PDA

View Full Version : mead/mojave question

OC-PARTYCAT
01-31-2005, 03:06 PM
never been to either and wanted some feedback/comps to Havasu.
Is mead nicer than mojave? or are they the same thing.
Can you travel in a boat between the two?

Jordy
01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
You can boat between the two and it's easier going from Mead to Mohave by boat than vice versa, but it's going to be hard on your fiberglass as there is a dam in the way. ;)

HOOTER SLED-
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
BIg water when the wind picks up. Especially in the basin at Mojave. You want seclusion, go to Mead from Temple Bar to the east. Beautiful out there.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
You can boat between the two and it's easier going from Mead to Mohave by boat than vice versa, but it's going to be hard on your fiberglass as there is a dam in the way. ;)
it's not the fall that kills ya.......it's the sudden stop.
Seriously though, I've been to mohave lots and never to mead. Mohave has nasty wait times to launch and pull out. Getting a slip is impossible and if you are lucky enough to get one, you must have spent your entire afternoon waiting to see if they call your name. i'd rather be boating.
I want to go to mead and would like some advice too!

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
BIg water when the wind picks up. Especially in the basin at Mojave. You want seclusion, go to Mead from Temple Bar to the east. Beautiful out there.
what those little waves

cola
01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Go to Temple Bar @ lake Mead or Willow Beach on Mohave.

beer hunter
01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Both are nice lakes with plenty of coves and beaches, as Jordy said, you're probably better off not trying to jump over (or off) Hoover Dam :squiggle: Laughlin is close to Katharine’s Landing on Lake Mohave, maybe 15 minutes drive and Mead is huge and close to Vegas/Henderson. Check them both out, neither has the party atmosphere that Havasu has but that can be a good thing. :)

HOOTER SLED-
01-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Seriously though, I've been to mohave lots and never to mead. Mohave has nasty wait times to launch and pull out. Getting a slip is impossible and if you are lucky enough to get one, you must have spent your entire afternoon waiting to see if they call your name. i'd rather be boating.
I want to go to mead and would like some advice too!
You are talking about Katherine's Landing on the weekends. If you don't wanna wait, Drive up to Cottonwood. I launch out of Telephone Cove, even on holiday weekends. Takes maybe 15 minutes. Not paved out there though. And I only have a 21 footer. Ther are some really nice coves on Mojave too. Just head far enough North and the crowds disappear.
Rock-a-bye. Mead can get busy at the main marina just outside Boulder City. I've never been on the northwest side up near Echo or Calville Bay. My family had a mobile home at Temple Bar for 20 plus years. That place is great and never crowded. It's kinda off the beaten path. Beautiful scenery in that parts, especially as you head towards the Grand Canyon. The marina there has a motel and RV sites, etc. Similar to Katherines.

Phat Daddy
01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
You are talking about Katherine's Landing on the weekends. If you don't wanna wait, Drive up to Cottonwood. I launch out of Telephone Cove, even on holiday weekends. Takes maybe 15 minutes. Not paved out there though. And I only have a 21 footer. Ther are some really nice coves on Mojave too. Just head far enough North and the crowds disappear.
Rock-a-bye. Mead can get busy at the main marina just outside Boulder City. I've never been on the northwest side up near Echo or Calville Bay. My family had a mobile home at Temple Bar for 20 plus years. That place is great and never crowded. It's kinda off the beaten path. Beautiful scenery in that parts, especially as you head towards the Grand Canyon. The marina there has a motel and RV sites, etc. Similar to Katherines.
Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about :idea: Run it down man!!

rvrpig
01-31-2005, 04:29 PM
never been to either and wanted some feedback/comps to Havasu.
Is mead nicer than mojave? or are they the same thing.
Can you travel in a boat between the two?
If you could travel on a boat between them wouldn't that technically be the same lake? :confused:

Debbolas
01-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Lake Mead is a bit low, so watch for rocks....Big lake, windy at times, but so uncrowded compared to Havasu.
Lake Mohave, big lake, lots of little coves, the basin can get narly, Cottonwood cove and up is my favorite place.
You cannot travel between the two lakes as there is a dam.
How big is your boat?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Rock-a-bye. Mead can get busy at the main marina just outside Boulder City. I've never been on the northwest side up near Echo or Calville Bay. My family had a mobile home at Temple Bar for 20 plus years. That place is great and never crowded. It's kinda off the beaten path. Beautiful scenery in that parts, especially as you head towards the Grand Canyon. The marina there has a motel and RV sites, etc. Similar to Katherines.[/QUOTE]
thanks... Have you ever stayed that the Hacienda in Boulder?

dicudmore
01-31-2005, 04:36 PM
thanks... Have you ever stayed that the Hacienda in Boulder?
I haven't but I've known lots of boaters to stay there....
Several choices not too far off. Sunset Station too :cool:

dicudmore
01-31-2005, 04:37 PM
what else ya want to know? lots and lots of trips to both....

