PDA

View Full Version : Call Center/Business Outsourcing

91nordic29
01-08-2005, 06:57 AM
really pisses me off. i am going to find a list of companies that do this and BOYCOTT them. starting with AOL! :devil:

a catered life
01-08-2005, 07:01 AM
really pisses me off. i am going to find a list of companies that do this and BOYCOTT them. starting with AOL! :devil:
dell, maytag, uhaul, and the list goes on :burningm:

LilHarley
01-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Bank of America, Citi, AT&T ... and the list gets bigger. :burningm:

Artv
01-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Bank of America, Citi, AT&T ... and the list gets bigger. :burningm:
Dont Forget NISSAN, The call center will be out sourced in four months. Its time for me to start looking for a job. This info was just released to all employes on 01/03/05

Mtg Pro
01-08-2005, 07:27 AM
The list is far greater then you would think.

sleekster
01-08-2005, 07:47 AM
hey we can all thank our republican president who actually wants to give tax incentives to companies who outsources work to india and china etc. when is the working man going to realize that in general the republican party is for big buisness. you can also thank our president for taking away our overtime pay and by the way the bill also states that the employer can work you up to 70 hours a week and you cannot refuse. i get tired of listening to all these people who earn 150 to 200 thousand a year complain about these things hey when are they going to wake up and realize thay are a lot closer to being homeless than they are to bill gates or bob eaton etc. you are still a middle class working man start protecting your lively hood if not for your own sake for the sake of our children what the heck is going to be left for them? our country is in the worst financial shape it's ever been in since this guy has taken office.

91nordic29
01-08-2005, 07:51 AM
hey we can all thank our republican president who actually wants to give tax incentives to companies who outsources work to india and china etc. when is the working man going to realize that in general the republican party is for big buisness. you can also thank our president for taking away our overtime pay and by the way the bill also states that the employer can work you up to 70 hours a week and you cannot refuse. i get tired of listening to all these people who earn 150 to 200 thousand a year complain about these things hey when are they going to wake up and realize thay are a lot closer to being homeless than they are to bill gates or bob eaton etc. you are still a middle class working man start protecting your lively hood if not for your own sake for the sake of our children what the heck is going to be left for them? our country is in the worst financial shape it's ever been in since this guy has taken office.
we are going to get flamed and i know exactly by who(M?). i agree, you cant convince or make people see...

6 Dollar Boat
01-08-2005, 07:53 AM
What is AOL??? :confused: :smile: :yuk:

sleekster
01-08-2005, 08:09 AM
aol is america on line i want clarify one thing i am not a die hard democrat i don't go into the voting machine and pull the democrat lever and leave, in fact i never voted for clinton i always voted for who i liked bush senior, reagan. but as i got older i started to see a pattern develope just a few things here and there, but this guy is out of control. i see the effects of outsourcing and the loss of overtime pay, the impact it has on family's you know these executives were i work teel people we don't get paid for overtime why should you? well these executives do get paid overtime for the extra time they put in it's just called a bonus they get 9-12 month's of there salary as a bonus.

wsuwrhr
01-08-2005, 08:23 AM
I always ask where the call is originating from. If I can't understand them it is pretty obvious, but the call isn't very long if it isn't from the states.
I have bitched long and hard about buying from american made companies, only to get shit sometimes. This WILL not stop until we decide it has to end.
"there is no free lunch"
So when we buy something "cheaper" made outside of america, we really aren't getting a deal. We are actually f ucking ourselves with a stick.
That is my .02 cents, whatever it is worth.
Brian

