PDA

View Full Version : Can a freeboard challenged boat make the trip to Catalina?

HotDogz
01-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Anyone ever made the trip in a lake rod?

Kilrtoy
01-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Sure if you are stupid and lucky, but it can be done.....

AirtimeLavey
01-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Why? :hammer2: :2purples:
First try going from Katherine's to Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave, about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. If you still have a boat, go for Catalina. :notam:

AirtimeLavey
01-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Why? :hammer2: :2purples:
First try going from Katherine's to Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave, about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. If you still have a boat, go for Catalina. :notam:
No. Don't. I'm bullsh..ig. Don't do either of my suggestions, you'll never make it, and I'd feel bad. :(

KACHINA KEN
01-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Anyone ever made the trip in a lake rod?
Nah man, but you can catch a ride with one of us in July when we do the Club Salty stuff (Catalina runs every weekend in July).

XtrmWakeborder
01-17-2005, 01:02 AM
No way, catch a ride with one of these big ballers.

Essexive G's
01-17-2005, 01:02 AM
I normally don't post unless I've been drinking, and tonight I've been drinking!
The first thing that came to mind when I read the title was DUMB ASS ! I backed down for a second and thought maybe you were a homeowner in La Conchita. So you need guidance cause common sense you're lacking. Here's what you do with a freeboard challenged boat, Go to a body of water, back down to the ramp, stop your tub just short of the water, you get out of your vehicle, walk into the water up to your knees, Stand there for 30 seconds. If your balls get wet from a wave coming in, get back in your vehicle, leave, and look for a smaller pond.
No payment is nessessary for advise given. Oh yeah one more thing. When you have your engine running while in the water, try to avoid having family and friends hang out behind your boat!

Kilrtoy
01-17-2005, 01:21 AM
I normally don't post unless I've been drinking, and tonight I've been drinking!
The first thing that came to mind when I read the title was DUMB ASS ! I backed down for a second and thought maybe you were a homeowner in La Conchita. So you need guidance cause common sense you're lacking. Here's what you do with a freeboard challenged boat, Go to a body of water, back down to the ramp, stop your tub just short of the water, you get out of your vehicle, walk into the water up to your knees, Stand there for 30 seconds. If your balls get wet from a wave coming in, get back in your vehicle, leave, and look for a smaller pond.
No payment is nessessary for advise given. Oh yeah one more thing. When you have your engine running while in the water, try to avoid having family and friends hang out behind your boat!
THAT THERE IS FUNNY

Havasu Hangin'
01-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Lots of guys make it with small boats. I know a guy who used to regularly make it in a 18' Searay (even blew the motor up halfway once). A few guys have gone over on PWCs.
If you watch the wave and swell reports, and head over in the morning, it can be smooth as glass. If it gets rough...it'll take awhile.
A bigger boat just means you can go faster when the water gets rougher.

RiverOtter
01-17-2005, 05:09 AM
LMAO!!

Kachina26
01-17-2005, 06:52 AM
You could have made it Saturday. But if you break (and it happens) you could get swamped. What the hell , go for it.

dicudmore
01-17-2005, 07:05 AM
how freeboard challenged we talking here?
They used to ski-race those Hallett Vectors and Schiada's etc over there at warp speeds....
Would I do it? UH UH :cool:

burtandnancy
01-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Depending on conditions, you can do it easily, but don't go alone. There are days (in the PM) I wouldn't come back in a 50 footer. Don't try for the Darwin Award.
Years ago, the Catalina Ski race was dominated by smaller boats, but you were surrounded by people who would help out in a crisis and they had sweepers at the end of the race. And NEVER try it in the fog...

moneypit
01-17-2005, 08:43 AM
ROTFLMAO

Lightning
01-17-2005, 08:48 AM
I saw a Mastercraft wakeboard boat over there once with about 8 people in it.....talk about ballsy. I would be reluctant to try it in anything shorter than 24'

dmontzsta
01-17-2005, 09:14 AM
I wouldnt put my boat in salt water. Just stick to the river or local lakes, might even be alot closer for you.

