PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex

harleypauls
01-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Anyone have or use the Bowflex. I know it is expensive throught the TV commercials, but Sam's Club has one for $798.00, and I have been thinking of getting one so I can get back in shape for the summer boating season....ie.....lose the beer belly so I look better in my spedo!!!J/K :cool: :rollside:

ratso
01-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Anyone have or use the Bowflex. I know it is expensive throught the TV commercials, but Sam's Club has one for $798.00, and I have been thinking of getting one so I can get back in shape for the summer boating season....ie.....lose the beer belly so I look better in my spedo!!!J/K :cool: :rollside:
I never liked the bowflex, and never could stay motivated enough working out at home. Personally I like the gym best.

Doug H.
01-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Im with you on that one Ratso !!! :cool:

HOOTER SLED-
01-17-2005, 03:23 PM
If you're looking to tone up. Resistance machine like those work fine. Hit the free weights if you wanna get your yolk on.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_128.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm79987US')
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_136.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm79987US')
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_126.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm79987US')
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_106v.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm79987US')
YOU CAN DO IT!!! :D

Tom Brown
01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
A good friend of mine has one and I've used it a few times. They are built well, but not as good as professional gear. Still, they are much better quality than the low end machines you might find at a department store.
Personally, I much prefer free weights so that's the way I went. My friend much prefers his Bowflex and couldn't be happier with it. I think he spent about $2500 CDN on it.
In terms of value, whatever gets you exercising and improving your health will provide the best value.
One thing about the Bowflex is that it takes up way more room than it looks like it does. Everything you need for strength training is pretty much there, though. At least, it is on the model my friend has.
As far as cost, you can get a great workout with a decent bench and free weights but if you price out what a quality bench, weight rack, and series of weights is going to cost you, the Bowflex isn't that much more.
... so it comes down to personal preference, IMO. :cool:
Oh yeah... I agree with Ratso on the gym deal. Up here in Canada, we can't do cardio work outside much of the year so it's pretty much down to machines. That's where the cost of a gym membership is pennies on the dollar compared to what you'd spend on a couple of machines like a decent eliptical trainer or tred mill.
Also, when you go to the gym, there are plenty of spandex clad chicks to look at. Of course, Ratso has probably screwed all of them at some point in time.

ROZ
01-17-2005, 03:25 PM
I have been considering a Bowflex or some alternative. I have a gym membership. I used it pretty regular for years and can see the points against the home gym. Unfortunatly, with a 10 and 4 year old at home with me full time, going to the gym more often that once every 2 weeks isn't going to happen.
So, back to the topic. Who has a bowflex and what do you think? The ultimate bad-mamajama is like 2k. Start removing attachment and it drops from there.
Forensic
I want to know about the bowflex as well. No time for a gym membership with a kid... I see it folds up; I can put it up when I have company stayingin the back room...Atleast I can be an inshape skinny mofo :D

phebus
01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
I use the Beer Flex. I have really been into body building, because boy is my body building. I need to get back to the gym, I bet I've gained close to 10 lbs. since summer!! :D

harleypauls
01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I agree with the gym membership if you have older kids or none at all, but I have 2 little ones at home with us, and I can't find the time to drive to the gym, work out, and drive back home. i feel that a home gym will be better for me in the long run. I think the Bowflex offers more capabilities for both me and my wife on getting into better shape. Although the skantily clad chick at the gym would be nice to watch.
Paul :2purples:

ECeptor
01-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I've used a Soloflex before and hated it. A membership to the gym works best for my family.
But, if I had $800 to spend on something for home I'd get a decent used bench that could incline and a set of dumbells. If I had any money left over I'd get a flat bar for the bench and start adding weights to my set.

Tom Brown
01-17-2005, 03:53 PM
if I had $800 to spend on something for home I'd get a decent used bench that could incline and a set of dumbells.
That's the route I went but you can get a pretty good bench for $150 new and unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger, you can get a pretty good workout with a dumbbell set that ranges from 10 to 50 lbs. From there, you add weight as you need it. It will cost a lot less than 800 bucks for excellent quality gear.

HOOTER SLED-
01-17-2005, 03:54 PM
$800 could get you alot in free weights and a bench etc....

FLOJO
01-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Make sure whatever you get looks good hanging your colthes on it.

ratso
01-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Make sure whatever you get looks good hanging your colthes on it.
LMAO! I can't count how many homes I've been in and that is EXACTLY what their equipment is used for.

Lightning
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I used to have one and personally I did not like it too much, it just awkward and annoying. You never really felt like you could get a complete workout. If I was to do it over, for a home gym - I would buy a decent bench (no bar) that I could change from flat to incline and set of dumbells. It would cost about the same or less and be just as effective. I like the dumbells that stack and have the weight adjustability - bowflex makes a set of these.
http://www.nautilus.com/media/products/Bowflex/Detail/bfx_700000.main_det_v1_m56577569830479356.jpg

Propchecker
01-17-2005, 04:31 PM
There's usually good deals on bowflex machines and home gyms/free weights in the classified ads. Let the guy who thought he was going to use it take the depreciation hit. The one guy I know with a bowflex is lazy and wouldn't use it even if it serviced him afterwards. I tried it but I think you need to mix in free weights.

Mandelon
01-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Just leave early and go to the gym on your way to work. I have a pretty decent home gym set up. Bench, dumbells, a machine with pull down and pushbar, as well as a dipping station dealio. I used it but not consistently enough.
Now I get up early M-W-F and hit the gym for an hour or so. I shower up there and go straight to work. So far, its way more effective for me. I throw some Yogurt, ice, milk, OJ, berries and a banana into the blender and make shake for breakfast, and drink it on the way.
T-Th and Sat go for a walk or run in the morning. Take the kids if you can for some together time...

Ziggy
01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Geez Mandy,
Now that you are into the next age group you follow the same workout routine as us older guys :wink: :D
Seems like someone named Ahron(sp?) might suggest the gym instead of a bowflex. Just don't ask him to help ya :hammerhea :p
Go with a gym membership, I've done it both ways and its WAY easier to stay motivated when around others with the same goals. :)

VEGASBABY
01-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Save your cash, your better off buying a nice set of free weights! Ive used one didnt like it! Just my opinion!

JustMVG
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I want to know about the bowflex as well. No time for a gym membership with a kid... I see it folds up; I can put it up when I have company stayingin the back room...Atleast I can be an inshape skinny mofo :D
Bastard!!! you skinny mofo!!! Being a FatFudge myself, i need to work out more than my food shoveling hand, and, my yes you can take my order mouth, gotta be in shape, but Mike round IS a shape!!! i want to be more like a skinny rat bastard than a fatfu*k which is what i resemble these days. :D :D MVG

Mandelon
01-17-2005, 05:48 PM
I think the gym works out to be a better deal. What is it, $30 a month? For a decent set up at home you 'd pay a couple of years worth of dues belonging to the gym.
Plus you can quit if you don't do it. That's better than a $600 towel rack, gathering dust in the garage. And it sits there, mocking you, reminding you that you have no willpower and are fat and lazy. F*cking towel rack, you think.
I know if I am paying that $30 bucks, I am damn well going to go down there and get my money's worth.
And last but not least, how many hotties are exercising next to you in your garage.....maybe one.....if you're lucky. The gym has many different ones to choose from. There are some less than hotties, but at least they are trying....just like us. :D

SHOTKALLIN
01-17-2005, 06:10 PM
I have been considering a Bowflex or some alternative. I have a gym membership. I used it pretty regular for years and can see the points against the home gym. Unfortunatly, with a 10 and 4 year old at home with me full time, going to the gym more often that once every 2 weeks isn't going to happen.
So, back to the topic. Who has a bowflex and what do you think? The ultimate bad-mamajama is like 2k. Start removing attachment and it drops from there.
Forensic
Bow flex will never get you looking like the guy in the comercial. He has had years of professional training with free weights and diet to look that way. Youd be better off with dips, push ups, pull ups, sit ups/cruches and cardio. There are no more free weights in Jail but the inmates are still huge. Get yourself a dip/pull up station and save yourself tons of dough. Just my .02