Debbolas
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
thanks... Have you ever stayed that the Hacienda in Boulder?[/QUOTE]
We stayed at the Hacienda in Boulder and got a boat slip at the Las Vegas Marina. The food at the Hacienda isn't THAT great. . . I actually missed my camping cooking....
I think we stayed at Echo Bay in the RV park, kinda sucked you had to take a tram down to the water, but the motel is close to the water.
Hallett Beach is nice, (where Scream kicked the prop and lost) :clover:
Lake Mead is just kinda far away for a weekend (for us)
We went on Memorial Day and didn't really wait to launch...Didicudmore is just bitter about his tickets.............LOL/jk ;)

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Lake Mead is a bit low, so watch for rocks....Big lake, windy at times, but so uncrowded compared to Havasu.
Lake Mohave, big lake, lots of little coves, the basin can get narly, Cottonwood cove and up is my favorite place.
You cannot travel between the two lakes as there is a dam.
How big is your boat?
I have a 22'....
I launch at katherines and usually don't go past the basin. Honestly, i didn't know there was much there....!!! How long a ride from Katherines to Cottonwood?
Would my 22' get pounded at Mead?

HOOTER SLED-
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
thanks... Have you ever stayed that the Hacienda in Boulder?[/QUOTE]
NO, but I hear it's decent.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Sorry OC Party----I didn't mean to jack your thread!!!! :hammerhea

OC-PARTYCAT
01-31-2005, 04:47 PM
a damn, huh...my bad. Your right, thats not good for the bottom of the boat.
what about houseboating. Is it worth the extra time to drive to mead? or just go to mohave. Im talking for a long weekend.

Debbolas
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
I have a 22'....
I launch at katherines and usually don't go past the basin. Honestly, i didn't know there was much there....!!! How long a ride from Katherines to Cottonwood?
We did a "after op6 Cottonwood run" with RiverToysJason in our 26ft Kachina.....
and the dam run is from Katherines to ..............well the dam, so I'm sure someone on here knows....I've done it, but it depends on the wind/chop/and your boat speed :D

OC-PARTYCAT
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Sorry OC Party----I didn't mean to jack your thread!!!! :hammerhea
Im not claimin ownership after that stupid question :D
Im just lookin for a little change of scenery and mohave is about the same distance as Havasu to me.

HOOTER SLED-
01-31-2005, 04:52 PM
I have a 22'....
45 drive to Cottonwood on land. The basin is BIG.
Out of Temple Bar, some of the calmest water. Glass. Also can get hairy. When the wind comes up, the wind comes up. Especially during monsoon season. We used to just sit out there and just wait the storm out sometimes. Alot of times they just come and blow through. Your boat would be fine I think.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-31-2005, 04:55 PM
We did a "after op6 Cottonwood run" with RiverToysJason in our 26ft Kachina.....
and the dam run is from Katherines to ..............well the dam, so I'm sure someone on here knows....I've done it, but it depends on the wind/chop/and your boat speed :D
i have 350 bravo. and let's say its a "typical" day. is it more than an hour?

Moe_Havi
01-31-2005, 04:56 PM
If you go around may, stay at Temple Bar. They actually have a nice bar but that's not why they call it that. They have these funky rooms that feel like fallout shelters or artillery bunkers but there is nobody around up there. Cottonwood is also great on Mohave but hard to get a room. Cottonwood to the dam is awsome. It is about 90 miles round trip but it will blow you away.

OutCole'd
01-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I have a 22'....
I had a 22' Cole, and it was iffy. If the water was nice that day, it was a fine boat for the lake. But like it has been said, Mead can get real rough. I have taken water over the bow many times there also.

Debbolas
01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Lake Mead is so low, that one place at the top of the lake, by the sunken town, the one that rents Hallets, oh what is it called.....I guess you can't launch there....we were at Echo Bay, I think, is the other place called Overton...where is Titties and Beer, he goes to Mead ALL the time
From Katherines to Cottonwood, I think maybe 35-45 minutes...we went for Breakfast.....I'm not sure.....RiverToysJason knows...