RiverDave
01-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Lee over at Schiada was telling me that every now and again if the conditions were right (Big Swells, but calm water) they would just flat lay the smack down on the ocean boat crowd during ski races. The big boats were flying from swell to swell, while a 21 with the plates down could stick to the water and go down and over them.
I think a 21' Schiada counts as a Lake Rod doesn't it?
RD

cola
01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Lee over at Schiada was telling me that every now and again if the conditions were right (Big Swells, but calm water) they would just flat lay the smack down on the ocean boat crowd during ski races. The big boats were flying from swell to swell, while a 21 with the plates down could stick to the water and go down and over them.
I think a 21' Schiada counts as a Lake Rod doesn't it?
RD
Here is a pic from Sat. of a Schiada, they were wakeboarding out in front of the harbor.
I know of a small Placecraft cat that showed up in Catalina last year when we were there. They came in from Oceanside, 60 miles one way & they didn't leave till 4:00. I heard they ran the last hour in the dark back home. They came with Faster Daddy & Starlones. ;)
Late, Mike
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/981catlaina6.jpg

Spotondl
01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
For years the Catalina Ski Race was dominated by flat bottom Hallett's and smaller v's like the Schiada's and Rayson's... As was mentioned earlier though it was an organized event and there were safety crews along the course... Would I try it in MY flat bottom? Hell no... but my flat was one of the ones that made that crossing back in the 70's so I know it can be done...
Skill, skill, skill, preparation, preparation, preparation, and a little balls... me thinks...

BUSTI
01-17-2005, 11:14 AM
RiverDave is right! For those of us that are real old we can remember when the Grand National Catalina Ski race was nothing but small boats. In 1972 (if my memory serves me right) my buddy and I towed my sister-in-law in 16 and over girls in the catalina race. My friends boat was a full on ski race 19' Schiada semi-v outfitted with a Casale v-drive. The boat was powered by a 482" BBC. The boat was built and by Len Schiada him self and the installation was performed by MAD DOG Ronnie Bolton and his father. I think Howard now has these molds and they were originally built to compete with Rudy Ramos' 20' Racing Craft in the GN races.
Well any way Just out side the break water the compass we had mounted on the dash busted into a million pieces! The Pacific gets real bi when you are in such a small boat let me tell ya. On the way back the ride was so violent that I split my elbow on the gunnel from bouncing out of the seat so much and I almost got pitched out every other roller. My ass got kiscked for sure. I was the observer. Well any way on the way back we hit fog and slowed to 45 maybe 50 mph and follwed the boat in front of us. When we broke through the fog we were lost along with 5 other boats and we round up off the Newport Beach Pier.
We got towed into Newport and had to wait 3 hours for our trailers to be be retrieved from Golden Shores. That race attempt kicked my ass and my kidneys have never been the same and never has my back! Regularly in the old days real men tried and successfully ran to Catalina in their small boats. Better men then me thats for sure. After that I didnt go to catalina for two years and since then have never been past the break water in any thing smaller than a 32' Sea Ray!
Don't do it if you you don't have to is my recommendation!

Hallett19
01-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I went out there for work a few years back and saw an 18ft Rayson Craft parked in the bay. Assuming he didnt live there, that is another situation of a little flattie making the trek. If the water is nice enough and you know where you are going and you dont mind your rig in salt water I'd say its a safe day trip, if you follow one of those catalina express boats you can probably have some nice flat water in front of you ! Make sure you have a radio incase you get stuck.

Ducatista
01-17-2005, 12:33 PM
We used a Four Winns 205 Sundowner Cudy for years going out there to dive, but its got decent freeboard for a 20ft boat. You just have to know the weather and swell conditions and have plenty of communication and saftey equipt, as well as a dependable boat. The wind can kick up in the afternoons making the ride back a "slow wet white knuckler" in a small boat. You also need a gps & compass and know how to use them in case of fog so you can get to where you are going, that can be scary out there. It can be done if you're carefull, but bigger is better and two of everything is good!

burtandnancy
01-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Glad there are some old timers on here. Heres a quick tale of a few of the Catalina's. I started out in '78 with what then was a big boat; a 32 Specta and pulled Chuck Steans. Our first year, he didn't train, and our observer pulled him a little too hard. Chuck threw the handles at the Queen Mary, the water refreshed him, and we came in second. The next year we won, but in 1:13.10. Won again at 1:01.10 with his wife Mary observing. Chuck retired (again) after 11 wins. I also decided to go back to small boats for the Catalina, so used a 21 Schiada. Set a one way record to the island, but we got beat by a big boat and finished second. A few more tries at the Catalina with 21 Schiada's and Raysons, but the big boats were the way to go. After that, we retired the Cask 'n Cleaver boats and went circle and marathon ski racing, but always with 21 footers. Todays big boats can easily match the speeds required to win the Catalina, but as a driver, nothings more fun than a 21 foot ski race boat with at least 1,000 hp and a skier who can go faster than your boat...

