PDA

View Full Version : Kachina Owners!

JB in so cal
01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I have a "***boat-Challenged" friend that is considering the 23'; The sales person is saying the extra $$ for the 496 is not worth 3 to 5 mph over the 6.2.
Chime on in! I told her you can always slow down.
JB

phebus
01-05-2005, 05:29 PM
There is more to bigger displacement than mph. You can go the same speed with a bigger motor at lower rpm= longevity, and acceleration is also improved= quicker planing speeds. I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of a bigger motor, if he doesn't get it, he'll kick himself later. Resale will also be better with the bigger motor down the road.

JB in so cal
01-05-2005, 05:34 PM
The Kachina person is claiming 65 w/the 6.2. The 496 weighs more so the xtra hp cancels out the weight?
Like I said, you can always slow down, but it's hard to give it more if it's not there to begin with. I'm thinking they have a hearty supply of 6.2's in the back.

Dribble
01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Get the BIG one. or you will be sad :cry: :cry: :cry:

Holland
01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I have a 23 foot with a 6.2, Kachina hull is more evfficient than my Caliber 1, But I get 60 to 62 all day with my 6.2. I wish I would have ponied up to the 496 for the pulling power, like skiiers and such. At lake Powell 4000 feet up, the boat is a little draggy and only gets to 55 or so. Seeing as you are already at the $$$$, get the 496. You wont be sorry.

Holland
01-05-2005, 05:40 PM
by the way, the 23 bandit is a bad ass boat... going with a mid cabin I hope???

Holland
01-05-2005, 05:42 PM
The Kachina person is claiming 65 w/the 6.2. The 496 weighs more so the xtra hp cancels out the weight?
Like I said, you can always slow down, but it's hard to give it more if it's not there to begin with. I'm thinking they have a hearty supply of 6.2's in the back.
Didnt see any 6.2's there, but I did see 525HP's and the new 600HP... druel druel.... Oh yea, a couple of teague 900Hp or so...

JB in so cal
01-05-2005, 05:44 PM
by the way, the 23 bandit is a bad ass boat... going with a mid cabin I hope???
Yes. She wants to move the cooler/couch deal around a little. But she has kids, so that's the way to go.

phebus
01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Without targeting any particular boat mfgs., I am shocked at how clueless certain salespeople are when it comes to knowledge of boats. You are definately doing the right thing for your friend coming on here to get information first hand from people that have run the different motors in different boats.

JB in so cal
01-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I know when I got my boat, I knew what I wanted; this is her 3rd boat, but 1st high performance boat so the stuff they're throwing at her is a little different than what she encouontered last couple times around.
I just don't want her to make a decision she'll regret for a couple grand.

Holland
01-05-2005, 07:04 PM
right on.... tell her good luck

KACHINA KEN
01-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Personally I hate both of them, I'm selling mine for peanuts and slapping a 675HP Larry Peto sick mother f'in in 580 in it, it's a blue motor killer.
WORST mistake I made when getting my boat made was cheesing out on the motor. Learn from fellow Hot Boaters mistakes ;) :jawdrop: :D

upsman105
01-05-2005, 07:14 PM
My bandit has the 6.2 in it, love the boat, but only goes about 59 on the gps.

Holland
01-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Personally I hate both of them, I'm selling mine for peanuts and slapping a 675HP Larry Peto sick mother f'in in 580 in it, it's a blue motor killer.
WORST mistake I made when getting my boat made was cheesing out on the motor. Learn from fellow Hot Boaters mistakes ;) :jawdrop: :D
What did you have... I am doing a 525 "Blue Motor." Now you are gonna kill me with a 580... But for a 23, an HO should be sufficient... with kids...

KACHINA KEN
01-05-2005, 07:28 PM
What did you have... I am doing a 525 "Blue Motor." Now you are gonna kill me with a 580... But for a 23, an HO should be sufficient... with kids...
I had the HO. And you will pay 10K extra to get 125 HP less going Merc, and there is no difference in Warranty. Peto is down in Tucson and he's right up in the levels of Pfaff and Teague except he's an AZ native which tips it to him. You should take a look, and if you dont believe me ask Brett over at Kachina. Save some money and go faster, thats a win-win.

Holland
01-05-2005, 07:37 PM
hummmmm.... that is food for thought.... Might have to check into that.

shadow
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I know when I got my boat, I knew what I wanted; this is her 3rd boat, but 1st high performance boat so the stuff they're throwing at her is a little different than what she encouontered last couple times around.
I just don't want her to make a decision she'll regret for a couple grand.
I've never heard of ANYONE saying later that "i should have gotten a smaller motor/less horsepower"

Debbolas
01-05-2005, 08:31 PM
We LOVE our boat, I have the 26ft Force with the standard motor, (not the cool blue one) I wish we had upgraded to the bigger motor. My boat did 65 with 5gallons of gas in it and one person on Lake Pleasant. It also did 55 at Lake Powell with 13 adults in it. The bigger size took the washing machine waves at Lake Powell very well :wink:
I would get the bigger motor....the bow wedge cushion....the privacy curtains....the halceon fire extinguisher...addiditonal cup holders by the drivers feet.....and the trailer guides because Kachina's sit higher up on the trailers than other boats and can be difficult to get on......I would powder coat the railings so they don't get so hot in the sun....and thats all I can think of right now....
Things I LOVE about my boat......ice chest under the rear seat, DVD player, pop up night light, removable ice chest with matching graphics (althought we have YET to take it out of the boat) :wink: excellent one of a kind graphics, storage space, cockpit cover, bow cover, cup holders by the swim step, and thats all I can think of right now.....
The sink isn't really usefull and I would probably trade that for something else...although the water proof storage under the sink is nice, we just never use the sink. Also we have never used the table or the potty.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566boat_almost_in_water-med.jpg
This is my boat :wink:

JB in so cal
01-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Well. I think there may just be another Kachina owner on the water this season...
:cool:

Debbolas
01-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Well. I think there may just be another Kachina owner on the water this season...
:cool:
:clover: The more Kachina owners the better!! :D

upsman105
01-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Debbolas how does your bow cover sit on there, was thinking about getting one. I took my sink out and use the space for an extra ice chest, works great, and is a lot more useful.

Debbolas
01-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I have snaps, it is soooo worth it. We can clean the boat at home and it stays clean (no road dirt) until we get to the river, and if we have to store stuff in there, we snap down the covers and are set.
Some folk don't like the snaps, but the covers are sooooooooooo worth it. :wink:
Yeah, the sink seemed cool, but we haven't used it yet. I like the water proof storage underneath, we keep our ditch bag there. :cool:

upsman105
01-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Drilling that many holes in my baby just scares me.

Debbolas
01-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Well...............we didn't do it, we had Kachina do it for us :D

upsman105
01-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Any kids every scratch themselves or anything like that on those snaps? If you don't mind me asking what did they charge?

Debbolas
01-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't remember it was included when we bought the boat (we got a boat show special, so we got a lot of "free" stuff, DVD player, upgraded stereo, pop up night light, etc...)
No scratching on the snaps, they get hot, but so does the black plate on the floor of the bow that holds the table pole. I've burnt my feet on that more than the snaps have EVER bothered me.

SHOTKALLIN
01-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Also we have never used the table or the potty.
Does anyone use thier potty??? :D

LHC30Victory
01-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Sure wish some enterprising engineer type would come up with a bow cover that is solid, lightweight, secures easily with no snaps or other blemishes.
Oh, and to stay with the original post, get the HO we love BOTH of ours :cool: :cool:

Dr. Eagle
01-05-2005, 09:56 PM
I have a "***boat-Challenged" friend that is considering the 23'; The sales person is saying the extra $$ for the 496 is not worth 3 to 5 mph over the 6.2.
Chime on in! I told her you can always slow down.
JB
The through hull exhaust should make up the 3 to 5 mph... :cool:

upsman105
01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
How fast does she really need to go?? for most people 60m.p.h. on the water is fast enought, not us of course, but most people.

Garrddogg
01-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Didnt see any 6.2's there, but I did see 525HP's and the new 600HP... druel druel.... Oh yea, a couple of teague 900Hp or so...
YOU DIDNT DROOL ON MY 600 DID YOU?!? :)

Garrddogg
01-05-2005, 10:37 PM
OH YEAH the original post,When it comes to HP ALWAYS GO BIG! :D

RiverOtter
01-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Sure wish some enterprising engineer type would come up with a bow cover that is solid, lightweight, secures easily with no snaps or other blemishes.
Oh, and to stay with the original post, get the HO we love BOTH of ours :cool: :cool:
Stingray used to make one of these. Not sure if they still do. I thought I saw it on a CA Custom once. Maybe not. For some reason I think Sunsation makes one that stores under the engine hatch (Might just be dreaming though)

RiverOtter
01-06-2005, 05:22 AM
How fast does she really need to go?? for most people 60m.p.h. on the water is fast enought, not us of course, but most people.
Sure... till somebody passes ya :squiggle:

Holland
01-07-2005, 12:49 PM
YOU DIDNT DROOL ON MY 600 DID YOU?!? :)
Is that yours??? If so let me know, I have a couple pics as it came out of the crate, still had ice on the bottom from the ride...

LHC30Victory
01-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Sure... till somebody passes ya :squiggle:
EXACTLY!

LHC30Victory
01-07-2005, 02:00 PM
...they get hot, but so does the black plate on the floor of the bow that holds the table pole. I've burnt my feet on that more ...
Get the plate powdercoated

Sane Asylum
01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Stingray used to make one of these. Not sure if they still do. I thought I saw it on a CA Custom once. Maybe not. For some reason I think Sunsation makes one that stores under the engine hatch (Might just be dreaming though)
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......that would be the bimini yur talking about......I think the bow's at the front unless you were in Force26's Kachina on the way down......j/k :D :D
Sunsation makes a great bow cover............Don't think they're making a stuff it under the hatch bimini yet.....