PDA

View Full Version : Electricians???

mirvin
02-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Anyone know a good electrician in or around the south bay area?? The electrical in my house is on the blink and Edison says their side is ok:confused:
I need someone who can diagnose the problem.
THanks,
mirvin :rollside:

Unforgiven
02-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Anyone know a good electrician in or around the south bay area?? The electrical in my house is on the blink and Edison says their side is ok:confused:
THanks,
what are the problemsn your having?/

HCS
02-01-2005, 04:39 PM
If no one bites. Get estimates. If it happens to be in the control panel and they need to replace it there not expensive. But it cost $$$$$$$$$ to get it installed. My house was on the blink and an electrical found a lose wire. Cost me $200.00. Not to bad considering.

Unforgiven
02-01-2005, 04:42 PM
what are the problemsn your having?/
I'll be in southern cali next week if ya can wait that long....
send me a pm and maybe I can walk you thru it...
but if it's a panel upgrade you want...it's an all day deal to swap and hopefully power company will hookup that day...

ROZ
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Mirv the Perv,
PM Huslter on the boards....

mirvin
02-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys. Ok here's what I got:
One chunk of my house loses power with no effect at the breakers. I mean when the power goes out there's no tripped breakers. Then after a few hours the power magically re-appears. I have been unable to recreate the outage by turning breakers off.
THe house is old. 1939 to be exact.
Edison came out yesterday and said the problem is internal. They went as far as to say the box and breakers were all good too....?
Uforgiven, I can wait til next week if you'll be in the area. I'm in North Torrance right off the 405. I don't know if I need a new box or if I have a problem in the wall somewhere. If you can fit me in I'm thinking you'll be telling me which of the two I've got.
Roz, I hereby indorse my new nickname, credit to you of course :cool: Thanks for the info on Hustler. If I run into trouble before Unforgiven makes it out I'll give him a holler.
mirvin

Sleek-Jet
02-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Do you have breakers or fuses??
Half power is usually a bad main breaker or bad/burned connection on the buss work in the breaker panel.

mirvin
02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Do you have breakers or fuses??
Half power is usually a bad main breaker or bad/burned connection on the buss work in the breaker panel.
I have breakers but they're just really old. I thought it seemed like a problem at the box rather then a wiring problem. I guess I just need to get the box checked.
How confindent should I be in what Edison is saying??? They say my box and breakers are good....
mirvin

HCS
02-01-2005, 05:27 PM
That's what my house was doing. It was a lose wire. It took me and an electrical about an hour and a half to trace it down. You have to figure out where the power starts on that circuit then trace it from there.

WYRD
02-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Sounds like a loose neutral somewhere
possiblly in an outlet somewhere you can buy a plug checker at home depo pretty cheap $15 or so might be a good place to start. Does your outlets have grounds or just two slots in them?

TCHB
02-01-2005, 05:31 PM
1. It sounds like it is the lead coming into the house underground. In the wet weather the electric cable will fail and go to ground. This problem will come and go until everything is dried out. The wet ground is not the problem just exposing the failed cable.
2. The second thing is that you have a primary breaker that is bad and needs to be replaced.
If I had to make a guess it is the first on the list and is Edisons responsiblity.

mirvin
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
1. It sounds like it is the lead coming into the house underground. In the wet weather the electric cable will fail and go to ground. This problem will come and go until everything is dried out. The wet ground is not the problem just exposing the failed cable.
2. The second thing is that you have a primary breaker that is bad and needs to be replaced.
If I had to make a guess it is the first on the list and is Edisons responsiblity.
My power comes from a pole to the roof. Above ground. I too think the problem is in their line though. Can what you've described happen on above ground hookups?
Riverdad55, I'm gonna check all my outlets asap as I have in the past found a loose connection. I believe the outlets have a ground but I'll have to check.
Thanks again everybody!!

Sleek-Jet
02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I have breakers but they're just really old. I thought it seemed like a problem at the box rather then a wiring problem. I guess I just need to get the box checked.
How confindent should I be in what Edison is saying??? They say my box and breakers are good....
mirvin
Well I don't know about that, but rest assured if they checked the power to the meter and it was good (120/240 or there abouts),and all the connections at the house knob and transformer are good, it is on your side.
The way you are describing it, the only place all those circuits will have in common is the breaker buss or the main breaker. I don't know what size of service you have, but most main disconnect/breakers are 2 110v breakers ganged together. It's not uncommon for one side to go bad. Also, the connection at the buss can get corroded and deteriorate over time.
When it happens, do you go out and cycle the main on and off?? Does that help?? Also, does any of your 220v (if you have any) appliances work while the problem is happening???

LilHarley
02-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Actually ... if the cable fails and goes to ground, the cable burns up. Hopefully, not burning the customers panel and only blowing the fuse in the pad or on the pole.
Edison's responsibility ends at the meter to your house, the line side. Everything past, the load side, is the customers. If the TM that came out and looked in your panel said it was OK, it was ... on the line side. He won't be looking much past that.
If you are losing power to half your house and not the rest, the problem will not be past the meter, starting at your panel. It will be hard to guess without looking since the panel and house wiring sound a little old.
Good luck.

TCHB
02-01-2005, 07:19 PM
If the lines are overhead now I say it is have a breaker problem.
I just ran across the same exact problem with overhead lines and it was one of he two main breakers.
On underground lines it is fairly common to find a main underground line cable with insulation that has broken down that will cause your problems.

Daytona19
02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
All edison will do is check from the transformer to the house and see if the voltage changes and if not thats all they can do. You should have 120 to 125 each leg and 240 to 250 across both hots at the meter socket. From that point it is the customers responcability and if edison is not loosing power on one leg which is unlikely they were telling the truth. If its a bad neutral it will usually dim the lights and or make them bright and even possibly damage to electrical items such as TV's , Computers & so on. They probably ran the beast of burden check to see if the neutral was bad and from what your saying that wasnt the problem. By doing that test they backfeed power from the socket to the transformer and then have two dials to watch if they move even nothing is wrong if they freak out and go opposite from one another the neutral is bad and the service wire needs replaced. Hate to say it but get it checked to be safe, may be a fire hazard. :eek:

Sleek-Jet
02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
If its a bad neutral it will usually dim the lights and or make them bright and even possibly damage to electrical items such as TV's , Computers & so on.
That is when I get phone calls. It is amazing what people will put up with, until the TV goes out, then hoe lee shit, get out here now and fix this!!!!

mike37
02-01-2005, 07:43 PM
you got a bad plug
the old houses loop all over and one plug in line bad and the rest go out
or a wire is loose at one of the plugs
go around an feel the plugs see if one is warm thats the bad one

plaster dave
02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
get ahold of Just Electric on here.

cola
02-01-2005, 07:51 PM
THanks,
Call me and we can talk about it. I don't live close but might be able to help or I need another trip to the boat show & I would swing by first.
Mike 909 380-9066 I'll be up up till 11:30 or so.

LilHarley
02-01-2005, 08:29 PM
You should have 120 to 125 each leg and 240 to 250 across both hots at the meter socket. From that point it is the customers responcability and if edison is not loosing power on one leg which is unlikely they were telling the truth. :eek:
The minimum/maximum requirements for Edison to serve is a minimum of 114V and a maximum of 120V for a 120 volt service. For 240, the minimum is 228V and the maximum is 240V for 240 volt service. 240v is measured from phase to phase, while 120v is measured from phase to nuetral.

Brodie
02-01-2005, 08:49 PM
dang. pay dem bills,,,,,,,,,easy fix

mexrunner
02-01-2005, 10:06 PM
my guess would be that you have either a breaker thats worn out or a lose wire feeding your bus in customer side of the panel. if the tm didnt check your connections at you weatherhead maybe try putting on some good dry leather gloves and test each connection by grabing on both sides of connection and wiggling just stay off any grounds ie. weatherhead pipe and nuetral normally marked white or bare on edison side.

78Eliminator
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Mirv, I will call you tomorrow. I went through this in my house.

Sleek-Jet
02-01-2005, 10:16 PM
... maybe try putting on some good dry leather gloves and test each connection by grabing on both sides of connection and wiggling just stay off any grounds ie. weatherhead pipe and nuetral normally marked white or bare on edison side.
To put it mildly.... that is a BAD idea...

Daytona19
02-02-2005, 03:54 AM
The minimum/maximum requirements for Edison to serve is a minimum of 114V and a maximum of 120V for a 120 volt service. For 240, the minimum is 228V and the maximum is 240V for 240 volt service. 240v is measured from phase to phase, while 120v is measured from phase to nuetral.
Got yanMike we run ours a little higher here. Usually hot to neutral is 123 to 126 and accordingly the phase to phase goes up but you know that.

LilHarley
02-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Got yanMike we run ours a little higher here. Usually hot to neutral is 123 to 126 and accordingly the phase to phase goes up but you know that.
Ahh, didn't even notice you were from Michigan. Dang, wouldn't want yours right now in the cold and snow! You guys still have to climb in snow & ice, or use buckets? :idea:

mirvin
02-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks again guys. I won't get around to dickin' with this until Saturday. I'll do my best to troubleshoot the situation before turning to a pro :rolleyes:
I'll get an update posted asap.
Thanks again everyone.
mirvin :rollside: :idea:

speedneeder
02-02-2005, 10:05 AM
To me it sounds like a receptacle gone bad. Original wiring from 39 would have the plugs wired in series, thus if one of the devices fails everything downstream from that plug also goes out. If its intermittent its usually because the device hasent burned the internal copper or aluminum but is on its way. It may seem like half the house is out because unless someone has rewired the house there is probably only about 6-8 breakers in the entire house.

mirvin
02-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey Speedneeder, by "receptacle" do you mean "outlet"?? Like where you plug stuff into the wall right??
mirvin

lghtnin33
02-02-2005, 10:51 AM
you might want to talk to lghtnin33 he's an electrician i think?

speedneeder
02-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Yes, receptacle or outlet. The reason you cant duplicate the outage with by flipping the circuit breaker is because only the circuit downstream of the device in question will lose power. Pretty common with the way devices used to be wired (in series). If you want pm me and I can get you some more specific info.

mike37
02-02-2005, 04:38 PM
To me it sounds like a receptacle gone bad. Original wiring from 39 would have the plugs wired in series, thus if one of the devices fails everything downstream from that plug also goes out. If its intermittent its usually because the device hasent burned the internal copper or aluminum but is on its way. It may seem like half the house is out because unless someone has rewired the house there is probably only about 6-8 breakers in the entire house.isent that what I said

mike37
02-02-2005, 04:39 PM
you got a bad plug
the old houses loop all over and one plug in line bad and the rest go out
or a wire is loose at one of the plugs
go around an feel the plugs see if one is warm thats the bad oneyep that what i said alright

mike37
02-02-2005, 04:42 PM
one of your plugs ore switches will be worm to the touch and thats the one
that messing with ya

moneysucker
02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Negative on the leather glove idea. They checked to the meter. It is not in the weather head as that is where the meter is fed..

cola
02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
The servicing utility company's responsibility stops at the connections before the weatherhead. They own the meter & thats it. Very common to have bad connection at the meter clips on the line or load sides. Did Edison pull the meater & look at that part of the panel. The lazy ones won't even check. If the circuit breakers clip in you can pull them out one at a time & check for a bad connection at the buss. Like others have said, check for warm devices. Heat = current loss. Call me it's the Hot Boat hookup (free) ;)
Late, Mike 909 380-9066

Daytona19
02-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Ahh, didn't even notice you were from Michigan. Dang, wouldn't want yours right now in the cold and snow! You guys still have to climb in snow & ice, or use buckets? :idea:
Well if we can use a bucket you bet we will. I have climbed three times this year in 30 below weather and man it sucks. If your not busy your froze!!

mirvin
02-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Ok, so how about a loose wire coming from the meter into the breaker box?? I have a 3 wire set up. I was out poking and pulling on chit last night and one of the main wires popped right out when I pushed on it.
Funny thing is that the comment sheet left by Edison said "All breakers and connections are good" :messedup:
I'll letcha know if I have anymore problems.
Thanks again everyone ;)
mirvin

Daytona19
02-03-2005, 11:10 AM
If its on the bottom side it yours. PLEASE BE CAREFUL while checking that stuff out!!! I have seen many connections that make your life hell so take your time but without that meter pulled the bottom is HOT so dont mess around to much unless they kill the transformer at the pole or padmount or the meter is pulled and the bottom will be de-energized but remember the top is live.

mirvin
02-03-2005, 11:46 AM
If its on the bottom side it yours. PLEASE BE CAREFUL while checking that stuff out!!! I have seen many connections that make your life hell so take your time but without that meter pulled the bottom is HOT so dont mess around to much unless they kill the transformer at the pole or padmount or the meter is pulled and the bottom will be de-energized but remember the top is live.
THis was the TOP of the box. One of the three main wires coming from the meter was just sitting in it's slot on the top of my breaker box. I just popped it out and then put it back in and tightened it up.
mirvin

Sleek-Jet
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Funny thing is that the comment sheet left by Edison said "All breakers and connections are good" :messedup:
mirvin
Like we've said before, Edison only goes to the top of the meter. So, everything on their side is good. Sounds like they didn't make that clear.
We tell people that everything on our side is good in these situations and make it clear what the consumers responsibility is.
I'd be willing to guess that you fixed it.

mirvin
02-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I sure hope so :rollside:
mirvin :cool:

Sleek-Jet
02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Also, if you had to pull the meter to fix this, be sure and call and tell Edison. You'll probably get a lecture about pulling the meter without being an electrician, but it they find a seal cut, you'll be looking at tampering fees... $$$$$$$$$ .

mirvin
02-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Also, if you had to pull the meter to fix this, be sure and call and tell Edison. You'll probably get a lecture about pulling the meter without being an electrician, but it they find a seal cut, you'll be looking at tampering fees... $$$$$$$$$ .
Now worries. I didn't touch the meter. Only thing I did was remove the cover to my breaker box and fix a loose connection. The loose connection was at the top of my box.......one of the three wires coming from the meter.
Also, before my recent "partial blackout" situation I was having a problem where I had been tripping the main breaker without really having much of a load on it. Computer, washing machine, some lights......throw something into the microwave and bam...tripped main.
So after I fixed the loose connection I turned on all my lights, ran all my appliances and couldn't get it to trip.
Fingers crossed....
mirvin :cool: