PDA

View Full Version : TO THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.......

jackpunx
01-27-2005, 02:40 PM
TO THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.......
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while
they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for
diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and
when
we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding
in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it,
but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were
back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride
down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at
all,
no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.
We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and
although
we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or
rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard
of.
They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem
solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW
TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! Please pass this on to
others
who have had the luck to grow up as kids. . . .
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't
it?!

spectras only
01-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Born in the 40's , still here :D

Ducatista
01-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Man that stuff is so true.....

jackpunx
01-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I trip out when I see the drug re calls.. and all the virus stuff.. and wonder.. How did we survive it then? lol

Brewzed
01-27-2005, 02:58 PM
That's a great post.
I can remember riding around in the back of my parents van in a playpen with my little brother.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I trip out when I see the drug re calls.. and all the virus stuff.. and wonder.. How did we survive it then? lol
No kidding. Yet we all managed to surive.
Proud product of the 70's here. Thanks mom and dad!

switchin'addiction
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Born in 1970, but that all rings true with me!!

jackpunx
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
69 here.. and Im doing just fine.. ;)

Ducatista
01-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Yea and no Prozac & Ridilin.... :rolleyes:

jdf
01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
born in 68 and still around i can't count the many times mom kicked me outside to chase a tire with a stick

switchin'addiction
01-27-2005, 03:25 PM
I got my ass busted from time to time too........guess what, no emotional scars from it either, and my parents didn't go to jail for child abuse!!

Havasu_Dreamin
01-27-2005, 03:26 PM
born in 68 and still around i can't count the many times mom kicked me outside to chase a tire with a stick
I remember telling mom or dad "I'm bored" and mom or dad telling me, "go outside and play it's a beautiful day and you won't able to play like that forever."

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
01-27-2005, 03:40 PM
" 72 "
I so remember the street lights thing!!!! That was great !!! It's so funny I have a cousin that when ever her daughter goes any where ( even here ) she has to check in at least three times a day...... When my son leaves, I give him a time to be home and POOF he's gone :D If he stays the night some where All I ask is call me when U get there ( if far ) and call me when you leave :messedup: :D I admit I am over protective sometimes and my husband tells me to cut the cord but, I'm a mom and thats what we do!!!
I never did get in trouble for throwing frogs over the fence into the neighbors pool!!!! :D LOL :D

GHTRIM
01-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Anyone for a good ole game of Lawn Darts????? :D Born 69 and still have both eyes. I also don't have hair on my palms nor did I go blind. :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :D

jackpunx
01-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Anyone for a good ole game of Lawn Darts????? :D Born 69 and still have both eyes. I also don't have hair on my palms nor did I go blind. :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :D
LMAO.. :D

Moe_Havi
01-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Got in fights but never got shot, stabbed or clubbed. Bloody nose, cut lip. That's about it. The good old days.

HCS
01-27-2005, 04:30 PM
I was born in 1959. I also have survived the Beatles, Led Zeppilin, and the drug era. In high school I dropped acid, ate reds and yellows. Smoked pot, hash oil, Thia stick, and Afgan hash. I snorted and smoked cocain, meth and took speed. I started drinking beer when I was 19 which is the only habit I haven't kicked.
Hell I'm still ok!!
It's all good. :D

GHTRIM
01-27-2005, 04:33 PM
I was born in 1959. I also have survived the Beatles, Led Zeppilin, and the drug era. In high school I dropped acid, ate reds and yellows. Smoked pot, hash oil, Thia stick, and Afgan hash. I snorted and smoked cocain, meth and took speed. I started drinking beer when I was 19 which is the only habit I haven't kicked.
Hell I'm still ok!!
It's all good. :D
HOLY Sh1t!!!!!!!!!! That is a Boat load of odds to beat!!!! If we ever meet I want you autograph!!! :rollside:

HCS
01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
HOLY Sh1t!!!!!!!!!! That is a Boat load of odds to beat!!!! If we ever meet I want you autograph!!! :rollside:
There was a couple of times there when I was on the ragged edge. Didn't think I would make through the night. Somehow I always survived. I quit all that sh!t all on my own. :notam:

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Doesn't it make you want to run out and throw a DVD of the Simpson in your car, program your GPS, and drive around until the movie is over and put on the commercial free satellite radio and hear someone say the "F" word over the airwaves?
God i love technology.

GHTRIM
01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
There was a couple of times there when I was on the ragged edge. Didn't think I would make through the night. Somehow I always survived. I quit all that sh!t all on my own. :notam:
Good otherwise you wouldn't be postin here with all the other peeps. :D

JustMVG
01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Born 1960, survivor of 4 decades 2 of them decadent, and no signs of trauma!!! Too many Cry Babies today!!!

mbrown2
01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
67 in da hizzle.....
Used to luv Skyrocket and BB Gun fights......

Burnout
01-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry to any Lawyers out there, but it's the friggin stupid ass lawsuits. Now, if kids get in a fight at school, no slap on the hand, you get suspended. If you have a pocket knife, expelled, beer, expelled, also if some other child is hurt by your child, lawsuit and therapy. Parents sue the school system and it scares the life out of the school. Plus, if you forget one thing with your own kid, child protective services. Man, no wonder why parents dont let the kids out of the house. It friggin amazes me. I live on a street with tons of kids, and they never play outside. I am alomost shocked. I was out from dawn to street lights, and had a blast. Imagine that today? :frown: Then there are frivilous lawsuits around every corner, and dont get me started on that!

Burnout
01-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Did you notice something here? All the people who played outside like to play outside still...We all have boats and love it! All I want to do is get outside and the winter kills me.

shueman
01-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Born in the 40's , still here :D
DITTO..!! :rollside:

LUVNLIFE
01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
68' here and all that is true. It was a dif time. Def still want to be outside though :D

haulina29
01-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Great post

uncle larry
01-27-2005, 06:50 PM
a product of the 50's here.........
so what did all those things do to us?
lets see - we hang out in the channel
the ladies wear pasties.....
all of us probabaly drink to much........
we run away ot the lake/river every chance we get
we spend thouands of dollars to go 5 mph faster in a boat
a weekend is only good if we get to hang at kokomo's
nope i guess we are not suffering any after effects
at least none that i can remember..........
see u at the boat show or on the lake sooon