PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Cookies.....

Mandelon
01-23-2005, 03:27 PM
It is that time of year again when the little green suited buggers come to your door wanting you to order cookies. $4.00 a box this year. They are good eatin.
My daughter is trying to sell them, to show her support for the troop. I take her door to door for a couple of weekends while the sales period is on. Some folks are nice and look forward to oredering them. Others are just plain rude at the door. Most don't even open the door, and some aren't home.
We run into a lot of older women that used to be scouts themselves. They are always the nicest and order a couple of boxes. One old guy answered the door in his robe yesterday morning. For a second I thought my daughter caught an eyeful of old guy junk, but luckily she was spared....he was a little embarrased though. He ordered 6 boxes.... :D
Our neighborhood has a lot of girl scouts so we have to go out early or the houses have already been hit by her little friends. My daughter is pretty shy, so it seem I end up doing most of the talking.....I flirt with the moms, and tease the grandmas that once I get their phone number I might be calling... ;)
The ones who say they dont' want any, I remind them that they make great gifts....they can also buy some and have them sent overseas. But I don't like to be too pushy, it seems as a consumer someone is always pestering us to buy something....I dont' want my little girl to be like that. If they want them, great. Otherwise NO cookies for you!
My wife took over later Saturday morning, and they got discouraged. My daughter cried...:(
I will try to unload a few more at work...anyway, if a little girl comes to your door try to buy at least one box. $4.00 is a small price to pay to make some little girl happy and believe in the world. Girls Scouts is a good organization.
Anybody else doing this? Boyscouts has popcorn, we do that too......I'd rather just donate $100 and not waste my weekend, but the wife says that's not the point.....

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Mandelon.. if I could I will buy some and just send them to me.. we don't get them around here.

switchin'addiction
01-23-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm a sucker......I think I've ordered around 25 boxes so far from kids in the neighborhood. I give most of them away, but I think it is a great cause so it is hard for me to say no.

Kindsvater Flat
01-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Does she accept paypal?

OutCole'd
01-23-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm a complete sap. I'll buy anything off a kid.

Mandelon
01-23-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm a complete sap. I'll buy anything off a kid.
What, like their undies? Pervert! :mad: :D :D
Please Note: This is not a spam to sell cookies. She won't say no, of course :D but I was just relating our day.
Sales is tough. I can't imagine going door to door to make a living...ugh. I told her to cry in front of the mean people...... :D

phebus
01-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Check your prices, I think they are $4.00 a box this year. Either that, or I just got ripped off by a Brownie. :o

phebus
01-23-2005, 04:22 PM
This from the Girl Scout site:
Q: What are the sizes, quantities and prices of Girl Scout Cookies?
A: Girl Scout Cookies are sold by weight, not by size or number. The number and size of cookies may vary by variety. The national Girl Scout organization, Girl Scouts of the USA, monitors the weights of the cookies, which are set by contract.
Girl Scout Cookies sell for different prices in different areas of the country. Each of the 300 plus local Girl Scout councils has the right to set its own price based on its needs and knowledge of the local market. Today's prices, currently $2.50 to $4.00 per box, depending on location, reflect both the current cost of cookies and the realities of providing Girl Scout activities in an ever-changing economic environment.
I gues I live in a high price area.

Mandelon
01-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Oops, you are right! :jawdrop: It is $4 around here. I better edit my first post. Some counties do charge more or less. I think Imperial and Yuma are lower.....

THATJEFFGUY
01-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Mandy, take your daughter out to Yuma and buy a truckload at the discounted price...then come back and sell them for $4.00 locally. Teach her how to be a young entrepreneur ! :)
Oh, and speaking of girl/boy scouts...you know how a Cub Scout becomes a Boy Scout ???
...........by eating a Brownie ! :D

waterwitch
01-23-2005, 04:34 PM
My daughter is a brownie and
they don't get to do the selling
door to door. But they do get to stand
outside the supermarkets... and that seems
to work really well. Their cute little faces!
I don't care if I have already bought 20 boxes,
I'd still buy from the next little girl.
Yes, I was once a girl scout!!
(ya wanna see my uniform??) :D

OutCole'd
01-23-2005, 04:35 PM
What, like their undies? Pervert! :mad: :D :D
I should should have known you would go right to the gutter. :D

RiverOtter
01-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Tagalongs! My favorite. Ever read the fat grams content in those dam things :jawdrop:

Flying Tiger
01-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm a soft touch too.
I buy from everyone of the kids I see.
Gauchos are my weakeness.

HighRoller
01-23-2005, 05:04 PM
I will try to unload a few more at work...anyway, if a little girl comes to your door try to buy at least one box. $4.00 is a small price to pay to make some little girl happy and believe in the world. Girls Scouts is a good organization. I'd rather just donate $100 and not waste my weekend, but the wife says that's not the point.....
Nice... waste your time? Your wife is right about you missing the point, just like most of the parents. When you sell cookies FOR your daughter at a door and especially at work, you're defeating the purpose of the whole experience. It's not about the cookies or the money.

Debbolas
01-23-2005, 05:17 PM
I was a girl scout leader and I soooooooo don't miss this part of girl scouts.
We actually had parents make off with the cookie money.... :confused:
We had people buy ONE box of thin mints and then NOT have the money when you came around with the cookies. It was $3 way back then :D
I always buy from the kids at my school. Sign me up for:
1box lemon cremes
2boxes thin mints
2boxes peanut butter (I forget the name)
and 2 boxes iced oatmeal if ya got them.....
PM me your address and I will send you a check. :D

atomickitn
01-23-2005, 05:44 PM
hey mande if you go to the 909 get together hit me up ill buy 5 boxs of thin mints or pm me and ill figure out how to get you the cash, juct love them girl scouts. :cool:

dmontzsta
01-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Can you ship me 3 boxes? Two somoans and one peanut butter? I am ready to buy some of them, I never see those little girls selling them.

RP1
01-23-2005, 07:29 PM
It is that time of year again when the little green suited buggers come to your door wanting you to order cookies. $4.00 a box this year. They are good eatin.
My daughter is trying to sell them, to show her support for the troop. I take her door to door for a couple of weekends while the sales period is on. Some folks are nice and look forward to oredering them. Others are just plain rude at the door. Most don't even open the door, and some aren't home.
We run into a lot of older women that used to be scouts themselves. They are always the nicest and order a couple of boxes. One old guy answered the door in his robe yesterday morning. For a second I thought my daughter caught an eyeful of old guy junk, but luckily she was spared....he was a little embarrased though. He ordered 6 boxes.... :D
Our neighborhood has a lot of girl scouts so we have to go out early or the houses have already been hit by her little friends. My daughter is pretty shy, so it seem I end up doing most of the talking.....I flirt with the moms, and tease the grandmas that once I get their phone number I might be calling... ;)
The ones who say they dont' want any, I remind them that they make great gifts....they can also buy some and have them sent overseas. But I don't like to be too pushy, it seems as a consumer someone is always pestering us to buy something....I dont' want my little girl to be like that. If they want them, great. Otherwise NO cookies for you!
My wife took over later Saturday morning, and they got discouraged. My daughter cried...:(
I will try to unload a few more at work...anyway, if a little girl comes to your door try to buy at least one box. $4.00 is a small price to pay to make some little girl happy and believe in the world. Girls Scouts is a good organization.
Anybody else doing this? Boyscouts has popcorn, we do that too......I'd rather just donate $100 and not waste my weekend, but the wife says that's not the point.....
PM me your address Mandy...

billet racing
01-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I buy from every kid selling those cookies. At the door, the office, the store. End up with close to 100 every year. the greatest gift of all, Every tim eI go into a customers, hand them a box or two. Nobody has ever turned me down. Was only $3.00 last year. but $4.00 is still a great price for the customers. Oh yeah, I get to write thtem off also. Hee Hee
When they come to my neighborhood, the kids already know where to go. And i check out the moms too. Maybe they got cookies for me.

all faded
01-23-2005, 08:12 PM
I got kicked out of the boy scouts because I ate all of the "BROWNIES" :) :)

Krazy K
01-23-2005, 08:38 PM
So, they still do the door to door? I haven't seen them do door to door since before i was a teenager. My sister was a girl scout and very involved at that. She was one of the first 3 girls in her territory to get the equivlent of the Eagle Scout. My mom was a girl scout mom, even back in the brownies. She absolutely loved doing it. Back then (late 70s-early 80s) my sis went door to door.
I think Girl Scouts is a great organization and now, after reading these posts, I won't pass them by anymore!! Keep it up, Girls!

