Captain
Navigator
Quartermaster
Officer of the Deck
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1286web_050127-N-4658L-030.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1286web_050127-N-4658L-015.jpg

Freak
01-28-2005, 05:58 AM
It's interesting they can set that thing up on the keel with blocks.

RiverOtter
01-28-2005, 06:00 AM
I thought those things could take a hit better than that. How did it not sink with all that hull just missing? :jawdrop:

Freak
01-28-2005, 06:03 AM
The LA class has a sonar dome in the bow which is outside the pressure hull. Looks like it hit the dome which acted like a shock absorber which must have helped cushion the blow. I dont know if the pressure hull was breached.

JetBoatRich
01-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Little bit of JB weld and it will be under water again :confused:
It must not be a good feeling to in that thing when it hit :yuk:

Windy
01-28-2005, 06:05 AM
I thought those things could take a hit better than that. How did it not sink with all that hull just missing? :jawdrop:
With watertight integrity...and damage control.

Freak
01-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Little bit of JB weld and it will be under water again :confused:
It must not be a good feeling to in that thing when it hit :yuk:
LOL Hell yeah finish pulling the tarp over the bad spot and seal her up with duct tape. Good to Go.

lucky
01-28-2005, 06:41 AM
i wonder if seamen spueeed out the end ?

spectratoad
01-28-2005, 06:56 AM
As Miss HBJ said. Watertight integrity. I was on a dew ships and they ingrain it into you that when you are at sea there are certain hatches(doors) that remain closed. That creates your watertight integrity. You can flood an entire section of the ship and still float. Those specific door maintain that sections watertigh integrity.
Yes I am sure there was a few "reassignments". I think I heard that Captain is now driving a desk while the investigation is going on.

Hustler
01-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Is there any more info on this some where? I never heard about this fender bender.

Havasu Hangin'
01-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Is there any more info on this some where? I never heard about this fender bender.
I heard they hit a reef that was not mapped?

Havasu_Dreamin
01-28-2005, 08:45 AM
That's some serious damage. When did this happen? Recently? Or is the sub that was damaged when it hit that Japanese boat off of Hawaii a few years back?

Freak
01-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Damn doesn't anyone watch the news? J/K :D
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Navy has published the first photographs of the damaged nuclear attack submarine USS San Francisco now in dry dock in Guam.
The submarine's front end was severely damaged when the submarine struck an undersea mountain 350 miles south of Guam on January 8.
Machinist Mate 2nd Class Joseph Allen Ashley, 24, of Akron, Ohio, died of injuries suffered in the accident, which occurred when the submarine was en route to Brisbane, Australia.
A Navy official said the submarine went into dry dock on January 26.
Divers cut off the sonar dome from the front end beforehand because it was "hanging," the official said, but otherwise the damage visible on the submarine occurred in the accident.
The pictures show extensive damage to the outer hull of the vessel, whose front end was virtually destroyed.
The inner hull was not penetrated.
The pictures also show a blue tarp covering classified equipment at the sub's front end.
The Navy official said it now appears the undersea mountain was not on the navigation charts the crew was using.
The incident remains under investigation, and the commander has been reassigned pending the outcome of that inquiry.
The Associated Press reported last week that Cmdr. Kevin Mooney was reassigned to a unit in Guam pending the completion of the investigation, citing a statement from the U.S. 7th Fleet.
The USS San Francisco carried a crew of 137, 60 of whom were injured in the accident.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Had heard nothing about that. Well, if the mountain wasn't on teh charts, how can anyone on the ship be blamed?

Freak
01-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Someone will be blamed. Too much $$$$ to not point the finger at someone. Does the NAVY have insurance? :) Kidding. I know we the people pay.

bonesfab
01-28-2005, 08:57 AM
did you see the bubble a little ways back... talk about a little force!! looks like they tried to bubble flair it.... :supp:

Freak
01-28-2005, 08:59 AM
did you see the bubble a little ways back... talk about a little force!! looks like they tried to bubble flair it.... :supp:
Yeah I was wondering if that was from the impact. How do you fix damage like that?

Freak
01-28-2005, 09:00 AM
They hit a wall at 35 knots.

WYRD
01-28-2005, 09:07 AM
i wonder if seamen spueeed out the end ?
Seamen or Seimen???????

