PDA

View Full Version : Newport Christmas light show.

cdog
12-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Is it worth it? I was thinking about going out Sat. Mabey early.. Around 1-2pm. Will it be real crouded? I'm just jones'in to get the boat in the water.

Waldo
12-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Is it worth it? I was thinking about going out Sat. Mabey early.. Around 1-2pm. Will it be real crouded? I'm just jones'in to get the boat in the water.
If you are thinking of running your boat in the parade...that is very fun. It's crowded but managable. We've been on a 65 footer in the parade and it's a different perspective. Make sure you are plenty warm and you have plenty of libations.
We go every year and sit on the shore next to my mom's place. Her husband has a 40 footer but he is kind of "Grinchy" so no go on the boat. However, the light show is great and the kids love it!!!
We will be there around 5-ish and parking isn't too awful :mad:

Midlife Advantage
12-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Its a lotta fun, ya just gotta bundle up, bring the hot chocolate and schnapps, and get a good position to watch from. We used to launch every year at around 5 and just go out to a point where the parade goes by in 2 directions and drop rock. it helps to have a porta potti on board, but you can always go to a restaurant somewhere for that. Go on line to the OC Chamber of Commerce and theres a link there to get info on the parade. Some years its not cold at all, some years its nasty, but go prepared and tell the women to bring gloves, scarves and friggin heavy socks!
You will be amazed at the money people spend decorating their....ships.

cdog
12-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys. I think we'll do it. This is probably our last year here in OC so Y not. I'm gonna launch around noon. I hope I have enough anchor line.

Havasu Hangin'
12-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Thanks guys. I think we'll do it. This is probably our last year here in OC so Y not. I'm gonna launch around noon. I hope I have enough anchor line.
The bay is not really that deep.