PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radios on the River

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Who has them and who uses them to hail and talk to each other?
What channels do peeps use for conversation?
Finally picked up one since most folks cant either get reception or hear their cells on the water.

PHOTOGLOU
04-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I have one.... Pick a chanel I'll use it....

havasurat27
04-19-2006, 08:23 AM
I have one as well but have never used it. Might be a cool thing for the forum peeps to keep in touch on the water. I don't know what the range would be with all the mountains down the lake or up river?

duffster
04-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I use a handheld VHF when we are out in Havasu with the crew on channel-72. They work good for boat to boat communication with in a mile or two.

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 08:29 AM
I have one.... Pick a chanel I'll use it....
From what I understand, you can use channel 16 to hail folks and identify another channel to go to for conversation. There are so many channels, I am still figuring out which are ok to chat on.....

duffster
04-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Anything but 9 or 16

Phat Matt
04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
I have one but have only used it to check the weather. :)

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Anything but 9 or 16
Ya got me looking and this is part of what I found on the FCC page re marine radios: (http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html#SEC5)
HOW DO I MAKE A CALL USING VOICE CALLING on VHF?
Maintain your watch. Whenever your boat is underway, the radio must be turned on and be tuned to Channel 16 except when being used for messages.
Power. Try one watt first if the station being called is within a few miles. If there is no answer, you may switch to higher power.
Calling coast stations. Call a coast station on its assigned channel. You may use Channel 16 when you do not know the assigned channel.
Calling other ships. Call other ships on Channel 16. You may call on ship-to-ship channels when you know that the ship is listening on both a ship-to-ship channel and Channel 16. NOTE: To do this the ship has to have two separate receivers.
Limits on calling. You must not call the same station for more than 30 seconds at a time. If you do not get a reply, wait at least two minutes before calling again. After three calling periods, wait at least 15 minutes before calling again.
Change channels. After contacting another station on Channel 16, change immediately to a channel which is available for the type of message you want to send.
Station identification. Identify, in English, your station by your FCC call sign, ship name, the state registration number or official number at the beginning and end of each message.

SummitKarl
04-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Who has them and who uses them to hail and talk to each other?
What channels do peeps use for conversation?
Finally picked up one since most folks cant either get reception or hear their cells on the water.
ahhh...so that's what the 10' tall antenna is for on my boat :rollside:
guess I am going to be the Base station :)

riverracerx
04-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Motorola makes a nice FRS radio that works up to 10 miles with about 1000+channels (sub channels). Costco has them for around $69.00 for a pair with rechargeable batteries. They work everywhere in Havasu: From the house to the channel to the boat.

INSman
04-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Chris forgot to mention FRC channel 7-21 if I am not mistaken

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Are the Family Radio Service (FRS) radios in the same bandwidth as the VHF radios? I thought they were two different radio types......

INSman
04-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Are the Family Radio Service (FRS) radios in the same bandwidth as the VHF radios? I thought they were two different radio types......
FRS is different but often times found as an option on some of the nicer vhf radios, like the Standard Horizon model I have (HX471S). On sale now for $245 versus $449 about 6 months ago.

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
we use the FRS radios for launching and retrieving. Makes it easy to launch, go into the bay and wait for the truck/trailer driver and arrange a convenient p/u point. Then when putting the boat into the garage, we have good communication for backing and STOPPING in time. :argue: :)

bilgewiper
04-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Up in the Sacramento river where we do our boating they get used allot, at least by the big boat folks. I have one on my houseboat and have used it for the normal chat. But, what is really nice is that marine Law enforement including Coast Guard monitor it and it's our direct link to them without having to call 911 to report the unsafe idiots endangering the rest of our lives and property. Try cruising thru a marina at 12mph with a big wake with your VHF on and you will realize everybody has your "number"-----it's scary, but good in a away.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-19-2006, 12:11 PM
FRS is UHF Band, 460 MHz......(Part of the CB Band)....
But, why don't you just call my mobile phone? :p
CJG
:idea:

Mandelon
04-19-2006, 12:23 PM
The Dos:
Whenever the radio is on, monitor Channel 16, unless you are communication on another channel;
Before transmitting, listen for 30 seconds to hear if the channel is in use;
At the beginning and end of your transmission, identify your vessel by its name of your radio call sign;
Use Channel 16 or 9 for calling and when contact is made, switch immediately to an unused working channel; (See box)
Set the radio to the low power setting whenever possible; you don;'t need the high power setting to talk to somone across your creek;
Speak slowly and clearly with the microphone about an inch from your mouth; there's no need to shout- it distorts your transmission;
Keep all communications as brief as possible;
The Don'ts:
Don't call the Coast Guard requesting a radio check;
Don't use the VHF radio for transmitting on land;
Don't monopolize any channel with long conversations or idle chatter;
Don't let children use the radio or think it's a toy. don't allow children to play on the boat with no adult present, even in th driveway;
Don't broadcast a Mayday unless there is immediate danger to life or property;
Don't broadcast profanities or insults. It is a criminal offense to transmit obscene, profane or indecent language or meanings;
Don't speak on channel 70; it's reserved for Digital Selective Calling (DSC) only;
Channels Available for Recreational Boats
Distress, Safety, Calling...................................16
Calling........................................... ...............................9
Recreational Use...........................68-69, 71-72, 78
Marine Operator...................................24-28, 84-87
Locks, Canals, Bridges, Pilots..........................13
Digital, Selective Calling (DSC)......................70

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 12:39 PM
CJG
Checked your messages from Saturday yet??????? :cool: :yuk:
Thanks Mandy! That's good info on the channel useage.

Cheap Thrills
04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
CJG
yes on the FRS radios being in the UHF part of the spectrum , (General Mobile Radio Service) frequency allocation.
yes and No on the part of it being in the CB .
No being The original Citizenz Band is in the HF part of the spectrum 26.965 ~ 27.405Mhz.
the yes being that the new FRS frequencies are being dubbed "The New" Citizens Band.
either way I always have my dual band hand held ham radio with me I'm rarely ever out of range of at least 4 repeaters.
C.T. :wink:

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 02:19 PM
either way I always have my dual band hand held ham radio with me I'm rarely ever out of range of at least 4 repeaters.
Show Off :rolleyes: :)

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
04-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I always have my duel band icom with me, search & rescue, and emt bag with me also. KG6DHN= BIGJOE

H20Advantage
04-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Motorola makes a nice FRS radio that works up to 10 miles with about 1000+channels (sub channels). Costco has them for around $69.00 for a pair with rechargeable batteries. They work everywhere in Havasu: From the house to the channel to the boat.
Just picked up two Motorola 12 mile radius FRS radios for $59 at Costco and they worked great last week at the river.

Cheap Thrills
04-19-2006, 02:28 PM
:p the hand held
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft530.jpg
the mobile
http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/tr751a.jpg
one of the base rigs.
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft847.jpg
near future
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/vx7r.jpg
Thanks to rigpix.com for the images
:p

duffster
04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Channel 72-73 is a good channel for Havafew. Monitor them and lets get someting going between us ***boat folks. They could be a good early warning communications system for thing happening on the lake.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Checked your messages from Saturday yet??????? :cool: :yuk:
oh!...... :idea:

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Just picked up this beauty:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/778m72.jpg

Midlife Advantage
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
CJG
jackass, 470MHz and CB is in 27MHz. I cant believe I went into business with you. :rolleyes: KIDDING! of course, FRS sounds like CB nowaday, like I thought it would when it came out.
I have the best Standard radio, that they dont put out anymore. it has;VHF marine, VHF aircraft, FRS, MURS, AM, FM and weather. I would rather talk on Marine with anyone willing to use it right, typically ch 71 is ship to ship, but its nice to switch over to FRS and talk to friends using their Wal Mart radios, like Chris....

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
jackass, 470MHz and CB is in 27MHz. I cant believe I went into business with you. :rolleyes: KIDDING! of course, FRS sounds like CB nowaday, like I thought it would when it came out.
I have the best Standard radio, that they dont put out anymore. it has;VHF marine, VHF aircraft, FRS, MURS, AM, FM and weather. I would rather talk on Marine with anyone willing to use it right, typically ch 71 is ship to ship, but its nice to switch over to FRS and talk to friends using their Wal Mart radios, like Chris....
"Breaker-Breaker".......Dumbass!.....C'mon!
I know it's NOT the HF CB Band......
They call the 460 MHz FRS band a "CB".....
You should leave Denver before the altitude kills off the rest of the good cells....
Hehehehehehe!!!!
CJG

