PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Registration Fee Increase

Boatcop
01-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Thought I'd let you all know that there is a bill in the Arizona Senate to do away with the Vessel License Tax.
In return there will be an increase in the Registration Fee. Fishing and Hunting licenses will also go up if the bill passes.
The full text of the proposed law is in the link I put at the bottom, but here is what's being asked for:
For Resident owners:
TWELVE FEET AND LESS $20.00
TWELVE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTEEN FEET $22.00
SIXTEEN FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY FEET $30.00
TWENTY FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY-SIX FEET $35.00
TWENTY-SIX FEET ONE INCH THROUGH THIRTY-NINE FEET $39.00
THIRTY-NINE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTY-FOUR FEET $44.00
SIXTY-FOUR FEET ONE INCH AND OVER $66.00
Non Resident:
TWELVE FEET AND LESS $100.00
TWELVE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTEEN FEET $110.00
SIXTEEN FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY FEET $222.00
TWENTY FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY-SIX FEET $259.00
TWENTY-SIX FEET ONE INCH THROUGH THIRTY-NINE FEET $292.00
THIRTY-NINE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTY-FOUR FEET $330.00
SIXTY-FOUR FEET ONE INCH AND GREATER $495.00
It also reduces the percentage alloted to the State Lake Improvement Fund and Law Enforcement and Boating Safety Fund from 55% to 35%. I don't know how much it would affect these programs, since the percentage reduction may be off-set by the fee increase.
As of right now, this is just a proposal, and would have to be approved by both houses of the Legislature and signed by the Governor.
Full text: Arizona Senate Bill 1365 (http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/47leg/1r/bills/sb1365p.htm)

Jrocket
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
$244 increase for me,thats not good.What do the people get from this new idea?

Kilrtoy
01-28-2005, 05:16 PM
What the F@@@
wow

bear down
01-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Sucks..but still cheaper than Cali!!!
Thought I'd let you all know that there is a bill in the Arizona Senate to do away with the Vessel License Tax.
In return there will be an increase in the Registration Fee. Fishing and Hunting licenses will also go up if the bill passes.
The full text of the proposed law is in the link I put at the bottom, but here is what's being asked for:
For Resident owners:
TWELVE FEET AND LESS $20.00
TWELVE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTEEN FEET $22.00
SIXTEEN FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY FEET $30.00
TWENTY FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY-SIX FEET $35.00
TWENTY-SIX FEET ONE INCH THROUGH THIRTY-NINE FEET $39.00
THIRTY-NINE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTY-FOUR FEET $44.00
SIXTY-FOUR FEET ONE INCH AND OVER $66.00
Non Resident:
TWELVE FEET AND LESS $100.00
TWELVE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTEEN FEET $110.00
SIXTEEN FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY FEET $222.00
TWENTY FEET ONE INCH THROUGH TWENTY-SIX FEET $259.00
TWENTY-SIX FEET ONE INCH THROUGH THIRTY-NINE FEET $292.00
THIRTY-NINE FEET ONE INCH THROUGH SIXTY-FOUR FEET $330.00
SIXTY-FOUR FEET ONE INCH AND GREATER $495.00
It also reduces the percentage alloted to the State Lake Improvement Fund and Law Enforcement and Boating Safety Fund from 55% to 35%. I don't know how much it would affect these programs, since the percentage reduction may be off-set by the fee increase.
As of right now, this is just a proposal, and would have to be approved by both houses of the Legislature and signed by the Governor.
Full text: Arizona Senate Bill 1365 (http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/47leg/1r/bills/sb1365p.htm)

JB in so cal
01-28-2005, 05:18 PM
AZ has been taking in a TON of Kalifornia registrations, eh? :eek:
Including mine.

Boatcop
01-28-2005, 05:21 PM
$244 increase for me,thats not good.What do the people get from this new idea?
If the reduction of Grant fund allotments from 55% to 35% results in less money for these funds, you'll see a reduction in Law Enforcement and Rescue services, and a reduction in Lake based amenities such as public Launch Ramps, Parks , Restrooms, Waterway Markings, New Lake Development, etc.
I really like (sarcasm) the line that says: "THESE MONIES ARE SUBJECT TO LEGISLATIVE APPROPRIATION."
What that means is that the Legislature can rape these monies for any purpose that they see fit.

Kilrtoy
01-28-2005, 05:28 PM
I know alot of people would be happy, but we need more cops on the lake and even more rescue personnel......

Floored
01-28-2005, 05:32 PM
they can't cut boatcop, can they? we need at least 1 "person" in our corner. :lightsabe mine is $12.10 now so maybe I'll renew for 2 years. :idea:

Jrocket
01-28-2005, 05:35 PM
you'll see a reduction in Law Enforcement and Rescue services, and a reduction in Lake based amenities such as public Launch Ramps, Parks , Restrooms, Waterway Markings, New Lake Development, etc.
Thats not a good thing at all.Im not that fond of the new noise laws but i do like having the law around to do their jobs.

4-B
01-28-2005, 05:42 PM
:2purples: That is not right.

4-B
01-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Ill have to check the difference in registration in CA vs AZ now. I'd rather give it it AZ.... but I will go with the least expensive.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Even at $292 it's still WAY cheaper than CA.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Ill have to check the difference in registration in CA vs AZ now. I'd rather give it it AZ.... but I will go with the least expensive.
Keep in mind, in CA you will be assessed 1% of the boats purchase price in additional property taxes, so on a $50k boat, that is $500 extra.

Beautiful Noise
01-28-2005, 11:07 PM
If this happens I guess it might be back to California for my Boat,Besides 1% of the Price of the Boat which is 29 years old will be alot cheaper.

Kachina26
01-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Boat Cop, I don't know if you have the answer to this. But, what makes one eligible to legally register as an Az resident? Just an Az address, or actual fulltime residence????? I will have one before the other and wouldn't mind taking advantage of resident status as soon as possible, but I want to do it legally. I would feel stupid getting in trouble over $200 .

Boatcop
01-29-2005, 11:03 AM
But, what makes one eligible to legally register as an Az resident?
According to the law, to qualify as a "resident" the person must have any vehicles required to be registered, registered in Arizona, Driver's license in Arizona, work in Arizona, registered, or be eligible to be registered to vote in Arizona, have children attending school in Arizona, or any of the other things that make one a "resident".
Just owning property, as in a vacation home, doesn't qualify.
I think AZGFD has been lax in enforcing this provision, instead relying on the mailing address, so those who get their registration papers mailed to their Arizona vacation home are getting the "Resident" rate.
Because of the potential loss of huge revenues from this change, I have a feeling that if this goes through, they will be verifying the "resident" status of boat owners and applying the law as written.
Because of the budget crisis in AZ right now, they may be reviewing "resident" status anyway, just to make sure they're getting what is legally theirs.

Desert Rat
01-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Sucks..but still cheaper than Cali!!!
Not once the boat gets a few years old it's not!