PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Home Builders

INSman
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I have it narrowed down somewhat to probably either HILLTOP HOMES or BRIDGEWATER HOMES. Would anyone care to share either their short-term or long-term experience with either of these builders, good, bad, or indifferent?
I am looking to build about a 1,700 to 1,800 house for personal use and light winter rental. Other quality builders that I should be considering that don't charge an arm and a leg ??

Kachina26
02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm with Bridgewater right now, but I haven't broken ground yet. So far, good communication skills and calls back. Summerlove is very happy with them.

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
2 of my havasu friends have Diamondback Homes....
They were SLOW building them, but a very nice home all said and done

Mrs.Racer277
02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
We have been dealing with Affordable Homes. So far everything has been great.

INSman
02-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Hopefully Michele will chime in here soon, before I meet her out there tomorrow afternoon.

Mtg Pro
02-10-2005, 03:56 PM
sent you a pm

Kachina26
02-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Hopefully Michele will chime in here soon, before I meet her out there tomorrow afternoon.
Make sure she takes you through Rick's homes.

phebus
02-10-2005, 04:09 PM
In my opinion, it is getting to late into the year to get through the permit process, and have a home built by summer. There is too much good stock on the market right now, that a discriminating buyer could find exctly what he is looking for, at a better price than building on their own, and be able to move right in and start enjoying it now. I don't understand the option of building new in this market, unless you wanted something totally custom. SPAM (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69325)

TrojanDan
02-10-2005, 04:45 PM
In my opinion, it is getting to late into the year to get through the permit process, and have a home built by summer. There is too much good stock on the market right now, that a discriminating buyer could find exctly what he is looking for, at a better price than building on their own, and be able to move right in and start enjoying it now. I don't understand the option of building new in this market, unless you wanted something totally custom.
I totally disagree. I'm assuming INSman is building a home to meet his needs for years to come and not just to have something to stay in for the Summer of 2005 (he mentioned light winter rental). Yes, permitting is probably at least several months away, plus hiring a contractor, drawing the plans, doing the perc tests (if not done already) will also have to come prior to permiting. I think INSman relizes that he will be moving in sometime in the Fall. Well worth the wait in my opinion to get something you really want. That is of course some other smokin "for sale by owner" deal is out there. :cool:
INSman, I had DBU build my home. I recommended them to another friend who is currently using them. They did me right when they completed my house in Nov. 2002. I wish I can say the same for my friend who seems to be battling them all the way. :(

INSman
02-10-2005, 04:48 PM
In my opinion, it is getting to late into the year to get through the permit process, and have a home built by summer. There is too much good stock on the market right now, that a discriminating buyer could find exctly what he is looking for, at a better price than building on their own, and be able to move right in and start enjoying it now. I don't understand the option of building new in this market, unless you wanted something totally custom. SPAM (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69325)
Too funny !! :rollside: :rollside:
Your garage is TOO small :2purples: :2purples:
Trust me, I am in no rush to spend my money. I will have done quite well by the time the house is actually built, likely to be in October.

Music to my Ears
02-10-2005, 05:59 PM
You can't go wrong with Bridgewater IMO. I ended up going with J & P Development. He's buddies with Rob from Bridgewater. Although we are just about to break ground, things have gone well so far and I like his product. You might want to check out Summitt Homes as well. Many satisfied customers.

Not So Fast
02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
We have been in our house for three years now so I've calmed down a little. Having a house built was the most exasperating experience of my life, maybe because it was done long distance. the communication gap was just too much, all of the "he said" "she said" bull s--t just made my brain dizzy. My builder was Diamondback (aka Steve Anderson) and although it's turned out to be an OK house it was horrible trying to get things fixed but that is just the way Havasu is, get used to it. There are some good builders out there but if I had to do it over I would certainly look over the market for a house already built and what ever you do GET THE BIGGEST GARAGE you can afford, mine is 1300 sq ft and when we moved in I thought DAMN, this is big but now I want more, and dont forget garage door height the way some people have done,MINIMUM 8 feet with a finger at least 15 ft wide!!! GOOD LUCK, NSF :2purples: :2purples:

TCHB
02-10-2005, 06:17 PM
1. Get everything is the contract.
2. Do not leave anything to the contractor.
3. Completion date in the contract.
3. Have a legal person look at the contract and make sure it is what you want.
3. If the contractor will not put it in writing move on.
Good Luck

Mr.Havasu
02-10-2005, 06:26 PM
I tell most of my clients who ever you pick you will probably hate them by the end. Building can be very frustrating but you cannot argue with the equity you will have when it is complete. If you can stay emotionally un-attached and keep your blood pressure in check you should do well.
Most of the builders are using all of the same sub-contractors to do the work and when you compare amenities they all come in pretty close. It's a matter of finding the floor plan you like the best in your price range. If you polled enough people you are going to find someone who has had a bad experience with every builder out there.
Have a safe drive out INSman, I'll see you tomorrow afternoon.

