PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Arizona

plaster dave
12-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Ok so my girlfriend is fine with moving to Arizona so where is the best place to live in? I want a 30' deep garage if possible, about 2500 to 3500 sq. ft. I dont want to spend more than $350,000.00. Is this possible or am I dreaming?

Kilrtoy
12-30-2004, 07:25 PM
You can live like a king in Surprise for that price
or Sun City
They are both NORTHWEST pHOENIX......
That is where we were looking, Love it there.....its all new

upsman105
12-30-2004, 07:27 PM
if you can find a house that is, or a lot, they go very quickly, we are on a lottery system, if you get picked you get the lot, if not keep looking.

plaster dave
12-30-2004, 07:29 PM
You can live like a king in Surprise for that price
or Sun City
They are both NORTHWEST pHOENIX......
That is where we were looking, Love it there.....its all new
That is where my friend is moving to Suprise but do they offer a garage like that, and how far is Suprise from Phoenix?

plaster dave
12-30-2004, 07:30 PM
if you can find a house that is, or a lot, they go very quickly, we are on a lottery system, if you get picked you get the lot, if not keep looking.
damn really that is some bs

upsman105
12-30-2004, 07:47 PM
to get a garage like that you have to have a custom built, but if you can pay 350 you should be able to find something like that, Surprise is about 30 minutes northwest of downtown phx.

plaster dave
12-30-2004, 07:56 PM
to get a garage like that you have to have a custom built, but if you can pay 350 you should be able to find something like that, Surprise is about 30 minutes northwest of downtown phx.
cool thanks for the info do you know the zip in Suprise I only ask because of your job thanks.

upsman105
12-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Yes the zip code is 85374, and I do live here, selling the house I'm in and moving to a new one at the end of Feb.

upsman105
12-30-2004, 07:59 PM
let me know if you need anything else.

Jordy
12-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Just remember, everything bad happens in the Avenues. That's why we call them the AveNEWS. ;)
For $350K you should be able to find something that would meet your specs. If nothing else, there are pockets of older neighborhoods with big lots and horse property (like where I am) where you can do whatever you want. I'm on just under 1/2 and acre and am in the middle of North Phoenix, like 15 minutes from downtown. They're building like crazy on the West Side, Sun City, Surprise area, but you're an hour out of downtown. Hell, they're building like crazy everywhere anymore, but there are lots of spots that are centrally located that would fit your need. West side, you are close to one lake. I'm pretty much in the middle of 3 lakes here. ;)

Outnumbered
12-30-2004, 10:13 PM
I would have to question 30 minutes to down-town from Surprise. It would only be that fast on a weekend or after rush-hour. Grand Ave blows and until they put in the real 303 loop it just sucks getting in and out of that area. If you work from home than that might be OK.
I just went thru this garage thing and almost none of the tract builders offer the big garage. But there is one that is in the mid-prices that does it--Engle Homes. That is what I just bought. 35' deep on the third bay. The house is about 2,550 sqft with the garage option or 2,697 with a bonus room in lieu of the deep garage. Here is the floorplan and pricing in Vistancia in North Peoria
http://www.englehomes.com/index.cfm?method=Division_floorplan&divCode=043&communityCode=716&Code=1460
about 10 minutes from Lake Pleasant. Nice new area that is booming but still kind of far from down-town. Its too bad they sold out my tract so fast, we are closer and the area is killer. There may be some re-sales available in here, I'll check for you. They do offer this model in other areas too. Go to their web-page map
http://www.englehomes.com/index.cfm?method=Division_AreaMap&divCode=043
and get all the info you need. PM me and I'll give you more info than you want. I'm an appraiser so I get around the neighborhoods a bit.
OL

Jordy
12-30-2004, 10:15 PM
I said an hour out of downtown from Surprise. ;) Oh, and Engle Homes is one of my biggest customers. Don't know how much it could help, but I think every little bit does. :D

Outnumbered
12-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Upsman said its 30 minutes. But you know how those UPS drivers drive :220v: :rollside:

Outnumbered
12-30-2004, 10:21 PM
I said an hour out of downtown from Surprise. ;) Oh, and Engle Homes is one of my biggest customers. Don't know how much it could help, but I think every little bit does. :D
What do you do for them?

Jordy
12-30-2004, 10:22 PM
But you know how those UPS drivers drive :220v: :rollside:
Exactly. I was giving the average, dealing with traffic, not getting paid by the stop or mile or going to jail when you get stopped, kind of time. :cool:

Jordy
12-30-2004, 10:24 PM
What do you do for them?
Power up all their sales and builders trailers. I've got two generators up in your neck of the woods. They had line power at West Wing, but down 99th Ave at Casa del Rey, they don't. I've got 2 generators on that one site. Usually have 10 or more units out to them all over the valley. ;)

Jordy
12-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Upsman said its 30 minutes.
He must have meant by air. :D

Outnumbered
12-30-2004, 10:31 PM
I forgot about Casa Del Rey. I have not checked it out but its not too far from the 101.That may be a place to check.
http://www.englehomes.com/index.cfm?method=Division_floorplan&divCode=043&communityCode=720&Code=1540
Same house is a little cheaper there too.
OL

roln 20s
12-30-2004, 10:32 PM
My neighbor just put his house up for sale- only 2+ years new. Biggest lot in the neighborhood of Dreaming Summit in Litchfield Park (NW Phx area- approx Glendale and Dysart (near Luke AFB). The house is 3050 sq ft, all upgraded, huge mstr with retreat off of master, big RV size gate--set up perfectly, can easily fit a 30'er (garage is only 22' deep), built by US Home, I think he's asking $379K--beautiful neighborhood, plus we could be neighbors :) And I'll even let Jordy come over and hang out :)
I love NW Phx, but the traffic is starting to get bad, but you should be able to find a nice home in the $350K range, but that garage thing may be difficult. Many for sale in my neighborhood have the tandem garage (two cars wide, and one bay is two cars deep- approx 40') These are sweet setups. I believe the homes are around 2500 sq ft and priced in mid to high 200's.
Just food for thought. PM me for any info.
Roln 20s

Outnumbered
12-30-2004, 10:36 PM
My neighbor just put his house up for sale- only 2+ years new. Biggest lot in the neighborhood of Dreaming Summit in Litchfield Park (NW Phx area- approx Glendale and Dysart (near Luke AFB). The house is 3050 sq ft, all upgraded, huge mstr with retreat off of master, big RV size gate--set up perfectly, can easily fit a 30'er (garage is only 22' deep), built by US Home, I think he's asking $379K--beautiful neighborhood, plus we could be neighbors :) And I'll even let Jordy come over and hang out :)
I love NW Phx, but the traffic is starting to get bad, but you should be able to find a nice home in the $350K range, but that garage thing may be difficult. Many for sale in my neighborhood have the tandem garage (two cars wide, and one bay is two cars deep- approx 40') These are sweet setups. I believe the homes are around 2500 sq ft and priced in mid to high 200's.
Just food for thought. PM me for any info.
Roln 20s
Have not talked to you in a while. How have you been? Get a boat yet?
OL

Kurtis500
12-30-2004, 11:15 PM
For that kind of money and a garage spec your looking for you may consider buying land and then a custom home.. If you got the time. Although 350k isnt going very far nowadays.
One question, where will you be working? 10-15 years ago this wasn't a big problem, now it can set you back 2 hours a day with commuting to and from. I spent from 91-97 working for the Rural/Metro fire department on the west side in Litchfield Park and on Grand Avenue. I know the west valley, especially far west valley like the back of my hand, and mostly from before the days of the home explosion. I covered the vast majority of the area out there for the fire department since most was unincorporated and undeveloped. Now its different, the people have moved out that way in mass numbers but the freeway system has yet to catch up. The 101 is the only real addition out there for transportation and the 303 is a road to get yourself killed on. (many stories on that road) I-10 is a nightmare now getting into downtown. Believe it or not, from 91-93 I would travel I-10 going home from Litchfield at 8am and not touch the brake until 43rd ave, only to slow a bit and take the I-17 north exit at 55 mph! From the west side, Grand is packed full of stop lights and you have to go through Sun City/Slow driver city to get into Peoria or out to Surprise. I do like parts of the west side a lot, so much so, I bought 2 acres in Clearwater Farms years ago. I still have it, but am sitting on it right now. Personally, the central corridor is my favorite. I grew up at 7th and Maryland, and now live between Central and 7th street and Montebello. The homes are older but beautiful. The lots are irrigated and the trees are older than me. I run and bike up Central avenue on the Murphy Bridal path (super nice!) I also built a 24x30 shop on the back of my property against the alley last year, so there is a possibility of buying a house and adding a shop too. Everything you need is nearby. In fact, I'll be walking to the Fiesta Bowl parade tommorow morning since it starts at Central and Montebello. All the restaurants in the area are empty for dinner since everyone has gone home to the suburbs after work. I walk into Black Angus, Chilis, Lone Star and the others all the time for dinner and theres no wait (usually). Try that at Arrowhead on a Friday night!
The avenues, (we refer to them as the 'Lanes') is another name for Maryvale. Quite simply, you dont want to live there.

