PDA

View Full Version : VIRGIN POST --- BEWARE! 6.2 on a 23' :)

FV-JP
02-03-2005, 01:16 PM
First of all, wow on the postings on this board, after getting past some crap (not too much) there is some really great stuff here... Thank you to all who have posted, its been good reading...
I am looking at the first purchase for me.. (EXCITING).. I have been boating all my life and it is the key to my sanity.. my family has always had boats and I have never taken the plunge for one reason or another, but the time has come..
I have been looking all over trader, went to the LA show, up one side and down the other of this forum and have found out for the most part what I want..
Here is what I am really looking for..
USED 23' (approx, but not smaller), i would love a 496HO w/Bravo 1, but am having a hell of a time finding one.. Open Bow, closed cuddy, nothing much more than every other person seems to be looking for :confused:
Anyway, I have foundone, and I am sure others have too, its a nice 23', meets the specs, low hours, so on and so on, but its running a 6.2, and I am really concerned about it being dead in the water with a boat load of asses and drinks (coolers).. as well i like to ski / board and want to be able to pull at least when i feel like it.. and i don't want a "ski boat" because they just are not my style..
So with all my ramblings I am looking for advise..
1. Thoughts on the 23' with 6.2
2. Keep the 6.2 for a while and toss it for a 496HO after my checkbook is back in check
3. Whipple the 6.2
4. Forget it all and find a 23' with a 496MAG / HO
Any suggestions / feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jbb
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
By crap.... he must mean Browns ramblings..... :redface:

OGShocker
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the JUNGLE!
PM INSman. He is sell his 2004 23' Dana w/ a lot of bells and whistles for a very fair price.

mbrown2
02-03-2005, 01:22 PM
How used are you willing to look at? You might find some 2001/2002's with 454's or 502's EFI...those were both great engines as well and although the 496's were out, some builders still had stock or were getting deals on these packages..
Personally, I would keep looking past a 6.2 on a 23....just my opinion.
BTW Welcome...

wantacat
02-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I think you should just wait and get exactly what you want. Later on you will be kicking your self, thinking you should have just waited. Do it right the first time! Save some money

Up 4 River
02-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I was in the same position as you a couple years ago with loving to ski, but not wanting to get a ski boat per say. I found a used 21' closed bow Hallett that has more than exceded my expectations. It can be a family boat, fit 6 people with ice chest, and I can still ski behind it. It has a 454 and I have been happy with the speed, but will be upgrading some things shortly now that I've had it for 2 years. Some manufactures call there boats a 23' but are a 21' with swimsteps so you may want to look at that as well. There are some good used boats out there if you're willing to be patient. This place is great for advise and people will help lead you in the right direction.
U4R

jdogginla
02-03-2005, 01:44 PM
PM or do a search for Nashvillebound.............he has a great 24 ultra that moves and is CLEEEEAAANNN! He's looking to move it. Nice boat and good price for what it is. :cool:

Scream
02-03-2005, 01:44 PM
I think you should just wait and get exactly what you want. Later on you will be kicking your self, thinking you should have just waited. Do it right the first time! Save some money
This is exactly what I was going to say. Get what you want now. You're going to spend some coin and having to regret even a small portion of your purchase will sour you taste eventually. Welcome to ***boat and have fun. By the way, don't take anyone here seriously, trust me...lol

THOR
02-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the JUNGLE!
PM INSman. He is sell his 2004 23' Dana w/ a lot of bells and whistles for a very fair price.
This will kill answer your #4 option. The Dana 23' by INSman is sweet and hits mid 70's with his 496HO.

Sleek-Jet
02-03-2005, 01:48 PM
By crap.... he must mean Browns ramblings..... :redface:
Can 3 word posts about poop be considered ramblings??? :D
Welcome to the sand box... :cool:

Ziggy
02-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I run a 23 with a 6.2 and find it to be just fine...it may not be the fastest unit out there but I can carry the load and still pull skier, tube whatever I want. If carrying your family is the main concern you should be just fine IMO...but alot depends on if YOU are satisfied. I'm just not as much in need of top speed like I used to be.
my .02c worth.
and welcome to the forum :)

Ducatista
02-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, what make/model 23ft boat with a 6.2 are you lookin at? Odds are someone on here owns one, or knows a friend that has one that you can talk to.

Midlife Advantage
02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
what make is this 23' with the 6.2 JP? If the make has you in your price range, just be careful. the production boats always have you wantinfor more. You could get a 24' deckboat that answers all of the above, with a 496 that would get 60-70 mph if you choose it carefully, and you stay below in price if you go with a production like ebbtide or chaparell.
23' will be a rough water nightmare.

Chase
02-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Whatever you do don't buy a Gay...I mean Bayliner... :supp: :D :D :lightsabe

dicudmore
02-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Good luck w/ur search :D
Welcome to ***boat....
I agree with above comments re: Insman's 23 Dana 496HO....Very nice boat :D

LAVEYSABRE575
02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
welcome fv whats your budget allowing you on this boat purchase,im sure you will see
lots of trades in the next couple weeks (boat show) i know laveys got 5 trades coming in, The reason i ask budget there is alot of nice boats for sale on the forums letting these people know what you want to spend might get you a few pms, also bump to the larger motor you rarely hear anybody say i wish i went with a smaller motor....

Red Eye
02-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Ditto...I've done it with cars and kicked myself in the arse over it.

FV-JP
02-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the all posts.. but to be clear, when I say "crap" i mean reading about someone slamming someone about their "make & model" boat... IMO if you are on the water, it floats, and its got an engine, NICE! But thats just my .02..
Thank all of you for your posts.. its nice to hear..
To answer a few questions... price range - 45-50k, maybe a little more, but thats really pushing it.. no older than a 2000, i think I should be able to get a good boat in that year range for my price range..
The boat i came across is a super clean cobra..
I am not into, no offense to anyone, "productions" boats.. (i.e. bayliner).. They are just too cookie cutter for me, my house, my truck, they all look similar to "someones", but boat, needs to be unique.. know what i mean?
No deck boats for me... i want a V hull.. I have been searching for a lavey, but have not found one yet... I think its a good time to be looking considering someone must have wanted to trade up during the show.. :)
Its a first boat for me, so as much as I would enjoy a new boat, I want to really find out what i like / don't like, before i put some serious money into a new one..
Again, keep the ideas / comments coming, I really appreciate it..
PS.. JP is my name in short, FV is the city.. ;)

sigepmock
02-03-2005, 03:05 PM
We've got a 21 Ultra Stealth with the 6.2L and see low to mid 60's. I think the 6.2L is a great motor for a 21' but not enough for a 23'. Definately hold out for the big block. You should be able to find a good used one...as it seems everyone is stepping up big this year.

Steamin' Rice
02-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Here is your boat... Get in touch with INSman and check it out.. I haven't seen it in person, but from the pics I have seen it looks really clean with all the good stuff on it. It also seems to be right in line with your budget and Dana makes a great boat....
http://riverracerx.com/cgi-bin/mb2/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=6;t=5117

BarryMac
02-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the madness, did you know that JetBoats spray more spunk? It's true just ask Hooter Sled , ohh and by the way, jet boats are cool too...

HCS
02-03-2005, 03:11 PM
There's some good info on pontoon boats on here too. Just do a search.

FV-JP
02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Steamin - Thanks... I will check it out..
Gottajet - yes, jets are great, but a jet with around 500ci and 23' of boat in front of it seems like it might be hard to control... but hey, what the hell do I know.. either way, i lika prop..
Is this the dana you all are talking about?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/3/77862133.htm

simple
02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
FV, In your price range of 45k - 50k, you have a huge opportunity to get exactly what you want. There are many top brands with 454s, 502s, 496s & some HP500s in that range. Stay with the custom boats because the owners take better care of them.
Good Luck!

Tom Brown
02-03-2005, 03:25 PM
... to be clear, when I say "crap" i mean reading about someone slamming someone about their "make & model" boat...
You should post your question in Bench Racers. I think you'll find they have a lot of experience to offer.
Welcome to ***boat, JP. :cool:

dicudmore
02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Steamin - Thanks... I will check it out..
Gottajet - yes, jets are great, but a jet with around 500ci and 23' of boat in front of it seems like it might be hard to control... but hey, what the hell do I know.. either way, i lika prop..
Is this the dana you all are talking about?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/3/77862133.htm
yes that is the boat :D

all charged up
02-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I just bought my first NICE boat last month.
I looked forever to figure out what I wanted. I stuck to my guns and searched like mad. Pre qualified and longing for the boat of my dreams. I found some in the ballpark but they were a long ways away. Still wanting but not real despirate I found a boat that was way nicer than I thought I would find or be able to afford. The boat is ultra clean and has a monster stereo and a bichin 502 with a pro charger. Very clean, low hours, very well taken care of. Less than 20 miles away.
Moral of the story---- It's out there just be patient and wait for the right opportunity. Get what you want, don't settle because its getting closer to summer. You will find it.
Good Luck. The guys and gals in here are very helpful and this is an awesome in to a very wide spread web of boat lovers. :smile:

LilHarley
02-03-2005, 05:58 PM
A friend of mine has the 23' Cobra with the 6.2 and is very happy with it. He hits in the low 60's, planes pretty quick and is my by no means a small guy. I've ridden with him with a couple of other buddies and we are all over 220. Still pulled well. The motor is strong and if the boat is what you are looking for with your family, I really don't think you will be dissappointed. Just my 2 cents. :rollside:

FV-JP
02-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks again for all the posts... I am sure the 6.2 is cool for some... perhaps as you say the family boat, but I want a little more power than that I think...
I talked to a guy today with a 23' Ultra and a 6.2, he said he was running a 4 blade and would hit about 67 with 4 on board..... so I am stumped... 67 is great.. i mean its not 80, but its pretty good...
Thoughts?

INSman
02-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks to all the kind folks that chimed in with the positive comments !! :cool:
1. 496 HO (425HP), ONLY way to go (no regrets later, better resale value)
2. 23' with a 6.2 = "underpowered"
Trim Tabs, Dana Scizzor Hinges, Tow cover, bimini, Extreme trailer w/ LED's, awesome stereo w/ Sony Head Unit, XM receiver (active), JL Autio subs and (8) JL Audio 6.5 coax speakers. Everything on this boat is clean, tight, and just ready for a new home and family. What the heck, I will even toss in an extra prop (24p). I have a (27.5P) on now for top end.
The boat is on the cover of the Boat Trader that just came out today, and I am getting a calls already. This boat will be gone in less than (2) weeks, so if you are serious, we need to find some water for a run :2purples: :2purples:

FV-JP
02-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Check the PM I just sent you..

INSman
02-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Check the PM I just sent you..
Done...

INSman
02-03-2005, 07:45 PM
F Y I (anyone) !!
No need to take my word for it or anyone that has commented on this boat, just take a look at the February Powerboat and February ***boat for great write-ups on the 23' !!!
(2) different boats tested, one had a 496 MAG (375HP) hittin high 60's
the other had the 496HO (425HP) and hitting the low 70's
Two different magazines can't be wrong on the same model, 2 different boats :2purples:

jbtrailerjim
02-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Hold out for a something with a 496 Mag or Mag/HO. A small block in that size boat is underpowered IMO. I have a 496Mag in my Ultra and it will see 70ish on a good day. Good luck in your search and welcome to the boards.