PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever change tension springs....

ROZ
01-25-2005, 12:38 PM
for a large rollup garage door?
Any preferred technique? I can order the springs online for less than 150.00 or I can pay someone 550.00 to put them in. Shit and new door is about 1k...
help?

OutCole'd
01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Step 1: Drink two beers, put on helmet.
Step 2:

R.A.D.man
01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
It can be harmful to your health. My dad was recently in your poisition and when it came time to tension, he decided to call a professional. He is a contractor so finding someone was easy for him. I suggest you try and find someone to just do the tensioning. If you can, be honest with them and tell them you will do the install, just need help with the tensionong and tweaking. That way you still save and don't get hurt.

switchin'addiction
01-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Don't do it!

Unforgiven
01-25-2005, 01:26 PM
save yourself the hassle, spend the 500 bucks and spend your time doing something more creative...like posting

al cole'holic
01-25-2005, 01:28 PM
2 people, couple of hours of fun, a stick of chalk...couple of twists and turns you'll be on your way :D

spectratoad
01-25-2005, 01:29 PM
I did my spring and it wasn't too bad. But yes I did wear a helmet, gloves and safety glasses. :squiggle: I have adjusted mine and the piece of pipe I was using did end up on the other side of the garage very quickly. :cool:
It isn't hard you just have to be careful as everyone said. :cool: :D

BADBLOWN572
01-25-2005, 01:42 PM
When you are tensioning the shaft, make sure that you take two pair of vice grips and grab the tubing. One on top and one on the bottom. Lock it down so if it spins it will hit the wall. Also another trick is to take a can of spray paint and do a stripe down the long portion of the spring. This is how you can tell how many turns you have put on the spring. if it is a pair of springs, do it evenly.
It is not that bad to add tension to the door. just make sure that you get a good set of tension bars that fit snugly into the spring. Don't want them poping out and sending them somewhere they don't belong.

Tom Brown
01-25-2005, 01:54 PM
I've changed them too. It's not a huge deal but requires caution.
If it's a two spring unit, make sure you count the turns of tension on each side so they are the same. Also, when you're releasing the tension on the old springs, you have to walk them all the way out... just backing off the set screws and letting it go is suicide.
Good luck. :D

ROZ
01-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I've changed them too. It's not a huge deal but requires caution.
If it's a two spring unit, make sure you count the turns of tension on each side so they are the same. Also, when you're releasing the tension on the old springs, you have to walk them all the way out... just backing off the set screws and letting it go is suicide.
Good luck. :D
Yep, It's a 2 spring unit. One spring was replaced just before we bought the house. I'll just replace one.
Do I need to release the tension from the side the spring is still active?
It seems that properly fitted tensioning tools(pipe) is most important if I choose to do it myself.....

rrrr
01-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Yep, It's a 2 spring unit. One spring was replaced just before we bought the house. I'll just replace one.
Do I need to release the tension from the side the spring is still active?
It seems that properly fitted tensioning tools(pipe) is most important if I choose to do it myself.....
I believe you need to do both of 'em. I did garage door replacement in the the previous century. Also seem to remember that 3/8" cold rolled round steel bar is the preferred tool to use.
Just for fun wear a heart monitor. Tensioning the spring will get you in your aerobic range. :D :D

Waist Deep
01-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Did it once, or actually the friggin thing I was using to tension the spring flew off and almost hit me so I called the door company.

PHX ATC
01-25-2005, 05:22 PM
$500 is a bit high, then again it's Cali.
I hired a very nice garage door company for $250 they fixed mine. They even put a sticker on my garage opener drive unit, so when it breaks again, I know who to call.
The noises that came from the garage were very very scary.
NO way would I try.

mike37
01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
$500 is a bit high, then again it's Cali.
I hired a very nice garage door company for $250 they fixed mine. They even put a sticker on my garage opener drive unit, so when it breaks again, I know who to call.
NO way would I try.
$250 is about right for two springs and labor

Mandelon
01-25-2005, 05:52 PM
for a large rollup garage door?
Any preferred technique? I can order the springs online for less than 150.00 or I can pay someone 550.00 to put them in. Shit and new door is about 1k...
help?
Hey, I gotta guy. :cool: :notam: :cool:
For $550 he'd replace the whole damn door. Call Diego at Monster Garage Doors 619 813 5772

phebus
01-25-2005, 06:04 PM
JBB did it, and didn't have a problem http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar1312_1.gif
Oh wait....... :D

Rocky
01-25-2005, 06:42 PM
:cool: $500 is a bit high, then again it's Cali.
NO way would I try.
Does it say Lincon Garage Door Or Western Garage Door?

ECeptor
01-25-2005, 06:46 PM
I do 99% of my own wrenching.
Garage door springs are the 1% that I hire out. They are damn dangerous and not something you want to do. Shop around for the lowest price then forget about what you could save by trying it yourself. At best you end up injured, at worst you end up dead with a cheater bar implanted in your skull.

ROZ
01-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey, I gotta guy. :cool: :notam: :cool:
For $550 he'd replace the whole damn door. Call Diego at Monster Garage Doors 619 813 5772
I'd change the entire door, but it's one of them solid wood rollup jobbies. I'll give him a call to see if he does the springs ;) :D
Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.
Also, Forensic pm your friends number :)
Yo Mandy, Where's my thin mints :D

Tom Brown
01-25-2005, 11:57 PM
At best you end up injured, at worst you end up dead with a cheater bar implanted in your skull.
Who are you? Ralph Nadar?

dmontzsta
01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
damn, I think we paid $550 for a new double garage door installed.

Mandelon
01-26-2005, 08:49 AM
I'd change the entire door, but it's one of them solid wood rollup jobbies. I'll give him a call to see if he does the springs ;) :D
Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.
Also, Forensic pm your friends number :)
Yo Mandy, Where's my thin mints :D
He does repairs too. My spring came apart and he only charge me $40...to fix it. cookies are on order, but will not show up till first week in March.

ECeptor
01-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Who are you? Ralph Nadar?
Not hardly...I love the Corvair!!!
Naw, just knew a guy growing up who took a pretty good shot in the head working on one. Was enough to keep me from doing it myself. I'll save my $$$ elsewhere.

rivrbrat
01-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Here's a link to a full length instructional video. Don't know how much their springs are but they are the easiest in the industry to install. Doesn't require bars,or a football helment to install. Just a drill.
http://www.clopaydoor.com/installman.asp