Kachina26
01-08-2005, 09:21 AM
I always ask where the call is originating from. If I can't understand them it is pretty obvious, but the call isn't very long if it isn't from the states.
I have bitched long and hard about buying from american made companies, only to get shit sometimes. This WILL not stop until we decide it has to end.
"there is no free lunch"
So when we buy something "cheaper" made outside of america, we really aren't getting a deal. We are actually f ucking ourselves with a stick.
That is my .02 cents, whatever it is worth.
Brian
You mean like the "American made" GMC Suburban? Assembled in Mexico or Canada with parts from Mexico, Canada, Germany, Malasia (SP), Thailand, RED China etc. That American made product? Don't kid yourself, if you bought only American made you would be homeless, naked and on foot. It's becoming a global economy and we have to compete. I think part of the way we do that is by leveling the playing field. Making other countries who export products to us adhere to the same labor laws and environmental standards that we have to. Yeah, that's an overly simplistic way of putting it, but it's gotta start somewhere.
And I hate talking to people in India about my computer problems. :mad:

wsuwrhr
01-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I think part of the way we do that is by leveling the playing field. Making other countries who export products to us adhere to the same labor laws and environmental standards that we have to.
that is the problem with the whole deal.
Labor, WAGES, environmental, all insurance, taxes, what else?
The problem is our COSTS of doing business are so high.
Or am I full of s-hit.?
Brian

Flashwave
01-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Ask what country the operator is in and have them transfer you back to the US. They can do it easily.
Outsourcing customer service sucks!
J

LUVNLIFE
01-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Dont Forget NISSAN, The call center will be out sourced in four months. Its time for me to start looking for a job. This info was just released to all employes on 01/03/05
That is an effed up way to say Happy New Year.

LUVNLIFE
01-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Sounds like a good argument for support of the unions ;)

Sleek-Jet
01-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Or am I full of s-hit.?
Brian
Nope, that's the problem.... tax insentives or not, cheap labor in thrid world countries is the reason those jobs are overseas...

Artv
01-08-2005, 10:12 AM
That is an effed up way to say Happy New Year.
Thats what i said. This might be a blessing for me.

LUVNLIFE
01-08-2005, 10:13 AM
That a boy. Just take it and run with it. :wink:

bigq
01-08-2005, 10:46 AM
What bill passed that does overtime like that?

Boatcop
01-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a good argument for support of the unions ;)
Unions are one of the reason that businesses need to outsource to stay competitive.
Most, if not all, unions are black holes that suck money from the workers and strong arm businesses and Government into giving into unrealistic demands.
Don't get me wrong here. Unions served a wonderful purpose, back in the day when businesses trod all over workers and denied them simple rights, priveliges and benefits that most of us take for granted today.
But nearly all of the things that unions fought for 50-100 years ago are now law. Things like minimum wage, breaks, work hours, OT, safe workplaces, etc. Nearly all businesses give basic benefits like health care, retirement plans, etc. voluntarily, since that's how to attract and retain quality people.
Unions push for unrealistic pay, retirement, full health (family) benefits, etc. Look at the California Correction Officer Union for a perfect example.
While all of those things are nice, it's making business look for ways to stay in business. One of those ways is to cut costs associated with doing business. One of those ways is to ship some positions overseas, whre the same job gets done at a fraction of the cost.
Do we really need to pay someone $50,000 a year to answer the phone?
As far as overtime, there are actually very few employees who are going to have overtime cut. The rules are pretty strict. Those making around $24,000 a year (base) will still be eligible for OT, as will a host of other occupations and positions.
No OT means more jobs, since if you are an exempt employee your employer cannot demand that you work OT. They will then need to hire more people to get the same amount of work done. More jobs, more taxes coming in, less people on the public dole.
You can decry big business all you want, but in a capitalistic economy, business runs the show. They create jobs, they create wealth, they pay the majority of taxes. Without them we'd be looking like the old Soviet Union, standing in line for our bread, borscht, and vodka.
Outsourcing didn't begin in January 2001 when W took office. It had been taking place well before that. The groundwork for the concept had been laid during a Democratic administration.
I'd like to see where businesses are getting direct Bush provided tax cuts simply for for shipping jobs overseas. That was a Terry McCauliff liberal mantra during the election, and nothing more.
And if you think it's solely a Republican issue, just look where the majority of Heinz products are made.

Forkin' Crazy
01-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh, yea, sure, blame it all on Bush. You know it is his fault that the tsunami killed all those people. Let's not forget 9/11 what happen in New York! Yep, his fault too! Oh yea, all the illegal immigrants, murders, rapes..... Anything else?
:hammer2:
Who is really to blame? How many of you drive foreign cars/trucks? How many of you look at the tags of the cloths you buy? Whose fault is it?
Well it's a little late to complain now!!!

Kachina26
01-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Or am I full of s-hit.?
Brian
Nope, you got it right there.
Alan, as usual, you said a mouthful. Very well said, calm and rational.

LUVNLIFE
01-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Unions are one of the reason that businesses need to outsource to stay competitive.
Most, if not all, unions are black holes that suck money from the workers and strong arm businesses and Government into giving into unrealistic demands.
Don't get me wrong here. Unions served a wonderful purpose, back in the day when businesses trod all over workers and denied them simple rights, priveliges and benefits that most of us take for granted today.
But nearly all of the things that unions fought for 50-100 years ago are now law. Things like minimum wage, breaks, work hours, OT, safe workplaces, etc. Nearly all businesses give basic benefits like health care, retirement plans, etc. voluntarily, since that's how to attract and retain quality people.
Unions push for unrealistic pay, retirement, full health (family) benefits, etc. Look at the California Correction Officer Union for a perfect example.
While all of those things are nice, it's making business look for ways to stay in business. One of those ways is to cut costs associated with doing business. One of those ways is to ship some positions overseas, whre the same job gets done at a fraction of the cost.
Do we really need to pay someone $50,000 a year to answer the phone?
As far as overtime, there are actually very few employees who are going to have overtime cut. The rules are pretty strict. Those making around $24,000 a year (base) will still be eligible for OT, as will a host of other occupations and positions.
No OT means more jobs, since if you are an exempt employee your employer cannot demand that you work OT. They will then need to hire more people to get the same amount of work done. More jobs, more taxes coming in, less people on the public dole.
You can decry big business all you want, but in a capitalistic economy, business runs the show. They create jobs, they create wealth, they pay the majority of taxes. Without them we'd be looking like the old Soviet Union, standing in line for our bread, borscht, and vodka.
Outsourcing didn't begin in January 2001 when W took office. It had been taking place well before that. The groundwork for the concept had been laid during a Democratic administration.
I'd like to see where businesses are getting direct Bush provided tax cuts simply for for shipping jobs overseas. That was a Terry McCauliff liberal mantra during the election, and nothing more.
And if you think it's solely a Republican issue, just look where the majority of Heinz products are made.
Alan for me unions are like a neccessary evil :D Without them I'd be making $10 an hour and at the mercy of owners trying to run a company in a very competitive field. My union sees to it that I have benefits. retirement, health,and a scale of pay with raises built in. Plus since I am a foreman I get a foremans package on top of my regular rate. May not work for everyone but it does for me and I don't push it on anyone. One thing I know is when the bill on overtime passed I was uneffected. After 8 is time and a half, after 12 is double. Any Sat is time and a half, Sun double. The union made sure of that :D Without them my boss would have me at home during the week and bring me in for twelve hours a day over the weekend. Alan I'm not trying to start an argument but being a police officer you are a member of a union correct? :D :D Again not trying to start a union non union thing. Jees that would be like a Chevy vs. Ford thread :rollside: Just my .02, take care Alan. Cale ;)

LUVNLIFE
01-08-2005, 12:04 PM
One more thought. You can bet the people working in the outsourced countries are getting low pay. That's the reason they outsourced to the area. :D

