PDA

View Full Version : New Years Diet Plan

Mr.Havasu
01-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Anyone else start a diet as part of their New Years Resolutions?
I did and now I'm looking for a support group to help keep me focused. Last year there was a thread on here for the atkins diet and it motivated me to start, but as it dissapeared into the back pages so did my enthusium.
I'm going to start a thread in the test forum section for anyone who wants to join me called "Thin in 2005" I figure it will stay on the front page there longer.
I figure we can report our daily or weekly weight lost maybe share some stratagies and/or receipies etc. and help each other stay the course.
Anyone want to join me to get fit in 2005?

mirvin
01-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Warlock, atkins does work. I've been doing it for 3 years now and it's great. I was never really overweight but just always battling over food and hunger and what not.
Info here if you're interested.
www.atkinscenter.com
mirvin ;)

MsDrmr
01-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Anyone else start a diet as part of their New Years Resolutions?
I did and now I'm looking for a support group to help keep me focused. Last year there was a thread on here for the atkins diet and it motivated me to start, but as it dissapeared into the back pages so did my enthusium.
I'm going to start a thread in the test forum section for anyone who wants to join me called "Thin in 2005" I figure it will stay on the front page there longer.
I figure we can report our daily or weekly weight lost maybe share some stratagies and/or receipies etc. and help each other stay the course.
Anyone want to join me to get fit in 2005?
I remember starting that thread, I was sooooo motivated, I ended up loosing about 50lbs on it, then we realized it was effecting my cholestrol level drastically and the dr. orderd me to stop the diet. so I did. I have put most of the weight back on now :frown: but I have decided to just eat better and exercise, there is no easy way to do this. I encourage you to register on the atkins through yahoo, they do a weekle check in and give eating plans, I loved using it when I was following the diet.
I will support you in your quest to loose weight, if you need any suggestions or encouragement, don't hesitate to pm me.
Andrea

Mr.Havasu
01-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks Andrea;
I'm going with the Nutrisystem plan. Been on it for 5 days and lost 6 lbs so far. I want to lose 70 lbs so I have 64 more to go :eek:

Slider
01-11-2005, 02:24 PM
I am going on the quit feeding your fat ass plan.j\k

Mr.Havasu
01-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I am going on the quit feeding your fat ass plan.j\k
If it wasn't for them dam hunger pains I could probably do that.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, dieting sucks major a$$!

ChumpChange
01-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Warlock, atkins does work. I've been doing it for 3 years now and it's great.
Did it give you Gout?

MsDrmr
01-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I heard something very smart a few weeks ago, it went something like this....
Dont shed pounds, instead maintain a weight.
Explained: when people set a goal to loose weight, they often gain that back once they succeed, so instead, set a goal weight that you want to maintain and loose the weight you need to to get there, then just simply "maintain" that weight.
I thought it made a lot of sense.

Mandelon
01-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Less food. More exercise. Walk and lift weights. Your body took many years to put the weight on, it should take a long while to take it back off.
Take less calories in than you use everyday and you will get thinner. Giving up your favorite foods sets you up to fail. I think you can eat anything, just in smaller quantities.
And have realistic expectations. Remember, there is only one Frenchie! :notam:

JackieV
01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
As I posted on another thread this morning, my fiance and I are on the Atkins Diet and started Jan. 3. 2005. He has done it before and boy did he look hot! Sex was awsome!
Anyhow, I will give you plenty of tips! And help in getting you through this!
Currently we are on the Atkins Starter kit plan. Go to GNC and buy it to help you start! This is for 14 days and then you can go on your preferred diet pill. After the Atkins kit we are going to be on Cortislim. I have never used it but we will see if it works.
It was hard for me the first 2 days :220v: and since my cravings are hardly ever now and I eat less and very healthy meals too :) !
Art and I boost eachother up and have been really supporting eachother through this diet. I don't mind helping you all! I am at home all day and can give you some ideas of what to eat :wink: .
Remember to do some kind of exercise as well! We are going to start walking together just as soon as this rain stops and I believe tonight we are starting if the rain stays away!
Good Luck!

Jordy
01-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I've got a new plan for '05:
I'm going to stay the same. However, I will be hanging out with short fat people, which in essence, will give the tall slender appearance, because everything we see is relative with what we have to compare it to. :D
Besides, like I saw on a bumper sticker the other day "Fat people are harder to kidnap." Think about it. :D :cool:
Jordy <------ the diet guru

thesunking
01-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi JackieV, how much is the initial start up at GNC? My doctor said I was tipping the scale roughly 20-25lbs over. Well, that was last March and I've only lost 5lbs. In all honesty, if I listen to my doctor that would put me at 175lbs, I think that's to much on the lighter side of reality. Let me know how the Atkins plan works for you in 15 days.

Jordy
01-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I almost forgot about my workout plan. I crank up the treadmill as fast and steep as it will go and then jump on it for 30 minutes everyday. Can't say I've noticed a difference, other than my rollerblade wheels getting smaller. ;)

FRENCHIE
01-11-2005, 06:21 PM
whats a diet!!?? im on phat matts bar plan diet!!!! :wink: :p

Mrs. casean
01-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Less food. More exercise. Walk and lift weights. Your body took many years to put the weight on, it should take a long while to take it back off.
Take less calories in than you use everyday and you will get thinner. Giving up your favorite foods sets you up to fail. I think you can eat anything, just in smaller quantities.
And have realistic expectations. Remember, there is only one Frenchie! :notam:
That's my plan! It works the best and I think it is hte healthiest, safest, and smartest way especially in the long run... much easier to maintain.

Artv
01-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi JackieV, how much is the initial start up at GNC? My doctor said I was tipping the scale roughly 20-25lbs over. Well, that was last March and I've only lost 5lbs. In all honesty, if I listen to my doctor that would put me at 175lbs, I think that's to much on the lighter side of reality. Let me know how the Atkins plan works for you in 15 days.
The Atkins starter kit is $24.99, although I believe Art used a discount that his friend had because his friend is a everyday GNC buyer and it came to about $17.00 and some change. This should really help you get started along with exercise like walking at least around the block after eating dinner. Art says that he lost 15lbs in 1 month doing both.
I should be at 105 to 110 and I am at 126lbs right now :redface: . I hope with this diet and new way of eating and exercise I lose the kangaroo pouch and my back handles.
So far I can get into my pants and I feel ALOT less bloated. I feel GOOD everyday.
I haven't weighed myself in about a week and a half but I will surely keep you posted.
Oh and before I forget we are also taking a natural Aloe Vera pill through out the day.
Hope this helps! Good LUCK 2 U 2! :D

JackieV
01-11-2005, 08:39 PM
SORRY ABOUT THAT! ART WAS LOGGED IN TODAY AND I JUST STARTED TYPING AWAY NOT REALIZING I WAS LOGGED IN AS HIM!
The Atkins starter kit is $24.99, although I believe Art used a discount that his friend had because his friend is a everyday GNC buyer and it came to about $17.00 and some change. This should really help you get started along with exercise like walking at least around the block after eating dinner. Art says that he lost 15lbs in 1 month doing both.
I should be at 105 to 110 and I am at 126lbs right now . I hope with this diet and new way of eating and exercise I lose the kangaroo pouch and my back handles.
So far I can get into my pants and I feel ALOT less bloated. I feel GOOD everyday.
I haven't weighed myself in about a week and a half but I will surely keep you posted.
Oh and before I forget we are also taking a natural Aloe Vera pill through out the day.
Hope this helps! Good LUCK 2 U 2!

JustDawn
01-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey Michele,
I am soooooooo proud of you! I think that you are doing GREAT and that you will continue to do so. You can and will do anything that you put your mind to. Hell woman, did you forget???????????? :confused: YOU ARE A VIRGO!!! ;) Hang in there, the Pisces and I are looking forward to seeing you and the OTHER Virgo at the end of the month!

ahhell
01-12-2005, 06:42 AM
My idea is to take half of whats on my dinner plate and keep it for lunch the next day, and we started going back to the gym 2-3 days a week. Atkins wasnt good for me, im one of the lucky ones with a 300 cholesterol count even if i eat boiled lettuce (zocor got it to 190 ) So far 5 pounds in 12 days :D

BarryMac
01-12-2005, 07:05 AM
If we all dance like the guy in Jordy's sig line we will lose a lot of weight.
I personally have lost 12 pounds since Dec. 1st, I've done it buy cutting portions, watching my sugar intake and walking at least three times a week.

Luscious
01-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi there,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in December of 2004. My cholesterol was 264 and after taking Zocor for a month it went down to 159, I cut out the fried foods, didn't really drink too much soda but cut that out, limited my bread intake, cut out the sweets, and started baking and steaming veggies and I dont think I have lost any weight (I started this on the first of the year) but I feel a whole lot better!!! I now eat four or five times a day, healthy snacks, and drink lots of water. I have done the treadmill a few times since the first but I have to do this everyday. I think the best thing to do before you start any kind of diet or exercise plan is to see your doctor and get your blood work done so that you "know" there should be nothing in the way of your weight loss. I went to the doctor because I was working 12 hours a day and walking 8 miles a day and wasn't losing any weight. I was actually gaining and i have never been this heavy in my life. I then found out that type 2 diabetes is what I had and a big factor in the gaining of my weight.
I have signed up for Diabetes classes once a week, three hours at a time for three weeks, Knowledge is power and I am not about to let this disease take control of me. Learning about your body and how it reacts to different outside factors is very important. I advise you to see your doctor for a check-up and then begin your program.
Good luck to you all and if anyone is interested to talk to me about this you can PM me.
--Luscious :)

