PDA

View Full Version : Reg. Sticker Issue

dimarcobros
04-20-2006, 09:46 PM
So the stickers for our boat is an hour from where I live but the reg is paid. I know I run the risk of getting pulled over with expired tags. My question is will I get fined even though we are all paid up? Is it worth it?
DMB

bunny 166
04-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Where do you launch? I know when we went out with Roxysnow's April Fools Day at Windsor they asked where they were. Luckily Kev and Mila had them with them along with the current reg. paperwork...

havaduner
04-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Saw a guy in the channel last Sunday getting a ticket for expired tags. Guess it was a slow day for LE....

Boatcop
04-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Saw a guy in the channel last Sunday getting a ticket for expired tags. Guess it was a slow day for LE....
Yep. Slow day when the Police enforce the laws, huh?
You would probably get stopped with the expired stickers, but most likely won't get a ticket for it, as long as the registration check comes back current, and there's no other violations.
Some lanch areas, such as Windsor, won't let you lanch without the current tags displayed.
If you need duplicates, you can go to the DMV in Needles for California Tags or Kingman for Arizona.

CBadDad
04-21-2006, 07:25 AM
You would probably get stopped with the expired stickers, but most likely won't get a ticket for it, as long as the registration check comes back current, and there's no other violations.
Probably is the key word here. Isn't the ticket for not properly displaying the tags?

Boatcop
04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Probably is the key word here. Isn't the ticket for not properly displaying the tags?
It is a violation, but it's what I consider a "CS" ticket. No one ever died from having the wrong color decal on the boat.
As long as the registration is paid up, why should we sweat the decal? Although it is valid cause to stop and do a safety check, it's not real high on the list of crimes of the century.
What I see more of is the idiots who buy a boat registered in one state, then registers it in another, and just puts the decal by the other state's numbers.
Look around, next time on the lake, and notice how many dumba$$es have an Arizona decal next to California numbers. That shows us right off the bat that they have no clue what they're doing, and makes us wonder what else is screwed up on their boat.

Up 4 River
04-21-2006, 09:36 AM
So the stickers for our boat is an hour from where I live but the reg is paid. I know I run the risk of getting pulled over with expired tags. My question is will I get fined even though we are all paid up? Is it worth it?
DMB
The drive from South OC to Arcadia isn't as convienent as it use to sound when I had to make it huh? Good Vodka last night :)

Redwing247
04-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I been boating without tag or reg # on my new boat for the last 4 w/e, the cops never give me any trouble. Be cool, contrary to what people here said, the cops dont just pick on boaters for the sake of harasing boaters.

dimarcobros
04-21-2006, 12:08 PM
The drive from South OC to Arcadia isn't as convienent as it use to sound when I had to make it huh? Good Vodka last night :)
Good Vodka indeed. i am having my brother fedex them to our place out there so we will have them by 10 am. :) Now that is creative thinking.
DMB

Boatcop
04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I been boating without tag or reg # on my new boat for the last 4 w/e, the cops never give me any trouble. Be cool, contrary to what people here said, the cops dont just pick on boaters for the sake of harasing boaters.
That's pretty much true. We can tell when a boat is brand new, and realize it takes some time to get the registration and decal from CA DMV or AZ Game and Fish. A month or 2 at the least.
Since most boaters frequent the same waterway we do, however, make mental note of the "new" boats without numbers. After seeing them again, several weeks after the first time, we'll stop them and check the status.
You be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) by all the idiots who are waiting to get the numbers painted on a year or 2 after they bought the boat. And for some reason, we always stop them the week before their appointment with the painter. Every one I've stopped tell me they are getting them painted on "next week". (funny that they already have the boat name painted on)
Note to these people:
If you've been issued the numbers they have to be displayed. If you can't get to the painter for a few years, find a new painter. If you can't, buy some stick-on numbers. They just peel off when you're ready to have them painted on.

shueman
04-21-2006, 01:06 PM
...Look around, next time on the lake, and notice how many dumba$$es have an Arizona decal next to California numbers. That shows us right off the bat that they have no clue what they're doing, and makes us wonder what else is screwed up on their boat.
Have seen that before....prob. lifted the sticker to get by.... :rolleyes:

shueman
04-21-2006, 01:12 PM
...You be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) by all the idiots who are waiting to get the numbers painted on a year or 2 after they bought the boat. And for some reason, we always stop them the week before their appointment with the painter...
You expect me to put VINYL stickers on my $100k custom gel..... :2purples: :D