summerlove
02-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Ok, here's my deal....
I really like Bridgewater. Rob has been great to work with. I originally bought a 1700 sq ft Bridgewater in 2003 and really liked it. I met Michelle and asked her to find me a lot that I could build a spec home for resale. She found me two lots right next door to one another and I bought one and my brother bought the other. That was in May 2004. I talked with Rob at Bridgewater and signed contracts and before we knew it we were under construction. Both homes will be complete the week after next. I know someone :rolleyes: who signed a contract before me and still has yet to pour the slab!
I ended up selling my other Bridgewater Home in January (Thanks Michelle!) and will be moving into the new one the first week of March. The other home (my brother's) is for sale and Michelle has the listing.
BTW, Bridgewater sells more homes in Havasu than any builder without a model - all the realators know good value when the see it!
The homes I am building are 1770 sq ft with a 40'by 3 car wide and 8' high doors. The house has tile roof, 3 bed/3bath, very nice open floor plan and it is avery good vacation home or one for long term use. They also will buld you the same home but bigger @ 2400 sq ft and a 4 car wide grage.
Good luck. Contact Michelle if you have any questions. I get my ***boat blocked at work so I'm very seldom on, or send me a pm and I'll get back.
Rick

summerlove
02-10-2005, 08:45 PM
We have been in our house for three years now so I've calmed down a little. Having a house built was the most exasperating experience of my life, maybe because it was done long distance. the communication gap was just too much, all of the "he said" "she said" bull s--t just made my brain dizzy. My builder was Diamondback (aka Steve Anderson) and although it's turned out to be an OK house it was horrible trying to get things fixed but that is just the way Havasu is, get used to it. There are some good builders out there but if I had to do it over I would certainly look over the market for a house already built and what ever you do GET THE BIGGEST GARAGE you can afford, mine is 1300 sq ft and when we moved in I thought DAMN, this is big but now I want more, and dont forget garage door height the way some people have done,MINIMUM 8 feet with a finger at least 15 ft wide!!! GOOD LUCK, NSF :2purples: :2purples:
300 miles away and I have not had one problem with Rob at Bridewater. The fact i am away has made it easier since I'm no there every day.....

phebus
02-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Rick , We met your new neighbors (they live two doors down on the bend) the other day in the channel. Very nice people. I warned them, but they are still looking forward to meeting you. They have a nice new Magic Deck boat
Curt and Valerie

CJ
02-11-2005, 02:38 AM
I bought my Bridgewater home last year while it was half done. I have had not problems and Rob has been on the ball with every wish. I would buy another!

riverliver
02-11-2005, 05:44 AM
We just finshed are build in Parker and I can tell you what "Not so Fast" and "Warlock25" said are the two most right on statments made on this thread.

voodoomedman
02-11-2005, 06:59 AM
I've heard good things about bridgewater. Also check out SunMeadow. My house is a SunMeadow and although it was just completed when we bought it I know someone who had theres built specifically by them and like them and they like them. I am very please with my house and their customer service has been good.

summerlove
02-11-2005, 09:33 PM
We just finshed are build in Parker and I can tell you what "Not so Fast" and "Warlock25" said are the two most right on statments made on this thread.
maybe you just had a crappy builder....I would us bridgewater again in a heartbeat. In fact, I already know the next home they will build for me. A beefed up version of the one they are doing now, 2400 sq ft with a 4 car X 40' deep garage....Warlock 25 can attest my experience has been anything but stressful.

summerlove
02-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Rick , We met your new neighbors (they live two doors down on the bend) the other day in the channel. Very nice people. I warned them, but they are still looking forward to meeting you. They have a nice new Magic Deck boat
Curt and Valerie
did you tell them the truth or did you lie to them? hopefully the latter!!!! :wink:

Kachina26
02-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Summerlove, I just was at your house and it is beautiful. But, the garage is a little shy of 40' in the double wide bays and even more short in the single bay. (38' in the big bays) Still a very big garage with room for my boat.

phebus
02-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Summerlove, I just was at your house and it is beautiful. But, the garage is a little shy of 40' in the double wide bays and even more short in the single bay. (38' in the big bays) Still a very big garage with room for my boat.
You must have used your California tape measure. Go out and get an Arizona one. Damn buyers!! :rolleyes:

summerlove
02-13-2005, 12:48 PM
picky, picky, picky! Thanks, I'll er sure to correct it...I can't wait to get in there and see it - two more weeks till it's done!

summerlove
02-13-2005, 12:50 PM
You must have used your California tape measure. Go out and get an Arizona one. Damn buyers!! :rolleyes:
Thanks for watching my back bro! LOL....

Garrddogg
02-13-2005, 01:33 PM
picky, picky, picky! Thanks, I'll er sure to correct it...I can't wait to get in there and see it - two more weeks till it's done!
Stop by Whitier and I'll let ya use my garage stretcher..
Maybe Bridgewater will get my next project, not havin much luck with my current builder!