HEDJUG
01-12-2005, 08:19 AM
No diet plan here, beer is typically not a part of any plan & that causes problems. I am just going back to the gym. That is the key, you can eat pretty much what you want & still get in fair shape. I usually cruise around at 240 lbs in shape, I stopped lifting due to a back injury & balooned up to 280. Time to get back at it......

HighRoller
01-12-2005, 08:25 AM
To anyone looking at Atkins or other "Fad diets", I would have one piece of advice-they are just diets and diets aren't permanent. They are a "quick fix". I would recommend "Men's Health" magazine for somebody looking to make a lasting change in their health and fitness. I was tired of looking and feeling the way I did so I got some meal plans out of the magazine and started back at the gym 4-5 times a week. The meal plan is very generous-you can eat every 2-3 hours if you want and it's not rabbit food. Snacks are they key to keeping you going, whether they be smoothies, yogurt, fruit or pretzels. My biggest change has been avoiding fast food and alcohol. I've pledged not to eat McDonald's or drink a beer for 6 months. I know, it's drastic, but I'm dedicated to doing it. You don't need a fad diet to change, just a better diet and more exercise. For those looking to lose weight gradually, there's a calculator you can use to determine what your caloric requirements are. After you find this number, if you lower it by 500 calories a day you will lose 1-2 lbs a week just from food. I also recommend a multi-vitamin daily. It helps recharge your body after working out. I have been doing this since the 1st and am feeling better already. I have way more energy than ever before and I honestly don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything as far as meals.

BarryMac
01-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi there,
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in December of 2004. My cholesterol was 264 and after taking Zocor for a month it went down to 159, I cut out the fried foods, didn't really drink too much soda but cut that out, limited my bread intake, cut out the sweets, and started baking and steaming veggies and I dont think I have lost any weight (I started this on the first of the year) but I feel a whole lot better!!! I now eat four or five times a day, healthy snacks, and drink lots of water. I have done the treadmill a few times since the first but I have to do this everyday. I think the best thing to do before you start any kind of diet or exercise plan is to see your doctor and get your blood work done so that you "know" there should be nothing in the way of your weight loss. I went to the doctor because I was working 12 hours a day and walking 8 miles a day and wasn't losing any weight. I was actually gaining and i have never been this heavy in my life. I then found out that type 2 diabetes is what I had and a big factor in the gaining of my weight.
I have signed up for Diabetes classes once a week, three hours at a time for three weeks, Knowledge is power and I am not about to let this disease take control of me. Learning about your body and how it reacts to different outside factors is very important. I advise you to see your doctor for a check-up and then begin your program.
Good luck to you all and if anyone is interested to talk to me about this you can PM me.
--Luscious :)
Thanks for the great post...
You have a PM...
gjb

slowinhavasuskid
01-12-2005, 09:55 AM
I dont think of my change as a diet it is a life style change. I started Wieght Watchers and am doing pretty good. So I now excercise 3 times a week and eat better. Just remember you have change your whole life not just the way that you eat. ;)

JackieV
01-12-2005, 10:32 AM
We have to cut out all the CARBS on the Atkins starter kit (Which contains vitamins). Which I said before was pretty hard for me after the holidays and all. You don't know how bad the first two days I wanted to have some Butter cookies with the sugar sprinkles on top! But now I tell you I feel sooooo much better. We are not drinking alcohol either for about 6 months (just enough time until the river trips).
After the 14 days are over then we can start counting our carb intake. So we are not depriving our selves of anything that is good for us.
Last night we went for a walk around the neighborhood and I have not done that in a long time, but I have to say I felt so good and so did Art. Tonight we are going to go a little farther and every evening until we can walk at least two miles.
Being at home with the baby and attending an online course for Real Estate Appraising, can if you let it, drag you down to being lazy and wanting to just sleep :sleeping: (Which I was doing). But really I feel good now! I even wake up before the little one to get a head start on school :) .
I want to buy some weights to carry in my hands as we walk to help my bitty arm muscles too.
Good Luck everybody! :cool:

JackieV
01-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Today I had eggs for breakfast. And for lunch, some left over Pot Roast with a nice crisp salad. :D

mirvin
01-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Did it give you Gout?
No gout here...you?
Atkins is a pretty serious diet that MUST be done correctly. Talk to your doctor before you INDUCT on the atkins diet. "Doing it correctly" means not cheating.....cheating means eatins stuff you're not supposed to eat......doing so can cause serious health risks......read the book...follow the website.....do it right or go home.
Oh, and don't worry about the nay sayers (High ROller)......just because someone else didn't have the backbone to make it through doesn't mean you can't do it.
As I said earlier I've been on the atkins way of life for 3 years now and it's not a diet, it's a way of life and the way you look at food will be forever changed. YOU will be IN CONTROL OF WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY if you can go through all 4 phases of the atkins diet.
The benefits are great :wink:
mirvin :)

JackieV
01-12-2005, 04:44 PM
No gout here...you?
Atkins is a pretty serious diet that MUST be done correctly. Talk to your doctor before you INDUCT on the atkins diet. "Doing it correctly" means not cheating.....cheating means eatins stuff you're not supposed to eat......doing so can cause serious health risks......read the book...follow the website.....do it right or go home.
Oh, and don't worry about the nay sayers (High ROller)......just because someone else didn't have the backbone to make it through doesn't mean you can't do it.
As I said earlier I've been on the atkins way of life for 3 years now and it's not a diet, it's a way of life and the way you look at food will be forever changed. YOU will be IN CONTROL OF WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY if you can go through all 4 phases of the atkins diet.
The benefits are great :wink:
mirvin :)
Thanks Mirvin! I thought I was the only one!!!! :D

mirvin
01-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks Mirvin! I thought I was the only one!!!! :D
Keep it up JackieV!! Are you using the Ketone strips? They make induction a little easier. You can test yourself anytime to verify that you are in ketosis.
If you don't read the atkins book and follow the program to the letter you will fail. If you succeed you'll be very happy and food will never rule you again.
mirvin
:cool:

throttlejunkie
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Has anybody here tried the South Beach Diet? If so, how well does it work, and is it hard to stick to? I'am thinking of trying it. I hear it is similar to Atkins, but you can have unprocessed carbs.

HammerDown
01-12-2005, 05:21 PM
To anyone looking at Atkins or other "Fad diets", I would have one piece of advice-they are just diets and diets aren't permanent. They are a "quick fix". I would recommend "Men's Health" magazine for somebody looking to make a lasting change in their health and fitness. I was tired of looking and feeling the way I did so I got some meal plans out of the magazine and started back at the gym 4-5 times a week. The meal plan is very generous-you can eat every 2-3 hours if you want and it's not rabbit food.
All due respects...Atkins isn't a "fad diet" but a different way of eating. Very little carbs for me, droped almost 50lbs. Not to mention my insides feel much better...no more running to the crapper or hoping ones around the corner :notam: !
I eat plenty of fish, poultry, meat and vegetables with alot of water. No more cakes or candies or sugar filled drinks. I also eat fruits and nuts several times a week...so what's wrong with this????
Not everyone has the time for "the gym" 4-5 times a week. Burn more than you put in...everyone know's this...and or cut down on your carb intake and your body WILL burn excess fat.
Low carb, not (no carb) works for me just fine. Far from a fad diet..I'm staying ;)

thesunking
01-12-2005, 05:21 PM
http://images.snapfish.com/34287%3A%3A323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A43%3D6%3 B%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232374%3A37487%3Bot1lsi
Even though my Doctor (did I mention that she's a hot looking asian babe) says I'm overweight, I try to maintain the gut by mountain biking. It's all good. Any other mountain bikers in this forum?

mirvin
01-12-2005, 05:28 PM
All due respects...Atkins isn't a "fad diet" but a different way of eating. Very little carbs for me, droped almost 50lbs. Not to mention my insides feel much better...no more running to the crapper or hoping ones around the corner :notam: !
I eat plenty of fish, poultry, meat and vegetables with alot of water. No more cakes or candies or sugar filled drinks. I also eat fruits and nuts several times a week...so what's wrong with this????
Not everyone has the time for "the gym" 4-5 times a week. Burn more than you put in...everyone know's this...and or cut down on your carb intake and your body WILL burn excess fat.
Low carb, not (no carb) works for me just fine. Far from a fad diet..I'm staying ;)
Good to see it's working for you Hammer:) I've been wondering about you.
I know what you mean about feeling good inside. This might sound a little crass but one of the benefits of atkins is that it makes your "business" almost a pleasure :p You know what I mean. I can't even recall the last time I had a regretable rest stop.....
mirvin

jdogginla
01-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm happy with myself........and my beer gut! But my doctor and girlfriend say it's unhealthy :hammerhea So started the "lifestyle" change this week which includes a personal trainer. He said give me a commitment for 12 weeks and I'll make you right. Not sure if I should let him know that I had rum n diet cokes last night. Guess I will have to rededicate myself starting today :hammerhea