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-31-2005, 05:02 PM
I had a 22' Cole, and it was iffy. If the water was nice that day, it was a fine boat for the lake. But like it has been said, Mead can get real rough. I have taken water over the bow many times there also.
it's such a killer looking lake. i want to go but not if i put my kids at risk. Maybe the wife, but definitely not the kids!!!!! :rolleyes: :rollside: :rollside:

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-31-2005, 05:03 PM
From Katherines to Cottonwood, I think maybe 35-45 minutes...we went for Breakfast.....I'm not sure.....RiverToysJason knows...[/QUOTE]
Thanks Deb... Extra "turkey shockers" for you next november!!

Debbolas
01-31-2005, 05:06 PM
From Katherines to Cottonwood, I think maybe 35-45 minutes...we went for Breakfast.....I'm not sure.....RiverToysJason knows...
Thanks Deb... Extra "turkey shockers" for you next november!![/QUOTE]
:cool:
We got stuck going from the dam back toward Katherines in our little 19ft SeaRay once, and there were three foot swells in the basin....breaking over our bow and washing out our ski locker.....Scream says it was a 2gale force hurricane?
I LOVE my big 26ft boat on that lake :cool:

Mohavekid
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Mead and Mohave are both great lakes, but quite different than Havasu. If you want a party at either place, you need to bring it with you.
Both are part of the National Park Service, so you'll have to deal with some park type rules, but nothing terribly different. There does not seem to be the same amount of law enforcement on Mead/Mohave as there is on Havasu/Parker or Laughlin.
Once you get away from the Katherine's area on Mohave it's usually not too busy and you can find nice coves to hang out in. The wind usually blows south to north about 15 mph and the big basin just south of Cottonwood Cove can blow up some nasty rollers. You don't want to be caught in that area in a small boat if the wind really kicks up. Cottonwood is 22 miles from Katherine's Landing.
Mead can get real rough too, especially in the Narrows. Go northeast of Temple Bar towards South Beach and the Grand Canyon and you lose a lot of the crowds. Lot's of nice sandy beaches up that way.
Good luck.

mike37
01-31-2005, 06:10 PM
check out mohave in june
I hear there will be some hot boat peeps there

THOR
01-31-2005, 06:20 PM
I have been going to Mead for over 30 years and can say that between Powell, Mohave, Havasu, etc, Mead is the roughest I have ever seen when it gets bad. I saw a 30+ foot Fountain sink, a 28 foot Warlock get capsized, etc. Not good. But when it is flat I have never seen a lake flatter. Right now, Mead is low and beaches are hard to come by that are sandy. Nothing like Mohave and Havasu for sandy beaches, you will undoubtedly run into some mud. If the water would come up another 10 feet, it would be good again.

AirtimeLavey
01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
a damn, huh...my bad. Your right, thats not good for the bottom of the boat.
what about houseboating. Is it worth the extra time to drive to mead? or just go to mohave. Im talking for a long weekend.
I have been houseboating (Forever Resorts out of Cottonwood Cove on Mohave) for past 3 years. We launch out of Cottonwood and go North. Go up past Owl point and the Lake is yours. The small basin just north of Cottonwood can get somewhat big as well, but not as big as the basin south of Cottonwood. I have been using my 19' jet up there on those trips, and while I have had a few exciting times, most of the time it's been great. The ride up to the damn is beautiful...lots of big horn sheep.

Perfect Mixer
01-31-2005, 08:57 PM
OC, I've only been to Mead and Mojave (mosltly Mojave). We launch out of telephone cove (unpaved) just north of Katherines landing because of the 2-3 hour waits at Katherines on busy weekends. I'm not sure what to do with the new boat because I don't think I'll be able to launch on an unpaved launch any more. I was thinking about going north to cottonwood. I've been up that way a few times on the lake but not on land. It is real quite, but the water gets real cold the closer you get towards the dam. The hotel at Echo bay is cool, and it includes a slip when you stay there. I'm acutally thinking I'll spend more time at Havasu this summer (just the oposite). My kids are getting old enough to take to havasu now. But as for your question. it is very rough on both lakes. They are not good lakes for touring, just kickin' it in a cove, that's all. Oh yeah, Katherines does have a soboriaty check point to keep the lake safe (which is nice) on the weekends.

plaster dave
01-31-2005, 09:11 PM
I grew up going to Mohave it is a great lake for family boating and day camping. If you want to do long runs then a bigger boat is always better. But yes when the winds or a storm roll in then its like any lake get in a cove or get off the lake.G L :)

CBLavey
01-31-2005, 09:26 PM
We spend most of our time on Mojave. I think it's 67 miles from Davis Dam up to Hoover. The basin can get rough between Katherine's and Cootonwwod though we've also been able to ski the distance on absolute glass. The crowds diminish rapidly once you head a few miles north of Cottonwood. We're planning our 2nd houseboat trip from Cottonwood this summer - I'm counting the days already! :cool: