PDA

View Full Version : Train Wreck

Parker Dreamin
01-26-2005, 06:49 AM
what a bad derailment in Atwater Village on the news right now.... man oh man. How sad.........

GHTRIM
01-26-2005, 06:55 AM
What is the 411?? I'm not near a TV??

WILD LAVEY
01-26-2005, 06:58 AM
looks like 2 metrolink trains collided, it also involved a union pacific locomotive :(

GHTRIM
01-26-2005, 07:02 AM
That sucks :( .. Were the cars full of passengers?

Flying Tiger
01-26-2005, 07:02 AM
I occasionally ride that very train, the 901.
It was full of people.
Bad to see.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-26-2005, 07:31 AM
LA Times is reporting 3 confirmed deaths.

beer hunter
01-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Here are a couple pics. :eek:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2249Train_Crash_2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2249Train_Crash.jpg

Community
01-26-2005, 07:54 AM
I work on San Fernando road by Los Feliz. There is a ton of equipment going by the shop here. So far there are 4 confirmed fatalities. The Union Pacific train had gravel for La Conchita and was sitting parked in the lot where this all happened. Something caused the two metros to rub and derail hitting the Union Pacific.

Debbolas
01-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Very sad for all involved.....The channel 5 newsguy is bugging me, and the firemen, and the cops, asking questions. DUDE, pull back, let them do their job!
Now, I'm watching Channel 4 :idea:

barbigrl
01-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Very sad for all involved.....The channel 5 newsguy is bugging me, and the firemen, and the cops, asking questions. DUDE, pull back, let them do their job!
Now, I'm watching Channel 4 :idea:
I thought the same thing about Eric Spillman (I am an avid channel five viewer) he was asking questions that were rediculous! There was no way these fireman could know the answers as they are pulling people and bodies out! he was making assumptions as well!!! "Officer ignore the screaming lady...answer some of my questions"

Debbolas
01-26-2005, 08:25 AM
I thought the same thing about Eric Spillman (I am an avid channel five viewer) he was asking questions that were rediculous! There was no way these fireman could know the answers as they are pulling people and bodies out! he was making assumptions as well!!! "Officer ignore the screaming lady...answer some of my questions"
I know!!
He asked that one fire captain the same question over and over trying to get him to commit to something he didn't know. Then Eric misrepresented the facts....the fire captain said they would search the cars, over and over...Eric said they were making ONE final search.
I usually like him................ :confused:

Debbolas
01-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Sherrif Baca is saying the driver of the vehicle is ALIVE, and he "hinted" that the car was PARKED on the tracks. :confused: :jawdrop:
Hope he knows what he is talking about.............. :confused:

CrazyHippy
01-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Heard about it on my drive in this morning, radio said 9 fatalities... Not a good way to start your day...
BJH

jackpunx
01-26-2005, 09:23 AM
its a mess around in my neighborhood right now

dicudmore
01-26-2005, 09:25 AM
bad deal.....thoughts are with everybody :frown:

jdogginla
01-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Sherrif Baca is saying the driver of the vehicle is ALIVE, and he "hinted" that the car was PARKED on the tracks. :confused: :jawdrop:
Hope he knows what he is talking about.............. :confused:
They're saying the guy was trying to commit suicide..........chickened out at the last minute, and tried to push the car off the tracks!@#$ Couldn't and then ran away!!
What an A$$hole!!!! If you're going to take your own life.........don't involve others!!#$!@#@#%@#$
Enjoy your new home and four walls........unless he balls up and really does kill himself! I hope they find him before he has a chance to do that!
Geez

Havasu_Dreamin
01-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Just heard on the radio that some guy wanted to commit suicide and parked his Jeep Cherokee on the tracks, then at the last minute he chickened out and decided to jump from the Jeep. He survives and 9 others lose their life because of his one selfish act! Damn fool is going to wish he succeeded now! :lightsabe

Havasu_Dreamin
01-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Enjoy your new home and four walls........unless he balls up and really does kill himself! I hope they find him before he has a chance to do that!
They already have him in custody from what the radio said.

RiverToysJas
01-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Just heard on the radio that some guy wanted to commit suicide and parked his Jeep Cherokee on the tracks, then at the last minute he chickened out and decided to jump from the Jeep. He survives and 9 others lose their life because of his one selfish act! Damn fool is going to wish he succeeded now! :lightsabe
If that turns out to be the case, he's really stupid. It's faster to put the car in gear and floor the gas than it is to open the door, get out, and run. Not to mention there's no guarrentee you'll die if your car is hit by a train. He'll do life in prison if this is the case!!!
RTJas

Waist Deep
01-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Coincidence or not? Someone posted about Costco selling caskets before this wreck even happened. The layout area for the deceased in in Costcos parking lot.
Sad news about this. Hear a Sherrifs Deputy on force for 23 years was killed because of someones stupidity.

RiverToysJas
01-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Coincidence or not? Someone posted about Costco selling caskets before this wreck even happened. The layout area for the deceased in in Costcos parking lot.
I noticed that too. :(
RTJas

jackpunx
01-26-2005, 10:05 AM
If that turns out to be the case, he's really stupid. It's faster to put the car in gear and floor the gas than it is to open the door, get out, and run. Not to mention there's no guarrentee you'll die if your car is hit by a train. He'll do life in prison if this is the case!!!
RTJas
The sad part is .. This guy will probably not get life in prison..

Havasu_Dreamin
01-26-2005, 10:06 AM
The sad part is .. This guy will probably not get life in prison..
Hopefully he is charged with 9 counts of involuntary manslaughter or something to at least lock his a$$ up for a very, very long time.

Waist Deep
01-26-2005, 10:08 AM
I bet the guy was insane. Yeah, that's how we'll get him off. Justice never prevails.

jackpunx
01-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Hopefully he is charged with 9 counts of involuntary manslaughter or something to at least lock his a$$ up for a very, very long time.
Only time will tell..but unfortunatly I will be suprised if this guy does more then 5 years.
Its just the system.. it confuses me.. I see people get death for killing one or two people.. and some others get less for killing more people..
I wish it all made sense to me.. but it dosnt

RiverToysJas
01-26-2005, 10:11 AM
The Sheriff is very mad, they will pinned him with the harshest count they can.
RTJas

IN2MX
01-26-2005, 10:19 AM
One Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy was killed, two others injured while riding the train in Full Uniform.
The Fatality is James Tutino, from Simi Valley. He is a 23 year department veteran currently assigned to the Men's Central Jail, Jail gang unit.
LASD has the responsibility of providing Law Enforcement services for the passenger's of the Los Angeles County Metrolink Rail system.
Deputies are allowed to ride the trains free of charge, on or off-duty, as long as they are dressed in full-uniform, with gun belt, and are required to take police action when needed.

RP1
01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Another upstanding citizen of Compton kills again. He actually stayed at the scene and watched.WTF

Waist Deep
01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Compton, hmmm. Never heard of anything negative out of there. Ok, if this is so, the guy will probably get off for lets say, police brutality or excessive force.

beer hunter
01-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Compton, hmmm. Never heard of anything negative out of there. Ok, if this is so, the guy will probably get off for lets say, police brutality or excessive force.
Nah, Jonny Cockran (sp) will sue and get him millions :hammerhea

Waist Deep
01-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Oh Johnny, I bet them damn trains were early and if they were on "C.P.T."
this would never have happened.

moneypit
01-26-2005, 10:47 AM
A patient and who was also a good friend of mine was on that train. He was the LA Sheriff that was killed. Its been kind of a rough morning. I feel so bad for his wife and two wonderful boys. He was a defensive football coach at Simi High and always kept himself in very good shape. Always had a smile on his face and never had a bad thing to say..
Just a bad way to go.

beer hunter
01-26-2005, 11:01 AM
A patient and who was also a good friend of mine was on that train. He was the LA Sheriff that was killed. Its been kind of a rough morning. I feel so bad for his wife and two wonderful boys. He was a defensive football coach at Simi High and always kept himself in very good shape. Always had a smile on his face and never had a bad thing to say..
Just a bad way to go.
I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend MP, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of those who've lost loved ones in this tragic event :(

RP1
01-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Just a bad way to go.
Sorry to hear this... Prayers are with all involved.
I am on my way out there to assist with the Forensic investigation of the scene.

rvrpig
01-26-2005, 11:47 AM
I am a Railroad Engineer for BNSF and this kinda crap happens more than u think. The assh&^# that is committing suicide never thinks what it might do to the crew that sees him splatter all over the front of our train. If I hit some one I am required to go find the person. :2purples: If ya wanna kill yourself then do it in your own private area...I dont need to be a part of it! :hammerhea

BoatPI
01-26-2005, 11:56 AM
The assbite is being booked for MURDER.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
10 Dead as Metrolink Trains Collide
One of the trains hits a car parked on the tracks and then hits a second train.
By Michael Muskal and Jesus Sanchez
Times Staff Writers
12:22 PM PST, January 26, 2005
At least 10 people died and nearly 200 were injured this morning when two commuter trains collided after one hit a car parked on the tracks by a man intent on killing himself, officials said
Police said they had taken a man into custody and he was expected to be charged with homicide in connection with the chain reaction of crashes that left train cars mangled and seared in Glendale near the Los Angeles border. Debris including seat cushions, bloody towels and luggage discarded by fleeing passengers littered the area.
A southbound commuter train heading to downtown Los Angeles hit the Jeep Grand Cherokee parked on the tracks, said Glendale Police Chief Randy G. Adams. The train then apparently crashed into a northbound Metrolink commuter train and a Union Pacific freight train was hit and derailed, officials said. The investigation was continuing.
"This is now a homicide investigation," Adams said, adding that police had taken a man into custody. Adams identified the suspect as Juan Manuel Alvarez of Compton. He said Alvarez had attempted suicide before.
Alvarez was detained at the scene and appeared to be uninjured. He told police he had left the vehicle and watched the derailment, Adams said. He was also identified by witnesses at the scene.
Alvarez was charged with 10 counts of murder, Adams said. The suspect was distraught and remorseful and was being held on a suicide watch. He had superficial self-inflicted wounds that were treated, the chief said.
Alvarez, who will celebrate his 26th birthday on Feb. 26, had prior drug arrests, Adams said.
"This whole incident was started by a deranged individual that was suicidal," the chief told reporters.
"I think his intent at that time was to take his own life, but changed his mind prior to the train actually striking this vehicle," the chief said. "He exited the vehicle and stood by as the southbound Metrolink train struck his vehicle, causing the train to derail and strike the northbound train."
Glendale Mayor Bob Yousefian said that Juan Alvarez "kind of ran, tried to hide, but because of his previous injuries, he got apprehended."
When asked why Alvarez was in Glendale, the mayor responded, "He came to Glendale to commit suicide."
Officials described the incident as the worst local rail disaster in recent memory. The deadliest national accident was on March 15, 1999 in Bourbonnais, Illinois. Eleven died and more than 100 were injured.
A National Transportation Safety Board team was headed to the scene. The Glendale Police Department was leading the criminal investigation, with LAPD and the Sheriff's Department assisting.
The 6 a.m. crash set off minor fires and diesel fuel spills as rescuers rushed to the scene at San Fernando Road and Chevy Chase Drive. The area is near where Burbank, Glendale and Atwater Village in Los Angeles meet.
"This is unbelievably tragic," an angry Sheriff Lee Baca told reporters at the scene. "It is a complete outrage as far as transportation safety is concerned."
At a joint news conference with Los Angeles police Chief William Bratton and Glendale's Adams, Baca said he was especially angry because one of the dead was identified as Deputy James Tutino, a 23-year veteran of the Sheriff's Department. He was aboard the southbound train, heading to work from Simi Valley.
Three LAPD employees were hospitalized and one was unaccounted for, Bratton said.
The death toll steadily climbed as the sun rose. By 10:30 a.m. the count hit 10. Fire officials said 123 people were treated and transported to 13 area hospitals. About 60 people were treated at the scene and released. Most of the injured were treated in the light rain at a triage center established in a nearby Costco parking lot.
A Glendale Memorial Hospital spokeswoman said that at least five patients were considered critical.
Television stations showed hundreds of tons of wreckage from the commuter trains and officials reported traffic delays throughout the area. The commute on the Ventura and Antelope Valley lines was disrupted indefinitely as officials used buses to transport commuters between Union Station and the Burbank station.
More than 300 firefighters combed through the derailed trains looking for trapped passengers. As firefights cleared each car, they garishly marked the side giving the cars an eerie look as they formed a twisted zig-zag pattern next to the tracks.
Bamattre said at least five passes had been completed through the scene. By 9 a.m. the focus has shifted from rescue to recovery, officials said.
"It's been a nightmare," passenger Leanne Lopez told a reporter.
One Metrolink train, the 901, left Union Station in downtown Los Angeles and the other, train 100, was heading into Los Angeles. Officials said the trains usually carried 200 to 250 passengers. The top speed is 79 mph, though the trains were believed to be traveling at less than the maximum.
David Morrison, 47, an attorney, was heading to downtown Los Angeles on his regular morning commute. He said he that he got on train 100 at 5:19 a.m. at Simi Valley.
"I heard the crash. It sounded like the train was dragging something across the tracks," he told The Times. "There was a violent lurch and everything came to a stop."
He said the passengers fled amid the smell of diesel fumes.
Goddard Paialii, 53, of Woodland Hills, a communications electrician for the city of Los Angeles, said he boarded the train in Chatsworth and rode in the lead car. He was upstairs and said he was trying to nap, listening to his I-Pod.
After the crash, the train "appeared to be dragging whatever it hit. At that point, I just braced myself. Computers, seat pads, briefcases were flying all over. There was lots of smoke in the car."
But the exodus remained orderly.
"Everybody was trying to help everybody else get out," Paialii said. "The train I was in was entirely ripped out. We went out through a gaping hole," Paialii said.
He stepped over a woman who complained of back and neck injuries and said she did not want to move. He carried one injured man to a fence nearby.
Cathie Fransen, 57 was riding with her friend Ken Milds, 55, in the middle car. Fransen said she has ridden the train regularly for 12 1/2 years and was in the aisle seat, second floor, middle car. She does community relations for IBM in Glendale.
"It was very terrifying. We had seconds to think about what was going on," she said.
After the derailment, as the cars skidded, she said it felt like "it kept going and going. We were holding our breath."
The entire wreck of all three trains was contained between a gray warehouse and the brick wall of Costco. A single train car was propped at an almost perfect 45-degree angle from the tracks, a signal bridge crumpled over it, its upper corner resting lightly on the tracks. The car in front of it, still attached, was tilted at about an 80-degree angle, its wheels still just barely resting on the track.
And to the south a third car lay fully on its side, back right corner a mess of debris. An engine and a Metrolink car to the south remained on the tracks upright and relatively untouched, but behind these another attached car stood upright but almost at right angles across the track.
All along the ground, large metal pieces of the side of the train and gray upholstered seats were scattered like discarded food wrappers. On the train cars, windows gaped or were shattered in their frames.
Each of the cars by midmorning were scribbled with neon orange spray paint from the firefighters, who had numbered them. On the warehouse behind the train people gathered to look down on the wreckage.
The accident occurred just north of the Costco store in a shopping center on Los Feliz Boulevard, where it was drizzling and dark, witnesses said.
"We heard a loud boom and the building shook," said Jenny Doll, 30, a Costco clerk from Monterey Park.
Employees took fire extinguishers from the store shelves and ran outside to help.
"Everybody was helping and trying to get people out of the train," said Doll, who was taking food and water from the store for firefighters at the site.
Ruben Cabrera, the 37-year-old store manager, said he first thought the noise of the crash was thunder, but soon his receiving dock called and told him there had been an accident.
"It was chaos. I was trying to keep a level head, and I didn't want to lose any employees," he said.
Inside the store, passengers were processed by officials trying to account for everyone on board. Once done, the commuters filed out and sat on white picnic benches in front of a snack stand.
An hour after the crash, crews worked on the wreckage as about 50 passengers waited nearby.
They sat in work clothes with tags around their neck: Name, Age, Condition.
One firefighter walked among the walking wounded shouting: "Who needs to go to the hospital? Who needs to go to the hospital?"
A few people raised their hands.
Then firefighters went person to person asking if anything else was needed and how they were feeling.
Reprtined without the consent of the LA times.

beer hunter
01-26-2005, 12:34 PM
I think LE should throw him in a cell with a strong piece of rope and see what happens :mad:

SHOTKALLIN
01-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I like how you think! :crossx:

Kilrtoy
01-26-2005, 09:45 PM
One Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy was killed, two others injured while riding the train in Full Uniform.
The Fatality is James Tutino, from Simi Valley. He is a 23 year department veteran currently assigned to the Men's Central Jail, Jail gang unit.
LASD has the responsibility of providing Law Enforcement services for the passenger's of the Los Angeles County Metrolink Rail system.
Deputies are allowed to ride the trains free of charge, on or off-duty, as long as they are dressed in full-uniform, with gun belt, and are required to take police action when needed.
That was my buddies partner, he is really bummed right now

JustMVG
01-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Kilr was his dads name Matt if so i know the guy? :frown:

Kilrtoy
01-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Kilr was his dads name Matt if so i know the guy? :frown:
i have no clue he told me about it and was bummed

JustMVG
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
If you talk to him again please ask, thanks MVG

Brooski
01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
The part that sucks is that the murder charge will be hard to prove. You would have to prove that he had intent to kill those people. Voluntary Manslaughter for life. They should take him off suicide watch, and let him kill himself in jail. The comment about the Costco thread and what happened today sent shivers down my spine. That is spooky.

RP1
01-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Well I spent the better part of yesterday at the scene and I can tell you it's bad. I have investigated 300+ murders in the past twelve years and the carnage and magnitude of destruction that I saw yesterday takes the cake.
Please keep those injured and deceased in your prayers... they need it.
We can only hope the selfish piece of crap that intentionally walked away from his vehicle and created this tragedy sees his full justice.

LOWRIVER2
01-27-2005, 10:17 AM
I was assigned to the scene last night and tonight. I've seen plenty of bad T/C's but it's rough when you see that many fatalities at one site.
I rode the Metrolink for a year on a Det. stint back in 98". The S/B train I was riding in struck an empty semi trailer stuck in a crossing at Santa Fe Springs doing 50+mph. Big difference since the engine was in front and thus the extra (300,000+lbs.), kept the train on track with no injuries.
While making all crossings into overpasses (to prohibit vehicles from entering tracks) will take time and money, I hope Metrolink will start running all their trains engine first. I have no doubt based on my own experience that this would have made a difference in this case.
Some say the the parked freight train was a rare chance but it's their line and they're parked regularly in Fullerton, Commerce as well.
The passenger cars are made by Bombardier and are built light for fuel economy. They crumpled like tin cans.
God bless the families, what a senseless loss.
The blue line from Long Beach to Downtown LA averages about one fatality a month, most are pedestrian suicides and those who try to drive across the downed crossing gates. I remember one ped suicide who had an unbroken Mickey's beer in his jacket pocket, tough little bottle.