Mandelon
01-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Nice... waste your time? Your wife is right about you missing the point, just like most of the parents. When you sell cookies FOR your daughter at a door and especially at work, you're defeating the purpose of the whole experience. It's not about the cookies or the money.
Aah, Highroller, what a Sanctimonious Prick. Uh, FYI it is about the money. That's how they fund their activities.
I spend plenty of quality time with my daughter. Camping, hiking, playing ball in the yard, doing homework.....
The expererience? Oh yeah, my 9 year old is building character by having rude old farts slam the door in her face. :notam: Its not the young entrepreneur society, they do it to raise money. Kids should be playing and having fun not being pressured into something they are nervous about doing.
Yes, going door to door seems like a waste of my time. She and I could do something fun together instead of her being disappointed and stressed about having to do this. Did I write the part about you being a sanctimonious prick yet......? :mad: Sure its fun when she makes a good sale to a friendly person, but the successes are far between in this neighborhood.
For the rest of you non sanctimonious ***boaters....thanks for supporting the kids! :D

Propchecker
01-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Aah, Highroller, what a Sanctimonious Prick. Uh, FYI it is about the money. That's how they fund their activities.
I spend plenty of quality time with my daughter. Camping, hiking, playing ball in the yard, doing homework.....
The expererience? Oh yeah, my 9 year old is building character by having rude old farts slam the door in her face. :notam: Its not the young entrepreneur society, they do it to raise money. Kids should be playing and having fun not being pressured into something they are nervous about doing.
Yes, going door to door seems like a waste of my time. She and I could do something fun together instead of her being disappointed and stressed about having to do this. Did I write the part about you being a sanctimonious prick yet......? :mad: Sure its fun when she makes a good sale to a friendly person, but the successes are far between in this neighborhood.
For the rest of you non sanctimonious ***boaters....thanks for supporting the kids! :D
Yup, plus if I had a daughter I sure as hell wouldn't let her go door to door alone. You're smart to tag along.

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-23-2005, 08:57 PM
I have to agree with what Mandelon said in his post. he is always with his family and for him to go with her door to door makes him more of a man , friend and father then most people could even think of being.
props to you mandy. :wink:

Mandelon
01-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I have to agree with what Mandelon said in his post. he is always with his family and for him to go with her door to door makes him more of a man , friend and father then most people could even think of being.
props to you mandy. :wink:
I'm blushing...... :D

UltraLucky
01-23-2005, 08:58 PM
They are also $4.00 per box in our area as we got to meet a few girl scouts today also. There seem to be more and more in our nieghbor hood each year. It is always enternaining to meet the new kids and parents.

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-23-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm blushing...... :D
that's cause it is the truth.. ;)

dmontzsta
01-23-2005, 09:14 PM
damnit, I need some of those cocunut cookies...where do I find these girls?

Mandelon
01-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Remember that line from the Adams Family Movie?
"Is your lemonade made from real lemons?"
"Yes, are your cookies made from real girls scouts?"
Here is how to find your local troop. I am sure you can find a willing scout in your area!! Thanks.
http://www.girlscouts.org/councilfinder/results.asp?STATE=CA

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-24-2005, 08:15 AM
My daughter was a Girl Scout for 4 years (maybe 5? ) I'm sure glad I can just buy the cookies now and not have to deliver all of those orders! Did you guys know that the GS cookie Dreyers ice cream is in the store already? I saw they have the coconut cookies flavor and thin mint.
If I recall 40-60% goes back to the troop. That's quite a bit.
mmmmm . . . peanut butter patties . . .