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-19-2006, 07:38 PM
3. Is FRS "UHF CB"?
Yes. FRS is the first and only "UHF CB" in the United States.
FRS is one of eight Citizens Band Radio Services. The others are the original Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS) at 27 MHz, the Low Power Radio Service (LPRS) at 216-217 MHz, the Medical Implants Communications Service (MICS), the Wireless Medical Telemetry Service (WMTS), the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) at 150 MHz, and the Personal Locator Beacon Service at 400 MHz.
The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) at 460 MHz is sometimes described as "the old UHF CB." That description has no legal or historical basis in fact. GMRS is the former Class A of the Citizens Radio Service, never Citizens Band.
There were several classes of Citizens Radio Service, only one of which (not GMRS) was eventually named CB.
The LPRS, although legally a form of CB, only allows certain limited uses including theft tracking, auditory and health care assistance devices and control stations in automated maritime radio networks. No two-way voice communications are permitted in LPRS.
The MICS and the WMTS, although also legally a form of CB, allow only certain kinds of non-voice medical telemetry communications.
The Multi-Use Radio Service (at 150 MHz) is a relatively recent (November 2000) VHF CB service. It permits maximum of 2 watts transmit output power and detachable antennas.
The FCC has recently implemented an additional CB service, "Personal Locator Beacons" (PLBs). These are alerting devices that persons can use in remote areas to summon assistance in emergencies.
FRS, CB, GMRS, LPRS, MICS, WMTS, MURS, and the RCRS (Remote Control Radio Service, for radio remote control) are members of the Personal Radio Services as designated by the FCC. The Personal Radio Services should not be confused with the Personal Communications Services (PCS) in the 900 and 1900 MHz bands.
Top of Page | Frequently Asked Questions | FRS Home Page | PRSG Home Page
4. What are the FRS channels?
Channel (MHz)
1. 462.5625
2. 462.5875
3. 462.6125
4. 462.6375
5. 462.6625
6. 462.6875
7. 462.7125
8. 467.5625
9. 467.5875
10. 467.6125
11. 467.6375
12. 467.6625
13. 467.6875
14. 467.7125
Top of Page | Frequently Asked Questions | FRS Home Page | PRSG Home Page
5. Do I need a license to operate an FRS unit?
No license will be issued. You are already allowed to operate an FRS unit if you are not a representative of a foreign government, and if your authority to operate an FRS unit has not been withdrawn by the FCC, and if you comply with all FRS rules in Part 95, Subpart B-Family Radio Service (FRS).
The FCC does have the power to revoke your authority to use the FRS. It has used this power in a few instances in the CB service.
:yuk:

Midlife Advantage
04-19-2006, 07:39 PM
"Breaker-Breaker".......Dumbass!.....C'mon!
I know it's NOT the HF CB Band......
They call the 460 MHz FRS band a "CB".....
You should leave Denver before the altitude kills off the rest of the good cells....
Hehehehehehe!!!!
CJG
not what you said, sales boy. you said, PART of the CB band...imagine my embarrassment.
you better brush up on the Marine radio usage before you get to rollin with the big-ballers next week! :)

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
not what you said, sales boy. you said, PART of the CB band...imagine my embarrassment.
you better brush up on the Marine radio usage before you get to rollin with the big-ballers next week! :)
Ummmm.....I think I'M correct.....RadioBoy!!!!....... :idea:

LHC30Victory
04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Now Children....
Quit your bickering and stop hijacking this thread!!!!!!!!
Dang Propeller heads :)

ThongMagnet
04-19-2006, 08:22 PM
I got my Midland handhelds for $49each. They came with nickel batteries, battery chargers, and holders 1watt/5watt. Great value. I found them on Amazon.com
I use them around the launch ramp ("hey, you forgot the keys) etc...
Might be fun to have a ***boat forum channel
:rollside:

BajaMike
04-19-2006, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't go boating without a VHF radio, especially in the ocean or any big waterway, like Lake Powell.
On Powell, all the houseboats have them, and the emergency services monitor channel 16. Cell phones don't work at Powell in most places.
From the houseboat, we could talk to the boats with hand held VHFs within about 4 to 5 miles. Hand helds aren't good for much further then that at Powell, but in the ocean, they can be good for 10 to 20 miles.

Brooski
04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
3. Is FRS "UHF CB"?
Yes. FRS is the first and only "UHF CB" in the United States.
FRS is one of eight Citizens Band Radio Services. The others are the original Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS) at 27 MHz, the Low Power Radio Service (LPRS) at 216-217 MHz, the Medical Implants Communications Service (MICS), the Wireless Medical Telemetry Service (WMTS), the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) at 150 MHz, and the Personal Locator Beacon Service at 400 MHz.
:yuk:
Okay, I cant ignore this one. So does MICS provide transponders for locating them at the river or lake, without just looking for the 26' boats? :p :p