PDA

View Full Version : Best Dash Gauges

BADASS38CHEVY
02-10-2005, 11:50 AM
What are the best boat dash gauges ? will plastic lenses discolor ? which ones are glass lenses ? When running a whipple what other gauges do you run ? What are all the gauges that you need ? Do you need a drive temp gauge ? I dont want to run a smartcraft gauge.

RiverDave
02-10-2005, 11:59 AM
What are the "best?"
Well.... These Nexus ones are pretty bad ass
Nexus Guages by Autometer (http://hp.autometer.com/products/nexus/index.html) I don't know if they make all of them that you'd need for marine use though..
Personally I like the Autometer Ultra - Lite series alot.. Silver on Silver (that silver is matching to a certain Pewter as well BTW)
Ultra Lite (http://hp.autometer.com/products/ultra_lite/package_solutions/package_solutions.html) Plus if you have a pressure driven speedometer you can order a matching autometer from Rex Marine. (not sure what other types he has that will match, but I know he has these)
Here's some other autometers to take a look at...
[url=http://hp.autometer.com/buyers_guide/product_lines/product_lines.html]Autometer General Products/url]

Jbb
02-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Autometer Pro Comps are my Favorites..!...and they're best when purchased from Rex Marine!
ps thanks for the catalog Mike ...It Rocks!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0002.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0051.JPG

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I had a close look at AutoMeter gauges and find them extremely nice. I chose to buy Livorsi and like them a lot too.
Other than style, I can't tell much difference between a few of the highest end brands -> AutoMeter/Livorsi/Fariah.
All seem to offer liquid filled, GPS, etc., etc.... features.

RiverDave
02-10-2005, 12:04 PM
I just PM'ed RexOne about those AutoMeter Ultra Lite guages. I thought the Ultra Light had a white background ie silver on white and the "Silver" has the Silver on Silver.
I NEED to know this cause I dont want 2 different style guages.
BTW Dave - Check your email in about 15 minutes.
Forensic
I'm not a guage expert Forensic, I might have gotten that wrong.. LOL Either way you can order them with any face color you want I'm pretty sure? Not 100%...
RD

BADASS38CHEVY
02-10-2005, 12:16 PM
How do the AutoMeter gauges hold up to water and moisture ? and what all gauges do you recommend ?

Steamin' Rice
02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I selected Livorsi monster gauges with separate small smartcraft monitors.. I like the look of the Livorsi gauges, and with the smartcraft monitors I can keep track of fuel burned, fuel efficiency, range, etc....

Steamin' Rice
02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Almost forgot.. I think that most people recommend water pressure, fuel pressure, and boost gauges for blown motors..

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Seriously... how different are these things internally? I thought AutoMeter built the guts to most of the gauges we use anyway.

Jbb
02-10-2005, 12:37 PM
How do the AutoMeter gauges hold up to water and moisture ? and what all gauges do you recommend ?
I have never had a problem...and they got wet all the time!

Rexone
02-10-2005, 12:39 PM
I'll throw you another curve. Ultra Lite Marine Chrome is now available too. It's a standard Ultra Lite with a Chrome Bezel instead of Silver anodized. I will have them on the website too. I have most in stock now. Complete line just like Ultra Lite Marine regulars.

BADASS38CHEVY
02-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I'll throw you another curve. Ultra Lite Marine Chrome is now available too. It's a standard Ultra Lite with a Chrome Bezel instead of Silver anodized. I will have them on the website too. I have most in stock now. Complete line just like Ultra Lite Marine regulars.
I was looking at your online catalog under your marine ultra lite gauges.what are the ones in the picture in the upper left corner with the red windshield.the have a little tilt to them.with a bigger chrome ring.

Havasu Cig
02-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I selected Livorsi monster gauges with separate small smartcraft monitors.. I like the look of the Livorsi gauges, and with the smartcraft monitors I can keep track of fuel burned, fuel efficiency, range, etc....
Our new boat is set up the same way. I have had Gaffrig / Livorsi's in all my other boats as well and have been real happy with them. I have also heard good stuff about the Smartcraft set-up.

PC Rat
02-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Does anyone make a speedometer with the extra tattle tale needle?
I have an older one but it doesn't match the rest of the gauges.
Brian

Tom Brown
02-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I have never had a problem...and they got wet all the time!
You should really consider putting the flush plug back in.

Jbb
02-18-2005, 01:47 PM
You should really consider putting the flush plug back in.
Dont start with me Canatard.... :sqeyes: ................ :D

Rexone
02-18-2005, 02:50 PM
I was looking at your online catalog under your marine ultra lite gauges.what are the ones in the picture in the upper left corner with the red windshield.the have a little tilt to them.with a bigger chrome ring.
Those are simply polished angle gauge bezels mounted behind the Pro Comp White Marine gauges.
I hope to have all the new Ultra lite chrome section live on the website before Monday. Shooting the pics right now. The Ultra Lite Chrome have a chrome Superbezel (part of the gauge) with the traditional silver Ultra Lite Marine dial. Basically a chrome Superbezel on them instead of silver anodized that are on the standard silver Ultralite Marine. You can still mount any type of gauge bezel (angle or flat) behind any of them.

Rexone
02-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Does anyone make a speedometer with the extra tattle tale needle?
I have an older one but it doesn't match the rest of the gauges.
Brian
All the Autometer GPS speedos feature a recall feature that you activate with a simple switch setup. I still have some 4" liquid filled pressure speedos but not many are using them anymore with the advent of GPS. Those are available with the tattle tale needle still. If you have one of these and want to make it somewhat match the AutoMeter pro comp we make a screw on matching Superbezel to replace the stock plastic one that comes on the gauge.

Kindsvater Flat
02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I have 3 of the Ulta-lites and have not had a problem for 3 years. 2 fuel press, 1 for each pump, and 1 oil pressure. All 3 are mechanical type.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscboat/motor.JPG
BTW you can see topless's trailer in the background :D