JackieV
01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Keep it up JackieV!! Are you using the Ketone strips? They make induction a little easier. You can test yourself anytime to verify that you are in ketosis.
If you don't read the atkins book and follow the program to the letter you will fail. If you succeed you'll be very happy and food will never rule you again.
mirvin
:cool:
Hi! I just asked Art what "Ketone Strips" were and what "Ketosis" means...? He doesn't know either. Can you give me the break down? He doesn't have the book his mother does and she is the one who helped us get started.
I'll be back in about 20 minutes we are going on a walk.
Thank you in advance for the info! :wink:

JackieV
01-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Tonight we had Salmon, with some lemon that juiced it up, fresh salad with low carb ranch dressing and some veggies! Very good dinner I have to say :D .
JUST TRYING TO KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE FOR THOSE THAT NEED SUPPORT! :shift:

Bad2DBone
01-13-2005, 01:55 AM
Has anybody here tried the South Beach Diet? If so, how well does it work, and is it hard to stick to? I'am thinking of trying it. I hear it is similar to Atkins, but you can have unprocessed carbs.
My wife and I are doing the South Beach. It worked great for me last year when I did it. I switched to diet pop and cut out the breads and went from 228 to 208 in about 6 weeks. The first 2 weeks are the worst, no carbs so you can get your body into catosis (sp) then you can intoduce small ammounts of carbs. I'm not sure exactly when you can start eating more normal. My wife just tells me what phase we are in and I just do what she says. :cool:
I got lax and started back in with the sugary pop and breads and am back up to 220. :frown:
It works great though.

NashvilleBound
01-13-2005, 05:56 AM
Mad 250, 1-Test, Tribex....from VPX Sports ....while you can still get them that is..... :jawdrop:

HighRoller
01-13-2005, 08:42 AM
First of all I applaud anyone who takes steps to improve themselves, even if it is with a TV diet. You can call me a "naysayer" if you want, but think about all the tens of millions of people who were on Atkins when it was really popular. How many are on it now? How many people do you know who have been on Atkins for 1, 5 or 10 years? Not many I bet. That's because it's a "quick fix" diet. It was so popular because you lose a lot of weight quickly. The catalyst for weight loss has to come from within. It's not about the food you eat, it's about your behavior. It's not rocket science and there's no secret formula. Eat healthier and exercise more. That's it. I've been fat all my life so I have a lot of experience with fad dieting. I've lost weight multiple times and always gained it back because when you think about "weight loss" or "diet" your mind is keyed into a temporary solution. I've finally realized that if I wanted to change myself, the solution would have to come in the form of a lifestyle change. That doesn't make me special, I've just learned from my bad experiences and used a little common sense in this approach. You can say what you want about me, but why don't we dig up some old Atkins threads from in here and ask the people if they're still on the plan? I'd bet 70% of the people aren't anymore.

Mrs. casean
01-13-2005, 08:47 AM
My solution... work out 3 times a week... eat smaller portions and healthy snacks in between, and healthy meals... which for me is much less fat and calories... lost 20 in 3 months and still kept it off easy because I ate the things I liked which lucky for me is vegetables, cottage cheese and lots of salads... and allowed me to two free dinners or lunches a week... anything I want two times a week... we all have what works I guess for ourselves quick or long term... this has worked for me long term even when I haven't been exercising as long as I still eat right... Good luck to ALL OF YOU on your goals for the new year!

Mandelon
01-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Hi! I just asked Art what "Ketone Strips" were and what "Ketosis" means...? He doesn't know either. Can you give me the break down? He doesn't have the book his mother does and she is the one who helped us get started.
I'll be back in about 20 minutes we are going on a walk.
Thank you in advance for the info! :wink:
Just do a google search. Ketosis is when your body is consuming itself. Bad for diabetics, but having zero carbs is essential in this diet. You need to be in ketosis for it to work. It is kinda drastic.....
Zero carbs is not natural nor healthy. Eat like a caveman. If you can't pick it, gather it, kill it, or grow it yourself, you shouldn't be eating it. Fruit, fresh or dried, nuts, berries, veggies, meat, fish, eggs, milk all OK.
Bread, candy, cake, chips, tortillas, crackers, or anything really processed = bad. Your body was designed to hunt and gather, not eat burgers and sit at a computer screen all day.
Look around the world at who is fat....Americans eat lots of processed food, we are fat. Europeans eat a lot of fresher stuff, less processed stuff and are less fat. The Asians eat rice, ( not bread) and more fresher stuff and very little pre-prepared and processed food and are thin. Undernourished maybe, but thin! :p
Slow down, look at meal prep as entertainment, not a chore. Enjoy your food, just eat less of them. Walk after dinner for an hour...

slowinhavasuskid
01-13-2005, 09:53 AM
My solution... work out 3 times a week... eat smaller portions and healthy snacks in between, and healthy meals... which for me is much less fat and calories... lost 20 in 3 months and still kept it off easy because I ate the things I liked which lucky for me is vegetables, cottage cheese and lots of salads... and allowed me to two free dinners or lunches a week... anything I want two times a week... we all have what works I guess for ourselves quick or long term... this has worked for me long term even when I haven't been exercising as long as I still eat right... Good luck to ALL OF YOU on your goals for the new year!
I think that is great. My dad has been tellimg me to do this all along. I guess maybe I can use this once I hit my goal weight with Weight Watchers. :D

JackieV
01-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Just do a google search. Ketosis is when your body is consuming itself. Bad for diabetics, but having zero carbs is essential in this diet. You need to be in ketosis for it to work. It is kinda drastic.....
Zero carbs is not natural nor healthy. Eat like a caveman. If you can't pick it, gather it, kill it, or grow it yourself, you shouldn't be eating it. Fruit, fresh or dried, nuts, berries, veggies, meat, fish, eggs, milk all OK.
Bread, candy, cake, chips, tortillas, crackers, or anything really processed = bad. Your body was designed to hunt and gather, not eat burgers and sit at a computer screen all day.
Look around the world at who is fat....Americans eat lots of processed food, we are fat. Europeans eat a lot of fresher stuff, less processed stuff and are less fat. The Asians eat rice, ( not bread) and more fresher stuff and very little pre-prepared and processed food and are thin. Undernourished maybe, but thin! :p
Slow down, look at meal prep as entertainment, not a chore. Enjoy your food, just eat less of them. Walk after dinner for an hour...
THANKS FOR THE MEANING ON THAT!
We walked last night again. Eventually we should be gone for an hour. It's me though...when we first start to walk or run...OH MY GOSH :cry: !!! I start itching all over my fatty parts like some freak and have to scratch as soon as we are done or start to slow down walking or running. I hate that feeling and the fact that I end up with red welts all over.

mirvin
01-13-2005, 10:40 AM
OK folks here it is in a nutshell:
Ketosis is when your body is using fat as it's primary energy source. This is acheived by starving your body of carbs for at least two weeks. It is called INDUCTION.
Mandelone, I think that carb induced ketosis is defferent then diabetic induced ketosis, or at least thats how I understand it after reading the info from atkins.
As long as you eat plenty of fat and protien you will be fine. What not good is when you starve yourself. Then your body is forced to break down muscle tissue to survive.....THIS WILL KILL YOU. :220v:
Atkins is a 4 stage plan and you must transistion through all phases to see the full health benefits. Any cheating will result in little to no results and possibl health risks. :skull:
HighROller.....to each his own my brutha :cool: Did I mention I've been doing this atkins thing for 3 years now, as well as my wife and I know plenty of people who have been successful at it for many years now.
I also know lots of people who have failed, but that's the way it goes. THeres' one thing that some people forget: OA!! (overeaters anonymous) I know several people who failed at every diet they tried but found success at Overeaters Anonymous. Thats' right, people are ADDICTED TO FOOD.
mirvin :cool:

IN2MX
01-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Or you can do like my Uncle has done fro years, be very thin and have almost 6-pack abs, with no time in the gym....
Smoke 1 pack of cigarettes a day, coupled with a pot of coffee, and hostess cup cakes.....
And he is not the only one I have seen do this...
Here I am; Running, Living at El pollo Loco eating just chicken breasts and vegatables, and drinking nothing but a gallon of water a day, struggling...
Its not fair..... :(
But then again, the holidays put a real hurt on...Gotta love home cooked holiday food!

