PDA

View Full Version : Business Name

BIGTYME
01-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Ficticious name? How does a guy reserve a certain one. I am currently a REALTOR and will be opening my own company soon. Is it possible for me to reserve a name even though I am not opening the business for another year?
What are the steps?
Thanks in advance.

Mandelon
01-13-2005, 09:59 AM
I recall filing a fictitious business name statement. You need to publish it in a local paper for three weeks and pay a fee to somebody......google it!

C-2
01-13-2005, 10:14 AM
1. You do a search at the county clerk/recorder to be sure the name is not already in use.
2. File the fictitious business name statement – be prepared to provide physical street addresses – po boxes do not suffice in many counties.
3. You will receive your copy back and can open a bank account. If you are not going to use the name right away – make sure you save the paperwork; otherwise the bank won’t open an account.
4. You need to publish the FBN for it to be valid. Otherwise, it’s considered abandoned and has no legal affect.
Many times the recorder will be able to provide you with the name of a newspaper that does legal publishing. In Los Angeles County, there is a plethora of service company’s onsite that will do everything for you.
Check your county website, most of them have pretty good links/instructions.
Good luck :)

OC-PARTYCAT
01-13-2005, 10:45 AM
just go down to your local paper. You fill out all the paper work and they will do the search for you, publish it, and send it out to the county for recording.
If you think your name may be taken in your county, there is a line for alternate names to be used. Some papers/counties have a online dba search to make it easy for you. The paper will send you a receipt in about a week and you can open up a bank acount without the official papers from the clerk. After you get your dba, I would suggest incorporating when you start the bank roll. This is also a very easy thing to do. There are several lawyers that will charge you about 500 +/- to make it official. Make sure you set up a trust that owns 80% of the stock...this may just save your ass in the future if you run into some finacial problems.