PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive question?

Tremor Therapy
04-20-2006, 07:02 AM
I have an outdrive question....
I am looking at a '99 Shockwave Tremor that has a 540, and the original bravo 1 outdrive. The previous owner informed me that his previous motor on this drive was a Whippled 502, but that he always ran the boat up to 2800 rpm's before he cut it loose.
So the question....what upgrades are available for this drive, or should I just cut bait and try to find an XR out there somewhere in the world? I have a little bit of knowledge when it comes to jets, but outdrives and I are oil and water, so any help would be appreciated!

Whipped Caliber
04-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Call Max Machine Worx and upgrade (928) 505-7860 let him know I send you
Mark aka: Whipped Caliber

Kilrtoy
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Was that boat featured in HB magazine a few years back,
if sooooooooo :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

cdog
04-20-2006, 07:24 AM
plan on the XR. That drive won't last long.

Dave C
04-20-2006, 07:27 AM
drive that b1 until you grenade it. If you are very very very easy out of the hole (i.e. until it planes AND the prop releases) you might be surprised how long it lasts. I have seen them last. But if you are hard on the equipment like the rest of us here, it won't last very long. :crossx: It depends on the driver.
When you do have to upgrade, deep six the B1 and get an XR. I wouldn't waste any $$ on an upgrade to the B1. The XR's have bigger gears and shafts.
I like the max worx XR or a regular XR, either way thats all you can do.
I will probably get a max worx next time around.

C-2
04-20-2006, 07:45 AM
I know somebody with a "used" (brand new, never mounted) Teague Platinum drive for sale, $5500. It has the brushed lower case, 1.36, but you can trade those gears out for 1.50. That's a smoking deal and he won't budge on the price, the drive is over at Rob Clarks/Quality Performance in Corona.
----
Otherwise, if you run it like the guy did before, why do you think you'll break it?

scarabrick2
04-20-2006, 07:49 AM
My bro had a bravo 1 (28p) behind a 502 whipple (270 hallett) and the unit lasted fine. Just took it off after 300 hours of use and put on a new XR. he got a great price on the XR and the kit you NEED to install it. I think the kit is only around $100. You will need the trim rams torn down and have spacers put in. While your there go ahead and have the rams rebuilt(o-rings). go have a certified shop do the work. Oh ,you WILL need to have a NEW hub ($120 +/- ) for your bravo prop as the XR prop shaft is larger in DIA. If you want PM me and I'll find the place where he got the new drive. Searched around for months and this place was the best price and NO BS.
Rick

Beer-30
04-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Here's a stock B-1 behind a blower motor for it's fourth season. Sure, it's gonna go at some point.
http://www.pro-system.com/assaultshow.html