Mr.Havasu
01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
THANKS FOR THE MEANING ON THAT!
We walked last night again. Eventually we should be gone for an hour. It's me though...when we first start to walk or run...OH MY GOSH :cry: !!! I start itching all over my fatty parts like some freak and have to scratch as soon as we are done or start to slow down walking or running. I hate that feeling and the fact that I end up with red welts all over.
That's the blood starting to circulate again. I hate that as well it drives me crazy. It will go away as you get in better shape, Hage in there.
Thanks everyone for the replys and the encouragement. I'm down 7 lbs in 7 days. A little fast I know but it's the first week and it will slow up. I'll be posting in the test forums under "Thin in 2005" my results on a regular basis, feel free to check in there as well after this thread dissapears on the back pages.
Thanks again everyone,
Michele

JackieV
01-13-2005, 11:53 AM
That's the blood starting to circulate again. I hate that as well it drives me crazy. It will go away as you get in better shape, Hage in there.
Thanks everyone for the replys and the encouragement. I'm down 7 lbs in 7 days. A little fast I know but it's the first week and it will slow up. I'll be posting in the test forums under "Thin in 2005" my results on a regular basis, feel free to check in there as well after this thread dissapears on the back pages.
Thanks again everyone,
Michele
That is wonderful! Keep it up! I won't let this thread go away! I need the support too!

Mr.Havasu
01-13-2005, 12:08 PM
That is wonderful! Keep it up! I won't let this thread go away! I need the support too!
That's why I started one in the test forums, It will stay on the front page there forever. Plus we don't have to bug anyone else that isn't interested in it in the sand bar. I just wanted to start one in the sand bar so peeps that were interested could find it in the test forums to continue it through the year.
Great job so far Jackie!

JustMVG
01-14-2005, 03:49 PM
bump

JustMVG
01-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Luscious, do you have any other diet and excercise suggestions?
I'm a little over 250lbs and would like to get down to a better weight, what would you suggest, my birthday is coming soon, and i want to look better for my wife.
This is my wife http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85Margo_sexy1-med.jpg
ain't she cute?!!! Now you know why i married this lovely woman!!!

Luscious
01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, hello MandMVG. I believe that the best exercise program for your birthday to look good for your wife is to get dressed up and take her out to dinner. (Wait a minute it's YOUR birthday) Have HER dress up for you and enjoy! As far as excercise, It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what kind of excercise to do with a beautiful woman in front of you!!
--Luscious

JustMVG
01-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Well, hello MandMVG. I believe that the best exercise program for your birthday to look good for your wife is to get dressed up and take her out to dinner. (Wait a minute it's YOUR birthday) Have HER dress up for you and enjoy! As far as excercise, It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what kind of excercise to do with a beautiful woman in front of you!!
--Luscious
Yes yes you are correct, hope she'll do the dress up thing for me, maybe celebrate the Steak and BJ holiday we men enjoy so much!!!! :D :D WooooHOOO!!!!
Thanks Ms L, good advice!!!
MikeVG

JackieV
01-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Warlock thanks for the encouragment, I need it!
Art and I have walked about 4 times this week and I am alot better with the circulation thing that seemed to bother me when we 1st started.
Hope you all are doing great on your programs! :) :wink:

JustMVG
01-15-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm liking the reward part of this workout thing!!! Not only getting in better shape but having a goal and sticking w it. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost a bunch of weight, kept it off for quite awhile, than it gradually packed back on, so here we go again. Good Luck to everyone , and if you've come this far this year, congrats and keep it up!!!!
MVG

JackieV
01-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Yup! it is a pretty rewarding feeling. My honey Art is pushing me through it...very supportive...although I think he just wants to hurry up and start taking some naughty pictures with the digi... :2purples: :)

C-2
01-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Luscious, do you have any other diet and excercise suggestions?
I'm a little over 250lbs and would like to get down to a better weight, what would you suggest, my birthday is coming soon, and i want to look better for my wife.
This is my wife http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/85Margo_sexy1-med.jpg
ain't she cute?!!! Now you know why i married this lovely woman!!!
Mike,
To cut weight I went on a good ole' fashioned low calorie diet. I'm not taking in more than 300-400 calories per day, using low cal soups, vitamins, and a few veggies. Worse part is though - NO BEER :cry: :cry: :cry:
Since Jan 3, I went from 214 to 199 today. Working out will follow after I reach my target weight of 175.
C2 without beer is like corn flakes without the milk!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

JustMVG
01-15-2005, 12:42 AM
C-2 thats great!!! Keep it up, after doing the Atkins thing, right now i'm still doing the "Induction" part of the plan, and working out i'm hoping to get down to 180-185 by the end of the year, i'm at 260 right now, it'll be a challenge but just dropping the pounds and keeping them off is a great feeling!!
MVG

RiverOtter
01-15-2005, 04:23 AM
My diet plan is simple. Eat less (especially sugars and carbs) and exercise more. My goal is to exercise every day till my ski trip in Feb. :2purples:

Artv
01-20-2005, 10:23 AM
How are those diets going?

JackieV
01-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi! I'm still alive :) ! Okay so I did the BIG weigh in and I lost 5lbs. on the Atkins starter kit. NOW the hard part is getting MORE OFF like another 15lbs. and keeping it off. Hope you all are doing okay and haven't fallen off the wagon yet! LET ME KNOW!!! Cause you can jump back on, I'll help you! :wink:

C-2
01-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I was also gonna give this thread a pep talk.
Since Jan 3, down 19 lbs. Have hit a plateau for the past several days at 195.
Not killing ourselves either, just low calorie intake and plenty of supplements.
For example, dinner tonight (our pig-out day), consisted of fish tacos, sans the tortillas, cheese, rice or beans. Instead:
Farm raised Tilapia fillets, grilled with only salt/pepper/garlic powder.
Lettuce for the "tortilla."
al dente Asparagaus
Cucumber
Radish
Cabbage
Homemade relish, consisting of pickles, roasted red peppers, yellow papers, honey, salt/pep
Homemade cream sauce, made with 10 cal Mayonnaise, non-fat milk, lemon and salt/pep
Salsa
We each had three big tacos (huge, the size of your fist).
Total caloric intake: betwen 175-200 for all three tacos. This keeps us well under our 300-500 daily intake.
gotta get over the plateau though :mad:

JackieV
01-22-2005, 11:06 PM
I was also gonna give this thread a pep talk.
Since Jan 3, down 19 lbs. Have hit a plateau for the past several days at 195.
Not killing ourselves either, just low calorie intake and plenty of supplements.
For example, dinner tonight (our pig-out day), consisted of fish tacos, sans the tortillas, cheese, rice or beans. Instead:
Farm raised Tilapia fillets, grilled with only salt/pepper/garlic powder.
Lettuce for the "tortilla."
al dente Asparagaus
Cucumber
Radish
Cabbage
Homemade relish, consisting of pickles, roasted red peppers, yellow papers, honey, salt/pep
Homemade cream sauce, made with 10 cal Mayonnaise, non-fat milk, lemon and salt/pep
Salsa
We each had three big tacos (huge, the size of your fist).
Total caloric intake: betwen 175-200 for all three tacos. This keeps us well under our 300-500 daily intake.
gotta get over the plateau though :mad:
Wonderful! Good job! That actually sounds really good! I will definately have to tell the hubby, so we can try it our selves. :D

C-2
01-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Wonderful! Good job! That actually sounds really good! I will definately have to tell the hubby, so we can try it our selves. :D
Thanks.
The tacos were great, cooking is one of my favs to do.
Tilapia is a great tasting fish, anyway you cook it, with good texture too (won't fall apart while cooking). It's also cheap and readily available at most hispanic markets.
Give it a try. Hell, if you're on Atkins then you can probaby throw some of the yummy stuff in there!!! :)

beyondhelpin
01-23-2005, 02:01 PM
If you will just cut out the processed sugars and the processed flours you can lose and maintain. And not starve yourself. This is the real bases of the Atkins and the South Beach diets.

BP1330
01-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Last year the wife and I did the South Beach diet. It worked great. But the first 2 weeks were terrible. Craving and headaches.
We chose the South Beach after reading about many diet plans. South Beach seemed alot more healthy in the long run. Too many people we know had their cholesterol soar from Atkins. We didn't have that problem with South Beach. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months, and the wife lost 8(she is only 5'4 and was 116 so she didnt have much to loose). But we also added the gym.
Know after my 30th b-day I kinda quit everything and balloned back up. So I am back on the diet. Hopefully can drop the wieght before the river season so I don't have to buy new board shorts.
oh and a tip a friend gave me is to never buy larger clothes if you want to loose wieght. When your clothes are tight they are uncomfortable and it makes you realize you need to do something. Buying larger clothes helps you just accept your higher wieght.
And lastly niether of us really look at our wieght. It might sounds stupid but we took really horrible fat pictures of ourselves and placed them on the front of the refer. Kinda motivation to stay out of it!!!!!!!

BP1330
01-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh and anyone in the Riverside area looking for a gym and some really fun/good work out classes to join send me an IM. We just joined a new gym that offers some really fun stuff. The owner is really cool and works pretty well with people for discounts and stuff.

JackieV
01-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Oh and anyone in the Riverside area looking for a gym and some really fun/good work out classes to join send me an IM. We just joined a new gym that offers some really fun stuff. The owner is really cool and works pretty well with people for discounts and stuff.
Actually me and my soon to be hubby are looking for a cool gym to work out at! We live in Moreno Valley and well Hemet too... but either way we need a GYM!!! What can you do for the two of us? We are also planning on running to Vegas to get married w/o our families and want to look good in June when we do it!!! Can you get us a good discount...? We are still planning the BIG wedding in June 2006 but want to wed before we move to Arizona this June 2005 so shhhhhhh!