PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the old Eliminator 234 Edge

bigq
03-05-2002, 08:46 AM
What is the story on theses hulls. Anyone know how they perform and ride?How would it do in the havasu chop, would it ride on top like most cats?
thanks, Wayne

rivercrazy
03-05-2002, 08:50 AM
I'm not totally sure but I think its more of a modified tunnel than a true cat design. I heard they run pretty damn good. I remember one article on it (can remember which mag) a few years ago that said it ran 80 with 425hp. Too bad they don't offer it anymore.

HavasuDreamin'
03-05-2002, 09:28 AM
I always thought they were great looking boats (without the radar arch). Not sure how they run, obviously they do not have the steps in the sponsons but I would expect you could make them run into the 80+MPH range without to much trouble. Much more than that, you will need to check out the drive! Good Luck!

Sandbar Mike
03-05-2002, 11:08 AM
My Cheetah has a very similar hull to the eliminator edge, I've herd from previous edge owners that they are real rough, although I don't know how true that is. My Cheetah runs very well especially in chop,though I do get airborn pritty easy, one thing I have noticed is my boat is very well balanced, the weight displacment is suprisingly good, I've always had good landings after 2-3ft air.
Has anyone out there driven or rode in an Edge?
Mike

DogHouse
03-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Yeah the two are similar but by no means identical. I happened to be at Havasu one day in my Cheetah, going the same speed & direction alongside an Edge, about 70 through some choppy two footers. Of course we weren't racing. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif I had the small block at the time so I was tapped. He was running more hp and had some mph on me, but his boat was getting squirrely, rocking side to side pretty violently at times, enough that I was able to hang with him for the most part. There seems to be enough difference in the bottoms so that the two boats behave differently in the rough, or at least they did that day. I wouldn't say my boat was riding smooth over that stuff, but at least it was stable. A true cat with more tunnel depth and width will give a better ride than these shallow mod tunnels.
my $0.02, for what it's worth (about 2 cents!)
-Brian
[This message has been edited by DogHouse (edited March 05, 2002).]

Sandbar Mike
03-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Hey Doghouse wazup,
Thats what I have herd, My Dick step father was tellen me not to get my cheetah last season, He previousley owned an edge years ago and swares that it was rough as hell.
He was suprised at how well the Cheetah handled the rough. There must be a difference in tunnel depth.
Mike

bigq
03-05-2002, 01:29 PM
I have been looking at the Cheetah also.I am still deceiding between a V hull and a cat/tunnel. I just don't really like the way a V will ride at speed, but I heard it is better for rough water. We boat 95% of the time in Havasu.I like the 24 Cheetah. What is the size you guys are running?

Sandbar Mike
03-05-2002, 04:02 PM
hey bigq,
This is my first tunnel ever owning, I grew up in deep V hull boats, all I know is once you drive a tunnel or a cat the game completely changes trust me. If for some reason you do go for the V hull don't get anything smaller than a 25ft for Havasu you'll get beat up to bad,
Cheetah has a 23 and a 24 that have identicle hulls, the only difference in the 24 is the rear swim steps are built into the hull, and about 300lbs.
My 24 open bow has a 6.2 377 Mercruiser w bravo 1, it will run my boat around fully loaded at 65mph all day long. The best I've seen is 70 under a light load.
It sounds like doghouse brian is repowering his 23, I hope I don't run into him out there, he'll probably woopen on me.
Damn, Summer better get here quick all this talking is making me crazy.
Mike

bigq
03-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Sandbar Mike:
hey bigq,
My 24 open bow has a 6.2 377 Mercruiser w bravo 1, it will run my boat around fully loaded at 65mph all day long. The best I've seen is 70 under a light load.
Mike, that sound like what I would get. i like that 6.2, good internals and power in a small package. That's good to know it runs 65 with that set-up. I called and talked to Whipple about the SC for that motor and they said about 500hp http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy11.gif .Thanks again for the info.
Wayne

DogHouse
03-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Hey Mike, it's not my little pump gas 588 that you need to be worried about... It's my friend's twin turbo hemi/#4 SSM that will be packing the real heat for the Cheetah camp. Can't wait to go for a ride when that thing gets sorted out!
-Brian

bigq
03-05-2002, 07:55 PM
Something tells me if I get a Cheetah I should get something bigger than the 6.2 Whipple!!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

DogHouse
03-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Oh yeah!!!
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sandbar Mike
03-06-2002, 07:17 AM
My whipple should be on my doorstep in a few day's. When I was picking the power package I could have gotten the 496HO for an added 10K (the wife would have shit twinkies)or go with Whipple for 5K.
I'll let you guys know what it does.
Brian that hemi sounds sick.
let me know how it turns out.
Mike

blown23vee
03-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Picking up on the conversation about the Cheetah tunnels...those of you that have cheetahs maybe you can answer a quandry of mine...I'm considering pulling my motor (built 454 mag w/250 blower) & planting it in a 24' Stilletto (the motor is around 550 horses). Good idea or no?? Is the boat equipped to handle the horses??
Info would be helpful. Thanx

DogHouse
03-07-2002, 09:11 PM
I think that the hull does just fine with hp. I was running about 650hp last year in my 23 (estimated, never dyno'd). This year we rebuilt the motor and dyno'd at 769. We'll see how that runs in a couple weeks when I get everything back together. A friend has 1124hp and a #4 SSM in the back of his. He's still struggling a bit with drive height and prop selection but will hopefully have it sorted out soon. I've heard of other 23/24 tunnels running in the mid 90s with blown 454s. Talk to Cheetah Bob, he's a good guy and will answer any questions you might have about the hull.
-Brian

pleasantcat
03-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Doghouse...appreciate the input. You wouldn't happen to be the white 23' w/burgund & teal graphics & a domed engine cover with a non-blown really built big block would you?? If so are you still buying a 29??
thanks again...blown 23vee (don't be fooled, I'm on a friend's log in right now!!!)

DogHouse
03-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Uh, that depends, did I, er I mean "he" do anything stupid or rude to ya last time at the lake? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Ok, yup, that's me. Guess I'll take my lumps if I deserve them! 29 is on hold for a while. Gonna play with this toy for a while longer and save some money.
I assume you're running a "blown 23' V hull"? What kind of boat is it? Maybe I'll remember with a couple of clues!
-Brian

33daytona
03-09-2002, 03:39 PM
i owned a 89 234 edge open bow it was a nice boat good ride but it isn't as good as a true tunnel
454 mag supercharged 80+ mph

bigq
03-09-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 33daytona:
i owned a 89 234 edge open bow it was a nice boat good ride but it isn't as good as a true tunnel
454 mag supercharged 80+ mph
I thought that was a true tunnel. Arn't the Daytonas, HTM and so on more of a cat style than a tunnel. The tunnel design, I thought had a lower center sponson then the cat. The true cat has no center sponson, right?
Thanks, Wayne

blown23vee
03-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Hey, Doghouse!! My "blown 23'" is a '99 sleek open bow w/blown 454mag--intercooler on the way!!! (only sticks out about 4 inches right now, but the cooler will make the top end stick out of the hatch alot further...no more sleeper!!

future boater
03-11-2002, 02:22 PM
i amnot possible but i think that they sold the molds to somebody. by the way i think tom papp builds a tunnel deck, damn it who was that come to think of it i think there are a couple.

Sandbar Mike
03-11-2002, 02:57 PM
Hey FB
WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY.
SM

future boater
03-11-2002, 05:10 PM
i meant to say positive. i dont know what iwas thinking

CATDADDY
03-11-2002, 10:56 PM
HEY BIGG I OWEND A 93 207 EDGE/DCB. IT RTDES ON TOP OF CHOP. VERY SMOTH RIDE, CARVES TURNS.VERY FUN BOAT.2.5 MERC.80MPH,OPEN BOW. Originally posted by bigq:
What is the story on theses hulls. Anyone know how they perform and ride?How would it do in the havasu chop, would it ride on top like most cats?
thanks, Wayne

33daytona
03-14-2002, 09:18 AM
the 234 edge is classified as a modified vee not a true tunnel the edge doesn't lift like the daytona does

DogHouse
03-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sandbar Mike:
My whipple should be on my doorstep in a few day's. When I was picking the power package I could have gotten the 496HO for an added 10K (the wife would have shit twinkies)or go with Whipple for 5K.
I'll let you guys know what it does.
Brian that hemi sounds sick.
let me know how it turns out.
Mike
Mike, hemi update: my buddy made some test runs this weekend with the boost dialed back to just 8psi (down from 12 in the dyno session). He's still exploring/expanding the envelope, but so far has seen 117 at 6200 rpm. At that point there was still some throttle left. Between that and the lower boost setting, it's clear that the boat will go faster when conditions allow. Slip numbers calculated out to about 7.5%. Handling was good except for a slow porpoise that should be correctable with some small tunnel tabs. He does have full hydraulic steering on the boat so I'm sure that helps in the handling department.
-brian

bigq
03-18-2002, 03:20 PM
Hey Brian,
Is your Hemi friend ina 24' or the 23' like yours? If it is the 24' I assume it is a closed bow.
Thanks, Wayne

Sandbar Mike
03-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Dog House
Thats bad ass, I don't know if I would want to go scare the shit out everyone fast in that small of boat.
What size hull does he have.
I'vet to see this thing.
We should hook up next month and throw back a couple cold ones at Havasu
Thanks for the update
sm

DogHouse
03-18-2002, 06:22 PM
We both have the 23 open bow. He has one or two more ponies than me... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Assuming I can get my bucket o' bolts together in time, we're both planning on BBSPIV the weekend of April 20 at Havasu. Hope to see you guys out there.
-brian

nicks
04-06-2002, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I've ran allisons for the last 15 years but am considering making an offer on a 234 edge. What HP will it take to reach 100 in one of these? Is it possible to blow one over?? I'm in Iowa so I'm not too concerned about handling in rough water but I want to be able to pull skiers. Anyone with advise is appreciated. Thanks Nick

Sandbar Mike
04-08-2002, 11:50 AM
NICKS,
I WOULD SAY 600HP WOULD PROBABLY PUT YOU AROUND 100MPH, DEPENDING ON ROUGH WATER OR WIND YOU COULD PITCH THAT THING EASY.
MIKE (LAKERS)

DogHouse
04-08-2002, 03:47 PM
I don't know about that... The 234 Edge is about the same size/weight as the 23 Cheetah. No reason to think that the bottom is any more efficient. Depending on X dimension, I think it's going to take a lot more than 600 hp to see 100 mph. My motor dyno'd at 769hp/760ft-lbs with headers. In the boat I run manifolds so let's say I lose 20 hp. That's still close to 750, and I haven't seen more than high 80s, maybe 90ish so far at 2300 ft elevation with about 50 gallons of fuel and 4 people on board. Down at Havasu I'll be running closer to that theoretical 750hp because of the elevation, and a lighter load will help. Even so, I don't expect to see triple digits. The drive is mounted very deep on the Cheetahs with the prop shaft about 8-9" below the keel. Unless the Edge has a higher X dimension, I don't think it will be any faster than the Cheetah. You're going to need some HP to get to 100.
-brian

nicks
04-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Sandbar, pitch --easy , don't like the sound of that. Maybe I should stay with the hook and spin. Nick

nicks
04-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, While i'm asking stupid questions I might as well go all the way. The 234 I'm looking at has no engine or outdrive.What about a 300 pro max?? I still have outboard feelings. Thanks Nick

bigq
04-09-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse:
I don't know about that... The 234 Edge is about the same size/weight as the 23 Cheetah. No reason to think that the bottom is any more efficient. Depending on X dimension, I think it's going to take a lot more than 600 hp to see 100 mph. My motor dyno'd at 769hp/760ft-lbs with headers. In the boat I run manifolds so let's say I lose 20 hp. That's still close to 750, and I haven't seen more than high 80s, maybe 90ish so far at 2300 ft elevation with about 50 gallons of fuel and 4 people on board. Down at Havasu I'll be running closer to that theoretical 750hp because of the elevation, and a lighter load will help. Even so, I don't expect to see triple digits. The drive is mounted very deep on the Cheetahs with the prop shaft about 8-9" below the keel. Unless the Edge has a higher X dimension, I don't think it will be any faster than the Cheetah. You're going to need some HP to get to 100.
-brian
I'm with Brian, 600 HP will be around 80 MPH to 85 on a good day.I would say you would need close to 800 to 850, depending on all other factors, to get to 100.

Sandbar Mike
04-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Hey Brian,
The reason for my thinking 600hp is that my cheetah is running a solid 65 loaded up with 320hp.
Dude, my wife put the whipple on hold until we get into the new house (pissed)
Anyhow, I thought if I were to bolt on the whipple for 500hp I would be running in the high 80's. what do you think.
Mike

DogHouse
04-09-2002, 06:59 PM
Uh oh, sorry dude, the CFO has spoken. I know the feeling well. Of course in my case she's usually right! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
You will probably see 80ish with 500 hp, maybe a little more if everything is set up right. Where's your prop shaft located? On the 23, the drive mounting height is limited by the hull/deck seam. The 24 is taller so maybe they can mount the drive a little higher? That would help a lot.
We'll be out at Havasu on Fri 4/19. You gonna be there?
-brian

Sandbar Mike
04-10-2002, 06:29 AM
The CFO is right, sometimes I call her the CEO,
I have a 23 open bow, I think I said I had a twenty four when I was counting in the swim steps. I agree with you on the drive hieght, I was shinning up my prop last week when I did notice how low the drive unit is under the center sponson.
I'm not going to make it out there until the HEAT RUN 4/27. (WE ARE MOVING, SHE GOT HER HOUSE,SHE'S HAPPY) Thank god the move didn't hit in the middle of summer. I'll keep in touch, we'll have to throw back a few.
Mike

mikey
04-17-2002, 06:53 PM
I built a 234 Edge for myself back in 1989. The 234 Edge was a Mod VP design, same bottom as the 20 Sport & 207 Tunnel. They had a wide center pod and smaller out side sponson, much like the current Stokers. The boat was built in both California and Michigan. We built the boat in California starting in late 1988 and ended production about 1995/96. The 234 was very fast in its day, 75+ with the stock 502 Merc package. With the newer props and higher 'X' dimension the same package would run well over 80. The hull handled great, turned like it was on rails and could run over very choppy water. We did build a few 234's with outboards and they ran fine. Either way it will be a great boat.
Mike
Eliminator Boats Parts Manager

bigq
04-17-2002, 10:05 PM
Thanks Mikey,one question for you. Did the open bow verion compromise any of the hadling at all.
Thanks, Wayne

mikey
04-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by bigq:
Thanks Mikey,one question for you. Did the open bow verion compromise any of the hadling at all.
Thanks, Wayne
Most of the boats were built as bow riders, including mine. They were a little slower do to the weight of the bow seat, but it did not seem to change the handling. The only time i noticed a differance was when I had a boat load of people and most were sitting in the bow section.
Mike