PDA

View Full Version : egine kill leashes/tethers

nodigg
01-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Just curious how many of your have/use your leashes all the time? I did not order one on my boat but it came with one and I used it from the start and it adds a lot of comfort to my ride in doing so. I have heard so many stories of people being thrown out even at low speeds where they would have been fine if the boat engine had been killed once the driver was ejected. NOT trying to preach here, just curious how others feel is all.

BarryMac
01-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't have one and my boat has a hand throttle, strange for a jet boat. I spoke with my wife about this today after telling her of the accident in Parker, told her that we are getting one installed, better to be safe than sorry...

H20Advantage
01-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I have one in my current boat and only used it in bad weather and poker runs. Just shot an email to Ed at Advantage to make sure one is installed in my boat being built right now. Not the first time I've heard of this type of misfortunate accident.

djunkie
01-22-2005, 05:12 PM
I don't have one but I am thinking about getting one now. Any recomendations as to which one to get and where to get it.

ahhell
01-22-2005, 05:15 PM
i fall out, my foot comes off the throtle, my boat circles around to pick me up...wait thats a jet ski a jet anyway

nodigg
01-22-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't know about where to get one but it must be pretty common in the boat shops. I am surprised at how many of us have them and only use them when it is rough or we are going faster. Kinda like getting people on board with seat belts I guess. Takes some time to convince people of the need maybe.

Sleek-Jet
01-22-2005, 05:17 PM
After the accidents and such over the last year, I will start using one as well as having everyone strap a vest on when I'm going fast enough for the boat to be up on plane...

H20Advantage
01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Looks like Arkansas already made it a law:
Don't forget about new boat kill switch law
LITTLE ROCK – Summertime boating is an Arkansas tradition. During this long, hot summer it is imperative that all boaters exercise common sense and responsibility while enjoying the Natural State’s rivers, lakes and streams.
Being aware of the new boating laws is one of the best ways to ensure fun and safety on the water, according to Arkansas Game and Fish Commission boating education program coordinator Bob Cushing.
“The most recent law passed by the Arkansas legislative session, that goes into effect on July 16, is the kill switch law. This law requires a lanyard type cut off switch be attached to the motorboat operator if the boat is equipped with this feature,” Cushing said.
“If a boat operator is thrown from his/her motorboat, it just makes good sense that they would want the motor to shut off to prevent the boat from running them over, or to prevent the boat from running out of control. Our accident reports show that this has been the case many times in the past,” he emphasized.
“With this law, the operator must have the lanyard attached to his/her clothing or flotation device while the boat is moving five miles per hour or faster. This law does not apply to houseboats or pontoon boats. It also does not apply to flat bottom boats operated on the state’s trout tailwaters or duck hunting boats during duck season,” he pointed out.
Another law currently in effect that boaters should be keenly aware of is the glass container law. “This law makes it illegal for any unstable vessel to have any type of glass container on it,” Cushing said.
“There is not a specific boat size attached to this law, but the law does however apply to canoes, kayaks and inner tubes. This law is essential because it prevents broken glass from ending up on the bottom and on the banks of our waterways,” he explained.
“Boaters should call the AGFC at 501-223-6379 any time they have a question about a boating law,” Cushing added. “The AGFC also has the Arkansas boating laws and responsibilities handbook available to any one that would like to have one,” he added. The new boating laws are available at the AGFC web site at http://www.agfc.com/rules_regs/boating_regs.html.

Jbb
01-22-2005, 06:10 PM
When I had my jet...every time...

