PDA

View Full Version : Which Diesel?

No Regrets
02-09-2005, 07:45 AM
I know this has been hashed b4, but Im too lazy to search. Plus I need recent opinions.
Im about to buy either 2005 F-250 crew cab s/bed 4x4 Lariat w/ 6.0 Diesel, fully loaded or same option 2005 SLE 2500 HD GMC 4x4 w/ Duramax & Allison. Im not lifting it, just maybe wheels & tires that fit stock.
I've had both brands, so brand bashers, chill.
I'd like opinion on owners whove had issues or no issues w/ both.
Also, does the diesel get your boat black at all from the exhaust?
What kind of MPG are y'all getting, really?
Thanks in advance and bring it.
B

riverbound
02-09-2005, 07:57 AM
I am a ford guy but chevy does make the better engine/tranny combo. The Chevy also rides much better. The chevy seems to be ore car like in the ride and ammenitites The fords are alot more truck like very sparse interiors definite truck like ride the Ford interior does feel better built than the chevy. Plus with the deal you can get from Photoglou it really makes the decision easy.

oldbuck40
02-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Dodge 350 4x4 dually w/cummins 24 valve 5.9 6speed, 3.55 gears i pull a 30' chriss craft@ 6900# and still get 17-18mpg,,,i've had fords and chevys and they are nice trucks but you cant beat a cummins period!!!

rrrr
02-09-2005, 08:16 AM
'04 Excursion with the 6.0L.....
I get 16.5 average in town, 18-20 highway depending on speed.

Danhercules
02-09-2005, 08:18 AM
The Dodge Cummins rocks. Their truck sucks. IMO. The back seat is way small and the int sucks too IMO.
Ford, nice truck.
Chevy, the Dmax and Allison drive awsome. I hardly hit the brakes towing doubles. The tranny dose it all. The ride is like a car.
If your gonna be rought on it off road, i would say Ford, the solid front axel. (I assume you are talkin 4X4). If not, I would say chevy, the ride is soooo nice.
I have towed with the Ford 2500 and my chevy 2500HD, Power wise they are close, ride wise, Chevy, Tranny goes to chevy too.

Jordy
02-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Seeing how Ford is going to abandon the 6.0 platform after a couple years of headaches, that should give you some indication. ;)
Granted, I'm partial and have 2 Duramaxes and work for the Allison dealer, you won't find me owning a diesel with an automatic tranny other than an Allison. Too many horror stories out there with the other brands' automatic transmissions. Diesels are very hard on autos on their own, then consider that a majority of the time they're worked pretty hard on top of it. It's a no brainer.
I get 17 or so in my company truck. It's a bone stock 2wd extra cab short bed, that just about always is pulling a generator out to a job or back. It get's flogged pretty good. My other truck is a crew cab long bed 4x4 on 285's, intake, exhaust, Edge Juice/Attitude on it, pretty much a racecar, and I drive it like that, but still get better than 16 around town. Took it to the track a couple weeks ago and ran a 14.74 1/4 mile. It's lots of fun lining up next to the kids with the fart can exhaust. They never see it coming. LOL :D

cdog
02-09-2005, 08:22 AM
I have'nt had the duramax yet but my HD with the 8.1 kicked ass. The allison trans is awsome. It shifts a little firm (just right) and down shifts when backing off the throttle and going down a grade. It really is light years ahead of the rest. The diesels are all about the same in all honesty. They are all strong and can be tweaked to get lots more power out of them. I'm lookin to get a duramax chevy soon and have tossed over the same questions. I want a truck but for 40k I want a smooth ride and some luxury so GM it is.

OutCole'd
02-09-2005, 08:28 AM
I have a 04 D-max and get about 15MPG on average, mostly city driving. Tow's great, really happy with it.
I can't compare it to anything else, never been in one.

INSman
02-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Happy with my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax, with of course the Allison tranny. I added an AFE Magnum Intake, Edge Juice w/ Attitude Controller and a 4" RBP exhaust with a 5" tip. The truck does have a 6" lift and at least 35" tires and this things absolutely screams !!
I get 13.5 -14.5 towing, and have gotten upwards of 18 highway non-towing. It is funny to see the look on peoples faces when I blow by them on an uphill grade towing my 23' boat :2purples: :2purples:
On the exhaust smoke, RBP puts out an additive that does a few things, incudes reducing the exhaust smoke. My boat has a white bow, and I do not notice anything goop or exhaust residue after towing 400 miles to Havasu.

dicudmore
02-09-2005, 08:43 AM
I am a ford guy but chevy does make the better engine/tranny combo. The Chevy also rides much better. The chevy seems to be ore car like in the ride and ammenitites The fords are alot more truck like very sparse interiors definite truck like ride the Ford interior does feel better built than the chevy. Plus with the deal you can get from Photoglou it really makes the decision easy.
I have 2 Dmax's and would definitely get another one....
Call Jay Photoglou 714-552-0300 you can prob have the truck today :cool:
I get 14mpg towing my 29'er
16ish around town normal driving. 18.5 at 75 not towing but doing the LV trip or something like that. Best ever mpg 22, that was a rainy day 60-65 LA to LV

OGShocker
02-09-2005, 09:22 AM
I would rather crap out a flaming watermelon than drive a F.O.R.D. :notam:
The duramax is a better choice by far. IMHO. :rollside:

No Regrets
02-09-2005, 09:29 AM
It's lots of fun lining up next to the kids with the fart can exhaust. They never see it coming. LOL :D
Thats some funny sh it.

riverracerx
02-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Dude, where you been?
I have hook-ups the owners of both a Ford and Chevy dealer locally. So let me know if you need some help.

canuck1
02-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Chev makes a nice car with a box on the back , if you want a truck buy the Ford. If you use 4 wheel drive much you will replace the Chevs front end, I'm on # 4 now and this is in 3 different trucks.

Dave C
02-09-2005, 09:45 AM
that would be a sight..... not one that I want to see.... but a sight nonetheless. :eek:
I would rather crap out a flaming watermelon than drive a F.O.R.D. :notam:
:

BADBLOWN572
02-09-2005, 10:20 AM
I had an '02 GMC 2500 w/ the Duramax before I bought my '04 F-250 w/ the 6.0 and I have not regretted it one little bit. I will give you that the tranny on the Ford is the weak link, but hell, it comes with a 100k mile warranty. I really like the straight front axle on the Fords as well as the interior layout. As for ride, stock, both trucks rode about the same. I am extremely happy with my decision to go with the Ford and I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I just really like the truck.
As for MPG, when my truck was stock I averaged about 19mpg to the river cruising at 70 with no boat. After 70, the boost comes up and the fuel consumption goes down to about 16. Towing the boat at around 65-70, you get about 15mpg.
My boat has never been covered with stuff because of the exhaust. The only time that the thing smokes at all is when you turn the Edge up and then it is not that bad. Stock you won't have to worry about crap on the boat at all.

jackpunx
02-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I have the same truck as BB572 ,, I love the way it rides.. Love the interior and if your into 4x4ing.. it is way better then my GMC was

sigepmock
02-09-2005, 10:47 AM
My neighbor and good friend is a Ford Tech and has been for many years. I was just talking to him this last weekend about getting the F-250 deisel and he recommended NOT getting one. He says Ford has had nothing but headaches with the 6.0L as a whole and is going to get rid of it. He has seen 11 f-250's and f-350's been bought back by Ford because of deisel motor/trans problems over the last year. I am not a die hard fan of either, I like the solid front axle of the Fords but I bought the Chevy because of the nicer interior and ride, but based on my last conversation with my neighbor I will not be buying a Ford deisel. Just my .02
Chris

Jordy
02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
He says Ford has had nothing but headaches with the 6.0L as a whole and is going to get rid of it.
Chris
Holy cow!!!! :D :D :D
Seeing how Ford is going to abandon the 6.0 platform after a couple years of headaches, that should give you some indication. ;)
From what I have heard, they're looking at jumping to something in the neighborhood of 6.6 liters with twin turbos. That should be interesting. Cat found out about the problems with twins on their big over the road engines. They went that route for emissions and burned a couple to the ground because of all the extra heat from another turbo. :idea: :D