SCUBA STEVE
01-24-2005, 08:41 AM
$3.00 a box over here in AZ. I knew I moved over here for a reason! :rollside:

Restless22
01-24-2005, 09:01 AM
The wife is dying for some of these. They havent started selling them up here yet though. Id rather support a mini-***boater anyways.
Can we buy some from your daughter and have them shipped? I guess thats how they do it anyways huh?
PM me with your address and ordering info so I can make the wife happy :notam: :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-24-2005, 09:03 AM
The wife is dying for some of these. They havent started selling them up here yet though. Id rather support a mini-***boater anyways.
Can we buy some from your daughter and have them shipped? I guess thats how they do it anyways huh?
PM me with your address and ordering info so I can make the wife happy :notam: :D
if the wife ain't happy.. ain't no one happy. ;)

Restless22
01-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Your telling me! :messedup: LOL
Is your daughter a girl scout?

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 09:13 AM
I told her to cry in front of the mean people...... :D
ROFLMAO!

Havasu_Dreamin
01-24-2005, 09:16 AM
DUDE! Get a grip! Mandy is always talking about the things he does with his kids. You're just an a$$ all the time! :yuk:

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Your telling me! :messedup: LOL
Is your daughter a girl scout?
no She doesn't seem interested in it so I never put her in. I would love for her to be it's good for them at that age. She would rather sing and do gymnastics. :rollside:

Mtg Pro
01-24-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm a big sucker... I don't know why they have to sell them right after the new year and I'm trying to stick to my diet. Anyway, we have about 5-6 GS on our block. I do make them go through their sales pitch, I usually ask them a couple questions about her troop and the activities. Then I order 2 from each kid.

bunny 166
01-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Mandy, you're hot when you get all riled up.... :eat: :D :D

Mandelon
01-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Can I just skip ahead to the making your wife happy part? :devil: :devil: :p

Jbb
01-24-2005, 12:55 PM
I buy them from every little one that comes to the door....lol...My coworkers all gain weight when they are delivered.... :)

bchbum
01-24-2005, 01:07 PM
I have twin 9 year old girls , both are brownies selling the cookies .Their troop set an amount for each kid to sell (150 ) each . This means we need to sell 300 . It's a good thing they are the only Brownies in the area . All our neighbors buy from them & yes we always go with them I even go to the store when it's their time for store sales
Last year they used the $ for an overnight trip to Seaworld

ROZ
01-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Why didn't you tell me last week!!!!! I don't have any kids in my area selling them. I'll take 4 boxes of thin mints and 1 box of those carmel whateverthehoots... I need your address regardless, so PM it to me. I'll send you a check then let me know when they're in. I pass by your area about every other week :)

cruser
01-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Mandelon,
It is about more than the money, in my opinion. Yes, the troop needs money to provide activities but, the girls need to know that this does not come for free. I am glad you are involved in your daughter's life. You going with her to help with sales is the right thing to do. However, there are those that sell cookies, popcorn, whatever for thier kids without any effort on the kids part. I think these kids are missing out on an important lesson. The lesson is that they can earn thier own way. If they want to accomplish something, they can, if they work for it.
Judging from what I have read from your and others posts here, I think that you probably provide that lesson in other ways for all your children. However, there are those who miss that point.
My experience and opinions in this matter are based on being involved in Scouting since 1990. I started with my son in Cub Scouts and was an adult leader through-out his and my second sons Scouting adventure. Now I am back in Cub Scouts again with my grandson.
My wife and I always buy Girl Scout cookies, every year. The wife buys them from her students and I pick up a few from those that come to the door or at the local store.

Mrs. Restless22
01-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Can I just skip ahead to the making your wife happy part? :devil: :devil: :p
:eek: Id love to take you up on this offer....but you have no idea how bad Im dying to have some of these damn cookies. Tell ya what...PM me your address and Ill hand deliver the check :D :D

Sherpa
01-24-2005, 02:45 PM
Mandy.
by far the most lucrative girl scouts selling cookies around here in the bay
area sell them from a small card table either at an entrance to the
grocery store, or at/near the ATM's at a popular bank....... seriously...
I always buy cookies from them...... peanut butter cookies, and thin mints.
not to mention I always like the girls having to do the sales themselves,
and not the mom's..........
--Sherpa

bchbum
01-24-2005, 03:02 PM
We always have the parents in the background watching over things & 1 parent overseeing all the $
You can't beleive how many pepole give $ and don't want the cookies , just helpping out the kids .