Havasu Cig
01-17-2005, 02:59 PM
I went out there for work a few years back and saw an 18ft Rayson Craft parked in the bay. Assuming he didnt live there, that is another situation of a little flattie making the trek. If the water is nice enough and you know where you are going and you dont mind your rig in salt water I'd say its a safe day trip, if you follow one of those catalina express boats you can probably have some nice flat water in front of you ! Make sure you have a radio incase you get stuck.
I would not get anywhere near the Catalina Express in a small boat. I was in a 42' Cig and we got rocked pretty good off the wake of that thing. ;)

FRENCHIE
01-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I would not get anywhere near the Catalina Express in a small boat. I was in a 42' Cig and we got rocked pretty good off the wake of that thing. ;)
but pretty good air im sure!!!! :wink: :)

SoCalOffshore
01-17-2005, 05:17 PM
I have done it a few times in my Schiada and never had a problem, but it is sure tough wake boarding behind mine. :messedup:

beer hunter
01-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Lots of guys make it with small boats. I know a guy who used to regularly make it in a 18' Searay (even blew the motor up halfway once). A few guys have gone over on PWCs.
If you watch the wave and swell reports, and head over in the morning, it can be smooth as glass. If it gets rough...it'll take awhile.
I've made the trip over (and back) in my first boat, a Searay 160 bow rider...16'er and the Yamaha Waverunner I took over was only 10 foot but nearly unsinkable. The problem is the wind can come up very quickly and a freeboard challenged boat will probably capsize in even moderate ocean wind chop.
I do think most performance boats in the 21' range (Eliminator, Advantage, Hallet etc.) could probably make the crossing without much difficulty, but is it really worth the risk of losing your boat if the wind comes up just to say you did it? :)

Brewzed
01-17-2005, 05:50 PM
I know a guy that did it in a 8' Addictor boat with a 35 HP outboard.
They came back at night with a Pep Boys compass.

ONOUDIDNT
01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
And I'm the jacka$$ that did it ;)
We left at 12 noon on a rare calm day, had a whole lotta beer, then started to head back, next thing you know we look back and the sun was gonzo... so we had to basically go the rest of the way to Dana Point by dead reckoning... an experience to live by. O ya, we never told anyone that we were going and it was the days of the old brickphones. Kinda like the t-mobile commercial with kid draggin behind the diesel truck.... I ain't gonna call!! I'm roaming!!!

Dawn Patrol
01-17-2005, 06:15 PM
I used to have a 19' Bayliner Open Bow. I took it to the Island at least 30 times. We would go fishing then on the way home, we would AirChair Back. You should of seen the looks of some of the people. This was about 15 years ago, no one ever seen an AirChair before. :rollside:

39MTI
01-17-2005, 06:55 PM
First off i wouldnt take advice from a dude who drives a 20ft skier boat, what the f$%k does he know 2nd i wouldnt listen to a guy who gets online only when hes drunk then insults you!!!! There are some good, smart folks on here but the first few replies aren't them. Alot of people, cause they go to lil lake havasu think they are Bob Teague but a guy like Bob Teague has more time in the floating shitter then they do in boats. and 3rd alot of posts does not equal alot of smarts!!!! but in answer to your question you could make it on any clear, very calm day but it would be wise to travel with someone that has alot of experience incase the shit goes bad!!! Dick Simon is an ace on catalina running!!! and very friendly to chat with. Good luck !!!

