PDA

View Full Version : Flooded interior

dicudmore
01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Just bailed my boat out of the storage yard its at....
Had it stored with the bilge plug in it during the last rain. Covered/tarped etc. Water got through the covers and FILLED the cabin area. No joke there is more water down there than my bath-tub at home holds. Had a pump running in there now for about an hour and its only dropped a couple inches....
Guess I'll be reupholstering that cabin soon :squiggle:

HCS
01-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Pump it out. Put it in the sun and let it dry. Then scrub the crap out of it.
Should look as good as new.

Artv
01-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear about that... :(

Roxysnow
01-14-2005, 11:19 PM
That sucks, who would have thought we would've got that much rain???? :(

AirtimeLavey
01-15-2005, 12:13 AM
plug in...plug out...guess you can screwed either way. Coulda been worse...Castaic way. :mad:
Bummer. :(

Kilrtoy
01-15-2005, 12:21 AM
That sucks, Sorry to hear about it, But on the bright have your BOAT BIATCHES ....
PLYA SYA AND FRENCHIE clean that shit for you ......

RiverOtter
01-15-2005, 04:26 AM
My buddy did the same thing with his old school Master Craft. Water up to the manifolds. What a mess :yuk:

a catered life
01-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Pump it out. Put it in the sun and let it dry. Then scrub the crap out of it.
Should look as good as new.
i agree

OutCole'd
01-15-2005, 04:33 PM
That sucks Dan. I would hope that just letting it dry out real good & scrubbing the carpet would help. Best of luck.

Mrs.Racer277
01-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Dan sorry to hear that. Hope it cleans up ok.

Mandelon
01-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Anything organic or cellulose can support fungal/mold growth. Get it dried out quickly and thoroughly. The nylons and plastics will be good, but any exposed wood can be a problem. Run a blower in there for awhile. Keep it uncovered if you can.

77charger
01-15-2005, 07:19 PM
My last rip to the river my bro towed my boat back to his house i was to pick up but laziness kicked in and he lives in perris me in fullerton.Anyhow i knew rain was coming so i called and make sure cover is on tight,etc.water still made it thru i had the whole ski locker filled to the top engin comp full also plug was out but boat was parked slightly facing down :confused: .When i picked up it looked dry but the damn thing was still spilling water here and there the whole way home i left it uncovered in my parking spot in back yard(under a canopy) with a small heater running inside also left the blower motor runnin the whole time gave heat,drying,and circulation.At the time more rain was due again(oct storms) so i couldnt just leave out besides sun wasnt even out.I left the cover on but only covered half the boat took 3 days to completly dry out.
with this weather now leave out in the sun at home i bet it would dry out in a day or 2 at most

cola
01-15-2005, 07:29 PM
I know run it to Catalina & back WFO, that should help. :D
Mike

dicudmore
01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
I know run it to Catalina & back WFO, that should help. :D
Mike
Beaumont style.....WFO until it breaks :cry:
Then WFO some more :rolleyes: :cool:

rrrr
01-15-2005, 11:56 PM
A few years ago my brother left the plug in his Mastercraft ski boat during the winter. The roof of his covered storage stall leaked water, and over the winter the boat accumulated around 2' of water, almost up to the engine exhaust manifolds.
When he went to check on the boat in the Spring, it was a mass of mold and mildew, the interior was toast. Since then, I have always removed the plug when storing a boat.
Unfortunately, you never know which way to go. The photos of boats stored at Castaic show that flooding will screw you too.
A good rule of thumb is that you'll always do the wrong thing and it will cost you the maximum amount of money..... :220v: :220v:

HOOTER SLED-
01-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Dude, that freakin sucks!!!! You give us a ride some day, and I'll gladly come help clean up!!!! :D

LUVNLIFE
01-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Sorry to hear that Dan. Wedid get an assload of rain in the area. :frown:

Havasu Hangin'
01-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear that.
I had my old boat get flooded (turns out the water was seeping in through the seams in the cover).
Mandy and 77 are right on. Get it dry ASAP...even the treated wood will get some damage, let alone the carpet glue and upholstery.

shadow
01-16-2005, 08:52 AM
SHIT! :frown: Sorry to hear that Dan.Pull the plug, tilit it up with blocks as far as you can,take out the seats lay them in the sun,wet vac the carpet and put the boat in the sun.
I would think it would be ok.We had a shit load of water in ours once and it dried out ok with no problems.
Good luck.

INSman
01-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Sorry to hear about the water issue, I hate those Castaic outdoor storage areas and although I know they are very convenient to some, I just pony up the money for a beautiful indoor storage facility that is luckily right by my house.

dicudmore
01-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Dude, that freakin sucks!!!! You give us a ride some day, and I'll gladly come help clean up!!!! :D
anytime on that ride....

Stupid Fast
01-16-2005, 10:50 AM
If you have a dehumidifier put it in the boat with the cover on and the drain hose out the back.....You would not belive how fast it will dry up your interior....
EMC

Kachina26
01-16-2005, 10:54 AM
We got most of it, I like the dehumidifier idea though.

Moe_Havi
01-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi Dan;
I'd like to say "drain it, dry it and it's good to go" but the starter is probably toast if the water reached it and you should check behind the boot seal where it conects to outdrive. If water gets in, everything gets rusty. The starter will probable work right after you dry it but once water gets in it will eventually freeze up. It happened to me when I forgot about the old drain plug. daaa. Anyway, everythings fine and I go out to Elsinore three weeks later, boat starts fine. Just sitting in the water and decide to go and the starter is seized. Check it out. It sucks breaking down.

DansBlown73Nordic
01-16-2005, 11:26 AM
A friend of mine once left the plug in a boat all winter. It got so full it froze and broke the sides of the boat.... :messedup: :sqeyes:
The Dehumidfier is a great idea......

Mandelon
01-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Buy 1800 gallons of wd40 and submerge the boat in that....... :) Seriously maybe contact an IICRC qualified drying and cleaning expert.

Debbolas
01-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Our boat filled up, we just parked it backwards and drained it. There was water (about a foot) in the cuddy cabin. I have the seats pulled up to air out and will give it a good scrubbing. :D

dicudmore
01-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Our boat filled up, we just parked it backwards and drained it. There was water (about a foot) in the cuddy cabin. I have the seats pulled up to air out and will give it a good scrubbing. :D
how much for you to come over and help scrub mine? :D

Debbolas
01-16-2005, 02:12 PM
how much for you to come over and help scrub mine? :D
Trailer your boat over and we will have a boat scrubbing party! :D
You have to wait for it to dry, (and then maybe keep some foam carpet air freshener in your boat for later, just in case) Our's always drys out and cleans up good. ;)

coolchange
01-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Dont set it in the sun, you'll warp the plywood. If it has holes in the wood squeeze it out. If you can get to the staples and open it up on a edge then tip it up and let it drain. If you have bolsters they have to be treated as a seperate cushion. Damage will depend on how the wood was finished. If you open it up drop them by when they're dry and I'll button them back up.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear that. I checked on my boat last week and the cover heldthe water pretty good. The interior was dry. I still put up some poles that make my cover look like a tent so that will help. The boat next to me had enough water in it that I am betting he will need the same pump you needed.

Phat Daddy
01-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I pulled the cover off my boat yesterday to find over a foot of water. I spent the whole day pulling my seats out and using the shop vac to collect the water. I left the seats out and the boat uncovered, will keep it like this for a few days. I guess i need a new cover :(

Scream
01-16-2005, 07:55 PM
15 days of rain will do that for ya Dan, we had a similar problem, but a ride around the block and driving it up the driveway instead of nose down went along way to getting the 'ol Scream machine dry as a bone.
You've got marine carpet in the Cheetah. You'll be fine as long as you keep the mold out of the picture.
Scream

Buster
01-16-2005, 08:10 PM
That sucks Dan. You must have cleaned it out pretty good though as I saw you Sat driving on the 405 in the valley. Must have been coming back from the Cat run... It was so nice yesterday I wish we had our boat here.
Dry it out the best you can. We had some standing water in our boat a couple of months ago when those big rains came through Havasu. Our boat was in the shop and they left it outside (with the cover on) and when we picked it up there was water in the sponsons. When we cleaned up after the day at the lake my wife found mold already growing in the wells. We scrubed, cleaned and vacumed everything and left all the hatches open to let it dry. (Stored inside)
Anyhow, best of luck on this.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Dan, sorry to hear about this. Pm Essex502 and ask him about the dessicant cylinders. They are a good way to remove moisture. I would think they would be a good thing for to use after you get all of the standing water out.

cdog
01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Same thing happened to me. I used the wet vac to get the water out. Then get 5 or 6 packages of baking soda to asorb the moisture. I use them all the time now when in storage and she stay's nice and dry.

al cole'holic
01-17-2005, 11:38 AM
..sounds like I oughta get the indoor storage idea off the ground here in Van Nuys :supp:

Tremor Therapy
01-17-2005, 12:06 PM
I ended up with standing water in my last boat. I pulled the plug, let it dry, scrubbed the heck out of it once it dried, and never had another issue (for 2 years)!
Along with the standard boat cover, I purchase a 20 x 40 silver tarp, and wrap the boat up during the winter....the tarp has never once leaked! I also purchased one of the dehumidifiers from Overton's, and the little cups with the pellets. I took the covers off Saturday, and the little cup dealio only had about 1/2" of water! I'd say the tarp and dehumidifier do well!

BigDogIvan
01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't want to sound like a smart a$$. But why would you leave the drain plug in while the boat is on the trailer in between outings? Mine comes out when we pull the boat out of the water and is part of my rutine to put it in when we are in the get ready area to go into the water. Just me Lil Ol 2 bits worth. :)
BD

Debbolas
01-17-2005, 02:52 PM
We just had a big warm wind blow through here, so my boat is dry!
(dirty) but dry :cool:

purrfecttremor
01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
man dan that sucks my floor in my last boat [ultra] warped when the cvr leaked but i believe it was wet for about two months.gitter dry in a hurry!

dicudmore
01-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't want to sound like a smart a$$. But why would you leave the drain plug in while the boat is on the trailer in between outings? Mine comes out when we pull the boat out of the water and is part of my rutine to put it in when we are in the get ready area to go into the water. Just me Lil Ol 2 bits worth. :)
BD
uh, it was left in on accident. one of those catalina saturday, lake sunday, put away in a hurry in the dark by yourself need the truck to go to work in a couple hours deals. and supposed to go out again the next week...

BigDogIvan
01-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Thats understandable, things happen. But it sounds like some here leave it in regardless. I would think you would be asking for trouble by making a point of leaving it in.
BD