PDA

View Full Version : Garage flooring?

JLaughreySS24
01-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Anybody install racedeck garage floor tile in their garage? If so, I would like to know if you like it or have a better suggestion or product for a tile floor. Thanks

JetBoatRich
01-29-2005, 08:27 PM
There has been a few threads on this :wink:
Epoxy? (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59715&highlight=garage+floor)
Floor Covering (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43927&highlight=garage+floor)

PHX ATC
01-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Yup.
Got the idea from HotDiggityDog, I do believe.
Hopefully, I can post a picture.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/228Stuff3_082-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/228Stuff3_083-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/228Stuff3_085-med.jpg

PHX ATC
01-29-2005, 08:59 PM
The glue is a messy proposition at best, get's everywhere. Wear crappy clothes, gloves that you will throw away, and try to be manly about it and do it all at once. I was a weenie, took 3 different times to do it, went through 4 pairs of gloves, cut several layers of skin off my arms due to the glue sticking...then I found mineral spirits and wallah, no more glue issues.
Of course you could be smart and hire somebody to do it, don't be cheap like me.
I figured I paid $600 to paint the garage, lay I-O carpet on the "up" step, and tile the rest. 3 car garage, normal depth in AZ.
Good luck.

al cole'holic
01-29-2005, 09:13 PM
..if you're looking for quick and easy interlocking Costco sell MotoFloor for $130/48sq' boxes :D

JetBoatRich
01-29-2005, 09:24 PM
..if you're looking for quick and easy interlocking Costco sell MotoFloor for $130/48sq' boxes :D
Had to look it up :cool: Looks like it will work :cool: Thanks
Costco Floor (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?prodid=11004805&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1)

JLaughreySS24
01-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Yea, I checked those threads out already, but didnt know if anyone tried out other products. I didnt know Costco had tiles either!! If anyone knows someone that has a connection, let me know. I cant make up my mind if epoxy or the tiles are the way to go!!!!!

JLaughreySS24
01-29-2005, 09:49 PM
PHC ATC, The floor turned out great!!!

JLaughreySS24
01-29-2005, 11:26 PM
I would also think that water would get under the tile and cause wildew.

Waist Deep
01-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Whats wrong with epoxy?

Mandelon
01-30-2005, 07:50 AM
I did the Lifedeck epoxy coat. It was serious work. Grind the slab, primer coat one day, base coat and chips the next day, clear coat the next day, and cover with a clear UV coat on the last day. Wait a couple more before driving on it. Almost $1000 in materials and equipment. Plus 5 days of messy work.
Looks awesome though.
www.lifedeck.com

JLaughreySS24
01-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Sounds like it turned out real nice but just dont want to deal with the shit you just explained. If the Racedeck or other tiles seem to work out good, its only 5 hours of installation and your done. Plus if you move you can take it with you!!!

Skaterfast
01-30-2005, 11:57 AM
I have a customer called I.C.T in Escondido that does really bitchen garages. Here's their # 800 945-8228. Talk to Tim and tell him Mike McClaran sent you.

JLaughreySS24
01-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Sounds great!! Thanks Does he do epoxy or tiled floors??

ROZ
01-30-2005, 02:08 PM
The glue is a messy proposition at best, get's everywhere. Wear crappy clothes, gloves that you will throw away, and try to be manly about it and do it all at once. I was a weenie, took 3 different times to do it, went through 4 pairs of gloves, cut several layers of skin off my arms due to the glue sticking...then I found mineral spirits and wallah, no more glue issues.
Of course you could be smart and hire somebody to do it, don't be cheap like me.
I figured I paid $600 to paint the garage, lay I-O carpet on the "up" step, and tile the rest. 3 car garage, normal depth in AZ.
Good luck.
Toby, Floor looks great. Did you use the 1/8" vinyl tiles HDD suggested? Where did you get them?

PHX ATC
01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Toby, Floor looks great. Did you use the 1/8" vinyl tiles HDD suggested? Where did you get them?
Yup.
Home Cheapo, er, I mean Depot! :rollside:

Daytona19
01-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I did racedeak and it wasnt to bad to install and actually looks pretty nice. It holds up well but in the summer I do have a buckle in one spot as the sun hits it with door open. I think that is my fault and I didnt give it enough room on the edges and will fix that this summer. I have pictures in the hot boat picture section.