obnoxious001
01-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I have been attending Catalina ski races since the late 60's, when an 18 foot boat was large, and many were 16 and 17 ft. I was an employee at Gale Banks when Burt won the race pulling Chuck in 1979. If I am not wrong, Chuck even skied the race behind his own little 16 ft outboard at some point after 1979, in his trademark red shorts with white polka dots. In the small boats, the drivers and observers used to use pads on their elbows and other body parts that might contact a part of the boat. I personally have driven several boats to Catalina and back, pulling skiers for practice, and the largest was a 21 Schiada. We even took a 19ft Checkmate outboard over one time, two skies (one was me), leaving Long Beach at the late hour of 10:30am. Upon arriving at Avalon, we docked the boat for lunch, and started back to Long Beach well after noon, swapping the skiers for passengers, so that two other guys could ski back. That particular boat ride back was one of the worst ( I have been in some rough water in small boats) rides I have had. I think there were 4 or 5 of us in the boat, with 2 skiers. We did make it, but not for the faint of heart.
Another trip, in a 21ft outboard, one driver, one observer(me), and one very good skier, we got about 20 miles across and I noticed there was way too much water in the boat, considering the false floor, water was up around the back seat. A quick imspection of the ski locker revealed more water. We stopped the boat to get the skier inside and turn back to shore (remember, 20 miles out). I had brought my own life jacket, and of course the skier had his on, but none for the driver, no phone, no radio, no bailing bucket, and the bilge pump was not working. Pulling the back seat up on it's hinges, found a broken wire, the skier held that on battery. Trying to put the boat back on plane took a very long time, all the water was heavy. The bilge pump was not keeping up with the leak, and we had a tiny wrist compass ( I had been navigating backwards while I watched the skier) The driver kept pointing the boat to the south of Long Beach on the trip in. I tried to get him to run straight, to shorten the trip. Meanwhile, the skier reached over the transom while we were underway and pulled the drain plug(remember this for later). At this point, the water was draining slightly faster than it was coming in. We got back to the jetty after what seemed like an eternity, passed the patrol boat headed the other way while we were still on plane, pointing to the bottom of the boat and dumping water with a gatorade bottle. They allowed us to continue on plane. Getting close to the launch ramp, remembering the trailer was waaaay far from the ramp, we started to figure what to do with the boat if it filled with water without the drain being able to remove the extra water. Hmm, there was a shallow sandy beach directly across from the ramp, could beach it. Then, trying to replace the drain plug, the unthinkable happened, it fell into the water! Hmm, a wad of skiers tape ( used to protect ankles and skin from "binding rash") shoved into the drain hole from inside the boat. Dropping the driver to get the trailer, sitting with the bilge pump on, the water level actually dropped in the boat finally! Once the boat was on the trailer, we could see the bottom was split.
The moral of the stories: Small boats can certainly make the trip, but try and plan for smooth water, early in the day. Go fully prepared, safety gear, communications, bailing device(s). Make sure the boat is in great shape, know the compass headings, and maybe even plan a "practice trip",, just a few miles out and back one time. It gets real interesting out there when you can't see land either in front or in back of you.

77charger
01-17-2005, 07:05 PM
damn jeff i agree with you.I use to go all the time with my dad in so called production boat we use to go from dana point to the farnsworth bank then come around the front side to do some fishing.his boat was around 19ft going there was harder cause you were going into the swell coming back was vey easy even if it was slightly rough can always count on doing a whoping 35 coming back but going there 25 was avg.I have also been on another fishing boat that had little freeboard water was a lake all the way there coming back a little wet though but easily done.dont believe all the you need a big big boat to do it.many guys do it in 18ftrs every weekend we also had a gps,compass,vessel assist and marine radio(not the small handheld 5 watt but a fixed mount 25 watter and a good antenna)
Man i miss those days

LUVNLIFE
01-17-2005, 07:08 PM
When in doubt,,,,Gas it out :D :D
Seriously though it could be done. Planning, good weather and travel with another boat and people who know what's up. ;)

77charger
01-17-2005, 07:12 PM
First off i wouldnt take advice from a dude who drives a 20ft skier boat, what the f$%k does he know
I drive a20ft ski boat(my family boat) would you take advice from me?I also drove a 17ft 10" drag boat to 130mph with a few 110mph passes on the river but i guess since it is under size,do some of my own motor work,set up i dont know how to drive or know anyhthing about boats. :idea: :idea:

beer hunter
01-17-2005, 07:47 PM
First off i wouldnt take advice from a dude who drives a 20ft skier boat, what the f$%k does he know 2nd i wouldnt listen to a guy who gets online only when hes drunk then insults you!!!! There are some good, smart folks on here but the first few replies aren't them. Alot of people, cause they go to lil lake havasu think they are Bob Teague but a guy like Bob Teague has more time in the floating shitter then they do in boats. and 3rd alot of posts does not equal alot of smarts!!!!
Just jumping right in and makin' new friends huh?.....welcome to the boards ;) :D

beer hunter
01-17-2005, 07:53 PM
how freeboard challenged we talking here?
Dan, his sig reads "'75 Nordic 18.5ft 455 12JC-B" I personally wouldn't take this boat to Catalina. :hammerhea

AleAlchemist
01-17-2005, 07:56 PM
I know a college Grad! who tride to make it on a three person seedoo - Bombadire!

Havasu Hangin'
01-17-2005, 08:01 PM
I drive a20ft ski boat(my family boat) would you take advice from me?
No worries, Robert. I think he was talking about me. Come to think of it, I rarely take advice from myself...
...why should anyone else? :hammerhea

39MTI
01-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Just jumping right in and makin' new friends huh?.....welcome to the boards ;) :D
the guy asks a legit question and he gets hammered and insulted in the first replies , so hes not as good as a guy who drives a shockwave or a dude who posts only when he's drunk , sounds like people i want to be friends with , and 77 charger the question was addressed to the first few replies as it some what states in my post as far as taking advice from you,i dont know you if you came on and told me i would have to be stupid and lucky to take a free board challenged boat out ,i probabally wouldnt take advice from you would you? I dont know very many of the people on this forum i know a few of them and therye cool , but it seems the same 5 or 6 people just try to clown anyone who isnt runnin it hard in beaumont.

39MTI
01-17-2005, 08:06 PM
No worries, Robert. I think he was talking about me. Come to think of it, I rarely take advice from myself...
...why should anyone else? :hammerhea
not not talking about you havasuhangin, if its the right boat iv'e seen you out there but its been awhile did you do the scope run to catalina win matt alcone beat us all out there

beer hunter
01-17-2005, 08:17 PM
the guy asks a legit question and he gets hammered and insulted in the first replies , so hes not as good as a guy who drives a shockwave or a dude who posts only when he's drunk , sounds like people i want to be friends with , and 77 charger the question was addressed to the first few replies as it some what states in my post as far as taking advice from you,i dont know you if you came on and told me i would have to be stupid and lucky to take a free board challenged boat out ,i probabally wouldnt take advice from you would you? I dont know very many of the people on this forum i know a few of them and therye cool , but it seems the same 5 or 6 people just try to clown anyone who isnt runnin it hard in beaumont.
No worries dude, I'm just being a smart a$$ :cool:

Phat Matt
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
... but it seems the same 5 or 6 people just try to clown anyone who isnt runnin it hard in beaumont.
OK. What does Beaumont have to do with this?

77charger
01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
as long as you aint referring to the majority here who do drive 21 and under boats who are nice and respectable people here with good advice to offer as well as the guys who do drive the bigger boats also including hh(even though i have three strikes with him an eliminator,square subs,and plan on using 6 volt batts for my stereo :crossx: )LOL been here for a while myself and do get offended at some post that look like they are pointed towards me or similar so i defend myself.

You Te
01-17-2005, 08:25 PM
A flat bottom v-drive K boat can make the trip, a K boat can run in any kind of water, just ask the v-drive guy's.
You Te

beer hunter
01-17-2005, 08:29 PM
smart ass yes :D BUT YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING WHEN YOU GO OUT IN THE BIG LAKE :D i'v been with ya :smile:
Thanks T&B, and you definately know how to air-it-out in the Big Blue :D

upsman105
01-17-2005, 08:34 PM
They used to have jet ski races from Long Beach to Catalina and back, I did it once when I was into racing them, it was definatly a trip. The only thing that really scared the crap out of me was ideling in the bay, looking down and seeing something bigger than me swim by, I never did that race again. by the way I did get 3 out of 17 in my class.

39MTI
01-17-2005, 09:08 PM
as long as you aint referring to the majority here who do drive 21 and under boats who are nice and respectable people here with good advice to offer as well as the guys who do drive the bigger boats also including hh(even though i have three strikes with him an eliminator,square subs,and plan on using 6 volt batts for my stereo :crossx: )LOL been here for a while myself and do get offended at some post that look like they are pointed towards me or similar so i defend myself.
21 and under heck we dont even have a boat anymore id belong in the 0 and under, we decided to pursue other racing endeavours and some family members are currently trying to open a motorsports complex based on the old riverside raceway and run nextel and cart races. and as far as beaumont goes hell where is beaumont? i got no issues with beaumont . dont even know u guys , but i did make a statement as to u guys runnin it hard so ill tell you what if need be ill back my talk up and we can race from long beach to catalina since thats what this is kinda all about. we still have some motors in a boat i can use. by the way did you guys see the WBR suzuki rig at the anaheim supercross cool huh that use to be the old montano/hartman rig (drambuie on ice ,bacardi silver) for those who dont know what a change huh???? take it easy guys

dicudmore
01-17-2005, 09:26 PM
along time go TOBTEK'S dad used to go to the cornado islands (corect me if i wrong tobtek)in a 18' alu/boat,out of san deigo over night trips :cool:
my dad used to go over in a 15' Glaspar but I wouldn't do it....

dicudmore
01-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Dan, his sig reads "'75 Nordic 18.5ft 455 12JC-B" I personally wouldn't take this boat to Catalina. :hammerhea
i was hoping he was referring to some other boat. i wouldn't take that either...

