PDA

View Full Version : lower back pain from rough water?

SoCal_fun
01-06-2005, 04:30 AM
Anybody else suffering from back pain after a rough trip at sea or on the lake?
After a really rough day at Havazoo last year, I knew I hurt my lower right back by sitting on the top of the seat instead of standing and absorbing the shock. But a year later, I am suffering still and seeing a chiropractor once a week (a little help so far, but still there yet).

Mardonzi
01-06-2005, 05:26 AM
You'd be surprised how often it actually happens. The local emergency room here at Lake Powell sees quite a few people with either disk issues or compression fractures of vertebrae due to hitting wakes too hard (especially the tour boat wakes).

Kachina26
01-06-2005, 06:45 AM
My wife had that alot, then I got it, then we move up to a 26' boat. :D She would be sore for 2 weeks after, it was bad.

GHTRIM
01-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Drop out Bolsters :mix: That will solve it. All of my driving is done standing. Hope you find a fix for the back, back pain SUCKS!!

Steamin' Rice
01-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Use it as an excuse to get a bigger boat... :D

riverbound
01-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Thats why we are buying a bigger boat. :)

lucky
01-06-2005, 09:12 AM
just think about the flat bottom guys - ouch ! :coffeycup

jackpunx
01-06-2005, 10:02 AM
just think about the flat bottom guys - ouch ! :coffeycup
LOL>.. thats why they are so short.. Look at Tony S...LMAO

JB in so cal
01-06-2005, 10:22 AM
After a really rough day at Havazoo last year, I knew I hurt my lower right back by sitting on the top of the seat instead of standing and absorbing the shock. But a year later, I am suffering still and seeing a chiropractor once a week (a little help so far, but still there yet).
Rough day at Havasu? Huh?
By the way, Larry. I PM'd you earlier...

HCS
01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
My back has been screwed up for years from compression. I feel the pain. :(

Boatcop
01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
I've had back trouble for over 20 years that's directly attributed to my chosen profession. It was horrible when we still had the smaller outboards and jet boats. There were some days that I could barely get out of bed.
But since we've been running the Whalers, the problems aren't nearly as bad. Still a little sore and stiff after a big weekend, but nothing like it used to be.
That was one reason that, when I added on to the house, I put a Jacuzzi (Tub, not jet drive :p ) in the new master bath. Let me tell you, that REALLY takes the edge off. Now, instead of a monthly back adjustment, I can get by with only about 2 per year.
(Not to mention that it's a DOUBLE tub. So Mrs. BoatCop and I can ... like... errrr..... you know... ahhh..... save water and stuff. :D :cool: )

HCS
01-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Sounds very nice. I could use both.
Ofcourse not Mrs. BoatCop. But you no what I mean. :D

DryHeatOnly
01-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Buy a 25' Shockwave and you won't have those problems :D :D :D

JB in so cal
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
I've had back trouble for over 20 years that's directly attributed to my chosen profession. It was horrible when we still had the smaller outboards and jet boats. There were some days that I could barely get out of bed.
But since we've been running the Whalers, the problems aren't nearly as bad. Still a little sore and stiff after a big weekend, but nothing like it used to be.
That was one reason that, when I added on to the house, I put a Jacuzzi (Tub, not jet drive :p ) in the new master bath. Let me tell you, that REALLY takes the edge off. Now, instead of a monthly back adjustment, I can get by with only about 2 per year.
(Not to mention that it's a DOUBLE tub. So Mrs. BoatCop and I can ... like... errrr..... you know... ahhh..... save water and stuff. :D :cool: )
So, when this errrr, activity starts on the water, does mrs. Boatcop have the required PFD, flare, sound making device, and sufficient muffling system ready to pass a boarding inspection? Make sure 86db is not an issue!

LUVNLIFE
01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
There's a MrsBoatCop!!!!!! :jawdrop: :2purples: :eek: :D :D

SoCal_fun
01-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Rough day at Havasu? Huh?
By the way, Larry. I PM'd you earlier...
Thanks, I'll check it out.

TCHB
01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I sold my Howard and bought a 25ft Bennington Tri Toon and now my wife feels good all day. Think about how many times you get that hard jolt while sitting down in a day. If I ever decide to get another glass boat I will have to have drop out seats so the leggs can take bumps.

SoCal_fun
01-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Drop out Bolsters :mix: That will solve it. All of my driving is done standing. Hope you find a fix for the back, back pain SUCKS!!
Yea, this would go along great with the bigger boat. My 22footer is a little small for Havasu. It provides lots of family fun for now though. We'll move up in a few years, probably to a 28 Ultra or maybe Howard bullet. :rollside:
Thanks for all the advice, now I just need you all to donate to the fund. lol! :D

HCS
01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
There's a MrsBoatCop!!!!!! :jawdrop: :2purples: :eek: :D :D
What? Is he busted? :devil:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I had L5 to S1 fixed a few years ago......
Once they open up your back it's never the same..... :notam:
Oh....and don't listen to DryHeatOnly.....If you but the 25' Shockwave, you'll just be looking at my transom as well....hehe!!....Sup Sammy!!! :D

Raylar
01-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Started racing boats in 1969 and stopped in 1993 when my orthapedic surgeon had to fuse three vertabrae in my lower spine. Don't fool around with chiropractors on lower back pain and always stand up when in a boat in rough water, whenever you can. Keep yourself in good shape (weight) and do your back excersises daily. Lay flat on a floor on your back and rock your pelvis to push the small of your back flat against the floor, do this about ten times. See a good orthepedic back doctor and get an MRI if the conditions persist. Don't wait!! DON"T SCREW AROUND WITH YOUR SPINE!!Take it from one who new the pain and consequences!!
Ray @ Raylar

superdave013
01-07-2005, 08:29 AM
you guys would not make a good crackerbox driver! lol
Stab N Steer says his rides so rough you can't even see sometimes.