PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer Help and advise

bigq
02-01-2005, 08:38 PM
I have a friend ;) that had some business transactions that were misleading and was basically stupid and got suckered. The companies went out of business and probably started under a different name. There are some other companies that are associated in the same field that are questionable.
The question I have now is can a small website be put up nameing companies and people to stay away from with stories of what took place and why people should avoid the related field. Is this legal or would it be slanderous. Does my friend have a right to inform the public about what happen and what to avaoid?
Thanks

Brodie
02-01-2005, 08:50 PM
dat aint slanderous,,,,,mite me scandaloeus

bigq
02-01-2005, 08:53 PM
dat aint slanderous,,,,,mite me scandaloeus
I can live with that :wink:

C-2
02-01-2005, 08:59 PM
It's libel and courts are still rendering different opinions. the rule of thumb is if you wouldn't print it in a newspaper - then don't publish it on the net.
However, message boards are great for relaying your transaction experiences, or other first-hand experiences - so long as they are factual and true.
Find an industry specific forum and see if others have also experienced the same.
Contacting business credit reporting agencies such as Dunn & Bradstreet and Experian could also damage their credit rating (if they have one).
Creating a website with the sole intent to slam the company - not a good idea.
Do a Google on Cyberlibel.
:)

Mohavekid
02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Libel & slander are the speaking and writing of falsehoods intended to damage a person or entities reputation.
The key is that the statements must be false and must be made with the knowledge that they are false.
If the statements are true, there is no libel/slander.
The issue becomes having to defend yourself, potentially in $$$$ litigation, and essentially prove that the statements made were true.
Good luck.

ACCEPTENCE
02-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Seems to me if you are expressing your own personal opinion, get after it!!!
They can't take that from you nor can they stop you from sharing it!!!

bigq
02-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I found this site also. looks like a good place to post some info.
here (http://www.ripoffreport.com/)
thanks for the info

Brodie
02-01-2005, 09:09 PM
if that terd company went out of bidness,,,,who cares if they get steemed?
Go ahead and dis em,,,if they aint got the money, they aint gonna sew,,,,
dang.

bigq
02-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Seems to me if you are expressing your own personal opinion, get after it!!!
They can't take that from you nor can they stop you from sharing it!!!
Thats what I was thinking, everyone else crys first amendment :hammerhea

Mrs CP 19
02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
if that terd company went out of bidness,,,,who cares if they get steemed?
Go ahead and dis em,,,if they aint got the money, they aint gonna sew,,,,
dang.
Sounds like maybe they are taking in the business, folding, then going under another name. Give WRITTEN complaints to BBB. Free speech ( the 1st amendment) allows free speech. Numerous websites have been started slamming a company/business. You ARE entitled to your opinion, go ahead and put it up.

C-2
02-01-2005, 09:45 PM
The distinction between "Opinion" and libel is still a fuzzy area - and first amendment rights are no more (or less) applicable to the internet than they are any other form of print. On the same note, the internet is not some lawless arena where laws and rules go out the door. Ignorance of laws is not a defense.
People are getting sued day in and out for libelous statments they thought were "opinions." For example, I work for many attorneys representing companies whose former employees decided to voice their opinions on the net. Never, and I mean never have I seen a good outcome for the employee.
Remember, with litigation - he with the most money usually wins.
Besides, who's gonna know who your friend is talking about if they keep changing names? Wouldn't it be easier and more effective for him to anonymously call other clients of the bad guys. That usually hurts.
Just some food for thought.

Scape Goat
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Report it to the BBB

Essex502
02-02-2005, 06:36 AM
If it is the truth and first hand experiences you should be okay. That doens't mean you might not get sued anyway just to intimidate you. If it's a business they probably have more money to spend hassassing you in a courtroom than you do to defend it. For example...Fry Electronics is an awful place to shop and there are websites that have been up years saying so with little negative impact because the stories are true.