PDA

View Full Version : BoatCop Talk: What's the Dealio on New Teak Surfing Laws?

Flying Tiger
01-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Alan, What's your take?
Has/Is Arizona enacting any new laws like Calif concerning it?
How do you deal with it?
I won't allow it on my boat, but we hang in a circle of friends that do.

Wet Dream
01-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Google a search on it or even do a search in here and pull up the stories of deaths and pass it out to your friends.

91nordic29
01-08-2005, 07:53 AM
i still dont get this "teak surfing law" crap. there is already a law in most states that you cannot be hanging outside the boat while underway or when motor is on. people talk about the dangers of carbon monoxide... what about the flippin propellor?? common sense people!!! For cryin out loud, even a ski/tow rope has to be a minimum length.DUH! :mad:
PS, TPC, not flaming you.
i just wonder why a law is needed in the first place. oh, is it illegal to put you hand in the garbage disposal?

jdogginla
01-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I wasn't sure what teak surfing was..........so I looked it up. What kind of brainiac would hang onto the back of running boat! One would think that a prop would hurt alot!@%$@# :hammer2:

Boatcop
01-08-2005, 08:02 AM
California's teak surfing (or more accurately, teak "dragging") law wasn't needed and was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction from the legislators to make them feel like they were doing something worthwhile.
The practice is already illegal under the Careless, Reckless, Negligent laws that every State has. Any boat operation that has the potential to cause injury to persons or damage to property falls into this category.
I would write someone up, or maybe even arrest them, for teak dragging in a heart beat. And it WOULD stand up in court since there is substantial data that proves that such operation kills people.
If we had specific laws outlining every prohibited or unsafe practice, the law books would read like the King James Bible.
Arizona may follow California and add teak dragging to the list of prohibited acts, but the absence of such a law doesn't make doing it legal.

Flying Tiger
01-08-2005, 09:01 AM
California's teak surfing (or more accurately, teak "dragging") law wasn't needed and was nothing more than a knee jerk reaction from the legislators to make them feel like they were doing something worthwhile.
The practice is already illegal under the Careless, Reckless, Negligent laws that every State has. Any boat operation that has the potential to cause injury to persons or damage to property falls into this category.
I would write someone up, or maybe even arrest them, for teak dragging in a heart beat. And it WOULD stand up in court since there is substantial data that proves that such operation kills people.
If we had specific laws outlining every prohibited or unsafe practice, the law books would read like the King James Bible.
Arizona may follow California and add teak dragging to the list of prohibited acts, but the absence of such a law doesn't make doing it legal.
I have printed several copies of your reply,, and will distribute them to the kids on the boat when the suggestion comes up,, and to my circle of friends.
It's the final word in my book.

HCS
01-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Ya. do a search. It's assnine. :hammerhea

burtandnancy
01-08-2005, 09:51 AM
you can't outlaw STUPIDITY

Havasu_Dreamin
01-08-2005, 09:53 AM
It's a stupid activity and those that continue to engage in it can suffer the consequences with no sympathy.

Sleek-Jet
01-08-2005, 09:55 AM
you can't outlaw STUPIDITY
...no, but they are trying. :mad:

hoolign
01-08-2005, 10:17 AM
It should be 100% legal...thin out the "stupidity" genepool a bit, it should be made a sanctioned sport, right along with parachuteless jumping , and javelin catching! :idea:

Shark In The Pond
01-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Never put your junk near a spinning blade :crossx:

Havasu_Dreamin
01-08-2005, 10:33 AM
javelin catching! :idea:
I already get paid to do that! :2purples: :)

hoolign
01-08-2005, 10:36 AM
well then you could be the judge! :D :jawdrop:

beer hunter
01-08-2005, 10:37 AM
And all this time I thought you were a bulletproof vest tester :D

Havasu_Dreamin
01-08-2005, 10:46 AM
And all this time I thought you were a bulletproof vest tester :D
I do both, have to pay for the boat somehow. :cool:

Rexone
01-08-2005, 12:04 PM
I won't allow it on my boat, but we hang in a circle of friends that do.
CO kills. And you don't know it till you're dead as it is odorless. nuff said.
Sounds like your friends have been lucky so far.

JetBoatRich
01-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Teak Surfing = Stupidity and/or death :boxingguy

BarryMac
01-08-2005, 12:36 PM
You have to be a moron to do something like this...

Raisin Wake
01-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Found this link interesting.
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/grants/carbon_monoxide.htm
Just look at to CO accumulating behind that boat.(hald way down the page) Azaming example of why this is such a stupid activity.