Boatcop
01-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Not a member of any Union. Remember that Arizona is a "Right to Work" state.
There is a Police Union, but I wouldn't waste my money on them.
They do nothing to help the Officers, unless the Agency recognizes them. Which very few do. They can come in demanding hgher pay, better benefits etc, but the County/City/State, can tell them to pound sand and show them the door.
Slow downs, strikes, sick-outs, etc. for us is against policies and laws over here, and anyone participating in one can be terminated immediately, with no recourse.
Would I like to be paid more? You bet! But not at the cost of selling my soul to a Union. Let's say the Union came in and demanded higher pay, better benefits, shift differential pay, proficiency pay, special assignment pay, etc. for the cops. Let's see. There isn't enough money in the County coffers. So what do they do? Raise property taxes. Instead of paying 2.5% County property tax, it would double to 5%, or higher. What are you guys paying for prop taxes over there? How about Sales tax. Again, the County share would go from 2% to 4% or more. More money out of my pocket.
Any benefit in pay I got would be gobbled up in higher taxes to pay for MY OWN raise! You guys over there would have to sell your vacation homes, which would lower property values all over, which would decrease property tax revenue. People would shop where the sales taxes are lower, again lowering revenue. The county would be forced to raise those taxes again to make up for it, and the cycle starts all over again. That hefty raise would actually COST me money in the long run.
True, I don't make anywhere near as much as cops over in Kalifornia do, but my cost of living is much less, and I do right fine with what I make now. Based on housing costs alone, I probably make more (comparatively) than someone doing the same job for LA County.
The only real benefit from them here is legal representation in case of suits, discipline, etc. But even then, all they get is a letter writer. If a case goes to hearing or court, they will still have to pay out the nose. If I'm sued because of something I did on duty, within regs, policy, and the law, the County will provide all the legal representation I need. If I'm sued for something I did outside the law, regs, or policy, I deserve what I get. Someone who can't abide by rules shouldn't be in this line of work.
In another lifetime I worked at Todd Shipyards in San Pedro. I was forced to join the Shipfitters Union (I was a coppersmith/brazer) I paid them thousands of dollars in dues, (on a $5.00 an hour salary) and when we finished the tanker we were working on, work slowed and I was laid off. I went down to the union hall every day looking for work. There were tons of jobs for laborers, painters, sweepers, etc. But I couldn't do any of those because it was against union "rules" for me to work outside of my specialty. F@#k them.
Not to mention that they used MY money to support politicians that didn't reflect my views, morals and values. I had no say in who they gave money to for campaigns. That's another reason why Kalifornia changed it's political leanings to the left and is in such sad financial shape. The leftys in the assembly and senate cow-towed to every whim of the unions, such as double minimum wage for the fry-guy at Hardies, no fire rules for worthless slackers, and 90% retirement for prison guards.
Nope! Got no need, want, or desire for unions. While some can sit back and relish their special pays and other things that the almighty unions have done for them, think about the higher costs you (actually we all) pay for things, higher taxes, fees and assessments, and other "benefits" the unions have caused.

Tequila-John
01-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Tell you 1 think. The supermarket strick here in Calif. 2003 was bad. But knowing that the Union that my wife paid into sold her and her co-workers ass is that strick makes me pissed. Unions are crap.......

MOBrien
01-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Thats what i said. This might be a blessing for me.
exactly, it's all in how you respond to adversity. Some will let it knock 'em on their ass and can't recover, some will take the blow and move on using it to better themselves. Sounds like you're in the latter bunch....you'll be fine. :cool:

LUVNLIFE
01-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Like I said it's not for everyone and I'm not pushing it on anyone. My union works well in my situation. In 14 years I have never been out of work or had to go on strike. The grocery workers got a raw deal but that strike could have been run differently and made it work. The teamsters are a strong bunch when they all get together. Yes Arizona is a right to work state. I would love to live in Az. but my rate of pay would be cut in half. Sure cost of living is cheaper but toys such as new trucks, boats and motorcycles are not. :D And you gotta have toys. Not saying that some people don't make it work just my opinion. :D

shueman
01-08-2005, 03:03 PM
The PC Help Desk for our American Company is located in Asia.... :mad:

LUVNLIFE
01-08-2005, 03:11 PM
The PC Help Desk for our American Company is located in Asia.... :mad:
When they answer the phone do they say "What you want round eye" :D :D

jbtrailerjim
01-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Or am I full of s-hit.?
Brian
Nope, you are absolutely right! The cost of doing business in California sucks!! All our business continues to do is pay higher insurance, higher taxes, higher rent, higher wages, etc.....But yet anytime I raise my rates to my customers, they all bitch and whine. Then they have the nerve to sit back and make comments to you just because you are a business owner you are rich and those rate increases are going straight into my pocket. Yeah right!!The only thing that has not increased lately is my paycheck. :notam: :mad:

Kilrtoy
01-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Not all unions are bad, but the bosses do live a very good life, Expensive meals, trips, cars and strip clubs.... and the workers are paying for it....