Parker Dreamin
01-22-2005, 06:12 PM
We have one on the boat but dont use it...... BUT will be using it now.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-22-2005, 06:13 PM
ALWAYS !!!!! :hammerhea
I mounted it down low on the starboard side and have a velcro strap on my ankle. That way it doesn't get caught around the steering wheel and I can move around a bit.
CJG
:wink:

Dribble
01-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I think I'll be using it more from now on.

al cole'holic
01-22-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't have one but it will be on the list for purchase...never dawned on me, even though in Tahoe about 2 years ago I was messin around at a pretty good speed and caught a parallel wake wrong and was literally thrown from the drivers seat onto my passengers lap..looked over at the throttle still wide open, we thought it was kinda funny at the time but damn thats how shiat happens :frown:

Itsahobby
01-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I'll have one in before the season starts.
Hobby

Havasu Hangin'
01-22-2005, 06:34 PM
They take some getting used to. Nothing like idling up to the docks, reaching over to get a rope...and killing the engine. :supp:
Still...always a good idea above wakeless speeds.

Boatcop
01-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Here's a great idea!
Everyone get a kill switch installed and hook it up to the PFD you're wearing.

shueman
01-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Should not a Kill Switch be MANDATORY on a high performance marine vessel..???

NORDIC_RIG
01-22-2005, 07:24 PM
we install them on all nordics . attaching them to you is a good habit to get into .
just like seat belts i guess .
cya mike

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-22-2005, 07:25 PM
I honestly didn't even know they made them for boats until reading that sad thread yesterday. Our boat is too old. . . I mean classic :cool: , and I don't think I've ever seen or at least noticed one in use. Don't know if we'll get one or not. I'll have to talk to the Mr. when he gets home from Jeep buildin'.

Holland
01-22-2005, 07:25 PM
My old one did not have one... But the new one does... I feel even better about it now espically after the recent incident. It is horrible to have to learn from other peoples misfortunes...

Boatcop
01-22-2005, 07:46 PM
They're real easy to retrofit into any boat. Just wire it in line with the main ignition wire from the key and you're all set.

dmontzsta
01-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Dont even have one, but seriously considering one. What is the price? and where do you buy them?

Wicky
01-22-2005, 07:56 PM
I've hooked my Allison at 90 mph.
I was very happy I had the tether on(my lifejacket!!).
Plenty of pain. The jacket protects the ribs. If you don't have a tether hopefully you have a foot throttle.
Mow,
Wicky

Boatcop
01-22-2005, 07:57 PM
$23 bucks at West Marine.
Cut out switch with lanyard! (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=59638&catalogId=10001&classNum=294&subdeptNum=124&storeNum=9)
Any marine shop should have them.

dmontzsta
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Sweet, they just opened a new West Marine by my house and there is a HUGE one by my work, that is going on the boat before the next trip.

shueman
I honestly didn't even know they made them for boats until reading that sad thread yesterday. Our boat is too old. . . I mean classic :cool: , and I don't think I've ever seen or at least noticed one in use. Don't know if we'll get one or not. I'll have to talk to the Mr. when he gets home from Jeep buildin'.
Does your "classic" have a foot throttle? That works like a kill swith when your foot comes off....my jet has hand throttles, but they are spring loaded to slide back to idle when you release them, and I can adjust that tension.... :smile:

Squirtin Thunder
Dont even have one, but seriously considering one. What is the price? and where do you buy them?
Rex marine has them
also
CP Performance
I will be installing one on my Sanger Sprint Jet to be NJBA legal,
But I will be installing one on the Sanger Super Jet just because !!!!
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
01-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Does your "classic" have a foot throttle? That works like a kill swith when your foot comes off....my jet has hand throttles, but they are spring loaded to slide back to idle when you release them, and I can adjust that tension.... :smile:
Cables Break, screws fall out, throttles stick open !!! An extra return spring and a kill switch are very good insurance.
Jim

Rexone
01-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Rex marine has them
Yes we do. (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=killswitches)
Not on site index yet but will be shortly.
Also will be adding the Cole Hersee style soon.

Jrocket
01-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Ive got a foot throttle but a lanyard wouldnt hurt.

shueman
01-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Ive got a foot throttle but a lanyard wouldnt hurt.
Point Taken...and yes, things can go mechanically wrong...

purrfecttremor
01-22-2005, 09:31 PM
never used it once.i will use it for now on.i think thats why i have one. :hammer2: :hammer2:

Kilrtoy
01-22-2005, 09:42 PM
I am amazed at how many people dont use them, I thought it was standard practice.......

