PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion Prevention: What Do You Do?

Flying Tiger
01-09-2005, 12:39 PM
What steps do you take to keep Scorpions outta your property/home/RV?
I know for sure Insecticides have no effect.
What are the tricks too Scorpion prevention?
--------------------------------------------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/ljowdy/myhomepage/setupz.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Havasu_Dreamin
01-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Never had a problem with them at the Havasu house.

hoolign
01-09-2005, 01:12 PM
The steps are..cautious ones :idea: try hanging one on the fence..ooops my bad that's for coyotes ;)

Forkin' Crazy
01-09-2005, 01:14 PM
http://www.desertusa.com/oct96/Scorp_uv.jpg
http://www.desertusa.com/images/page_logo.jpg
Scorpions are difficult to control with insecticides alone. Therefore, the first control strategy is to modify the area surrounding a house.
Remove all trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks and other objects from around the home.
Keep grass closely mowed near the home. Prune bushes and overhanging tree branches away from the house. Tree branches can provide a path to the roof for scorpions.
Store garbage containers in a frame that allows them to rest above ground level.
Never bring firewood inside the house unless it is placed directly on the fire.
Install weather-stripping around loose fitting doors and windows.
Plug weep holes in brick veneer homes with steel wool, pieces of nylon scouring pad or small squares of screen wire.
Caulk around roof eaves, pipes and any other cracks into the home.
Keep window screens in good repair. Make sure they fit tightly in the window frame.
http://www.desertusa.com/oct96/du_scorpion.html
http://www.e-bug.net/pests/scorpions.shtml

TCHB
01-09-2005, 01:17 PM
At our home in Havasu we have seen them around the pool area. My wife said enough and has the house sprayed once a month. Keep everthing you can off the ground. The little pests sleep during the day and come out at night looking for water and insects. Good Luck!

TCHB
01-09-2005, 01:23 PM
In the southwestern United States, Arizona is home to a large number of bark scorpions. Arizona is also home of the only scorpion antivenin program in North America. Scorpion antivenin is used to treat severe scorpion stings. Marilyn Bloom directs of the Arizona State University Scorpion Antivenin Program. She reports that despite the large number of people and scorpions in Arizona, only about 100 stings each year receive scorpion antivenin, and most of those are either young children or elderly adults. Most important for severe scorpion stings is immediate access to medical treatment, whether or not antivenin is available. In less developed countries, lack of transportation to medical care contributes to higher numbers of scorpion stings resulting in illness or death. No scorpion sting-related death has been reported in Arizona for more than 40 years.
Marilyn Bloom's advice to avoid a scorpion sting is simple. "Don't put your fingers or toes where you can't see them," she says. If you think scorpions are around, shake out your clothes and shoes before putting them on, especially if you are outdoors. Always wear shoes when outdoors, particularly around swimming pools or other water sources. If you find scorpions in your home be sue to look under your bed linens before getting into bed. Also, remember scorpions are active at night. Watch out for them after dark. Most importantly, never play with scorpions. Even though they are interesting, they are wild creatures and might hurt you.

XtrmWakeborder
01-09-2005, 02:41 PM
MY SISTER N LAW STEPED ON ONE IN HER HOUSE,bear foot ,its like a bee sting :frown:
I stepped on one at parker, that shit hurt like hell. My foot was so big.

Floored
01-09-2005, 03:19 PM
bark scorpion sting does hurt and caused my throat to close up until doc gave me an antihistamine to counteract the effects. cheap method , told by exterminator is, bury coffee cans 3/4 way in ground and fill most way up with water and they go in after water and drown. they are also repelled by Citronella oil, spray it around the outside of you house around the base of the house and fences then they move next door!! :crossx:

LAVEYSABRE575
01-09-2005, 04:28 PM
i use parker pest control once a month no problems every once in awhile ill notice one next to the base boards there always dead .I still do the ritual of checking the beds, couch etc. every time were out...derek

shueman
01-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Adopt a mearcat.....they eat 'em ALIVE...!!!

RiverRatMike
01-09-2005, 04:40 PM
no problems here at my home in Havasu. Only have see them outside every once in a while but it's rare to see them here

Kilrtoy
01-09-2005, 04:49 PM
MEARCAT, looks like it will eat more than just that
http://www.moss-foto.com/dpix/pix/lr_2894.jpg

LAVEYSABRE575
01-09-2005, 04:54 PM
those mearcats are some mean little bastards...

LHC30Victory
01-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Last summer after a dinner at the Golden Horshoe, we were standing in the parking lot and I looked down to see a little pale scorpion walking toward Mimi's foot. Boy did she jump :2purples:

Rexone
01-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I have them in Upland too but have not had any in house yet.
:hammer2: works good :D

LHC30Victory
01-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I have them in Upland too but have not had any in house yet.
:hammer2: works good :D
OH SH*T! Keep 'em at your place, please

Magic34
01-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I live in some orange groves in AZ and we have a crap load of them.
By spraying, you are ridding them or their food supply, so that helps and some sprays do kill them, it just takes a long time. Since they don't lick their feet, they do not ingest the spray, but it will eat away at their body over a period of time if they get the spray on them.
I have the house sprayed, including the entire yard (3/4 acre) and every once in a while I grab a hammer and flashlight and patrol the outer house and walls. They love the cinder block walls. I used to find 6-8 a night, but since I started killing them off, the numbers have dwindled a lot. Now I usually find 1-2 when I check the outer house and walls.
I have been at neighbor's houses where we have killed over 20 in one night.
It will really freak you out when you find a female with babies on her back and whe you try to smash them with a hammer they go all over the place. (Just fresked myself out again). When I find one of those, I spray the crap out of it then smash it over and over again. I was also going to try to torch one next time I found it like that.
Also keep you trees trimmed off the ground and the less ground shrubs, the better.
If you have crickets, get rid of them, because they love those crickets.

NOTALENT
01-10-2005, 11:00 AM
we just put "Dust" all around the house..we use a leaf blower and shoot it through underneath the house..and we also put it around the beads..I have not seen anything in the last 2 years exept for outside the house...works great.

VEGASBABY
01-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Move!

SCUBA STEVE
01-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I live in some orange groves in AZ and we have a crap load of them.
By spraying, you are ridding them or their food supply, so that helps and some sprays do kill them, it just takes a long time. Since they don't lick their feet, they do not ingest the spray, but it will eat away at their body over a period of time if they get the spray on them.
I have the house sprayed, including the entire yard (3/4 acre) and every once in a while I grab a hammer and flashlight and patrol the outer house and walls. They love the cinder block walls. I used to find 6-8 a night, but since I started killing them off, the numbers have dwindled a lot. Now I usually find 1-2 when I check the outer house and walls.
I have been at neighbor's houses where we have killed over 20 in one night.
It will really freak you out when you find a female with babies on her back and whe you try to smash them with a hammer they go all over the place. (Just fresked myself out again). When I find one of those, I spray the crap out of it then smash it over and over again. I was also going to try to torch one next time I found it like that.
Also keep you trees trimmed off the ground and the less ground shrubs, the better.
If you have crickets, get rid of them, because they love those crickets.
We get our house sprayed as well. We had a ton of them when we first moved, in August, have only seen a few since we started spraying. The ones we did see were already on their way to their death bed. Its been a good 2 months since our last sighting. :boxingguy

Artv
01-10-2005, 12:57 PM
We get our house sprayed as well. We had a ton of them when we first moved, in August, have only seen a few since we started spraying. The ones we did see were already on their way to their death bed. Its been a good 2 months since our last sighting. :boxingguy
Hey scuba, how often do you spray? I Bought a house in Goodyear, AZ and i know they will be problem.

Jordy
01-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Knock on wood, I've only had one in 4 1/2 years in my house. I caught him, put him in a jar and made an example for all his little buddies. I'd shake the jar up and have him pissed off every time I walked by.
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but diatomacious earth, like you'd use for a swimming pool filter will kill them. Just spread it around like a fire line around your doors and foundation and when they crawl through it, the DE cuts through their exoskeletons and kills them.
If you think you don't have them, walk around with a black light and you'll be surprised. Even after you sweep the place with the hammer and flashlight. They can hide from white light, but the black light gives them away.

phebus
01-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Got one once, and put him in a jar. Put the jar in the freezer for a day to kill him, and was going to encase it in resin. Took the frozen bugger out, and put it on the kitchen counter while i got the resin together to cast. Came back a little while later to work on it, and he was gone!! Had trouble sleping that night. Guess freezing doesn't kill them.

surfer2001
01-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Scorpion Sting “Ouch”
WAY HUNG OVER, Sunday morning 6:30 river house (Parker Dam) deep sleep, suddenly I felt a pinch on my foot. I tore off the covers to find a brown scorpion running at full speed towards my wife. I screamed “get out bed now.” She ran to the kitchen too get a glass, and seconds later I had our intruder captive.
Our House is 7 months new, double pain windows, rubber sealed doors, no way to get in, but this is the second scorpion visitor we’ve found. Moral of the story, check your bed & never say never. These critters can find a way in. I still can’t figure it out.__________________
Surfer2001
I have since looked deeply into this, because we have our 4 year old granddaughter stay with us all the time. Turns out AZ Bark Scorpions are the only medically significant scorpions in North America; also this species is the only one that can craw horizontally on walls. As some else said, keep the area around your house spotless and remove all their food. (no spiders, or other small insects). That’s all you can do, according to my research scorpions resists chemicals, and they can tolerate all kinds of poisons. These bugs can survive a year on one drop of water, and live a very long life, up to 10 years.

Magic34
01-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Got one once, and put him in a jar. Put the jar in the freezer for a day to kill him, and was going to encase it in resin. Took the frozen bugger out, and put it on the kitchen counter while i got the resin together to cast. Came back a little while later to work on it, and he was gone!! Had trouble sleping that night. Guess freezing doesn't kill them.
It's really weird. You could have left in in the freezer a few weeks and he would have done the same thing. You can also wrap them up in a plastic bag, airtight, and undo it in a month and it'll come back to life. Get a bigger :hammer2:

Rexone
01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Try :hammer2: first then freeze. Problem over.

Tom Brown
01-10-2005, 04:07 PM
You could try using the oxy/acetyline. I'd think a neutral flame would be best. A second scorpion would come in handy as fill material.

Her454
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Probably a stupid question but...Im allergic to Bee stings etc and carry a kit.....is it the same type of reaction? I used to have them in my house in Havasu every once in awhile but outside on the North side of the house at night they were all along the wall of it, used to creep me out and thank God I never got stung...... :yuk:

Schiada76
01-10-2005, 04:12 PM
They had a special on Discovery once showing a brother in North Africa eating them...........................................ali ve. he just plucked the stinger off and popped them in his mouth.
You could:
A; Eat them yourself.
B; Get that guy from Africa to eat them for you. :rollside:

Sane Asylum
01-10-2005, 04:16 PM
MEARCAT, looks like it will eat more than just that
http://www.moss-foto.com/dpix/pix/lr_2894.jpg
I want one for the hell of it...............They just look like they don't give a chit......

Sane Asylum
01-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey scuba, how often do you spray? I Bought a house in Goodyear, AZ and i know they will be problem.
ArtV...........Where are you in goodyear??......We're in Estrella Mountain Ranch......
Are you a "Pleasant" guy??
Lemme know.....

Sane Asylum
01-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Try :hammer2: first then freeze. Problem over.
LMAO..............We were shooting a small amount of tequila one night and put some in the jar with one of the little bastads........
He started shooting his scorpion gun and yelling Arriba.....(he was actually doin kindof a mexican scorpion hat dance)

surfer2001
01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Her454]Probably a stupid question but...Im allergic to Bee stings etc and carry a kit.....is it the same type of reaction? I used to have them in my house in Havasu every once in awhile but outside on the North side of the house at night they were all along the wall of it
Yes, you could have a sever reaction to a sting. If I were you, I’d have a plan ready. Know the phone number for the Poison Control Center and where to find scorpion anti venom.
Note: I keep two large BLACK LIGHTS in my house, and I inspect the house before I let my wife and guest come in.

TCHB
01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I have found one on the side of the stucco about 9 feet up in Havsasu. I had to knock him down and fight him one on one. I won but I know he has other friends. I though about getting a torch and go around the outside of the house and burn them up before the have babie scorpions.

lokinutz
01-10-2005, 07:41 PM
I have worked as a paramedic for about 6 years now in Phoenix and the surrounding area and have seen MANY scorpion stings. I haven't seen it written in any medical literature that there is any correlation between being allergic to bee and scorpion stings. Like said before, the bark scorpion is the one which can be deadly, and very rarely the antivenom is given if stung by one. The sting attacks your nervous system and you get all kinds of wierd effects, like rapid eye movement, and this thing called "bag of worms". It looks like you have worms inside your tounge. It looks crazy. Usually you only get the antivenom if you are having an EXTREME reaction, as you can only get the anivenom once in your life. So, the docs try not to give it if they dont absolutely have to. I also believe all the ERs in AZ have the antivenom. The scorpion stings can be scary, but very, very, rarely lethal in the southwest. To answer your other question, it isn't the same reaction, and there is no kit you can carry.

Artv
01-10-2005, 07:56 PM
ArtV...........Where are you in goodyear??......We're in Estrella Mountain Ranch......
Are you a "Pleasant" guy??
Lemme know.....
Actually I am moving off of the exit "Estrella Pkwy" in the tracks called "Villages at Centera". Just two miles south of the 10 fwy. The house should be done in June so they say but all the updates are sounding that it may be sooner!
I am a pleasant guy, with a wonderful fiance and baby girl! How about yourself?

shueman
01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
I have found one on the side of the stucco about 9 feet up in Havsasu. I had to knock him down and fight him one on one. I won but I know he has other friends. I though about getting a torch and go around the outside of the house and burn them up before the have babie scorpions.
I was at a Marine shop in South Havi last summer getting some parts. The guy behind the counter goes, "just a minute".....reaches under the counter, pulls out a big BBQ fork, and causally walks out onto the sales floor, looks behind a display rack, STABS THIS HUGE SCORPION with the fork, comes back, dumps the beast into the trash, then says, "now what size did you need"..... :rolleyes: Shiat....no big deal to him, I guess.... :yuk:

Sane Asylum
01-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Actually I am moving off of the exit "Estrella Pkwy" in the tracks called "Villages at Centera". Just two miles south of the 10 fwy. The house should be done in June so they say but all the updates are sounding that it may be sooner!
I am a pleasant guy, with a wonderful fiance and baby girl! How about yourself?
ArtV...........I live in Estrella Mountain Ranch......About 8 miles farther south down the parkway. The area you're moving to is very nice.....I'm sure you'll enjoy.
I was asking about "Pleasant" because Lake Pleasant is the closest lake......Some people hate pleasant but I enjoy the lake. We're up there almost every weekend. It's especially nice when they open up the river.
Stay in touch.....We've got a ton of friends that call themselves boaters but they're really just drinkers with a boat.... :D :D

Artv
01-11-2005, 08:00 AM
ArtV...........I live in Estrella Mountain Ranch......About 8 miles farther south down the parkway. The area you're moving to is very nice.....I'm sure you'll enjoy.
I was asking about "Pleasant" because Lake Pleasant is the closest lake......Some people hate pleasant but I enjoy the lake. We're up there almost every weekend. It's especially nice when they open up the river.
Stay in touch.....We've got a ton of friends that call themselves boaters but they're really just drinkers with a boat.... :D :D
Once the house is done we need to hook up at Pleasant for a day.

JackieV
01-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Once the house is done we need to hook up at Pleasant for a day.
Honey, I am so scared now :supp: ! I read all these stories about these evil little bugs and now I am freaken out! I don't want to die from one of these things, what about Jeslyn! We can't let her play out side now in the back by herself, shoot we can't even go out at all. You and I are going to have to check out the house completely before moving in or bringing the baby.
Can you die from a Scorpion sting? Can babies get severely hurt? :confused:
Glad to know about that Pleasant Lake, it makes me feel like we are more at home to know there is a close by lake to play at...
See ya later! And make sure to bring home that bacon baby! :D

Forkin' Crazy
01-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I read that the poison is a protein and can be denatured (neutralized). This is done by high voltage, low amperage, DC current. So the next time some one gets stung, pull a plug wire off the BBC, place the plug wire on the affected area, ground the other side, and spin it over a few times.... :220v: Side affects are muscle spasms and rapid eye movement...
So, no worry!
LOL!!!:D

lokinutz
01-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Thats funny chit...

mbrown2
01-11-2005, 10:59 AM
I have had a monthly service in Parker come out for the last 3 years....(knock on wood), in that time, I have only found 1 living in all that time...found 4-5 during that time dead...

surfer2001
01-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Best Management Practices - Bark Scorpion
Background: There are several species of scorpions in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and
Southern California. The bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) is one of the only species
with a potentially lethal sting. Like most predators, scorpions tend to forage in distinct and
separate territories and return to the same area night after night. They may enter homes
when their territory has been disrupted by construction, tree removal, or other disturbances.
Description: Bark scorpions are smaller than most scorpions (1-2 inches long). The pincers
are long and thin, and its abdominal segments are longer and more slender than other
scorpions. The color may vary from light tan to a darker golden brown. It is also the only
scorpion that curls its tail to the side while at rest.
Bark scorpions like to climb on and hide under the bark of trees. They are common in
riparian areas (mesquite, cottonwood, and sycamore groves). Bark scorpions are nighttime
feeders found most commonly near irrigated areas, pools, in palm trees, and wooden
fences and on the walls in homes.
Bark scorpions can climb walls and walk across ceilings. It can show up in bathtubs, sinks,
and beds having fallen from the ceiling. Bark scorpions are active when nighttime temperatures
are above 77° F. They are less active during the hottest part of the summer and
are inactive during the winter where it is cold.
Management: If bark scorpions are found in a house or commercial facility, it is important
to focus on 2 key areas: (1) entry points into the structure (or property), and (2) scorpion
harborage areas.
Entry Points:
• A thorough inspection is required to locate and then seal all openings, cracks and
crevices to prevent future entry by scorpions. Caulking material can be used to seal
small cracks. Larger openings may need to be filled with steel or copper wool, or
expanding foam products.
Harborage Areas:
• Scorpions move into yards to feed on insects attracted to lights and moisture associated
with human habitation. Scorpions hide during the day and can be found around and
under rocks, bark, wood piles, and other debris. Extensive use of landscape rock can
create excellent scorpion harborages and are important areas to inspect. It is important
to remove or treat these harborages in order to reduce the scorpion population.
FMC Specialty Products Business
1735 Market Street • Philadelphia, PA 19103 • 800-321-1FMC
Inside the structure:
• Due to its ability to climb, bark scorpions can be found in ceilings, attics and in rooms
on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
• Dusting or fogging of attic: Use dusts or foggers labeled for scorpions in attics or drop
ceilings. Dusts have a longer residual. Evidence of an infestation includes scorpion
carcasses in light covers. In most drop ceilings, dusts will not be appropriate as the
dust often falls or filters through spaces around tiles and lights.
• Use dust or fogger in crawl spaces or voids under structures.
• Use dust or crack and crevice aerosols in wall voids. Access walls via electrical outlets
(always use caution to avoid shock) or any other penetration into voids.
• Set out glue traps along walls as monitoring and control devices.
• Spot treating corners and areas where scorpions can hide will help reduce their
populations. Use Talstar® Termiticide/Insecticide or Talstar® F Insecticide/Miticide in a
0.06% suspension. Apply with a compressed air sprayer using a coarse, low-pressure
spray not to exceed 25 PSI. Repeat applications should be limited to no more than
once per seven days.
Outside the structure:
Once the inside is thoroughly treated with the above recommendations, protect the
structure from reinfestation with an exterior barrier.
• Perimeter treatment: Treat a 6-10 ft band out from the exterior perimeter of structure.
Using Talstar® Termiticide/Insecticide or Talstar® F Insecticide/Miticide in sufficient
water (up to 10 gallons per 1000 square feet) to ensure 1 fluid ounce of concentrate is
applied per 1000 square feet. Focus on entry points: around windows and doors, along
foundations, along eaves (remember this scorpion is a very strong climber) or other
potential points of entry. Also treat soil adjacent to structure in a 6-10 ft band around
the house. When infestations are heavy or scorpions within structures have been difficult
to control, treat the entire yard treat with Talstar® F at the 0.06% rate (1 oz/gallon).
• Identify areas near the structure where scorpions may congregate: Under piles of wood
or debris, under stones and landscape timbers. Eliminate as many of these potential
harborages as possible. Store firewood off of the ground.
• Incorporate exclusion techniques: caulking entry points, weather stripping around doors
and windows, and using copper wool to plug weep holes.
• Treat the exterior perimeter with a 4-6 ft broadcast band of Talstar® PL Granular
Insecticide or Talstar® EZ Granular Insecticide at a rate of 2.3 - 4.6 pounds per 1000
square feet. Place granules in flowerbeds and areas conducive to moisture and organic
matter. This will reduce populations of insects and arachnids and therefore reduce the
scorpions’ food source. If scorpion pressure is high, treat the whole yard at a broadcast
rate of 2.3 - 4.6 pounds per 1000 square feet.
Talstar is a registered trademark of FMC Corporation.
© FMC Corporation. All rights reserved.
P3185 06/02

Lake Ape
01-14-2005, 08:13 AM
The DE works well but in Warner Ranch where I live, the scorpion capital of AZ, we have hundreds everywhere all the time. The solution for my family was a couple of cats and a ferret. I think it would only take one cat but the two and ferret are a riot to watch catching scoprions. Cat's have a natural immunity to scorpions and can take about 25 in a day before they get sick.

PHX ATC
01-14-2005, 08:28 AM
I second the DE. Works well.
That and get rid of their food...crickets and their cousins.

Steamin' Rice
01-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Ya know you can buy them already encased in resin.. :D They sell them all over the airport in PHX, along with those tequila flavored suckers with worms inside them. :D :rollside:

JackieV
01-14-2005, 09:41 AM
THANKS FOR THE MUCH NEEDED INFO!!!
I will surely get the house sprayed in and out and get the cat before I take my little one into that empty house in AZ.
We are looking into getting a baby lab too, how well do dogs hold up to those nasty critters? Anyone know?

PHX ATC
01-14-2005, 04:14 PM
THANKS FOR THE MUCH NEEDED INFO!!!
I will surely get the house sprayed in and out and get the cat before I take my little one into that empty house in AZ.
We are looking into getting a baby lab too, how well do dogs hold up to those nasty critters? Anyone know?
Dogs don't hold up too well, really. They can get really sick. Especially puppies. Their little immune system really can't handle the venom.
I would be careful!!!!
Little puppies (especially the retriever types) like to nose around branches, piles, rocks, wherever they can...they're apt to get popped with a tail strike of a scorpion.
Keep him on a leash outside if you think or know you've a scorpion issue.