Family4Day
01-18-2005, 10:53 AM
We take our 21'(big 21)Lavey out in the breakwater and out a little ways, but usually stay inside, hit the Yard House and cruise thru the Huntington Keys. We have thought about heading over when conditions are right(with weather, another boat,etc.). Every weekend that you guys have made the trips lately I've been on duty. Our Last trip in November, we stayed in our safe zone inside the breakwater and met some people in an Advantage that had just come back. Boat was no bigger than ours, but sure made me feel small for not going. If conditions were right, I would like to. But I think many people don't plan for an emergency. Like everyone mentioned, GPS, VHF radio, phone numbers for coast gaurd, life jackets easily accessable, etc, and many more things are important to have in place before hand. The common sense to know if you are experienced enough to handle that trip is number one. If you guys have another trip coming up before the river season, please post, I'd atleast like to plan on trying the trip!
Todd

beer hunter
01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Just an additional note*
In addition to having all the proper safety equipment onboard, it is a good idea to leave a float plan with a responsible person who can notify the CG, harbor patrol etc if you don't contact them before a predetermined time. :)
A float plan should include the following information at a minimum:
• The vessel name including registration numbers.
• The vessel description, (type, color, length...)
• The point of departure (harbor / marina)
• The route to be taken.
• Destination
• Estimated time of arrival (ETA)
• Number of persons onboard (including their names and phone numbers)
• Safety equipment onboard
• Communications equipment, including radio frequencies to be monitored and cellular numbers.

got boltons?
01-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Everyone running out to catalina has deep v's. Have any of you seen people making the run in a cat. I'd love to make that run someday but not sure in a cat, especially an open bow.

beer hunter
01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Everyone running out to catalina has deep v's. Have any of you seen people making the run in a cat. I'd love to make that run someday but not sure in a cat, especially an open bow.
How big of a cat? :)

got boltons?
01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
How big of a cat? :)
28' ....Great for Havasu, I didnt buy it for the ocean but seeing the catalina trip pics makes me want to go

Craig
01-19-2005, 06:48 AM
As some foks have mentioned they used to used little flatbottoms for the ski races. Back then they did it in two days, just in the morning over and morning back. Here's a pic of Donnies Dads boat in the harbor, or dare I say, almost under the harbor;
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/DonDad/Ddad10.jpg
Here's a link to another pic and the short story is about half way down on the page :smile: ski boat (http://www.justanothertoy.com/donniedad.htm)
Craig

68campbell
01-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I've made the trip in my 20' Schiada about 20-30 times practicing for the Catalina ski race.

RiverDave
01-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I've made the trip in my 20' Schiada about 20-30 times practicing for the Catalina ski race.
Now there's a name we haven't seen around here in awhile!! How the hell have you been? Are we actually going to hook up for beers in Parker this summer? Or are you going to be to busy driving around in circles in that new race car of yours.. :D
RD

68campbell
01-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Dave, I am definately going to make it to the river more this year. I actually have all the boats but 1 running and due to the fact I've been all over the southwest going to horse shows with my wife I have a bunch of me trip time accrued.

RiverDave
01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Dave, I am definately going to make it to the river more this year. I actually have all the boats but 1 running and due to the fact I've been all over the southwest going to horse shows with my wife I have a bunch of me trip time accrued.
Did you ever sell that 68 Campbell?
RD

68campbell
01-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Its sold and living in colorado, still got my 64 patterson though

RiverDave
01-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Its sold and living in colorado, still got my 64 patterson though
That Campbell was a good looking boat for sure.. :) House the race car dealio treating you?
RD

68campbell
01-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I've learned I'm a lot better racecar driver than boat mechanic. I got several top 5's and a feature win last season. It amazing how the sponsors throw money at you when your a rookie and you win. Had enough to build a new and faster car for this season. Check out the site listed below.