PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch

carreraelite
01-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Looking to see if anyone knows where I can wire in a kill switch on a '04 Dodge 3500 diesel. In the past I have done gas engines,but not a diesel.

carreraelite
01-20-2005, 08:22 PM
No ideas?? :confused:

Jordy
01-20-2005, 09:06 PM
There has to be a hot ignition lead running off the column to the injection pump solenoid. That would be the one I'd look for. I had one in my old Chevy diesel. It interupted the hot lead to the pump. It would crank over all day long but never fire with this switch off. The other possibility would be to put the switch on the crank lead to the starter solenoid. Then you turn the key and nothing happens. Either one should work fine.

Moneypitt
01-20-2005, 09:13 PM
The only thing I could GUESS would be the fuel suppy. And how to do that is a mystery, so I'm guessing. Does it have an in tank fuel pump? When you turn it off, what are you turning off? The fuel supply? So maybe you could install a hidden toggle to cut the power to what ever the key supplies power to. I hope this makes some sort of sense and doesn't get any "smoking crack" responses..........MP

Jordy
01-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Actually, you wouldn't want to cut the lift pump power. Some diesels can run without them, not great but they run. On the downside of that, everytime you forgot about the switch and went to start it, it would run for a second, until it ran out of fuel in the injection pump bowl and suction line, and then would airlock. You'd learn the abc's of priming that truck.
My choice would be the power to the cutoff solenoid. ;)

Jordy
01-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Oh yeah, MP, put the crack pipe down. :D :D :D