PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

Artv
01-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Looking to buy a new camera, any suggestions?
I like Sony DSC-T1 5.0MP,3X OPT,2X DG, 2.5"Lcd,MSny.

dmontzsta
01-11-2005, 10:40 AM
What is your price range? Are you going to need alot of zoom? Or just close up shots?
Cant go wrong with the Kodak DX7490 $500.00

esabataj
01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I just got a Cannon DOS Rebel 6.3MP and absolutely love it. The picture quality is the best I've ever seen for under a Grand.

casean
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Depends on what you are looking for when it comes to features, quality and price range. There are some really good camera review sites out there.
Try this one: http://www.steves-digicams.com
I've always read and heard good things about Canon digital cameras. We have a Sony right now. The quality is ok. Our next digital camera is going to be a Canon Powershot A95.

Rev. Williams
01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I've never been happier then with my Canon A80. It takes great pics, downloads with ease, great photo program for your computer for taking the pics off the camera, takes video, simple to use, fast to open and take a pic, swivel LCD display and a great price now....
Take a look: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=9449

Artv
01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
What is your price range? Are you going to need alot of zoom? Or just close up shots?
Cant go wrong with the Kodak DX7490 $500.00
Under $500.00 would be nice. Mainly close up shots.

NOTALENT
01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I have the canon SD100 about a year old now..but I love it. it had great reviews 3.2 megapixels..zoom is exellent..all the pics I have posted were from it..and small compact..I paid under 400 with a 256mb card, extra lithium batter and a few goodies.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-11-2005, 12:40 PM
I bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (5MP) a couple months ago. best zoom available 12x optical. It has a leica lens with image stabilization. damn thing takes awesome photos at night and excellent macro mode. I got mine on sale for $500. It is not a pocket camera however but can do anything you want it to and some things you probably will never use. here are a couple pictures I took free-hand(no tri-pod) in Vegas a couple weeks ago. the second one is at 12x zoom shot from the 19th floor of the Rio.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523vegas_2004_163.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523vegas_2004_009.jpg
a couple more shot with the same camera. outstanding quality and performance IMO.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523vegas_2004_130.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523vegas_2004_129.jpg
on a side note the last 2 show rain clouds in vegas. that's something you don't see everyday :notam:
on a side note I don't recommend a digital camera for movies but this one will shoot movies at 30fps and the quality is superb. with my 1GB card it will make about a 29min video if I remember right. you can select 10fps but they get a little jerky at that point.
good luck with your decision but I recommend you at least look at the LUMIX. It is easy enough for a beginner but yet powerful enough to pursue greater ventures if you decide.
Omega

HBjet
01-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Nice photos.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Nice photos.
thanks. that's all camera not operator ;) I didn't even know Panasonic made cameras until I did some research. IMO a camera's performance is best tested at night where slower shutter speeds are required.
Omega

Raisin Wake
01-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Nikon cameras are know for the best optics in the business. Coolpix series are great. By the way, always llok at the optical zoom, not the digital zoom.
Good luck...

BADBLOWN572
01-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I have the Cannon Powershot 4.0 and I could not be happier with the camera. I am pretty abusive on things and luckily the camera has a metal case. Also delivers real nice and clear pictures. Downloading couldn't be simpler and the battery lasts a long time before recharging. I think I paid $425 or so about 8 months ago. The only thing that I would do is to upgrade to the 256 memory card. Other than that, the camera is perfect in its stock configuration.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-11-2005, 01:31 PM
I think it also important to mention that it is not necessary to get the largest MP camera available. MP has to do with the size of the photo not the quality. I would say start at 3 MP and go from there, unless of course you plan to print posters and then you can go to the 6-8MP cameras.
I see alot of folks assume more MP means better quality and that is not always the case :cool:
Omega

Stealth Marine
01-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Spend a little time here if you haven't already.
There is a wealth of information on general consumer digitial cameras.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir
Here is the review of your DSC-T1
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Cyber_Shot_DSC_T1/4505-6501_7-30588497.html?tag=pdtl-list

BoatPI
01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
If you look closely u may find out that many Olympis and Cannon models have superior case construction. Most are metal with metal interior framework.

THOR
01-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Glad this was brought up. I have a sony now and the delay from when the button is pressed until the when the pic is taken has me so pissed off that I am shopping new cameras too.
Which ones are the fastest out there. I have little ones that I need pictures taken right now, not 2 seconds from now. Fuggin sony sucks. The pic quality blows too. Canon is much better IMO.

Raisin Wake
01-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Glad this was brought up. I have a sony now and the delay from when the button is pressed until the when the pic is taken has me so pissed off that I am shopping new cameras too.
Which ones are the fastest out there. I have little ones that I need pictures taken right now, not 2 seconds from now. Fuggin sony sucks. The pic quality blows too. Canon is much better IMO.
If the delay is your primary issue, then you need to buy one of the new SLR digital cameras. They have no delay. They act a feel just like the old film cameras.
http://www.nikondigitalusa.com/main.html?page=dslr
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111
Good luck....

77charger
01-11-2005, 04:37 PM
I just got a Cannon DOS Rebel 6.3MP and absolutely love it. The picture quality is the best I've ever seen for under a Grand.
another who has bought this camera.Best thing no shutter lag as compared to the pocket cameras. That was one thing that bothered me with my older camera this rebel is just like a 35mm slr type except instead of film you have a memory card.I also didnt want to spend 4-500 on another camera only to be unhappy with the slowness of the shutter and end up buying a canon rebel anyways.I can also take up to 4 shots continuously at 2.5 pics a second.It is internally the same as the canon 10D but the rebel usesa plastic body vs the 10Ds magnesium body.IMO a good camera for the dollar.The plus of an SLR type camera.You think the pics are good now try an L series lens will be alot better than the lens the rebel comes with downside the lens will cost as much or more than the camera does. ;)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
If the delay is your primary issue, then you need to buy one of the new SLR digital cameras. They have no delay. They act a feel just like the old film cameras.
http://www.nikondigitalusa.com/main.html?page=dslr
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111
Good luck....
I'm glad you posted. I hate the doggone delay, and we had already been considering the Canon digital SLR. Now it's a shoo-thing.

Kilrtoy
01-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Sony Cyber Shot, screen 1 1/2"X 2". This camera is the bomb, it is fast and simple. I think it was 400 or was it 500. You guys see what it makes Mrs kilr look like. You should see her with out it...

mickeyfinn
01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I think it also important to mention that it is not necessary to get the largest MP camera available. MP has to do with the size of the photo not the quality. I would say start at 3 MP and go from there, unless of course you plan to print posters and then you can go to the 6-8MP cameras.
I see alot of folks assume more MP means better quality and that is not always the case :cool:
Omega
True it is not always the case, however it is usually the case if you are comparing apples to apples. If you are comparing digital cameras and you are considering several different MP ratings make sure you are considering only the "native" MP ratings. Some cameras (and scanners) advertise an interpolated MP rating. The way this works is if the "native" resolution is 4 MP and they advertise a 9 MP interpolated rating software in the camera will take a single pixel and interpolate how to take a larger number of pixels and arrange the colors to make them look like the original single picture. This is not usually good news. Software can and will make mistakes and if you are depending on the software you would be better off sending the extra money to a friend. At least then someone you know will be getting a benefit from it. The other thing to look at is how the camera handles colors. There are 2 main ways of doing this with a third that is kind of proprietary in that it is being developed by a particular manufacturer. The most common is the SCFA or Staggered color filter array. This basically says each pixel is a single color (red, blue or green) and the placement of these pixels controls what color your eyes see.
Extremely high end cameras will utilize the fovean X3 technology which allows each pixel to remember all three colors strength. This results in much truer colors. Don't know if there are any cameras out there that utilize this in the $500.00 range but I doubt it. Fuji has also come out with their Super CCD array which helps address this. Don't have a lot of details on how this works but from what I understand it works more cost effectively than the fovean method but not nearly as good, although it is better than the traditional.
All that being said if everything is equal including optical zoom then buy the cheapest camera with the most MP and the type of storage medium you are most comfortable with. Higher MP in normal end user applications (read average cost) will almost always result in higher quality photos for purposes of printing. If you only want the camera for on screen viewing then go buy whatever model is discontinued and the local electronics store is trying to give away. Monitor resolution typically sucks. If you are printing then higher MP will allow you to print at a higher DPI without the computer software having to interpolate colors for you.
One other thing to remember is that shrinking a photo can have as much of a negative affect on quality as enlarging if not done properly. If you are going out to take a photo of a particular something and quality of the printed product is a large concern then you need to take into account the printer resolution and the end printed photo size you desire and calculate what setting on the camera will get you there. This will result in the least number of software changes to your picture. If you already own a 3 MP camera and are not able to get decent 4x6 prints, you are probably doing something wrong. RTFM!!! Do a google search and you will find a wealth of info on image quality and calculating optimum camera settings for certian size prints.

Artv
01-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Sony Cyber Shot, screen 1 1/2"X 2". This camera is the bomb, it is fast and simple. I think it was 400 or was it 500. You guys see what it makes Mrs kilr look like. You should see her with out it...
Kilr thanks for the info, I took a drive over to best buy a few hours ago. I’ll pick up the camera sometime this week. I'll post some pics of the Misses once i figure out the camera.