upsman105
12-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Upsman said its 30 minutes. But you know how those UPS drivers drive :220v: :rollside:
I live at union hills and grand, and work at 31st ave and thomas, it takes me 30 to 35 minutes to get there, between 800 and 840 in the a.m., upsmen are smart enough to stay off grand. I would tell you how I do it but the more people that know, the longer it would take me to get there.

BigDogIvan
12-31-2004, 12:01 AM
East side is where you want to be. Alot of growth and alot of jobs. Look in the Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek & Chandler area. Several home builders to be looked at. Tempe, Chandler and Mesa is the Meca of technology. 2 lakes close that can be done on a week day if you desire after work hours.
Just my 2 bits worth :cool: :D
BD

Outnumbered
12-31-2004, 12:10 AM
I live at union hills and grand, and work at 31st ave and thomas, it takes me 30 to 35 minutes to get there, between 800 and 840 in the a.m., upsmen are smart enough to stay off grand. I would tell you how I do it but the more people that know, the longer it would take me to get there.
Just messin' with ya UPSman. Union Hills does not cross Grand. If you are near 114th and Union Hills than you are on the far East end of Surprise, near Peoria. This is not a bad area to commute from but the problem is that Surprise is spread out and most of the new building is going on in the West end of town (better chance of finding a tandem garage with a new house), where all the vacant land is and the commute sux. Lots of blue hair folks out there this time of year.
OL

Outnumbered
12-31-2004, 12:16 AM
East side is where you want to be. Alot of growth and alot of jobs. Look in the Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek & Chandler area. Several home builders to be looked at. Tempe, Chandler and Mesa is the Meca of technology. 2 lakes close that can be done on a week day if you desire after work hours.
Just my 2 bits worth :cool: :D
BD
The growth is going on all around the valley. SE, SW, NW, N, you name it. Being that he is coming from Cali I can tell you that there are several things I like a lot about being on the North West side; it cuts a lot of drive time off the visits back home, its an hour closer to Vegas, its closer to the river, and I'm only 2 hours from Flagstaff and Snow Bowl.
OL

plaster dave
12-31-2004, 02:16 AM
Thank you so much fellow ***boaters you guys have been great. Thanks for all the info and links old lavey. Roln 20's it would be cool having a fellow Howard owner out their. :D

RiverRatMike
12-31-2004, 05:18 AM
I moved to Lake Havasu City here with my g/f May 2003 and bought a new home with a 3 car garage it's 50ft deep. I love it here. Lived in CA all my life, all I can say is NEVER AGAIN!

callbob4homes
12-31-2004, 07:08 AM
after selling homes in Lake Havasu, sorry.............selling garages with homes attached ;) was kind of dissappointed when I moved to Gilbert Az. SE valley. Most garages are only 20 deep! That being said, you can find them. The person that said find the acreage is partly right, but finding it is another story. I just sold a home in Casa Del Ray that starts construction next week. If you are looking for new construction, be prepared to wait 6-9 months and the lottery thing is still going on which may limit your lot selection. So you may get drawn, but not get the lot you wanted depending on where you get drawn. Only so many lots go out at a time. Feel free to use my website
www.callbob4homes.com and look for the MLS button and you can search whatever is available. or you can call me direct and I can do the legwork for you. Phone numbers and email on website. Sorry for the spam, but gotta get out there somehow :D

AZKC
12-31-2004, 07:43 AM
Buy some dirt and build what you want. Screw them HOA's :idea:

Tequila-John
12-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the good info.

Kurtis500
12-31-2004, 08:48 AM
Where do you plan on working at?

Tequila-John
12-31-2004, 09:07 AM
Where do you plan on working at?
We are in the process of opening up an Mortgage lending office in about 3-5 month somewhere around Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa. I will be running the office if I go out there. But need to start looking for a pad now...... Any ideas? I hear Power Ranch is nice.

Jordy
12-31-2004, 09:13 AM
We are in the process of opening up an Mortgage lending office in about 3-5 month somewhere around Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa. I will be running the office if I go out there. But need to start looking for a pad now...... Any ideas? I hear Power Ranch is nice.
Power Ranch, Trilogy, and that whole area are nice. I'd be careful with the builders out there though. All of the homes are built on old farm land which has proven to be somewhat sandy and unstable, and there have been cases of ground settling and homes getting sunken living rooms and garages as an added option, months after the house was completed. The new way to build the pads is with post tensile concrete that ties the foundation together. If you're looking at a house without it, I'd keep looking.
The other part of it, as was mentioned with the west side, getting around in the east valley is still a pain in the ass. From Power Ranch, you have to take Power Rd, which for the most part is 2 lanes in each direction, 6 or so miles up to the only freeway into town from that far east, which is the Superstition. It's better now than it was when I lived in Mesa, but it's still not something I'd want to drive on a daily basis. They are working on a new freeway that will swing though the south east valley, but it's still years from being done.
Just something to consider. :D

Tequila-John
12-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Power Ranch, Trilogy, and that whole area are nice. I'd be careful with the builders out there though. All of the homes are built on old farm land which has proven to be somewhat sandy and unstable, and there have been cases of ground settling and homes getting sunken living rooms and garages as an added option, months after the house was completed. The new way to build the pads is with post tensile concrete that ties the foundation together. If you're looking at a house without it, I'd keep looking.
The other part of it, as was mentioned with the west side, getting around in the east valley is still a pain in the ass. From Power Ranch, you have to take Power Rd, which for the most part is 2 lanes in each direction, 6 or so miles up to the only freeway into town from that far east, which is the Superstition. It's better now than it was when I lived in Mesa, but it's still not something I'd want to drive on a daily basis. They are working on a new freeway that will swing though the south east valley, but it's still years from being done.
Just something to consider. :D
Thanks brother. You have any idea's where I should start looking and getting info from? I hear Superstition is also nice.

boatnam2
12-31-2004, 09:25 AM
damm tj heading out of cali.

Tequila-John
12-31-2004, 09:27 AM
damm tj heading out of cali.
Possible bud. closer to the river :)

callbob4homes
12-31-2004, 09:27 AM
tequila John check your pm's

callbob4homes
12-31-2004, 09:35 AM
It is getting better Jordy, but Power road is still a bitch. I run around that area all the time and Rittenhouse Road is the way to go. The problem is SO MUCH construction going on now, it's hard to say which road to take north or south. Once it's all tied together I think homes are going to go up more if that is possible. The best buys I think are in the Queen Creek area or the Gold Canyon area out east of Apache Junction. You can still buy in gated communities for under 180,000. not anything big, but nice w/ tile roofs and golf courses right there. Larger homes in the 300's same thing in Gilbert now running 400+. Chandler to the south end has some new developments as well but getting pricey. Still cheaper than Cali tho. www.callbob4homes.com

Tequila-John
12-31-2004, 09:39 AM
It is getting better Jordy, but Power road is still a bitch. I run around that area all the time and Rittenhouse Road is the way to go. The problem is SO MUCH construction going on now, it's hard to say which road to take north or south. Once it's all tied together I think homes are going to go up more if that is possible. The best buys I think are in the Queen Creek area or the Gold Canyon area out east of Apache Junction. You can still buy in gated communities for under 180,000. not anything big, but nice w/ tile roofs and golf courses right there. Larger homes in the 300's same thing in Gilbert now running 400+. Chandler to the south end has some new developments as well but getting pricey. Still cheaper than Cali tho. www.callbob4homes.com
CallBob thanks for the info. Like I said in my PM i will try and give you a call this AM.

Jordy
12-31-2004, 09:40 AM
Yep, it gets better all the time, and then they go and screw it all up again. I'm out there all the time. Have generators all over the east valley too. That's my old stomping grounds. :)
Lots and lots of tan stucco and red tile roofs out there. Enough to drive me nuts. I like to be able to recognize my house when I go down the street. Plus, my house is more than 3' from my neighbors. There are some cool customs way south on Ellsworth before Hunt Highway, big lots and spec homes. PhxATC on the boards is having a new house built out there. I just wouldn't want to deal with that north and south traffic to get to the east and west traffic on the 60 everyday. ;)

callbob4homes
12-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Ok John looking forward to talking to you. I sold my folks a house in Coronado Ranch, which is on the the sw corner of the Power Ranch complex and 1 month later listed the exact same house (builder, sq. ft. lot size) one block away and sold it in less than 24 hours and for 21K more than what the folks paid. Mult offers. Inlaws own a home in Power Ranch and 3 homes on their block sold in a weeks time frame of being listed. Lots of new construction in there as well. The Trilogy part is 55+ and has an awesome 36 hole golf course.

callbob4homes
12-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Jordy do you know Kevin Knowles?

IN2MX
12-31-2004, 12:51 PM
And there I thought we were the only ones willing to move there and brave the heat.....Cool!

Tequila-John
12-31-2004, 01:14 PM
And there I thought we were the only ones willing to move there and brave the heat.....Cool!
You thinking of moving there too bud?

Kilrtoy
12-31-2004, 02:14 PM
You guys for AZ crack me up , you have no clue what traffic is. Come to L.A. during 5PM rush hour and you will see traffic. I have been in your rush hour and I am seriously jealous....... What you guys think is bad is a midnight drive here in L.A.

Her454
12-31-2004, 02:16 PM
You guys for AZ crack me up , you have no clue what traffic is. Come to L.A. during 5PM rush hour and you will see traffic. I have been in your rush hour and I am seriously jealous....... What you guys think is bad is a midnight drive here in L.A.
DITTO on the traffic thing, Sac is getting bad too. Hate it.

Kilrtoy
12-31-2004, 02:23 PM
your not going anywhere, you are about to get a raise MRS just got a new ***. Life is great now.....

callbob4homes
12-31-2004, 02:37 PM
kilrtoy, been there done that don't care to do it again thank you very much. I was in the trucking biz in the 70's and 80's and I know it's worse now, but trying to get a load delivered to Long Beach or downtown LA wasn't a walk in the park then either. Although sometimes the scenery was worth it lol. We are just growing too fast out here and the roads aren't wide enough to handle the volume yet. But you are right, there isn't anywhere in this country I have been that that can compare to the sheer volume of traffic from Beaumont on in. Beaumont is the only place I have ever seen that has handicap parking spaces on the breakdown lane tho. :sqeyes: :D

plaster dave
12-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Is there much custom home building going on in arizona cause that is what I do the most?????

callbob4homes
12-31-2004, 03:16 PM
you are kidding right?
Not sure about the ops in Havasu anymore since I left, but here in the Phoenix area (outlying suburbs I guess) you can pretty much pick and chose where to work and for whom. Do a search on Careerbuilder.com or jobs in phoenix in your search bar. Grab some popcorn a coupla beers and be prepared to spend some time. The builders here can't get enough help for all the stuff going up.

plaster dave
12-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Ok but I'm a contractor that does custom plastering.

Kilrtoy
12-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Ok but I'm a contractor that does custom plastering.
Who would have ever guessed.... :D :D :D

plaster dave
12-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Me :D

Kurtis500
01-01-2005, 09:12 AM
I would figure out where your going to work the most. If you work on the west side and buy a house in Gold Canyon or AJ, you will regret it.