PDA

View Full Version : Termite Control

Parker Dreamin
01-24-2005, 08:06 PM
We have been in our home a little over two years and we have subterranean termites. We have had two companies out to give us bids on prevention/killing. One company wants to dig around the whole house and put poison, guarantee for 2 years, $950. Another wants to drill holes in some brick and cement, place poison in the holes and in the dirt under the house, 1 year guarantee for 1 year, $900.
I was hoping somebody here knew or knows something or somebody that is involved with termite control. Any help would be great....
What kind of prevention do you do ? How does it work ? Who do you use? etc..
thanks to all.

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Roadrunner Ex,949-645-3316
Pimpin' for RiverLiver... LOL.
He has a website as well. http://www.roadrunnerexterminating.com/

Parker Dreamin
01-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Do you know anything about the above ? have you used them, little more love...

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2005, 08:23 PM
:D thanks i couldn't remember who it was (MY BAD)monday night drinking :D
Gotta love it, I'm outa beer though... :frown:
Parker Dreamin'
RiverLiver is a good peep and a ***boater as well. Check out the website, his company does all sorts of exterminating, I wouldn't hesitate to use him.
I'll let him know what you're looking for.

Parker Dreamin
01-24-2005, 08:26 PM
i just sent riverliver a PM........ dont know if he is up for coming up to Torrance though... we will see. Seems that $900 is a lot for that....

Parker Dreamin
01-24-2005, 08:42 PM
900$,as long as what ever it is DIES! AND NEVER COMES BACK :D
It is for Termites and they will be back in a year from what the waranty states.....

Havasu Doug
01-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Gotta love it, I'm outa beer though... :frown:
Parker Dreamin'
RiverLiver is a good peep and a ***boater as well. Check out the website, his company does all sorts of exterminating, I wouldn't hesitate to use him.
I'll let him know what you're looking for.
I ran out of beer too, so I switched to Goldschlager. :D

Sleek-Jet
01-24-2005, 08:48 PM
I ran out of beer too, so I switched to Goldschlager. :D
ugh.... better you than me gunga din.... LOL :D

Havasu Doug
01-24-2005, 08:49 PM
ugh.... better you than me gunga din.... LOL :D
That's almost gone now too.

Tequila-John
01-25-2005, 07:39 AM
We used Roadrunner for our Tustin house Dave. They are the cheapest out there. We had the whole drilled 1 time and tented a few years later. Thanks for asking bud. Love you down there HA DING

Boozer
01-25-2005, 07:54 AM
I don't know if these guys go out to your area or not but I'm almost positive that they do.
http://teamtoo.com/
A good friend of mine works for the company and their Heat Blast is pretty cool and very popular for people with kids and pets. They tent your house and kill all the termites with heat and heat alone. To the best of my knowledge there are no toxic chemicals used whatsoever with the heat blast. I'm not sure what they charge but I'd give them a call and see what kind of deal they'll give you.

Parker Dreamin
01-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I dont think we need to tent the house, with sub termites they have to come back in the ground to stay moist..... that is why the spray and do things in the ground. Tenting a home runs over $2K from my understanding.

Parker Dreamin
01-25-2005, 08:28 AM
We used Roadrunner for our Tustin house Dave. They are the cheapest out there. We had the whole drilled 1 time and tented a few years later. Thanks for asking bud. Love you down there HA DING
Scott from Roadrunner will be calling the wife today. We will see what they have to say. Thanks for the heads up John.

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Riverliver is the man to call. :D

boxscore
01-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Whatever you do ... don't let them sell you a "baiting system". We had termites in our new home. The slab was pretreated before pouring. We had to pull teeth to get them out here and honor their five year gaurantee. Finally they drilled around entire home and treated. It appears to have worked. But first they put a baiting system in and around the house... that was a joke and an attempt to get some cash out of us.

Parker Dreamin
01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Whatever you do ... don't let them sell you a "baiting system". We had termites in our new home. The slab was pretreated before pouring. We had to pull teeth to get them out here and honor their five year gaurantee. Finally they drilled around entire home and treated. It appears to have worked. But first they put a baiting system in and around the house... that was a joke and an attempt to get some cash out of us.
Ya, one company wanted to trench around the house and keep poison in the trenches.....the other wanted to drill holes etc..... So I dont have a clue at this point. I am sure Riverliver will be able to be honest with us.

boxscore
01-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Ya, one company wanted to trench around the house and keep poison in the trenches.....the other wanted to drill holes etc..... So I dont have a clue at this point. I am sure Riverliver will be able to be honest with us.
They drilled about every 2 feet. They did a good job using matching colored concrete to patch. I didn't hear about any "trenching" options. It's important that they go around entire house. The chemical doesn't kill'em, it just creates a barrier. That barrier must encompass entire house.. or those lil bastards will find a way in.

boxscore
01-25-2005, 08:41 AM
BTW... negotiate for a longer warranty. Ours was for 5 years.

Cas
01-25-2005, 09:03 AM
I was in termite control and repair for a few years. Trenching and chemical application to the ground to both sides of the foundation is the way to go. The reason for the trenching is so the chemical can be covered back up for safety reasons. Areas that are covered with concrete ie: porches, garages, walkways, should be drilled approx every 2 ft, injected with the chemical and then refill the holes.
The chemical itself will kill the termites but is used more as a barrier. Usually the nest is somewhere away from the house unless it's located in the sub-area.
As far as prevention, there are some things you can do such as treating the posts, pier pads and the perimeter framing above the foundation with a chemical such as copper green which can be purchased at most lumber yards or home improvement centers. In some of the garden centers, you can buy a chemical that you can apply to the ground yourself but it won't be anywhere near the strength of the chemicals the pro's use.
$900.00 may sound high but should you need repairs, the cost can and usually does far exceed that.
Subterranean termites are a relatively slow moving termite, by the time you see damage, it's probably pretty extensive.
As far as using a tent, heat or electrocution, those remedies only work on what's in the house, not what's in the ground. After the the application of those treatments, the insects start coming back the following day as there is no residual left from them.

mirvin
01-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Hey PD, let me know if Riverliver can't make the trek up here. I have a local guy that has helped me a few times.
mirvin :)

Freak
01-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Yep
I have a friend in the bus. Trench both sides of the foundation and drill if you have block foundation. Drill all pads and stoops ect also. He says termidicide is the chemical to use. If they dont have it go to another shop.

riverliver
01-25-2005, 11:52 AM
well this thread has made for some funny reading, some true and some not so true.
PD my office called your wife and set a time to come and look at your problem I am sure we can take good care of you.