PDA

View Full Version : EBAY question...

HighRoller
01-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Do these people who buy stuff on EBAY just sit around until the last second? I have one bid and 6 people watching my truck but nothing more after 7 days. Should I expect more action or will it all happen at the very last hour? Just trying to get an idea if my pricing is reasonable. I need to get this thing sold and go get the other one!

Rexone
01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
If it's priced attractively you may likely get hit at the last minute. (sniped).
Some just watch stuff though to see what it sells for or if it gets bids to get an idea how to price theirs.
I've bought and sold a lot of ebay stuff but never a vehicle yet.

mickeyfinn
01-11-2005, 06:24 PM
everything I have sold has had a flurry of activity in the last 10 to 15 minutes. Bidding early just runs the price up and people have realized that.

Jrocket
01-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Actually everything that I have bought was in the very last 2-3 seconds of the auction.....very good sniper here.

Ion
01-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Actually everything that I have bought was in the very last 2-3 seconds of the auction.....very good sniper here.
Ditto that! Got my Raptor 660 in the last 20 seconds! This is the norm for good stuff.

playdeep
01-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I have only sold muscle cars on e-bay,so this may not apply...
A lot of bids are manufactured early by the sellers friends(shilling) to build interest in the item.
If a person is really interested in your vehicle,chances are you will get an e-mail asking about a buy it now price...or someone asking questions about the vehicle.
How close is the bidding to your set reserve?
If it's not close you might try lowering the reserve in order to get more people interested.
Some people will only bid on items if the seller has a lot of positive feedback,in order to feel somewhat more confident about bidding.
...seems like most e-bay buying pro's wait until the last minute.
good luck.

LilHarley
01-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Usually you should see a little activity 2 days or so out, not much, but some bites. The last 30 minutes is when the bids may start going up. The actually bidding war is the last 10 seconds on down. That is how I get 90% of my auctions, always in last 2-3 seconds..... :cool:

WetWillie
01-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Long distance snips too :rolleyes:

coolchange
01-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Just finished an unusual one. Almost 600 hits, 50 watchers, 20 bids. guy came in HARD with 2 days to go. guess he scared everyone else off cause his bid held. Buddy just sent a truck to Hawaii cause the local market for used sucks. Got 2000 over local market price.

Jrocket
01-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Long distance snips too :rolleyes:
Snooze and yer out of the game...ask him about bidding on the Mach22 on Ebay.

HighRoller
01-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the help guys. My price is VERY reasonable but I wanted to get a second opinion. I've got 6 watchers and a bid at the minimum so I'll keep my fingers crossed. The truck is listed with a buy-it-now price $500 below blue book because I know Ebayers like good deals. Wish me luck....

Rexone
01-12-2005, 12:15 AM
I checked your listing out, looks good. If it doesn't sell you might try re listing with a higher starting price and no reserve. Reserve turns alot of serious buyers off and really only attracts lookylus many times that have no intention of buying anyway. If one of them happens to bid over your reserve they usually just cancel the bid.
Not knowing where you've placed a reserve price discourages bidding in my experience because serious buyers just can't make an informed decision weather your item (vehicle in this case) is within the price range they want to consider. Once they click off many times they just never come back like anything else. When you list higher with no reserve they know where they stand right up front and if they're serious they will either bid right then or watch list you and snipe at the end.
Just my opinion. I am "boatpartsman" (http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZboatpartsman) on ebay btw.