Froggystyle
02-09-2005, 11:06 AM
I now realize why, among other reasons I lowered my truck and got a 2WD...
I get over 20mpg on average hot rodding around town, running down parts and towing the boat around. On the way home from SEMA (my last big long road trip) I made it all the way from Vegas to San Diego and cruised around for a couple of days on the same tank of gas. Average on the way up was 28mpg, I think I did a little better than that on the way back for some reason.
The 4 link hooks up too. Big time. Much better launch for screwing up the rice burners days with.
Still have traction problems though... 850 foot pounds of torque will do that.

mud duck
02-09-2005, 11:11 AM
These mileage figures sound great compared to my 460 Ford today. I thought the Ford diesel was an International Harvester engine, or did they change that a few years ago? Do they put these diesel engines in full size vans today? Ford I know did, but how about the other two brands. Also, wernt the Dodge Cummins diesel internal parts really stout?
Might be interested in retiring my E350 4x4 this summer and trading up to something new.

Ziggy
02-09-2005, 11:17 AM
I've got the Ford 7.3 diesel and happy that I do.
One of my tech's had the 03 6.0 diesel and kept having repeated oil leaks...so Ford repurchased his truck and he got the new 05 6.0. So far it has been flawless for him and great stock power. The ride has improved with the new coilovers in front, turning radius dramitically better than my leafspring front end.
I would give Ford the nod(that coming from a GM affiliated dealer :smile: )

KACHINA KEN
02-09-2005, 11:17 AM
I dragged a 35' Flame all the way to Cape Canaveral before Christmas with my 04' Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 6.0
Didn't miss a beat, it rocks.

Liberator TJ1984
02-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I just bought the F250 SD 4x4 Longbed 6.0 and @ 5000mi. I am getting 17+ MPG , I liked the straight axles and no BS 4x4 system , you can manually lock if needed.....maybe it's just a fluke but locally here the Duramaxes are having lots of fuel system related problems....and I did research alot of dealers before choosing the Ford :confused: Dodge just flat out has no resale or trade value :notam:

djunkie
02-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Supposed to get my new 2500 HD duramax this week. If you want the chevy call Photolou. Easiest vehicle purchase I ever made.

KingCole
02-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I now realize why, among other reasons I lowered my truck and got a 2WD...
I get over 20mpg on average hot rodding around town, running down parts and towing the boat around. On the way home from SEMA (my last big long road trip) I made it all the way from Vegas to San Diego and cruised around for a couple of days on the same tank of gas. Average on the way up was 28mpg, I think I did a little better than that on the way back for some reason.
The 4 link hooks up too. Big time. Much better launch for screwing up the rice burners days with.
Still have traction problems though... 850 foot pounds of torque will do that.
That's great mileage for any truck. Which truck is it and what size boat are you towing?

Liberator TJ1984
02-09-2005, 11:46 AM
As for the Ford 6.0 who makes the best power chip or programmer for this ...and is it worth it ??? :idea:

Ziggy
02-09-2005, 11:57 AM
As for the Ford 6.0 who makes the best power chip or programmer for this ...and is it worth it ??? :idea:
Talk to STV-Kieth..he's the one for power upgrades

BADBLOWN572
02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Talk to STV_Keith. He hooked me up with the Edge with Attitude and it is worth every penny. No problem breaking 37" tires loose. :cool:

BoatFloating
02-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Just buy the Chevy or GMC and call it a day Brian..... ;)

VEGASBABY
02-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Chev makes a nice car with a box on the back , if you want a truck buy the Ford. If you use 4 wheel drive much you will replace the Chevs front end, I'm on # 4 now and this is in 3 different trucks. I agree 100% Ive owned a Chevy ,now I own a Ford and I like the idea that im driving a truck! I wanted luxury I bought a Benz, I wanted a truck, I bought a FORD straight up, Dam good and dependable!!!

Speedin' Ian
02-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I know there are a couple people on here from both sides that love to bash the opposing brand but for what it is worth I currently know five people with 6.0, none of which have had problems. I also know of about five people with the D-max, only one of which has had problems (injector issues). I think the D-max tends to get slightly better mileage, but when you compare equally equipped stock trucks the Ford is faster. The Chevy seems to be more comfortable, but the ford seems to have more room. Chevy definately rides better,and from what I hear the trans is better. My dad has an 04 Ford and the only time he drives it is when he is towing a heavy load and he has had no tranny problems.

No Regrets
02-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the info- Keep it coming. I just drove the Ford an hour ago. I drove the GMC yesterday. I can get a better price (about $2500)on the Ford thru my hook up than the GMC, but thats not a huge decider. The GMC is quieter and mor comfy- Like my 02 2500 8.1 Allison. The ford felt like it was framed on foam- very solid and rattle free. Way more headroom in the ford Im 6'4"- Both new ones can u turn like a friggin car. Ford whistled pretty loud. Both warranties are similar. Interesting to hear about 6.0 L in the ford maybe disappearing this soon? Wheels on the ford (18's) will look pretty good w/ bigger rubber. GMC pizza cutters have to go -$$$. Ford has 2.9% for 5 yrs and GMC has 0% for 5 years. :confused:
Who else has had or heard bad things on the Duramx?
Thanks again.
PS-Thanks for Jay's #, but Im going GMC-no likey Chevy front end. Can he sell GMC?

NashvilleBound
02-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Dodge 350 4x4 dually w/cummins 24 valve 5.9 6speed, 3.55 gears i pull a 30' chriss craft@ 6900# and still get 17-18mpg,,,i've had fords and chevys and they are nice trucks but you cant beat a cummins period!!!
I have the 7.3 Powerstroke with everything Banks makes...everything.. I got SMOKED by a Dodge deisel the other day....I could not believe it. He had to be running propane. As a general rule tho never get behind a Dodge truck on the road...they have no idea how to drive.....obviousely there are exceptions to that rule :cry: :cry: :cry: :notam:
We can fit 5 big guys into the Ford and its a very tight fit into the Chevy. As well member ChaddyShack has had his motor pulled (chevy)a few times for major repairs. But I think the problems are getting addressed. Really, either one you'll be happy with.

Jordy
02-09-2005, 02:58 PM
I agree 100% Ive owned a Chevy ,now I own a Ford and I like the idea that im driving a truck!
So you'll buy an inferior product because it rides worse? That doesn't make a lot of sense. That's like selling your 27' cat because you like the way your 18' flattie rides at Havasu or Parker on a holiday weekend. :idea: :jawdrop: :D

Jrocket
02-09-2005, 03:09 PM
I think Jordy lives for these Ford,Chevy,Dodge debates! :p

Jordy
02-09-2005, 03:15 PM
I think Jordy lives for these Ford,Chevy,Dodge debates! :p
There isn't much to debate from what I can tell. Besides, I'm partial, I admit it. I just dont' understand why someone wouldn't want a truck because it rides too nice. :hammer2: :idea: :D

Desert Rat
02-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Bigger back seat for the Ford. More comfortable than the Chevy IMO too.

Ivan Dan
02-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Let me preface this with.....I'm a Ford guy and have been for a long while. But I just bought Toby's 04 GMC Duramax and so far I LOVE it. The power with the Edge is amazing and I can't wait to get the intake and exhaust done.
Jordy what intake and exhaust do you run?

Jordy
02-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Let me preface this with.....I'm a Ford guy and have been for a long while. But I just bought Toby's 04 GMC Duramax and so far I LOVE it. The power with the Edge is amazing and I can't wait to get the intake and exhaust done.
Jordy what intake and exhaust do you run?
I've got the K&N FIPK intake, basically a cold air kit and Gibson Stainless exhaust. If you want the Gibson I can get you a deal on it, then do a 3rd party pickup at their shop in Corona and it will save you taxes/shipping and that kind of fun stuff. :D

Domn8er
02-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I had an 04 2500 HD 6.0 4x4 LB not diesel so I can not compare the two engines. I currently own an 05 F-250 SD FX4 LB 6.0 Diesel. After getting crappy gas mileage on the Chevy when towing, I knew I wanted a diesel. I was a three time Chevy owner so it was hard for me to switch. But, what made my decisions were...Ford had more interior room, better towing capability, had the integrated trailer braking system and at the time was offer a better deal. My Chevy definitely rode better but that was about it. I'm getting about 14 miles per gallon. I only have 4k miles so far. I also just got a RBP exhaust and a predator programmer with an air raid intake. I beat up on a way LIGHTER Dodge Hemi the after I got the kit.

Froggystyle
02-09-2005, 05:54 PM
That's great mileage for any truck. Which truck is it and what size boat are you towing?
Chevy 2500HD with some mods. The Edge got me some mileage when I have the restraint to take it easy. Best economy I have found is with the power setting on 5 and the CARB setting on 2. Plus, running about 65 mph the whole way.
The single biggest jump in mileage was lowering the truck. Over 8 mpg over the lifted version. No argueing it either. I drove it for a year with a 8" lift and 37's, and since October with it slammed on 22's. It just gets a ton better mileage.
And, it tows a lot nicer too.
Here is a pic of it right before SEMA... It looks a little different now. Most of the big logos on the side are now subdued and on the bedcover and hood. In addition, it a bout of fury with some sheetmetal tools to the underside of the fenders, it now finally lays frame.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/desert_small.jpg

No Regrets
02-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all your input.
Its official- got my first diesel. 05 Gmc crew cab 4 x 4 SLT- short box-
pix to follow.
Thing rides sooo smooth for a 4by knocker- quiet too.
Now-
whats the best hop up and exhaust for the $$$????

dicudmore
02-17-2005, 03:17 PM
pix to follow.
Now-
best hop-up you can do is the "edge" with attitude monitor....absolutely AWESOME :D
try that by itself, you won't need to change the exhaust

HammerDown
02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
pix to follow.
Now-
If ya like the "guiet ride"...why change the exhaust?

Not So Fast
02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm not a diesel lover but I sure am interested in the Toyota Turbo Tundra that is due out in the near future. The figures I saw were something like 305 HP and over 600 LBS of torque, good enough for me!! NSF :2purples:

dicudmore
02-17-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm not a diesel lover but I sure am interested in the Toyota Turbo Tundra that is due out in the near future. The figures I saw were something like 305 HP and over 600 LBS of torque, good enough for me!! NSF :2purples:
the big 3 are all over 300/600 already

Jordy
02-17-2005, 04:45 PM
try that by itself, you won't need to change the exhaust
Not exactly correct. The intake and exhaust help the engine breathe, move more air, and most importantly, lower the EGT's by getting more hot exhaust out faster. While it's not necessary, I HIGHLY suggest doing it at one point, preferably, sooner than later. It's only another $500 or so. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. ;)

dicudmore
02-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Not exactly correct. The intake and exhaust help the engine breathe, move more air, and most importantly, lower the EGT's by getting more hot exhaust out faster. While it's not necessary, I HIGHLY suggest doing it at one point, preferably, sooner than later. It's only another $500 or so. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. ;)
correct....I was just implying that the truck would make good power with stock exhaust...

JJT4BOATING
02-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Brian,
Congrats on the truck! LIGHTING ATTITUDE (no problems spinning the tires with 37's on it) is the chip we have in our 2004 Ford. Yes we are selling the Hallett. Nothing bought yet, looking for something with two motors, Hallett still. You gonna keep yours for awhile? Saw that you are selling your parkmodel trailer. Upgrading?

Eliminator 4 Life
02-17-2005, 07:16 PM
I have had both trucks a 2004 ford f250 6.0 PSD 4x4 4 door short bed and I have now a 2004 GMC 2500hd DMAX 4x4 4 door short bed. They are both great trucks. I feel "Jordy dont jump my ass my opinon here "I feel the ford is quick unchipped and there tranny shifts smoother but I also feel the d max is built more solid. if you need room the ford is the truck for you cause I have a hard time sitting in the cab of the gmc for 7 hours since im 6'5". the 2005 fords ride really smooth with the coil over shock pretty close to the same as the gmc I feel the gmc are more luxurious so if you want nice feature go GMC good luck and for the record my Ford was a LEMON i sued them and got all my money back.. :hammer2: :hammer2: :D