Woodster
01-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Roz do u need a floor done?? Ill hook ya up with an epoxy floor. Let me know. I owe ya a couple favors :rollside:

Daytona19
01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I did racedeak and it wasnt to bad to install and actually looks pretty nice. It holds up well but in the summer I do have a buckle in one spot as the sun hits it with door open. I think that is my fault and I didnt give it enough room on the edges and will fix that this summer. I have pictures in the hot boat picture section.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg

Blownboat
01-30-2005, 07:35 PM
This is my garage. If you do vct tile it is very critical what your choice of glue is because of the friction of tires and the temp variation..I also have discovered a very good product to seal it with that is not affected by tires.. I am in the flooring busisness, let me know if I can be of any help! :)http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9599

JLaughreySS24
01-31-2005, 09:03 AM
Both of your floors look real nice!!! Daytona, what did the tile run you if you dont mind me asking? The best price ive found is 2.50 a sqft.

Waist Deep
01-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Did You have to shotblast first?

Daytona19
01-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Both of your floors look real nice!!! Daytona, what did the tile run you if you dont mind me asking? The best price ive found is 2.50 a sqft.
I want to say it was just under 600.00 to do the whole floor. That included edge pieces (beveled) which is the part you drive up onto to. It took me 4 or 5 hours to lay it out & cut to fit. Race deck was very cool in the sense that they cut me a deal on "seconds" and saved me some cash, thats why the price was pretty good and you cant tell anything wrong with them. My cement was not in good shape so the cracks would have looked horrible with an applied product so the race deck covered the cracks and dressed it up all at the same time. Remember if you have a drain to get their tile that lets water thru for that section!! Goodluck in whatever you do. But if you deal with them they were pretty flexable with me so stick to your guns.

JLaughreySS24
01-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Daytona, Thanks for all the info!!! My last question is when you pull a car onto it after it rains and the water goes through the seams, does it mildew?

Daytona19
02-01-2005, 03:05 AM
My floor has a goos slope to it and any water seams to run to the drain pretty quickly. I have 4 sections in the middle which are perferated and over the drain which works pretty well. I havent noticed any mildew smells or anything no matter if its the summer here or after the winter with all the snow and salt they used in Michigan. So far Im happy, its has made the floor look great and covered the cracks in the cement too. One thing I will say its a little loud while walking on it but its in the garage so no big deal to me.

Burnout
02-01-2005, 04:51 AM
I posted on another forum and I will restate what happenmed to me. I live in a very bad section of the country when it comes to moisture in the garage. My truck hits the snow almost 5 months out of the year. The snow melts in my garage and falls off onto the tile. Then in the spring, when things are warming up, I get a bad mildew smell. I had too much stagnant water under the tile deck. I removed the deck, then sealed the cement floor, and then re-applied the tiles. Again, the mildew came back! My garage floor does slope out, but no garage floor is troweled perfectly. Alot of areas remain where water will collect. If I had to do it over again, I would have had drains installed in the floor of my garage to remove the water. Then there might not have been an issue. Like I stated before, it probably would depend on where you live, the humidity levels and how much water you plan on bringing into the garage. For me, I removed the floor. It is much easier to remove the standing water than to deal with the terrible mildew smell which still haunts my gargage. Good Luck!

JLaughreySS24
02-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey Daytona, What kind of noise does your floor make? Do the tiles move and creek or sqeak when you walk on them?

Daytona19
02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
No they dont creek or move but when walking on them it kinda sounds like your walking down a hallway that is a pergo laminate floor. I mean you can hear someone walking on it if your in my kitchen which is connected off the garage. Its really not bad but like the same difference if you remove carpet and put down a laminate floor. As far as mildew again nothing yet in two years and I clean it down with industrial cleaner in the spring and hose it down 5 times a summer or so to keep it looking good.

Waist Deep
02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Epoxy shouldnt cost more than a grand and it wont squeak.