Squirtin Thunder
01-22-2005, 09:54 PM
I am amazed at how many people dont use them, I thought it was standard practice.......
I am not even putting the boat in the water now till I have one. Dammmm now I am scared !!! I keep thinking about it !!!
Jim

Rexone
01-22-2005, 10:52 PM
I am not even putting the boat in the water now till I have one. Dammmm now I am scared !!! I keep thinking about it !!!
Jim
Shit happens.
Usually when you least expect it to and not alway going fast or on the edge. :frown:
And sometimes avoiding something / someone else in front of you at the last minute.
Kill switches and lifelines are a great idea. So are helmets but I never see any wear them hardly. The old mellon don't bounce off the deck too good even at 40, much less 80-160. I see guys in Lifelines but no helmet quite often going well in the 100 up range. All it takes is one mistake or mech. failure, hit your head in the boat or on the way out, you're done...oatmeal brain. It amazes me how peeps take the smooth rides of the fast cats at 120+ as being safe without safety gear. I'm surprised and glad at the same time we don't hear of more people getting hurt / killed from head injury.

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Should not a Kill Switch be MANDATORY on a high performance marine vessel..???
that one I have to say YAY to, if your boat can really get it on, you have a higher chance of having a mishap. I know that there is always a chance of accidents at lower speeds, but the higher the higher, right? Its all probabilities and statistics.

Hallett
01-23-2005, 12:13 AM
VERY WELL SAID MIKE. :wink:

Bre
01-23-2005, 12:14 AM
I think I am gonna make a zebra or leopard one for our boat....anyone else want one? :D

HOOTER SLED-
01-23-2005, 12:15 AM
I think I am gonna make a zebra or leopard one for our boat....anyone else want one? :D
MEEEOWWWWW. :D

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah, and wrap it around the pole once :D

HOOTER SLED-
01-23-2005, 12:21 AM
The same thing can be said about condoms.

Squirtin Thunder
01-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Shit happens.
Usually when you least expect it to and not alway going fast or on the edge. :frown:
And sometimes avoiding something / someone else in front of you at the last minute.
Kill switches and lifelines are a great idea. So are helmets but I never see any wear them hardly. The old mellon don't bounce off the deck too good even at 40, much less 80-160. I see guys in Lifelines but no helmet quite often going well in the 100 up range. All it takes is one mistake or mech. failure, hit your head in the boat or on the way out, you're done...oatmeal brain. It amazes me how peeps take the smooth rides of the fast cats at 120+ as being safe without safety gear. I'm surprised and glad at the same time we don't hear of more people getting hurt / killed from head injury.
And my brain is not in the best shape I need all the protection I can get.
Jim

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 12:49 AM
The same thing can be said about condoms.
yeah, like wounded lions, you don't fu** with them!

Bre
01-23-2005, 12:50 AM
yeah, like wounded lions, you don't fu** with them!
:p

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 12:53 AM
:p
HEEHEE! I knew I'd get your attention with that one! are you ready for your spanking?

Bre
01-23-2005, 12:56 AM
HEEHEE! I knew I'd get your attention with that one! are you ready for your spanking?
I have been waiting all night :sleeping:

HOOTER SLED-
01-23-2005, 12:58 AM
DIZAMMMM :sqeyes:

Midlife Advantage
01-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Andy must be asleep again!

Tahiti350
01-23-2005, 03:33 AM
Don't have one now, but will before summer is here. I still have the hand throttle, and have been thinking all day about what could happen if I went out at 60+ and the boat kept going.... I like the idea of an ankle strap. Would the lanyard/switch be the same as a quad or sno-machine? If so they are as near as the closest scooter shop.

Tahiti350
01-23-2005, 03:41 AM
Dam, I should have read both pages before replying. I'm stuck in the middle between Bre and Midlife Advantage (wow!!).

DansBlown73Nordic
01-23-2005, 04:01 AM
I run a 100+ m.p.h. snowmobile and I never wear it because in the past I have stopped to talk to a friend and when I walked away from my machine it shut off. I guess I will re think my habits. I will also install them in all my boats.
I remember when I was a kid on the St. Lawrence river a guy was thrown from a boat. [he was drunk] The boat kept going in a circle. He got hit with the prop. If I remember correctly it took a huge chunk out of his shoulder.
They ended up getting another boat beside the out of control one and jumping from one boat to another.

beer hunter
01-23-2005, 06:39 AM
I don't usually wear mine except when going very fast and/or in rough water. From now on I'll be "plugged in" when on plane.
The summer before last I was at Lake Powell with my family and other friends and their boats. We were up in Navajo Canyon and I had just stopped the boat and started getting in the water (one kid had already jump in off the back) when my friend in his 27' express cruiser (heavy boat!) made a sharp turn at low speed. He caught a chine which caused the boat to stand up in the turn and he was thrown to the port side of his boat. The boat was heading straight for us and had he not been wearing his lanyard, there is no way he could have avoided tee-boning us. That lanyard saved my boat and quite possibly my life. :jawdrop:

phebus
01-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Unfortunately, most of us boat owners are like teenagers. "We are invinceable, and nothing can hurt us. Theese accidents only happen to inexperienced boaters."
As tragic as recent events are, hopefully it will open some eye's and make us realize the importance of safety items, and the need for sober boat operators. (and no, my comments don't refer to any accidents that have happened, just a comment on boat operation in general)

sneauxcone
01-23-2005, 08:40 AM
I"m with everyone else on this it seems. Voted no on the poll, I"ve only worn mine once, when going fast. Recent events are definitely a reality check and this summer it is definitely going on.

Bre
01-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Andy must be asleep again!
Yes he was :sleeping: :D

wsuwrhr
01-23-2005, 08:59 AM
I will be running one in my boat this season.
The Hondo I bought has an ignition kill teather in it already. I immediately thought it is a good idea.
I will install one in the Anthony as well.
Brian

Kilrtoy
01-23-2005, 10:24 AM
I keep reading when going fast,
when the water is ruff,
people really need to rethink their ways of boating.....
most accidents happen at slow speeds

switchin'addiction
01-23-2005, 10:27 AM
It was harder for me to get used to wearing a seat belt than using my lanyard. Everytime I get in the boat I use it!!

phebus
01-23-2005, 10:29 AM
O.K. I'm an honest realist. I never used it before, and now, there may be times I wear it.

76BARRON
01-23-2005, 10:42 AM
My boat won't run with out it........it's hooked to lifeline jacket
no jacket=no kill switch=no boating!

nodigg
01-23-2005, 09:03 PM
I keep reading when going fast,
when the water is ruff,
people really need to rethink their ways of boating.....
most accidents happen at slow speeds
I have to agree Kilr, accidents happen at all speeds.

BajaMike
01-23-2005, 09:25 PM
My boat came with one and it seems I only wear it when I'm by myself or going real fast...which doesn't really make sense.
The first week I had my boat, I was running up to the sandbar (following Nodigg) and unknowingly knocked it off...boat died out and I didn't know what happened, till I saw it sitting on the floor.
I'll probably wear it now all the time.
:rollside:

Kim Hanson
01-23-2005, 09:34 PM
I have foot pedals in both boats, whacker has the kill also! V-drive still worrys me with no kill. Im going to install one, that thing will keep on going with know one in the boat, not fast...idiling..but still enough to do damage......( . )( . )..........

checkster
01-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Most all PDFs have a cool little ring made just for this reason....I use a short tether so if I start screwing around instead of driving the boat..... :eek: bang.....it gets quiet and all are safe...... :smile:

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Current boat does not have one installed, but that will change shortly.

dicudmore
01-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Current boat does not have one installed, but that will change shortly.
echo that....its on the add list

BIGCHRIS
01-24-2005, 08:31 AM
I have one in the tool box,it will be on the boat before i go riding again.Also im going to put my life jacket on when i know im going to hang it out there :hammer2:

Jen
01-24-2005, 08:42 AM
In light of recent events, and in the intrest of our fellow boaters being as safe as possible. We here at Liberty Performance Marine will install a kill switch in any boat FREE with any service, Without service we will take 20% off parts and labor on the installation of a kill switch in any boat. On most boats this can be done in just an hour or two, just stop in on your way to the launch ramp!!
Jennifer Lemmon
Liberty Performance Marine
1555 Countryshire Ave
Lake Havasu City
928-855-8407---

DeltaSigBoater
01-24-2005, 10:38 AM
No offence to anyone here, but this is like locking the barn after the horse has been stolen. It takes a tragedy for us to “wake up and smell the burnt toast.”
As for me none of my boats have a kill switch/lanyard, and I don’t plan to install one in the future.
Let’s say that we are going along at 50mph w/ our buddy riding shotgun, you hit a wake wrong and get thrown from the boat, but your buddy doesn’t for some strange reason. Fortunately we were wearing kill switch/lanyard and it stopped the boat. Unfortunately we got knocked out on impact with the water and are in the process of drowning. Your buddy in the boat is floating away but he cant save you because he cant start the boat.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Let’s say that we are going along at 50mph w/ our buddy riding shotgun, you hit a wake wrong and get thrown from the boat, but your buddy doesn’t for some strange reason. Fortunately we were wearing kill switch/lanyard and it stopped the boat. Unfortunately we got knocked out on impact with the water and are in the process of drowning. Your buddy in the boat is floating away but he cant save you because he cant start the boat.
The kill switch, which we did not use BTW, in our previous boat was a toggle switch that all I had to do was flip it back up and the boat would then start. The actual lanyard did not need to be attached.

nodigg
01-24-2005, 11:20 AM
No offence to anyone here, but this is like locking the barn after the horse has been stolen. It takes a tragedy for us to “wake up and smell the burnt toast.”
As for me none of my boats have a kill switch/lanyard, and I don’t plan to install one in the future.
Kinda like not wearing seatbelts cause "you might not be able to get out of the car fast enough in case of an accident" mentality. Sad. What about the innocents you may injure as your boat runs uncontrolled in circles? What about your buddy who is drowning in your scenario getting chopped up by his own prop?

jackpunx
01-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I wear mine when wearing my lifejacket.... Not often enough.. :(

beer hunter
01-24-2005, 11:36 AM
The kill switch, which we did not use BTW, in our previous boat was a toggle switch that all I had to do was flip it back up and the boat would then start. The actual lanyard did not need to be attached.
Scott, I have this same type kill switch in my Shockwave and is in my opinion, the way to go. :hammer2:

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Scott, I have this same type kill switch in my Shockwave and is in my opinion, the way to go. :hammer2:
Yeah, that's the type I want to add.

LHC30Victory
01-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Where to find those? Rex and West Marine type require the fitting rather than having a toggle.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Where to find those? Rex and West Marine type require the fitting rather than having a toggle.
This is the one from West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=59638) Manufactured by Cole Hersee. I believe RexOne said that they will start carrying these shortly. Just need the color matched bezel for it as well.
Mercury Marine probably has them as well but their Parts Express application on the web SUCKS A$$! so I could not find it on the net.

