
I used to ski, but boarding is bettah. Just like in the snow. My knees like one board, and not two sticks....
Its more like surfing, which I sorely miss. Can't desert the family for hours on end, but in the boat, they all get to come along and take turns...

77charger
12-28-2004, 09:31 PM
still prefer a single ski here.Just bought a new ski this past summer and getting back into it.Was nice this summer to wake up sun morn and ski from needles to park moabi lots of nice glass but worn out soon after.also got some nice glass this year at powell in the main channel past rainbow bridge.My brothers and cousins who go on vacations still prefer the wakeboards.I just cant stand towing them they think 35mph is too fast.LOL they seem to want to go the speed where my boat begins to plane so keeping the spped stable is a big pain

21rayson
12-29-2004, 12:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/155three_up_pics0006-med.JPG and i'm the one in the middle

Hotfish
12-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Been skiing ever since I was 5. Grew up on Any Clark skies. Nothing like skiing 5 up.

76 Sleekcraft
12-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Been skiing since I was 8, now 49. Usually ski on New Years day, but this time the flu has me. Right now the water temp is 44 degrees at our lake in North Carolina. Have broken my leg, torn my rotator cuff and numerous other injuries, but just cant stop. Love my sleekcraft jet, but my passion is our Ski Nautique. We currently have a 1998 Signature Edition ( #1 of 1). Wouldnt have it any other way.

tamalewagon
12-29-2004, 05:14 PM
still prefer a single ski here.Just bought a new ski this past summer and getting back into it.Was nice this summer to wake up sun morn and ski from needles to park moabi lots of nice glass but worn out soon after.also got some nice glass this year at powell in the main channel past rainbow bridge.My brothers and cousins who go on vacations still prefer the wakeboards.I just cant stand towing them they think 35mph is too fast.LOL they seem to want to go the speed where my boat begins to plane so keeping the spped stable is a big pain
You have one beautiful boat there... :cool:

77charger
12-29-2004, 07:01 PM
You have one beautiful boat there... :cool:
that is a boat owned by my boss i am also the driver for it we raced it succesfully last year.my own boat is a 21 eliminator which imo is also a good looking boat

DogHouse
12-29-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm the fat guy on the end of the rope...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/313Magicski1.jpg
:D

ROZ
12-29-2004, 07:29 PM
DAmn DH, It takes a big boat with a lot of power to get you out of the water ;) :supp: :D
I started skiing at 6 behind my uncle's beizermeyer...

DogHouse
12-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Think the wife will agree to a supercharger if I pack on another 100 lbs or so?
:D

BADBLOWN572
12-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Like I said earler, I have been skiing since 4. I started to wakeboard about 15 years old and now I do both. I guess I am kind of spoiled and I don't enjoy skiing on anything other than glass anymore. Wakeboarding fine, but skiing no. However, if the water is nice, you will never catch me on a wakeboard. Break out the slalom ski and let me go. :) Cant think of a much better day than 105 degrees, glass and a slalom ski. :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
12-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Lake Powell baby..... yeah.....
We used to have some pretty secluded canyons staked out that were we could ski on glass all day.... to bad they are all out of the water right now. :mad:
I really hope it starts snowing more....
Dog house, how far up Lake is that?? Above Halls/ below Good Hope, or is that down on the San Juan arm??

DogHouse
12-30-2004, 10:04 AM
That's 5 or 10 miles up the San Juan arm. That's usually where we go for good ski water, pretty much any time of day unless there's a storm.
So do you go to Apache much? That seems to be where a lot of Tucson boaters like to go. We're out there several weekends each summer.
-brian :cool:

Sleek-Jet
12-30-2004, 10:18 AM
That's 5 or 10 miles up the San Juan arm. That's usually where we go for good ski water, pretty much any time of day unless there's a storm.
So do you go to Apache much? That seems to be where a lot of Tucson boaters like to go. We're out there several weekends each summer.
-brian :cool:
I've never been to Apache... yet. I just moved down here last spring and the boat has been broke. Working on an engine for this year though, and I plan on making Apache a regular hang out.

DogHouse
12-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Here's some of our typical Apache crew. Stop by and say hello if you see us next summer!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/313boats1.jpg
BTW, a lot of us think that Larry's Engine down on Lester is the place to go in Tucson for engine related work in case you don't have a favorite shop yet and need machine work done for your project.
-brian

Sleek-Jet
12-30-2004, 11:01 AM
BTW, a lot of us think that Larry's Engine down on Lester is the place to go in Tucson for engine related work in case you don't have a favorite shop yet and need machine work done for your project.
-brian
I've heard that... :D
My block is down there right now getting machined, I've also have one of his engines in my Cutlass as well.
I'll be sure to stop by and say Hi if I see you guys up there.

h2oski2fast
12-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I've been known to ski a bit. Glassy water gets boring, give me some bumps! Bumps=Air!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8775
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8776

HM
12-30-2004, 03:55 PM
Water skiing is boring, Grandpa. :boxed:

riverbound
12-31-2004, 06:48 PM
I have done it all from slalom to tricks. I have evn tried speed skiing. But lately I have been more into the airchair, mainly because it is too dificult to find glass on parker anymore and the airchair is not affected by chop.

Up 4 River
01-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I just got back from a couple weeks of vacation and saw this new forum and have to say I'm excited to see it. Maybe some of us can use this to get together for some ski sessions locally as well as the river. I'm a skiier at heart, but will get out on the wakeboard every now and then for fun when my buddies have their wakeboard boat out. Here's a picture of me skiing last year.
U4R

superdave013
01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
I've been sking for a few years now. I'm the little dude right in the middle.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9lake_james_12up-med.jpg

RiverDave
01-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Like I said earler, I have been skiing since 4. I started to wakeboard about 15 years old and now I do both. I guess I am kind of spoiled and I don't enjoy skiing on anything other than glass anymore. Wakeboarding fine, but skiing no. However, if the water is nice, you will never catch me on a wakeboard. Break out the slalom ski and let me go. :) Cant think of a much better day than 105 degrees, glass and a slalom ski. :rolleyes:
God damn Danny are you that young? They didn't even have wakeboards when I was 15... As a matter of fact I distinctly remember them just coming up with something called a "Skurfer" right when I was about to turn 15.. which is the forefather of the wakeboard I believe?
RD

Up 4 River
01-03-2005, 04:05 PM
I remember the skurfer coming out, but the first time I rode anything like a wakeboard was the summer going into my Freshman year of high schoolat about 13 or 14 years old. Connely had come out with the Connely Stick which was a competitor to the skurfer. Needless to say neither one of them lasted to long.

Sherpa
01-03-2005, 04:18 PM
excellent post.. I learned when I was 5, riding my mom's slalom ski....Had to
wear my tennis shoes inside the slalom boots..... Grew up in CHico, skiied
on oroville weekly.......... I've rode every boat-towable thingy ever made.
Trick skied, jumpers, (Still have my Skurfer Rage) my connoly HP, kneeboards,
tubes, bought a nice wakeboard last year......
I live for skiing...............
--Sherpa
most bizzare tricks: Made up a platform with a picnic table and benches,
had 4 guys reading waterski magazine with 2 guys skiing right next to the
table. we submitted the pics, but never got any publicity...
most people towed with my boat: 14 kneeboarders..........
5 big guys deep water starts all on singles...................

Up 4 River
01-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I learned when I was 3 years old on a pair of skiis my Dad had modified. He took my Grandpa's old skiis and cut them in half, reshaped them, sanded and painted them. He then put on small boots and brought the rope up through the front of the skiis to take the pressure off of out arms. Probably had a 20' rope behing the 16' Tahiti. This was a pretty inovative idea 23 years ago. Now they sell those type of skiis for kids at most places.
Have not done many tricks, but have skiied slalom and a couple years ago when I was a couple of pounds lighter took some bodyslide lesosns from Mike Mack. Never really got that down, but had a lot of fun trying.

markc
01-04-2005, 11:55 AM
I've been known to ski a bit. Glassy water gets boring, give me some bumps! Bumps=Air!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8775
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8776
I'm with you there !!

superdave013
01-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I learned when I was 3 years old on a pair of skiis my Dad had modified. He took my Grandpa's old skiis and cut them in half, reshaped them, sanded and painted them. He then put on small boots
My dad did the same thing. But he would not attach the rope to the skis. I was a little older. Around 5 or 6.
We used to ski or try to ski on anything we could get.
Shoe skis (before I learned to really barefoot) were fun. Heck, a kid a few houses down took the trucks off his Alva skateboard and we skied on that! That was way pre Skurfer but we stood on it like a wakeboard.

HCS
01-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Wow, a forum for those of us that want to use our boats for something other than transportation to and from the sandbar... :D
Kind of odd placemant, but nice to see it anyway.
Personally, I like good old meat and potatos slalom skiing, no wake boarding, or ski racing or trick skiing, just nice carved turns on glass. :D
So who else ski's on here??
I'll second that.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/637Picture_012.jpg

HCS
01-04-2005, 12:19 PM
God damn Danny are you that young? They didn't even have wakeboards when I was 15... As a matter of fact I distinctly remember them just coming up with something called a "Skurfer" right when I was about to turn 15.. which is the forefather of the wakeboard I believe?
RD
I here ya there. I learned to ski on home made wood boards.

jackpunx
01-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Been skiing since I was 4 years old. Don't get to do it as much as I would like, but still try to do it as often as possible. Probably once a month or so during the summer.
I do it every now and then.. but the conditions have to be right.. Im kinda spoiled.. I'll do it behind a ski boat or wakeboard boat.. but it takes me a lot to get out from behind the wheel of my boat.. I tried wakeskating .. thats pretty cool.. I'll do that again this year.. dosnt take to much energy..lol

6 balls
01-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Been skiing about 28 years. Lived on a lagoon in Carlsbad for 10 years and got spoiled with a semi private slalom course and daily glass.
A little tough to find glass at the river anymore, but still fun to get out and play a bit.
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/riohardyslide.jpg
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/footing2.jpg

Up 4 River
01-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Been skiing about 28 years. Lived on a lagoon in Carlsbad for 10 years and got spoiled with a semi private slalom course and daily glass.
A little tough to find glass at the river anymore, but still fun to get out and play a bit.
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/riohardyslide.jpg
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/footing2.jpg
Nice pic of the bodyslide there up top. There's alsways glass at Parker in the mornings still.

Community
01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
I was in the stadium the day after x-mas, one run with a wet suit, one with out. We were the only boat, it was great. I like to go on Monday's since most people are at work.

Up 4 River
01-10-2005, 04:38 PM
I was in the stadium the day after x-mas, one run with a wet suit, one with out. We were the only boat, it was great. I like to go on Monday's since most people are at work.
Marine Stadium is nice to get some quick skiing in if it's not crowded. Especially if you're the only boat in there. If you're ever looking for an observer or a ski partner one Monday let me know.
U4R

H20skier
01-11-2005, 05:48 AM
You've all got me beaten. Didn't learn to ski until I was in my 20's. Barely got up on a single before they put me on a racing ski. Been retired from that for a while (I'm 65) but still love to ski. Just don't get much of a chance, even though we live on the river across from Needles. If you're up this way and need an observer, let me know. Have been dabbling in wakeboarding also, just for the challenge, but nothing will ever replace skiing for me. Hope I can keep going for another 20 years, despite old knees.

Up 4 River
01-12-2005, 10:08 AM
You've all got me beaten. Didn't learn to ski until I was in my 20's. Barely got up on a single before they put me on a racing ski. Been retired from that for a while (I'm 65) but still love to ski. Just don't get much of a chance, even though we live on the river across from Needles. If you're up this way and need an observer, let me know. Have been dabbling in wakeboarding also, just for the challenge, but nothing will ever replace skiing for me. Hope I can keep going for another 20 years, despite old knees.
You can definately go another 20 years if you want to. Whe I was down at Ski Paradise in Acapulco 2 years ago there was a picture of "Big Al" as he was known skiing the slalom course at 85 years old. Skiiing is about having the drive, desire, and keeping in shape during the off seaosn.

H20skier
01-13-2005, 05:43 AM
You can definately go another 20 years if you want to. Whe I was down at Ski Paradise in Acapulco 2 years ago there was a picture of "Big Al" as he was known skiing the slalom course at 85 years old. Skiiing is about having the drive, desire, and keeping in shape during the off seaosn.
Thanx for the encouragement. Will be doin' my best.

75anthony455
01-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Been sking since I was 6, I'm 40 now and still kickin , I sold my Jet Boat last year to a guy here on these boards, I just bought a 95 Ski Natique with 235 hours on it, The water is colder than a Mo Fo but I was out there the day before new year. I will post some pics of the new boat soon. We are always looking for a 3rd person that wants to come to the lake. We go to San Visente here in San Diego 2 or 3 times a week in the summer, we also head down to Parker AZ at least once a year.

77charger
01-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Nice pic of the bodyslide there up top. There's alsways glass at Parker in the mornings still.
the one of 6 balls and his first boat is the best one ever though!

Blownboat
01-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Are Andy Clark skiis in good condition worth anything anymore??? :confused:

mmered8299
01-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Here is some of this old man. http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/576blowing_a_nut_-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/576Nikis__favorite-med.jpg

TCHB
01-28-2005, 09:21 PM
We just bought a new HO Slalom ski with a center V in the middle of the concave. The ski looks normal in size but really cuts hard. My wife loves the ski becuase it is more forgiving than our last HO.

Hotfish
01-29-2005, 02:58 PM
What size is the Andy Clark your trying to sell? (maybe 100-150 bucks?) Dont see very many people at the lake with them any more. I love mine and having another one built.

77charger
01-29-2005, 07:44 PM
We just bought a new HO Slalom ski with a center V in the middle of the concave. The ski looks normal in size but really cuts hard. My wife loves the ski becuase it is more forgiving than our last HO.
I almost nought that same ski heard alot of good about it.from the guy at wakesports unlimited.I eneded up with a connely instead cause i was getting back into 1 skiing and didnt want to spend the coin at the moment not knowing how long i would be interested in skiing again.Luckily i am happy with the connely for now.
I have been sking for a lon g time got bored of it took a trip to my buddies place got drunk decided to ski and got hooked agian came back wanting a another slalom ski.(the quick story)

Up 4 River
01-31-2005, 10:33 AM
I almost nought that same ski heard alot of good about it.from the guy at wakesports unlimited.I eneded up with a connely instead cause i was getting back into 1 skiing and didnt want to spend the coin at the moment not knowing how long i would be interested in skiing again.Luckily i am happy with the connely for now.
I have been sking for a lon g time got bored of it took a trip to my buddies place got drunk decided to ski and got hooked agian came back wanting a another slalom ski.(the quick story)
I think the ski you're talking about is the HO Venom, but I'm not positive. That's the ski I just bought my Dad for his birthday a couple months ago. He hasn't skiied on it yet, but my buddies have and said it takes less pressure off your back and shoulders when cutting. The ski is wider than normal up top, but they say it does not affect the performance much for an average recreational slalom skiier. I bought the ski at Wakesports Unlimited from my buddy Josh who is the manager over there when the owner Tyler is not working the store.

77charger
01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
the owner was the one i have talked to he was going to give me a killer deal on a close out and no longer on display(or a last years model)not the ho but areally good slalom ski w double boots(i cant remember the brand obrien,conelly? maybe )It was at the san diego store and i just got the urge and couldnt wait til i go down to the san diego area during the same week i was in a buy now mood.
But happy with the ski i ended up with the one he was going to sell me wasnt going to be much more my last kidder had double boots and i could never get use to it he was going to put another set on for me if i wanted it.

Up 4 River
01-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Tyler the owner is a great guy and his store is the only place I've bought from since they opened. Vest, skis, ropes, ect... You name it. I bought my HO CDX with Animal double boots 2 years ago and after a couple of times out I told him the ski was not long enough with how fast it turned. He traded me for a bigger ski, same model no problem. This last summer I took out a chunk in the back of my ski at Parker and took it in and he had one of his guys repair it for me at no charge and then fixed my rear boot because the material was starting to tear.

HBLavey
02-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Every once in a while you'll find some virgin water where an 8,000 pound wakeboard boat hasn't torn up the perfect glass.

77charger
02-01-2005, 05:06 PM
here is the water we had a powell this summer main channel near marker 68

6 balls
02-25-2005, 09:33 PM
the one of 6 balls and his first boat is the best one ever though!
77, do you mean this one? :cool:
http://members.cox.net/dla/images/1stboat.jpg

77charger
02-26-2005, 09:03 PM
thats the one. ;) reminds me when i was a little kid the guys up the street from us also had a cool jet boat and a van with the funky shaped windows(wasnt yours thought they had the ott headers

Flying Tiger
02-27-2005, 09:27 AM
We do both, wakeboarding and skiing.
I like towing skiiers, it's a bit faster, and different.
Though it's 95% wakeboarding from the tower for the kids.
Need to get a good recomendation for a tube.
I have 2 nice ones,, but the kids want something smoother.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_June_04_036-med.jpg

77charger
02-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Need to get a good recomendation for a tube.
I have 2 nice ones,, but the kids want something smoother.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_June_04_036-med.jpg
i got one from target it is about 5.5ft diameter and a solid type(no open area)just flat on top and bottom this thing likes to fly but is still pretty smooth and fun to ride on cant rememebr the cost

Flying Tiger
03-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanx, I'll check Target and that type out.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_June_04_041-med.jpg