PDA

View Full Version : Towing with Air Bags

THOR
01-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Anyone tow with air bags or an air ride suspension in the rear? Is it bad to have the bags inflated while you are not towing?
Just curious.

Dusty Times
01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I've had air bags for about a year now. They make all the difference in the world (boat weighs 11,500 lbs plus trailer). I didn't think it would but it got rid of alot of sway also when passed by trucks on the freeway.
I drop the air down to 5 lbs when not towing. It's a little stiff if you don't but won't hurt anything.

CornWater
01-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Anyone tow with air bags or an air ride suspension in the rear? Is it bad to have the bags inflated while you are not towing?
Just curious.
Not bad to have them inflated while not towing.. I tow with them, and in fact I heard it is better on the bags to leave them slightly inflated when not towing. I don't even notice 5-10 lbs. when I am not towing.

Ziggy
01-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Same here--keep em at around 5lbs when unloaded. Usually just use them when putting on the cabover camper.

Dusty Times
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
I was just reading up on my air bags and they recomend to run them with a minimum of 5 lbs (to keep them shaped as bags and not to get pinched or distorted under compressed suspension)

Nubbs
01-10-2005, 12:59 PM
The bags I have require at least 10psi at all times.

al cole'holic
01-10-2005, 01:03 PM
..towing on the bags is ok in my experience with a Navigator and now the Suburban. The self leveling also worked awesome with the tongue weight, and I noticed it wouldn't self level unless the trailer plug was connected...

THOR
01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Nice.
Thanks guys

beer hunter
01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
The bags I have require at least 10psi at all times.
Ditto that here, I've been told to never let them go completely empty. I use these (http://www.airliftcompany.com/new-index/Frameset.htm) on my Ford Expedition and they work great! Thor, didn't you just buy an Excursion? I doubt you'd need them with that beast. :cool:

al cole'holic
01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Nice.
Thanks guys
...were you talking about factory suspensions??

jbtrailerjim
01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
I was just reading up on my air bags and they recomend to run them with a minimum of 5 lbs (to keep them shaped as bags and not to get pinched or distorted under compressed suspension)
Another reason to not run them flat is the excessive wear on the bags from rubbing. Eventually they will wear a hole in them from running them deflated.

THOR
01-10-2005, 01:30 PM
...were you talking about factory suspensions??
Yes. I believe they were installed with factory suspension. I'll check though.

THOR
01-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Ditto that here, I've been told to never let them go completely empty. I use these (http://www.airliftcompany.com/new-index/Frameset.htm) on my Ford Expedition and they work great! Thor, didn't you just buy an Excursion? I doubt you'd need them with that beast. :cool:
Sure did. V10.
The a$$ end is pretty heavy on those and I dont want that thing to bottom out. My boat isnt that heavy though.

1978 Rogers
01-10-2005, 01:34 PM
A friend of mine has after market airbags on a 3/4 ton to level out when he sticks his camper on. I just rides like a 1 ton with no load in the back.

beer hunter
01-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Sure did. V10.
The a$$ end is pretty heavy on those and I dont want that thing to bottom out. My boat isnt that heavy though.
M2ME pulls a 28' Heat without any problems...also, I didn't think the Excursion was offered with factory airbags :)

THOR
01-10-2005, 01:37 PM
This (http://www.performancesuspension.com/TruckAirSuspen.htm) is what I have on the Ex.

beer hunter
01-10-2005, 01:42 PM
This (http://www.performancesuspension.com/TruckAirSuspen.htm) is what I have on the Ex.
Bummer, that's going to cost ya a bundle to upgrade to a new boat that will even begin to tax your suspension :idea: :D

THOR
01-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Bummer, that's going to cost ya a bundle to upgrade to a new boat that will even begin to tax your suspension :idea: :D
I am staying with mine for a while. I am not the big ballers like all you wagon wheel boys. Besides, the Ex. wont be towing the boat, the motorhome will. ;)

beer hunter
01-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Besides, the Ex. wont be towing the boat, the motorhome will. ;)
Cool, maybe we can hook up at Moabi this spring, I'll probably have the trailer out there from March through June. :D

roln 20s
01-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Thor-
Airbags are great. I towed with a full size Chevy completely airbagged, never had one problem. Like it was said before, always run some air in them. I never rode with less than 10-15psi in the rear of mine, obviously a lot more when i was towing. Great ride--in fact that reminds me that I need to get some before I pick up the new boat (that I haven't even ordered yet- different problem for a different day).
Enjoy-
Roln 20s

THOR
01-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Thor-
Airbags are great. I towed with a full size Chevy completely airbagged, never had one problem. Like it was said before, always run some air in them. I never rode with less than 10-15psi in the rear of mine, obviously a lot more when i was towing. Great ride--in fact that reminds me that I need to get some before I pick up the new boat (that I haven't even ordered yet- different problem for a different day).
Enjoy-
Roln 20s
Meet me at the boat show and I will order you one. :cool:

THOR
01-10-2005, 08:18 PM
I noticed today it rides a lot better with about 30-40 psi in them.