UnionJack
01-28-2005, 09:39 AM
people..... so lost there job, for an 18 year old's mistake

spectras only
01-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I think these subs need a longer periscope to see where
they're going :hammer2: :D

superdave013
01-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I bet Some careers are OVER!!!!!
Captain
Navigator
Quartermaster
Officer of the Deck
Or maybe Machinist Mate 2nd Class Joseph Allen Ashley, 24, of Akron, Ohio :(

JetBoatRich
01-28-2005, 10:39 AM
(Jan. 28) - The Navy yesterday released photographs of the shredded bow of a nuclear submarine that ran into an undersea mountain earlier this month, and officials said they were still assessing the extent of the damage.
The photos were taken once the submarine, the San Francisco, limped back to Guam after smashing into the mountain, which was not on its navigational charts. The photos show that the head-on crash 500 feet below the ocean's surface destroyed a sonar dome that formed the submarine's nose and peeled back part of the outer hull.
The accident, which killed one sailor and injured 60 others, occurred on Jan. 8 about 360 miles southeast of Guam. Navy officials said the submarine's crew had to take emergency measures to blast to the surface and then keep the vessel afloat.
The submarine's stronger inner hull, which protects the crew's living and working spaces, held firm, preventing a possible disaster.
Lt. Cmdr. Jeff Davis, a spokesman for the Pacific Fleet, said yesterday that the sonar dome, made of fiberglass, shattered in the crash and that parts of the dome were hanging loosely when the submarine returned to port.
Talk About It
· Chat | Post Messages
He said the dome, which carries sonar gear, is normally flooded with water, adding that the water there, along with water in the vessel's forward ballast tanks, probably helped cushion the blow and keep the inner hull intact.
Norman Polmar, an author and analyst on Navy issues, agreed that the water, which fills the tanks when a submarine dives, "certainly would have protected and cushioned the inner hull and the crew inside."
The photos also show two doors that shuttered torpedo hatches. Commander Davis said they held and did not flood. In taking the photos, he said, the Navy placed a tarpaulin over the remaining sonar gear because the technology is classified.
Commander Davis also said no decision had been made about repairing the submarine or what that might cost.
The San Francisco, an attack submarine, was commissioned in 1981. Its nuclear reactor, which was not damaged, was refueled in 2002 during a $200 million overhaul meant to extend the vessel's life.
More From the Times
· A Day of Loss and Dreams Cut Short
· In Mosul, Voters Will Need a Shield of Snipers
· A Taste of Big-City Politicking in Basra
After the crash, sailors had to run an air blower for 30 hours to limit the water pouring in through holes in the forward ballast tanks and keep the vessel from sinking too low to maneuver.
Navy officials have said the San Francisco was traveling at high speed, more than 30 knots, when the crash occurred. They have reassigned its captain while investigators determine whether he bears any blame.
Military officials have said that the submarine's main chart was prepared in 1989 and did not show any potential hazards within three miles of the crash site. Satellite images taken since then show the wedge-shaped outline of the undersea mountain. But officials have said the agency that prepared the charts had never had the resources to use the satellite data to improve them.
Also yesterday, Kent D. Lee, the chief executive of East View Cartographic Inc., a map company based in Minneapolis, said Russian Navy charts indicate more hazards in that part of the ocean than were on the American charts, though they also fail to show the undersea mountain.
Mr. Lee said the Russian charts have been available for five years. He said one of the Russian charts noted that the area where the crash occurred had been "insufficiently surveyed." It also warned: "Cautionary measures should be taken when sailing."

Seadog
01-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, crews are taught to not use the sonar which could have prevented this because sonar will give away position in combat. The Captain's career advancement is over and the XO may have more difficulty getting a boat. The Navy is very unforgiving about accidents even when the fault is outside of the boat's crew control. Considering the cost of a boat and the number of good men wanting promotion, they can afford to be picky
Of course, if you think about it, how would you like to be doing 35 mph in anything without being able to see where you are going?

Dr. Eagle
01-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, crews are taught to not use the sonar which could have prevented this because sonar will give away position in combat. The Captain's career advancement is over and the XO may have more difficulty getting a boat. The Navy is very unforgiving about accidents even when the fault is outside of the boat's crew control. Considering the cost of a boat and the number of good men wanting promotion, they can afford to be picky
Of course, if you think about it, how would you like to be doing 35 mph in anything without being able to see where you are going?
I remember when the USS Enterprise was coming in to port at Alameda NAS in 1982/3 and the Harbor Pilot missed the channel. I was working on a High Rise Hotel at the time and we watched as it tipped over to the Starboard. Looked really wierd as the tide went out and the ship listed to starboard like wayyyyyyyyy over....That was the end of that Captain's Career.

mbrown2
01-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Wonder if they sent the props back to Mercury for some relabbing? :confused:

Dr. Eagle
01-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Wonder if they sent the props back to Mercury for some relabbing? :confused:
I bet they did, and replaced the blower belts, just to be safe... :D