PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead Questions

Tremor Therapy
01-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Okay all you Hot Boater's,
We all know other boaters, and after some holiday parties, a couple of my friends have recommended that I give Lake Mead another try this summer. They have told me that there are canyon runs that make the Topock Gorge in Havasu look like a kiddie carnival ride, and that there are expanses of sandy beaches that rival anything you can get upriver.
So my questions to youz guys are, if you were planning a 4-5 day trip to Mead, where would you go? Where do you stay? What do I have to look out for as far as water and weather coniditions, and how long of a haul would it be from San Diego?
Any other info would be greatly appreciated as I have not actually taken my own boat to Mead in 15 years!
Thanks!

THOR
01-05-2005, 10:34 AM
The canyon runs are no more and havent been for a few years. Not enough water.
Beaches need to be hunted and searched for, otherwise you will be overtaken by mud to your knee caps.

dirty old man
01-05-2005, 10:53 AM
As the resident expert for Lake Mead, I concur with the above, the great canyon trips are done for a few years due to the drought, but there are still hundreds of miles of shore line, coves, beaches (and a few hidden rocks) to explore. Check in a few months from now, you're a little early

THOR
01-05-2005, 10:58 AM
dont get me wrong, Mead is my all time favorite and I have been going there for over 30 years, but it isnt what it used to be. I havent been there in 3 years because I want to remember it as it was.

Raisin Wake
01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Gregg Basin has great water for skiing and whatever. Some very nice beaches. It seems to have less wind then other parts of the lake. If the water is higher this year, you could have some great canyon runs. Lot's of fun.