H20Advantage
01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
We might bullshit alot on this board but these type of accidents, as unfortunate as they are, now become a learning lesson for the rest of us and this board allows us to learn from each others experiences amd mistakes.
Good point on the driver being thrown and passenger staying in. Might be a pro for the toggle vs. cap kill switch.
As safe as I try to be things like this are unexpected and I for one can say I don't always attach my lanyard on my kill switch. Just ordered one for the new boat today.

mbrown2
01-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Don't have one on the fast boat, foot throttle, but do have one on the wakeboard boat and don't wear it.

surfer2001
01-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Use mine when I'm going over 40 mph. Or if I feel any chance of being thrown out, like ruff water or lots of traffic. Flat water, no traffic, I don't.

jackpunx
01-24-2005, 02:38 PM
I have a foot throttle.. but I have seen them get stuck.... the truth is .. I never think to put it on .. just like my lifejacket.. Something happens to my head when I put on a lifejacket or my kill laniard.. I feel some weird pressure to have to go fast.. I dont ever want to HAVE to do anything.. if the water is nice.. I'll go for it..I guess it wouldnt hurt to clip it on.. it only takes a second..

76BARRON
01-24-2005, 02:52 PM
My boat has a spare cap in plain sight next to start/kill switch.....But those
of us that have and use kill switch's know that all you have to do is hold down the "RED" button and hit the start button or key and away you go!
At least untill you let go of button..........SIMPLE!

Ducatista
01-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I have a side mount Quicksilver 3000 throttle/shifter control on my 1999 Cheetah. It has a toggle kill switch on it but I have never had a lanyard for it. Does anyone know who might carry the correct lanyard?
I found this one on iboat which I think is the right one...a XL-6 for a Quicksilver... http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/7/big/21114_0.jpg
I also found this one in several sites....a Kwik Tec kill switch lanyard which has 6 keys to fit all Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury, Yamaha & Honda kill switches. Does anyone know if one of these is what I need?
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000VW14M.01-A2FGCA43EYMFSV._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Boatcop
01-24-2005, 04:55 PM
The top photo will fit the Mercury (Quicksilver) toggle cut-out switch.
Yes, the toggle switch is preferred, so a passenger or someone else can flip the switch to rescue those in the water.
We don't wear them on the patrol boats, except when going code 3 to a call. We HAVE to be mobile inside the boat and keep the engine running.

nodigg
01-24-2005, 07:57 PM
In light of recent events, and in the intrest of our fellow boaters being as safe as possible. We here at Liberty Performance Marine will install a kill switch in any boat FREE with any service, Without service we will take 20% off parts and labor on the installation of a kill switch in any boat. On most boats this can be done in just an hour or two, just stop in on your way to the launch ramp!!
Jennifer Lemmon
1555 Countryshire Ave
Lake Havasu City
928-855-8407---
I thought this was worth bumping up. :)

Dr. Eagle
01-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Just curious how many of your have/use your leashes all the time? I did not order one on my boat but it came with one and I used it from the start and it adds a lot of comfort to my ride in doing so. I have heard so many stories of people being thrown out even at low speeds where they would have been fine if the boat engine had been killed once the driver was ejected. NOT trying to preach here, just curious how others feel is all.
Having nearly been tossed out of my Eliminator myself twice when I had it, I started using it religiously. I sort of got the message. :squiggle:

Ducatista
01-25-2005, 09:04 AM
The top photo will fit the Mercury (Quicksilver) toggle cut-out switch.
Yes, the toggle switch is preferred, so a passenger or someone else can flip the switch to rescue those in the water.
We don't wear them on the patrol boats, except when going code 3 to a call. We HAVE to be mobile inside the boat and keep the engine running.
10/4...thanks for the info, I wanted to buy one of these last year and never got it done....ordering one today.

riverroyal
01-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Ive never used mine,I will never go without it NOW

nodigg
02-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Sadly, it looks like only 24% of us hot boaters responding :idea: use our engine kill tethers regularly when boating. I would have thought being more "into" boating than the average user, we would be more informed and safety oriented. :squiggle:

nodigg
02-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I thought this was worth bumping up. :)
Again!
Originally Posted by Jen
Jennifer Lemmon
1555 Countryshire Ave
Lake Havasu City
928-855-8407---