PDA

View Full Version : Input/opinions Wanted !!!!

SOMEBEACH
01-27-2005, 06:05 PM
My wife and I plan on buying a 24' Ultra Stealth in a few months. We plan on getting the walk thru cuddy model with the 496 Mag/bravo 1 powerplant.We have been boating on Lake Mohave for a long time,but this will be our first boat purchase. Any input or opinions about this particular boat would be greatly appreciated!! THANKYOU :confused:

charlyox
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
make sure you get the 496mag H.O it's 425 H.P. as opposed the the mag that is only 375H.P

jdogginla
01-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Just a lil info...........great boat and great choice of boat! Nashvillebound has a great 24 Ultra for sale. Lots of extra's and he keeps it clean. You should PM him.......great boat for less $$$ than a new one. Just my .02

LUVNLIFE
01-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey shoot a PM to Raff or DMVQueen, they got one and love it. Saw it last weekend and it is nice ;)

jbtrailerjim
01-27-2005, 06:40 PM
make sure you get the 496mag H.O it's 425 H.P. as opposed the the mag that is only 375H.P
Waste of money IMO. He might get an extra 2 or 3 mph out of it. The engines are virtually the same with the exception of a different cam and the program in the ECU is different.
Somebeach, Congrats on the new Ultra. The 24 Stealth is a sweet boat. Your gonna love it. The folks at Ultra are great people to deal with. I don't have a 24 Stealth but I love love my 247XS. There is few folks on here on the boards that have the 24 Stealth. They all seem to be very pleased with them. Good luck and enjoy the new boat.

ChumpChange
01-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey shoot a PM to Raff or DMVQueen, they got one and love it. Saw it last weekend and it is nice ;)
BankBoy also has one. Its a great boat, I've been on it many times to wakeboard behind. He bought his last year at the LA Boat show. Everything on it is top notch. He got the HO and sees the 70 mark in it.

DEMOMAN
01-27-2005, 07:05 PM
We run our 24 on Mojave alot, you will be very pleased with the ride. I went with the HO, I figured if your gonna spend that much you might as well.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Buy as much motor as you can afford. PM THOR as I think he has that boat.

sandstorm
01-27-2005, 07:12 PM
I have a like new caliber 1 21' its a great boat and has the 454mag in it bravo 1 drive power is great. we are at mojave cottonwood cove every weekend in the summer. (first cove to the south of the boat ramp).

jbtrailerjim
01-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Buy as much motor as you can afford. PM THOR as I think he has that boat.
No, THOR has a 247XS with 496MagHO.

INSman
01-27-2005, 07:17 PM
You might want to get the MAG and have Whipple reprogram your ECU for $900 and be all dialed in for the extra HP and RPM's, instead of the HO for $3,500+ !!

Kilrtoy
01-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Nice boat and will move along nicely, I dont care for the walk thru on that size boat. I would get a closed or a mid cuddy....

TCHB
01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Is the 24 steal a true 24????

LilHarley
01-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes, the 24' Stealth is a true 24'. There is no molded swimstep. I think you will like the Ultra, I know we have. It was everything and more then what I was shopping for. The 496 Mag puts me right 67 with 1/2 tank and 2 people on small chop at Havasu now. I haven't had it W/O for very long, still taking it easy.
Ultra was a pleasure to work with. John is incredible drawing up your graphics. He definitely makes you feel like family. Steve will help you through the sales, never pushing, just helping. Mike at Ultra Performance is amazing at putting everything in it's place and the way you want it when it comes to rigging. I had them build me steps under the driver and passenger seats and they came out great.
If you have any questions for a new Ultra owner and want to talk, give a message and we can talk. I'll answer anything I can. Good luck ... :supp:

THOR
01-27-2005, 08:14 PM
I have the 247 which is not a true 24'. The stealth is though. It is a very nice boat. But, IMO, the cuddy seats are very small and I have rarely seen them used. I opted not to get the cuddy on mine and used one side for a custom cooler storage (free from Ultra) and the other side is enclosed storage (free from Ultra). I had a GPS with me last summer and hit 78.9 mph with a labbed 4 blade. But, I had about 10 gallons of gas, no gear and one other dude with me. That is it. But, I can cruise at 65 mph all day long with the 496HO.
I had a few options that I feel I really wanted and are cool. Dana trim tabs which are way faster than other brands in terms of response. Dana scissor hinges for the engine hatch and a few little custom interior mods that I wanted. Also I went with the Gaffrig control package with is bitchin.
Here are a few shots
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/42untitled.bmp
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/468DSC01061-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/468DSC01062-med.JPG

beer hunter
01-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Thor, you didn't post a picture of your prop ;) :D
SOMEBEACH, to hell with the engine upgrade, get the biggest prop you can afford :D
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-08301-Thor_s_Prop.jpg

a catered life
01-27-2005, 08:33 PM
holla at my bud raff or dmvqueen pretty sure thats what they just got. theres is in the january issue of hot boat so you can read up on some real stat real nice boat

THOR
01-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Thor, you didn't post a picture of your prop ;) :D
SOMEBEACH, to hell with the engine upgrade, get the biggest prop you can afford :D
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-2-08301-Thor_s_Prop.jpg
Focker. I wont wait for you to catch up anymore after that last comment.

beer hunter
01-27-2005, 08:39 PM
:D :D :D

LilHarley
01-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Hey Thor, how much did you pick up on your labbed 4 blade. I'm thinking of taking mine down and Bronson Hill said from 2-4 mph faster. Sound about right? By the way, put the Dana tabs on mine as well and really like them!

Scream
01-27-2005, 09:25 PM
As long as you're sold on the boat, which is very nice I might add, you should get as much motor as possible as has been stated before. Regardless of what you get, you'll want more, it's a given.
Oh, and buy lots of Mr. Clean magic erasers, cause you'll be cleanin it every 15 minutes the first year or so...lol
Scream

NashvilleBound
01-28-2005, 05:28 AM
Like I said in the PM...regardless of which Ultra model you end up with you will be happy. John will help you with anything you need also. Send me that list so you start off on the right foot....so to speak... :D :D

NuckinFutz
01-28-2005, 07:32 AM
I'd go with the HO not only for the extra 50 pony's, but you get a stonger outdrive. The MAG will save you money and granted you can use that money to boost your MAG's power, but remember it has to get to the water from the stock Bravo1. Just my uneducated and biased opinion.

THOR
01-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey Thor, how much did you pick up on your labbed 4 blade. I'm thinking of taking mine down and Bronson Hill said from 2-4 mph faster. Sound about right? By the way, put the Dana tabs on mine as well and really like them!
Take your prop to York propellors instead. 2-4 mph is normal for a 'good' lab job. 200-300 rpm too. I had some cup taken out as well which helped.

Dribble
01-28-2005, 07:55 AM
My input is that I'm jealous. I think the 24 Stealth is a bitchin boat. I like the fact that it has jump seats as well as a cuddy area.

Dribble
01-28-2005, 07:57 AM
You might want to get the MAG and have Whipple reprogram your ECU for $900 and be all dialed in for the extra HP and RPM's, instead of the HO for $3,500+ !!
The HO also uses a different cam than the Mag. The earlier ones also used a steel crank but now they all use cast.

sigepmock
01-28-2005, 09:57 AM
We bought our 21' Stealth last year and love it. Ultra treated us top notch the entire time and even got our boat to us earlier than expected, beat the build time by two weeks. Their customer service has been top of the line since then also. We have a good friend with the 24 and the 496 HO and have ridden in it a few times and love it. We would have bought the 24 but just couldn't justify the $$$ for the bigger boat when there is just the two of us for now.
Chris

Second "PLACE"
01-28-2005, 11:13 AM
I'd go with the HO not only for the extra 50 pony's, but you get a stonger outdrive. The MAG will save you money and granted you can use that money to boost your MAG's power, but remember it has to get to the water from the stock Bravo1. Just my uneducated and biased opinion.
I would have to agree here. The outdrive is often forgoten about when increasing power. I have the 496HO with the Bravo1/Speedmaster lower leg..........I would have loved to afford the 525HP but I had to stop somewhere. :D

Captain Dan
01-28-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a 2004, 24' Ultra Stealth with the 496 HO, and I love it. I've had it since Memorial Day of last year, had it out on Mohave and Havasu - it's a great boat - lots of room inside - great for hauling all the family stuff around.
Ultra is a great builder to work with and their product is first-rate.
As far as the mag v. HO, I couldn't say - I don;t know anyone that has a mag for me to do a side by side comparison. I'm sure that 50 ponies does do a great deal of good out of the hole, if not at top speed.

Unforgiven
01-28-2005, 12:09 PM
My wife and I plan on buying a 24' Ultra Stealth in a few months. We plan on getting the walk thru cuddy model with the 496 Mag/bravo 1 powerplant.We have been boating on Lake Mohave for a long time,but this will be our first boat purchase. Any input or opinions about this particular boat would be greatly appreciated!! THANKYOU :confused:
don't do like the rest of us...buy the bigger boat now

Purple23xs
02-04-2005, 02:07 PM
My 24 Stealth was delivered in mid-May 2004 and, it too, is powered by an HO. Per John West, mine is one of a handfull of closed bow 24 Stealths. It handles the Havasu rough stuff OK and has been GPS'd at 74.9 mph. The 24 Stealth, in my opinion, is the best boat for the money and almost everyone gives Ultra high marks in customer service. Good value and good customer service together are not that easy to come by in the California custom boat industry. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ultracrazy
02-05-2005, 12:04 AM
I just stepped up to the 24 stealth from the 21 version. I was going to go with the mag but decided to spend the extra cash on the HO......didn't want the regret factor to creep up on me. As a matter of fact....I upgraded everything on the boat.....Dana scissor hinges.....big stereo with remotes.....Livorsi gauges...off shore controls......etc.......couldn't be happier!! Of course, I can't thank Steve and John West enough for handling the deal......thanks guys.

Bre
02-05-2005, 12:08 AM
I think you will be very happy with it and everyone at Ultra. I have heard nothing but good things about them and their boats. Let us know what happens. I am sure they will take very good care of you :smile:

LAPII
02-05-2005, 12:15 AM
If you can try to get the 525 motor, if you can't pull that then do the upgrade to the XR, bcuz you will definitely want more power in the future. Take in consideration desert heat, ice chests, people, gear, and fuel. Then you wish you would have done the HO, even though it's only fifty HP. Nice boat though.

Kilrtoy
02-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Go with the 575 Merc motor, you will be very surprised at the actually price, TRUST ME.... and you will not regret it....

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-05-2005, 12:59 AM
You only get a Bravo1 drive with the MAG & HO motors.....
You get a XR drive starting with the 525.....
CJG

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-05-2005, 01:02 AM
WOW......
That's not nice THOR........Don't worry though....I'll still wait for YOU!!
Hehe!!
CJG
:D

raff
02-05-2005, 07:38 AM
We got our 05 Ultra 24 Stealth last October. We couldn't be happier in it.
It handles the Havasu chop like you couldn't believe, and will echo everyone else who gave John and the crew at Ultra very high marks on customer service.
Didn't go with the HO, couldn't see spending the money for a few MPH more, looking at a better prop for the increased MPH.
We have the walk through with the midcabin seating, I'm a big guy, and I even fit in the seats. Great to get out of the sun for a bit.
Pick up the January 05 issue of Hot Boat Magazine, on page 82 they give a great write up on the handling. BTW, that boat on page 82 is in my driveway!!!!!
Enjoy your new Ultra!! (if you get it)
Mark out

Sane Asylum
02-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Get as much motor as you possibly can afford.......You'll appreciate it down the road and it's a tremendous resale kicker. Underpowered used boats aren't that popular.

voodoomedman
02-05-2005, 12:15 PM
PM me with any questions. You will love that boat and the service from everyone at San Diego and the guys in Corona (factory showroom a little closer to home). I've hit 69 loaded up with gear and 80 gallons of fuel in the morning. I got the ice chest on one side. I also have the cuddy walk through. Seat on one side. If you are taller and will be in the seat all the time then you have to lean towards one side as the head room is limited because there is so much room in the rest of the boat. Really think about this. We never sit down there. It always has our food bag on it. If we want shade then the bimini comes up and everybody gets shade. I have the 496 mag and am very pleased. It's a great motor for that boat. Between the 496 mag and the HO save 5 or 6 grand and get the Mag. It's not that much difference for the money. If you want more motor get and HP 525 or 575 or whatever like Kilr said. Just be prepared to deal with the maintenance of a racing motor over a production motor. Your gonna love this thing. Call Ultra now and you may be able to get a better deal so early in the year and because the boat show is still on. Right now there is boat show pricing. You can also PM Ultra28, johnwithjm, or rvrtoy but they are all probably at the boat show right now. Any other questions let me know.

INSman
02-05-2005, 01:55 PM
You only get a Bravo1 drive with the MAG & HO motors.....
You get a XR drive starting with the 525.....
CJG
You can get the XR with the 496 HO now .... :)

BRSTQUEST
02-05-2005, 02:19 PM
I Own A '02 247 With The 496 Mag.....it Runs Around 68 To 70 Depending On Beer And Gas......my Experience With The Ultra Family Has Been First Rate.....for Service I Go To Tom Papp Racing In Corona Also Known As Inland Ultra.....i Would Highly Recommend Ultra To Anyone

LAPII
02-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Not true on the XR, I'm running an XR now with the HO. I knew down the line I would be upgrading power. At the time of the purchase it was way cheaper to upgrade the drive as it was to do the 525.

rrrr
02-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Waste of money IMO. He might get an extra 2 or 3 mph out of it. The engines are virtually the same with the exception of a different cam and the program in the ECU is different.
Somebeach, Congrats on the new Ultra. The 24 Stealth is a sweet boat. Your gonna love it. The folks at Ultra are great people to deal with. I don't have a 24 Stealth but I love love my 247XS. There is few folks on here on the boards that have the 24 Stealth. They all seem to be very pleased with them. Good luck and enjoy the new boat.
Good advice. We have an '04 boat with the 496 HO. I thought the extra 50 horses was way overpriced, and the HO has been a good reliable engine. Save the $4K for boat goodies and trips. You'll never miss the extra power.

rrrr
02-05-2005, 07:11 PM
I would have to agree here. The outdrive is often forgoten about when increasing power. I have the 496HO with the Bravo1/Speedmaster lower leg..........I would have loved to afford the 525HP but I had to stop somewhere. :D
Several posts in this thread mention 525 HP..... It's 425 HP.

Brooski
02-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Several posts in this thread mention 525 HP..... It's 425 HP.
Ron, I dare you to bring ALL of your boats to CBBBB. :p

voodoomedman
02-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Good advice. We have an '04 boat with the 496 HO. I thought the extra 50 horses was way overpriced, and the HO has been a good reliable engine. Save the $4K for boat goodies and trips. You'll never miss the extra power.
Exactly right. The real benefit to the HO is that it is supposed to be built to handle performance upgrades and such better. Especially with the XR drive because the regular bravo 1 can only handle up to 400 horsepower and that's why you get it with the 496 mag at 375 horsepower. Instead of spending an extra 5 grand on the HO and then having to put whipples or Raylar or whatever the heck then just buy a racing engine in the first place. Just my humble opinion.