PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel dive problem-need opinions

sigepmock
01-10-2005, 01:35 PM
OK the 4 wheel drive took a dump in my 03 Chevy2500HD.
Here's what happened...had it in 4 wheel drive and drove about 300 yards in the sand at Glamis to pick up a buddy's bike that died. It ran fine there, stopped loaded the bike in the back, started the truck, put it in drive..and started to go....truck kinda lurched forward and then stopped like the parking brake was on..... gas it a little gas and the rear tires would spin but the front acted like the brakes were on and wouldn't spin.... put it in 4 low, 4 high, reverse...nothing, put it in 2 wheel drive and same thing so I gave it some gas and got it rolling but again felt like park brake was on or front brakes were dragging....went about 20 feet and then a clunk and then it was back in two wheel drive and driving fine..... stop hit the button to go back to 4 high and it clunks(much louder than normal) and then no go, front tires won't spin......back to two wheel drive and no problem...made it all the way home it two wheel towing the trailer and nothing noticable but when in 4 wheel drive the front tires won't spin. Any ideas before I go drop it off at the dealer and get raped???
Thanks,
Chris

Outnumbered
01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Here's what happened...had it in 4 wheel drive and drove about 300 yards in the sand at Glamis to pick up a buddy's bike that died. It ran fine there, stopped loaded the bike in the back, started the truck, put it in drive..and started to go....truck kinda lurched forward and then stopped like the parking brake was on..... gas it a little gas and the rear tires would spin but the front acted like the brakes were on and wouldn't spin.... put it in 4 low, 4 high, reverse...nothing, put it in 2 wheel drive and same thing so I gave it some gas and got it rolling but again felt like park brake was on or front brakes were dragging....went about 20 feet and then a clunk and then it was back in two wheel drive and driving fine..... stop hit the button to go back to 4 high and it clunks(much louder than normal) and then no go, front tires won't spin......back to two wheel drive and no problem...made it all the way home it two wheel towing the trailer and nothing noticable but when in 4 wheel drive the front tires won't spin. Any ideas before I go drop it off at the dealer and get raped???
Thanks,
Chris
I grenaded the front axel on my 93 z-71 by romping on it before it was fully engaged in 4x4 in the mud. The problem with chevy IFS is that it is actuated by a solenoid or vacuum valve or something, no hubs to turn/lock. So sometimes it may take a few seconds to fully lock in. When you turn the truck off I believe it disengages. When you turn the key back on it goes back in 4x4 if you left the selector in 4x4. Sounds like that happened to you.
I had a buddy who was a service writer at the time warranty it with no questions asked. It was over $2k in work. I would tell the dealer you went to the mountains and were in the snow on a public road and it just locked up on you. Don't give the dealer any room to get out of paying for the warranty work. If they think you were abusing it in the sand dunes they may try to weasel out of the repair.
Good luck,
OL

Daytona100
01-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Pull the drain plug on the t-case smell the fluid. Probably smoked the viscous clutch in the t-case. :idea:

Outnumbered
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Pull the drain plug on the t-case smell the fluid. Probably smoked the viscous clutch in the t-case. :idea:
I don't think that the HD trucks have that Auto-Trac transfer case with the vicous clutch. I think the one with the clutches in only in the new 1/2 tons, Tahoes, etc. His story sounds just like mine. It should be under warranty since its an '03 unless its gota lot of miles on it.
OL

essexjet
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks,
Chris
Chris I think you needed my superduty there to tow you back :D

Havasubum
01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Chris I think you needed my superduty there to tow you back :D
would of been a good picture FORD towing a chevy

sigepmock
01-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys. James thanks for the offer for the tow :D I got under the truck last night and had the wife put in 4high and go forward and reverse a little. Looks like the front driveshaft is trying to move but the axle shafts to the wheels aren't moving at all, so I think it's in the front diff.:( Also you're right about it not having autotrac, the front drive shaft doesn't move when the truck is in 2 wheel drive.
Thanks again for all you're help,
Chris

casean
01-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys. James thanks for the offer for the tow :D I got under the truck last night and had the wife put in 4high and go forward and reverse a little. Looks like the front driveshaft is trying to move but the axle shafts to the wheels aren't moving at all, so I think it's in the front diff.:( Also you're right about it not having autotrac, the front drive shaft doesn't move when the truck is in 2 wheel drive.
Thanks again for all you're help,
Chris
Chris,
Sorry to hear this happened. Did you get any warranty from company that re-geared the truck? Since they were the last ones in there, you might want to start with them. My brother-in-law had all sorts of problems after he re-geared his old truck. He was always towing a pretty heavy load with his truck.

sigepmock
01-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks Sean,
I have been talking with Jim at Performance Diff., he did the gears, and I think we got it figured out or at least narrowed down to a few possible causes. The only problem is that the gear set I have in there is on back order for a week or two and it doesn't make a lot of sense to tear it apart if we can't put it back together, so I will drive the truck as little as possible until the gears come in and then we'll tear it apart and see what really happened. Hopefully Jim will take care of me on the pricing for the fix if I broke it or fix it for free if it was something to do with the gear swap, it just depends on what went wrong. I am pretty confident Jim will take care of me.
Thanks again,
Chris

Outnumbered
01-11-2005, 01:34 PM
See if they make a Posi-Lok system for your truck. It eliminates the solonoid dealio and will not leave the front axel half-way engaged or sliding in/out while you're on the gas. If I would have had one of these on my truck I would have never had a problem:
http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

casean
01-11-2005, 02:33 PM
See if they make a Posi-Lok system for your truck. It eliminates the solonoid dealio and will not leave the front axel half-way engaged or sliding in/out while you're on the gas. If I would have had one of these on my truck I would have never had a problem:
http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/
I checked out their site, but I couldn't find a part number for newer Chevy 2500's. Did GM change the way 4x4 engages in the later models, or has this company simply not come out with a kit? If you do not know for sure I will contact them and find out.