PDA

View Full Version : Co-signing a loan?

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok, I really need some advice on this.
So, about 6 months ago, my girlfriend asked me what I thought about co signing a loan for her brother in law to get a Harley. I told her it wouldnt be a good idea. But she did it anyway :mad: And I, or should I say she, gets a notice in the mail today, that if we do not send $600 and some odd dollars, the bike will get repoed on Monday. Should I just send the money, or should I let the bank repo the bike. I would hate for my girlfriend to have a repo on her record over a measly $600. I told her that we should pay the money, and go get the bike. But then, I'll have a Harley to pay for, and have no to try and sell. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ClownRoyal
01-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Dump your girlfriend.

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:21 PM
LOL, she may dump me for as much hell as I'm giving her about this. :D

a catered life
01-13-2005, 12:21 PM
if you pay it now you will be paying it again in three months :220v: use your head. she might have to learn a lesson from this the hard way :argue: ask your self if you pay it.... will it bother you everytime you see the brother or the bike? :confused:

oldbuck40
01-13-2005, 12:23 PM
hey Greaser that realy sucks! just be glad that your name isnt on it... if she had any doubt about the brother inlaw why in the hell did she co-sign,,did she not know that if he defaulted on payment she was next in line to take up payments? its hard to say if i would get involved or not,,but if i did i would make damn sure and have someone from the bank and a law enforcment of some kind go to where the bike is and pick it up.

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
if you pay it now you will be paying it again in three months :220v: use your head. she might have to learn a lesson from this the hard way :argue: ask your self if you pay it.... will it bother you everytime you see the brother or the bike? :confused:
It could make for quite interesting family get togethers :devil:
Would it be worth it to let the bike get repoed, as far as my girl friends credit is concerned?

NOTALENT
01-13-2005, 12:25 PM
she messed up..its her credit let her be responsible for it..your credit will still be good with 600 in ur pocket. :D

VEGASBABY
01-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Do what you said, make the payment, get the bike, sell it. Of course she is your girl friend and hopefully you to have no finacial ties, if not let her learn a lesson, its only gonna hurt her!

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:27 PM
hey Greaser that realy sucks! just be glad that your name isnt on it... if she had any doubt about the brother inlaw why in the hell did she co-sign,,did she not know that if he defaulted on payment she was next in line to take up payments? its hard to say if i would get involved or not,,but if i did i would make damn sure and have someone from the bank and a law enforcment of some kind go to where the bike is and pick it up.
Yea, thats what I was thinking. Although, I dont think the brother in law would try to get violent. He is not a very physical guy. I just got off the phone with my girlfriends sister, and she said that there is no way they can afford the payments anymore.

Her454
01-13-2005, 12:29 PM
The question is........is she a girlfriend or a fiance?.............and how will it really effect you later? If you plan on marrying her, take the bike, pay it...hopefully lesson learned.
If not (and this is touchy), then hell with it, let her make her own mistakes and your 600.00 better off.

Mrs. Restless22
01-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Her credit is probably already slightly messed up from the late payments on the bike. Dont let it get any worse with the Repo.
Ill NEVER ever co-sign anyone on anything. If they need a co-signer, they probably cant afford the toy they are buying :notam:

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Did I mention that thier new Tahoe got repoed last week :mad:

Her454
01-13-2005, 12:32 PM
BTW, I co signed for my sisters truck after her divorce about 10 years ago. I took the truck back, sold it and she didnt speak to me for about 4 years and family members took sides etc.....wasn't pretty.

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:32 PM
The question is........is she a girlfriend or a fiance?.............and how will it really effect you later? If you plan on marrying her, take the bike, pay it...hopefully lesson learned.
If not (and this is touchy), then hell with it, let her make her own mistakes and your 600.00 better off.
Girlfriend at the moment, but fiance in the near future

Her454
01-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Pay it, it effects you directly then.

ClownRoyal
Did I mention that thier new Tahoe got repoed last week :mad:
Damn...now I know for sure you need to dump your girlfriend :wink:

superdave013
it could be worse, you could have co-signed for some fake tits and now have someone else sucking on 'em. I never understood why a guy would co-sign for tits. :confused:
Based on what the sister said if it was me and my GF (who became my wife) I'd have to say make the payments until the bike gets sold. (and said bike would be in your gf's garage until it sells)

ChumpChange
01-13-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for a Harley, how much is owed on the note? Give me a call if you want a way out. 626.914.7390
Doh! Just realized you're in TX.

VEGASBABY
01-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Girlfriend at the moment, but fiance in the near futureOuch! you may wanna have a long talk about working together, cause good credit is a must in todays world, with out it things get expensive. If your get married she cant do this stuff with out the to of you agreeing on it!

oldbuck40
01-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Yea, thats what I was thinking. Although, I dont think the brother in law would try to get violent. He is not a very physical guy. I just got off the phone with my girlfriends sister, and she said that there is no way they can afford the payments anymore.then why in the hell did her sister wait till the last minute to tell her and put her in such a bind!!!! i see your dilema dont loan her the money and get cut off,or pay it and have to go to the trouble of selling it or be strapped paying for the rest of the note!!! hey guess what if you have to pay for the bike your not gonna get the BBF upgrades you wanted!!!!!! let her suffer,,sorry but if she realy loves you she will just lick her wounds and stay with you!!! and if she doesnt she doesnt deserve ya,,,,your a smart guy do what you think is right

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-13-2005, 12:39 PM
pay it and take the bike. It should be easy to sell. If you get married, her credit comes with you and will make life very difficult...

dimarcobros
01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Tough love is never an easy thing, that is why they call it tough.
DMB

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Ouch! you may wanna have a long talk about working together, cause good credit is a must in todays world, with out it things get expensive. If your get married she cant do this stuff with out the to of you agreeing on it!
Belive me, that talk is coming tonight. Maybe on the way home from picking up the bike. My girlfriend wants to go get the bike, but she wants to keep it in my garage until we deciede what we are gonna do with it. Her parents dont know she co signed, and she doesnt want to tell them whats going on.
Granted, I would prolly be excited about getting the bike, if I knew how to ride it. The monthly payments are only $236. :idea:

lucky
01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Well If You Can Afford It, Go Pay For It And Make Her Ride Your Hog All Night And Forever .../.. :d

ECeptor
01-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you've been the victim of financial adultery.
Money issues break up more marriages than anything else. This is a bad sign.
Personally, I'd pay the $600 and repo the bike myself and sell it.

oldbuck40
01-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Belive me, that talk is coming tonight. Maybe on the way home from picking up the bike. My girlfriend wants to go get the bike, but she wants to keep it in my garage until we deciede what we are gonna do with it. Her parents dont know she co signed, and she doesnt want to tell them whats going on.
Granted, I would prolly be excited about getting the bike, if I knew how to ride it. The monthly payments are only $236. :idea:i hope its not one of those loans,,,its just 236 a month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for 20yrs!!! :jawdrop:

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
i hope its not one of those loans,,,its just 236 a month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for 20yrs!!! :jawdrop:
Tell me about it. I think we are gonna go get the bike, and try to sell it. I'll have to tote the note till it sells, but it wont kill me. Hell, I dont even know what year or style harley it is. All I know is it is blue and silver, and some kind of anniversary edition.

Her454
01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
i hope its not one of those loans,,,its just 236 a month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for 20yrs!!! :jawdrop:
.....sounds like it..................... :(

beer hunter
01-13-2005, 12:55 PM
LOL, she may dump me for as much hell as I'm giving her about this. :D
Less work for you :hammerhea

Greaser
01-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Just found out the balance is a lil over $14,000

oldbuck40
01-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Just found out the balance is a lil over $14,000hey greaser shoot garry a pm up there at plowmans he knows a bunch of guys that will pass the word on the bike,,and your not that far from here either! texas jet has his phone #too

cola
01-13-2005, 01:00 PM
What model. Bet it's a flstf :redface: you could sell it for that if it's clean.

Essex502
01-13-2005, 01:04 PM
And how old are you Greaser? And your girlfriend? How long have you been dating this gal? Should you be thinking of marriage at all? Financial disagreements are the death of many, many marriages. Get your house together NOW. Not later. Dump her and the no good in-laws before it is too late. If they see that you're gonna' roll over on this one then you might become a soft touch in their minds in the future. Even when married there is no guarantee that your "to be wife" won't co-sign a note for the in-laws again without you knowing about it and then it IS your credit she'd mucking up. Get a new girlfriend. Cheaper in the long run.

ECeptor
01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Check www.nada.com and www.kbb.com to get a ballpark resale value. You'll need to know the year, model, miles, and condition. You can also see what they are going for on www.cycletrader.com.

dimarcobros
01-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Do you have any pictures? I might be interested in taking it off your hands.
DMB

Her454
01-13-2005, 01:14 PM
And how old are you Greaser? And your girlfriend? How long have you been dating this gal? Should you be thinking of marriage at all? Get a new girlfriend. Cheaper in the long run.
Little harsh there Essex? I dont think he asked for marital advice just some insight on the co-signing, give him a break. :2purples:

dirty old man
01-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Wheres the response from the scum-bag who bought the bike in the first place. Whats his problem

beer hunter
01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
And how old are you Greaser? And your girlfriend? How long have you been dating this gal? Should you be thinking of marriage at all? Financial disagreements are the death of many, many marriages. Get your house together NOW. Not later. Dump her and the no good in-laws before it is too late. If they see that you're gonna' roll over on this one then you might become a soft touch in their minds in the future. Even when married there is no guarantee that your "to be wife" won't co-sign a note for the in-laws again without you knowing about it and then it IS your credit she'd mucking up. Get a new girlfriend. Cheaper in the long run.
I see this sh!t way too often, nice guys getting rolled by their GF's/wife's family. My friend just dumped his GF of several years when she started the "but we can afford to help MY family out" ...all while her family was making stupid financial decisions and blowing money on sh!t they didn't need but asking for money to pay the rent. :eat:

ratso
01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Really the only question is..."How good is she in the sack?" That will answer all your questions. :rollside:

Devilman
01-13-2005, 01:22 PM
I had a girl years ago that put me through a lot of financial grief... Your situation sounds familiar. After a little while I realized jackin off was cheaper! :D :D

Her454
01-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Really the only question is..."How good is she in the sack?" That will answer all your questions. :rollside:
AND IT TOOK 41 posts for that to come up..................... :D Im shocked! :mix:

Devilman
01-13-2005, 01:27 PM
She was dam good!! Problem was, she knew I thought so :D One of life's harsh lessons, but it was a ... learning experience to say the least :messedup:

ratso
01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
AND IT TOOK 41 posts for that to come up..................... :D Im shocked! :mix:
Hey, easy there. I just got here. :notam:

ECeptor
01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Little harsh there Essex? I dont think he asked for marital advice just some insight on the co-signing, give him a break. :2purples:
Yes and no. The delivery of the point was a little blunt, but if they don't see eye to eye on how to handle finances that can fortell big issues in the relationship down the road.
I'd look at it this way...if she says "in retrospect I really should have left my brother to his own means on this one" then she's learned her lesson. If she see's no flaw with what she did, then she'll make the same mistake over and over.
And let's be real here folks - it was a loan for a freakin' motorcycle (I own one so don't go postal on me!) which is a TOY. If she was giving him money for some life threatening surgury that his insurance didn't cover, that's a whole different story. I'd give my brother my life saving for the right reason...but not for a bike or other toy!

topless
01-13-2005, 01:31 PM
She was dam good!! Problem was, she knew I thought so :D One of life's harsh lessons, but it was a ... learning experience to say the least :messedup:
Hey Devilman, How's the weather there in Edna? It's by Inez right?

oldbuck40
01-13-2005, 01:33 PM
well look,ya'll ran him off,,Greaser is old enough to be married and a smart guy,i've met him and run around with him at the river,he will do the right thing. but $$$ and getting married can cause hell i dont care how much or little you make if you and the gf arent on the same playing field,you might as well look else where for some nookie you wont have to pay for,,,you know what they say: if it floats,fly's or f ocks rent it dont buy it!!!!!

Her454
Hey, easy there. I just got here. :notam:
Yes but you made me proud...I was worried there for a second and thought you were losing your edge.................. :)

Devilman
Hey Devilman, How's the weather there in Edna? It's by Inez right?
Yeah, Inez is about 10 miles away. Right down the road a piece. Right now the weather is pretty decent. Suns shining like crazy, but its kinda cool and the wind is blowing like hell!!

topless
01-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, Inez is about 10 miles away. Right down the road a piece. Right now the weather is pretty decent. Suns shining like crazy, but its kinda cool and the wind is blowing like hell!!I grew up in Wharton. I miss Texas sometimes and then I remember the flying roaches and the feeling passes. :D

Devilman
01-13-2005, 01:42 PM
You got family in the area still?

ratso
01-13-2005, 01:53 PM
You got family in the area still?
She has a brother here in Waco, although he denies any connection. :D

topless
01-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Yes, My parents still live there and my sister and 2 of my brothers live in Houston. My other brother lives in Waco. My best friend is in Halletsville.

Her454
01-13-2005, 01:55 PM
ROTFLMAO........................... :D :D

topless
01-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't blame him. :skull:

Devilman
01-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Small world!! I've got a bit of family in California(Vacaville) They're always trying to get us to come out there... but most of my family is scattered around here in South Texas.

SoCalOffshore
01-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I didnt read the whole thread, but why wouldn't the girlfriend pay the $600? She is the one who co-signed. Why would this be your debt to pay? Lastly, a co-signer is a "fool with a pen." Good luck.

oldbuck40
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I didnt read the whole thread, but why wouldn't the girlfriend pay the $600? She is the one who co-signed. Why would this be your debt to pay? Lastly, a co-signer is a "fool with a pen." Good luck.from what Greaser was telling me is the gf's sister didnt even tell her sister she was behind on payments until just now??? who kows! i think he is gone at the moment to go get the bike,,he is smart enough he'll make so dough on it!!he's looking for upgrades on his BBF for this spring.

JetBoatRich
01-13-2005, 02:25 PM
it could be worse, you could have co-signed for some fake tits and now have someone else sucking on 'em. I never understood why a guy would co-sign for tits. :confused:
LMAO :idea:

ratso
01-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Based on what the sister said if it was me and my GF (who became my wife) I'd have to say make the payments until the bike gets sold. (and said bike would be in your gf's garage until it sells)
I always like those better...the ones someone else has already paid for. :D

topless
01-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Unforgiven likes to buy them for various girls.

Her454
01-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Unforgiven likes to buy them for various girls.
LMAO.................

SHOTKALLIN
01-13-2005, 02:49 PM
If you are not ingaged or thinking about getting ingaged then let her pay the $600 or take the repo. It should be her decision since she didn't want to take your advice in the beginning. Afterall, she must have the spare money or she would never of co-signed right?
If this is your future wife then chew her ass good about going against you in financial matters(her credit is about to be your credit), pay the $600, KEEP THE BIKE IN YOUR GARAGE SO THE IDIOT DOESN'T BORROW IT AND WRECK IT!!!
Keep it for yourself or sell it.
Just my .02

sanger rat
01-13-2005, 03:28 PM
And make sure the bike has insurance on it. Would suck if something happened to it.

Greaser
01-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Just got back from getting the bike, will let you guys know what happened tomorrow when I have more time. Believe me, it almost came to :boxingguy

diggler
01-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Almost to blows eh? Screw the guy that can't pay for his bills, and even admits it. What, did he expect you to pay for it and he ride for free? jeez-louise... just like people today. They now the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Greaser
01-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Ok, Let me start out this post by saying that I love my Girlfriend very much, and there is no way in hell I would let $600 come between us. Nor would I let any of her family come between us. This girl would do anything in her power just to make me happy. She has given more to me than I can even say. She has been more understanding than anyone I have ever dated, and yes, the sex is FANTASTIC So dumping her was never an option.
Whith that said, the ride yesterday to get the bike was almost a 2 hour drive, so I had plenty of time to speak my mind. I gave her the lecture about when we get married , her credit will affect my credit, and that she need to start consulting with me on future finance decisions. Well, when we get to her sisters house, the brother in law was outside waiting on us. When I got out the truck, the first thing he says is, "The bike aint goin nowhere". Which I replied, "Well, the way I see it is, you have 2 choices, 1 you can give me the $600 you owe on the balance, and get the bike refinanced in your name, in which the bike will be in my posetion till that happens, or 2 you can just give the bike to us peacefully. Either way, the bike is coming home with me today. After that, his wife,(my girlfriends sis) take him inside and talks to him. After about about 45 min. and a whole lot of arguing, she comes back outside and tells us to take the bike, and try to sell it. So we load the bike up. As a peace offering, I asked if they would like to go eat at olive garden with us, my treat of course, but they declined :D
So it looks like I am the current owner of a 2003 Dyna Lowrider. The bike is in suprisingly good shape. Looks brand new, and only has a lil over 3000 miles on it.

ECeptor
01-14-2005, 08:22 AM
So it looks like I am the current owner of a 2003 Dyna Lowrider. The bike is in suprisingly good shape. Looks brand new, and only has a lil over 3000 miles on it.
NADA shows a used value of $14,040. Add $600 if it is the 100th anniversary edition.

Greaser
01-14-2005, 09:39 AM
NADA shows a used value of $14,040. Add $600 if it is the 100th anniversary edition.
I think it is the anniversary edition. And the balance on the account is $13,083.22 after I made the $600 payment to get it current.

a catered life
01-14-2005, 09:47 AM
ok wtf do guys really co sign for tits. :2purples: i must be getting old

ECeptor
01-14-2005, 09:51 AM
At least he's not upside down no the bike. Sell it fast, put the $600 back in your pocket and turn the rest over to the idiot!

Greaser
01-14-2005, 10:33 AM
At least he's not upside down no the bike. Sell it fast, put the $600 back in your pocket and turn the rest over to the idiot!
I would sooner sell it for the payoff amount befor I would put any money in that assh#les wallet

canuck1
01-14-2005, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Greaser]Ok, Let me start out this post by saying that I love my Girlfriend very much, and there is no way in hell I would let $600 come between us. Nor would I let any of her family come between us. This girl would do anything in her power just to make me happy. She has given more to me than I can even say. She has been more understanding than anyone I have ever dated, and yes, the sex is FANTASTIC So dumping her was never an option.
Just wait till you put that ring on her finger :D

Greaser
01-14-2005, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=Greaser]Ok, Let me start out this post by saying that I love my Girlfriend very much, and there is no way in hell I would let $600 come between us. Nor would I let any of her family come between us. This girl would do anything in her power just to make me happy. She has given more to me than I can even say. She has been more understanding than anyone I have ever dated, and yes, the sex is FANTASTIC So dumping her was never an option.
Just wait till you put that ring on her finger :D
You mean to tell me that all that changes after you say I do? :(

78Eliminator
01-14-2005, 01:08 PM
~!~!~!