Essex502
02-14-2005, 08:01 AM
While we haven't used Bridgewater as a builder we have heard lots of good things about them. We used Summit for the two homes we have in Havasu now and they also are great to work with. As someone already said they all use the same subs with only slight exceptsions.
Good luck.
And oh...BTW...our smaller house in Havasu is for sale...see Michele (Warlock25) for details.

Tyson Ross
02-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Verde Homes built my home. It is in the same, low price range as Diamond Back Homes. Very nice quality for the buck in my opinion.

INSman
02-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Verde Homes built my home. It is in the same, low price range as Diamond Back Homes. Very nice quality for the buck in my opinion.
Verde has a brand new 1,700 sq foot model that just opened up this weekend and it is very nice and priced extremely well. Tough decisions.
Summit has a very nice and quite large 1,900 sq. ft + model, that just needs a deeper garage, only a "Plan Change" away that is quite nice.

OGShocker
02-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Nice seeing you and your wonderful family this weekend. Good luck on making your choice. Most of all... Thank you for breakfast! :coffeycup

Essex502
02-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Verde has a brand new 1,700 sq foot model that just opened up this weekend and it is very nice and priced extremely well. Tough decisions.
Summit has a very nice and quite large 1,900 sq. ft + model, that just needs a deeper garage, only a "Plan Change" away that is quite nice.
We did that exact home....1,991 and lengthened the garage to 38' deep, lowered the floor 1' and widened it by 2'. Only a few thousand more on the price tag. Moved in this past weekend. Ended up with 1,100 square feet in the garage.
We have heard to stay away from Diamondback and Verde. This came from a variety of sources but not from personal experience so take it as it is - hearsay.

summerlove
02-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Nice seeing you and your wonderful family this weekend. Good luck on making your choice. Most of all... Thank you for breakfast! :coffeycup
You're welcome! And yes, I do have a wonderful family, if I don't say so myself. Look forward to next time.

summerlove
02-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Talk to your realator about verde. Very nice house, backed up almost a year.

INSman
02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Talk to your realator about verde. Very nice house, backed up almost a year.
I spent all weekend with John and Michele, and know of the 12 month dealio. Actually, if I can't use it this summer, 14 months is good for me !! :2purples: :2purples:

INSman
02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
NO, thank you for the Red Bull and Vodka, (without the Rhoofies :eek: )
As always, enjoy hangin' with the Dana boys. This summer should be fun. :D

INSman
02-14-2005, 07:42 PM
We did that exact home....1,991 and lengthened the garage to 38' deep, lowered the floor 1' and widened it by 2'. Only a few thousand more on the price tag. Moved in this past weekend. Ended up with 1,100 square feet in the garage.
We have heard to stay away from Diamondback and Verde. This came from a variety of sources but not from personal experience so take it as it is - hearsay.
Okay Essex, I now have to admit that we ran by your house and tried to break-in for a peek, but you got that new-fangled alarm that ruined all our plans !! :hammerhea :hammerhea All kidding aside, we peeked at the outside and it did look like you had a bigger garage than the plan, just hard to determine for sure. Now I can piggy-back off of your plan change and get the extra depth without the plan change fee, thanks !!! I owe you lunch !!!
Unfortunately, I am sure I will pay more than you did in the long run due to all the increases in lumber, concrete and such, but I really like the lay-out of the home and the bigger spare bedrooms, especially the one with it's own bathroom. If my partner is in, that will be my pick for sure. Just did not like the cultured marble bathroom counters and tub and most of the fixtures and hardware, which I will insist on changing.
Hope to meet you soon :D

Essex502
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Okay Essex, I now have to admit that we ran by your house and tried to break-in for a peek, but you got that new-fangled alarm that ruined all our plans !! :hammerhea :hammerhea All kidding aside, we peeked at the outside and it did look like you had a bigger garage than the plan, just hard to determine for sure. Now I can piggy-back off of your plan change and get the extra depth without the plan change fee, thanks !!! I owe you lunch !!!
Unfortunately, I am sure I will pay more than you did in the long run due to all the increases in lumber, concrete and such, but I really like the lay-out of the home and the bigger spare bedrooms, especially the one with it's own bathroom. If my partner is in, that will be my pick for sure. Just did not like the cultured marble bathroom counters and tub and most of the fixtures and hardware, which I will insist on changing.
Hope to meet you soon :D
I'll take the lunch if you but one! Yep the garage is enlarged to 38' deep. The slot for the boat is 13' wide as well since we added 2' to the width. It's a great layout with the 3rd bathroom as it makes for a mini-suite for guests or a partner! Summit is great to work with too.
Yes, the price has gone up at least two times since we signed the contract back in April. They were right on time with the 185 days to build it as promised. Our only delay was the retaining wall we needed to fit the width of the house on the lot and we did that outside of the contract with Summit so that delayed the actual start of the house until July 1st. It was ready to go and we signed all the docs and closed January 3rd.
As I offered...if your in town and would like to take a tour and see the kinds of upgrades we did, you're more than welcome!