PDA

View Full Version : Modified Tunnel

Kahuna
01-30-2005, 08:28 PM
How do you think insurance companies handle tunnel boats like the Stoker or Cheetah. Do they see the difference between a CAT and a modified tunnel? Reason I ask because I saw that new Cobra modified tunnel. :idea:

MOBrien
01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
24' Cheetah Stiletto Tunnel .....................
We pay $592/yr for insurance.
That new Cobra was trippy.......kinda liked it :idea:

lokinutz
01-31-2005, 05:07 PM
My '88 Stoker was actually built and registered by Eliminator as a runabout. Costs less because it isn't classified as a tunnel on the registration. Don't know if that helps in your case. I pay $420 or so a year with a 30/100/30 policy and $15000 value.

jackpunx
02-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Add some power to it and see what they say.. Mine USED to have conventional insurance till I got honest with them.

Jordy
02-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Once you start talking about horsepower and top speed, they'll get wise, that is, if you actually want insurance to cover you when you need it. ;)

jackpunx
02-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Once you start talking about horsepower and top speed, they'll get wise, that is, if you actually want insurance to cover you when you need it. ;)
YEP!.. actually.. Stoker is on the BAD BAD BAD list from what I understand.. they are hip to MODVP now.. They know its a cat bottom and that they are race boats for the most part.. I know people with Stokers and other modvp's who have insurance.. but be carefull.... like Jordy said .. be honest.. they will hand you your money back and tell you to kick rocks

chub
02-01-2005, 10:33 AM
jackpunx and I have talked insurance. I have a STOKER and they are hip.....still looking.

lokinutz
02-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I was honest and upfront with my insurance. 200 H.P. approx 80 MPH. (O.K. 86GPS). I do have it under my umbrella house policy. Its Foremost through Farmer's. As you can see from my coverage, I dont to F around with insurance. Lived in LHC for 11 years and worked for the FD out there and saw my share of mishaps first hand. I was just trying to say it depends a lot on the registration. Nowhere does it say on any of my paperwork Stoker. Eliminator it does say, though. Runabout. Not vee, or tunnel, or anything else. Just trying to pass on my first hand experience.

mbrown2
02-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I wish my boat was registered as a run-about....that is pretty cool....wonder what Stoker register's them now as...
I figure unless Cobra lies about that new Mod VP, it will be classified as a modified vp which they intrepet as modified tunnel or tunnel.

thom
02-01-2005, 12:27 PM
they are catching on.. I think it was State Farm that gave me a bunch of @@@@ on mine.. they considered it yacht....
how funny is that.... anything over 28 is a yacht..
I bought a yacht and didnt even know it.. Since ive got a yacht i think im going to set sail for the mexico or thailand.. they really didnt care about the hull design, they were more concerned witht the engine hp

jackpunx
02-01-2005, 01:48 PM
I was honest and upfront with my insurance. 200 H.P. approx 80 MPH. (O.K. 86GPS). I do have it under my umbrella house policy. Its Foremost through Farmer's. As you can see from my coverage, I dont to F around with insurance. Lived in LHC for 11 years and worked for the FD out there and saw my share of mishaps first hand. I was just trying to say it depends a lot on the registration. Nowhere does it say on any of my paperwork Stoker. Eliminator it does say, though. Runabout. Not vee, or tunnel, or anything else. Just trying to pass on my first hand experience.
Mine is also an eliminator on paper.. and its called a V bottom..
its a 01 224
it had 800 hp when they dropped me..
I have no tickets or accidents on my record
they look at OB motors a little different I think.. I have a friend with a 20.5 with a 2.5 280merc and she is able to insure hers..
the point here is that the insurance companies no what a MODVP is.
I even sand bagged and said I was not sure what hp it had.. but it has a whipple on it..
they told me that it had about 700 hp and it would go at least 106..

lokinutz
02-01-2005, 02:09 PM
You and MB are right. No argument here. They do know what tunnels and mod vps are. If it is registered as a mod vp or a tunnel you are going to have to break out the checkbook for insurance.
Sounds like your ins. guy decided to educate himself about his craft, for once.
That's a bummer for you. Did they drop you at policy renewal or just out of the blue? You might try Foremost if you haven't already. May just be a waisted phone call though, with your HP.
I think I saw you at topock last summer. White with yellow and I think black or grey? You can just see the whipple out the cover? If that was you, That Thing Is Beautiful.

jackpunx
02-01-2005, 02:51 PM
You and MB are right. No argument here. They do know what tunnels and mod vps are. If it is registered as a mod vp or a tunnel you are going to have to break out the checkbook for insurance.
Sounds like your ins. guy decided to educate himself about his craft, for once.
That's a bummer for you. Did they drop you at policy renewal or just out of the blue? You might try Foremost if you haven't already. May just be a waisted phone call though, with your HP.
I think I saw you at topock last summer. White with yellow and I think black or grey? You can just see the whipple out the cover? If that was you, That Thing Is Beautiful.
Yep that was me..thanks for the compliments!
They dropped me for renewal.. and by then I didint tell them about the whipple.. so.. it was probably better that I didnt have a false sense of security.
Now I am under a manufactures ins.. so IM coverd for 2 mil on what ever I drive.. Im very greatfull that my buddy helped me on this.. I was looking for conventional insurance for a while... when they see that you have a boat that is less than 25' and goes over 100mph.. they wont touch you..
Now I have over 1100 HP .. so Im not even going to try..
I have talked to dozens of brokers who swore they could insure me... with no luck..