PDA

View Full Version : My most recent experience with my boat dealer

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Let me set the stage for you. I ordered my new boat on Sept. 2nd, 2003. They said it would be 8-10 weeks. After waiting 7 months-my wife and I finally took delivery of the boat on March 13th, 2004. Why I put up with their lies and unfufilled promises is beyond me. Musta been high on the fiberglass from all the trips to their shop to find out what the hell was going on. When I finally took delivery, there were 3 gel coat items that I noticed and brought to their attention. The salesman as well as the owner told me, " No problem, we'll take care of it." Well, I tried to have them take care of it, but was told that they wanted to take care of the gel coat towards the winter, when they were slower. Fine, this was our new boat, we wanted to use it, not let it sit in the shop.
Fast foward to yesterday. Yesterday is when they called to tell me my boat was ready for pick up. They had me bring it in 1/31/05 while they were at the boat show. When I dropped it off, I reminded them again where the three areas were on the boat. One was a small, maybe an inch long spider crack. Another, a crack near the back of the boat, and the final item was an area inside the boat where they never finished sanding, so it looked very dull. Again they said, no problem. They did not have me sign ANYTHING. Then I pick it up, and am handed a $600 bill for the gel repair. My manufacturer changed owners in Feb-March 2004, and the new owner told me yesterday that my 10 MONTH OLD BOAT HAS NO WARRANTY!!!! I almost lost my mind and did something rash. After arguing with them, and telling them that I was not paying them to fix their mistakes-the owner told the salesman to get my boat and put it inside!! Plain and simple he does not give a crap about customer service or return business.
I ended up paying so I could finally take my boat home. I was so wound up that I could barely sleep last night. So I am left wondering how this new owner can say that I, as well as the rest of you out there with the same boat company, have no warranty unless you bought it from him in the past 11 months he has owned the company.
To top it off, I just got done using the duster to remove the 1/4 inch of dust and filth that collected on the boat while at their shop. This is when I noticed the DING in my blue Dana trim tab where one of their jackasses backed the boat into something!!!!! There is no F'n way I'm going to let them touch my boat again!!!!
AAAAAGHGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
p.s. who can tell me what to use so I can remove the manufactures name from my boat and trailer??? They are painted on. Thank goodness I didn't let them stitch their name on the seats!!!
Rant off.

jackpunx
02-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Let me set the stage for you. I ordered my new boat on Sept. 2nd, 2003. They said it would be 8-10 weeks. After waiting 7 months-my wife and I finally took delivery of the boat on March 13th, 2004. Why I put up with their lies and unfufilled promises is beyond me. Musta been high on the fiberglass from all the trips to their shop to find out what the hell was going on. When I finally took delivery, there were 3 gel coat items that I noticed and brought to their attention. The salesman as well as the owner told me, " No problem, we'll take care of it." Well, I tried to have them take care of it, but was told that they wanted to take care of the gel coat towards the winter, when they were slower. Fine, this was our new boat, we wanted to use it, not let it sit in the shop.
Fast foward to yesterday. Yesterday is when they called to tell me my boat was ready for pick up. They had me bring it in 1/31/05 while they were at the boat show. When I dropped it off, I reminded them again where the three areas were on the boat. One was a small, maybe an inch long spider crack. Another, a crack near the back of the boat, and the final item was an area inside the boat where they never finished sanding, so it looked very dull. Again they said, no problem. They did not have me sign ANYTHING. Then I pick it up, and am handed a $600 bill for the gel repair. My manufacturer changed owners in Feb-March 2004, and the new owner told me yesterday that my 10 MONTH OLD BOAT HAS NO WARRANTY!!!! I almost lost my mind and did something rash. After arguing with them, and telling them that I was not paying them to fix their mistakes-the owner told the salesman to get my boat and put it inside!! Plain and simple he does not give a crap about customer service or return business.
I ended up paying so I could finally take my boat home. I was so wound up that I could barely sleep last night. So I am left wondering how this new owner can say that I, as well as the rest of you out there with the same boat company, have no warranty unless you bought it from him in the past 11 months he has owned the company.
To top it off, I just got done using the duster to remove the 1/4 inch of dust and filth that collected on the boat while at their shop. This is when I noticed the DING in my blue Dana trim tab where one of their jackasses backed the boat into something!!!!! There is no F'n way I'm going to let them touch my boat again!!!!
AAAAAGHGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
p.s. who can tell me what to use so I can remove the manufactures name from my boat and trailer??? They are painted on. Thank goodness I didn't let them stitch their name on the seats!!!
Rant off.
WOW.. that really sux.. Im sorry man.. am I missing something.. or are you leaving the dealer name out of your post?

Mrs.Racer277
02-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Chris,
OMG
I am so sorry to hear this. I can not believe they did this to you. I have been hearing stories recently and this falls in along these lines. :confused:
Sean used EZ Off oven cleaner on the name on our boat. Worked good.

WYRD
02-10-2005, 03:33 PM
AAAAAGHGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
Rant off.
Who was the manufactuer? and what model of boat

BarryMac
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
That totally bites man, really sorry to hear that they didn't take care of you...

Mrs.Racer277
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Look into his profile and that will tell you what boat dealer without him having to disclose it. :)

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
If that happened to me, I'd cite the business name on as many sites as I could, share the story with as many people as possible, and saw their balls off. If they're going to behave like that, they are obviously happy to accept the consequences. :cool:

jackpunx
02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Look into his profile and that will tell you what boat dealer without him having to disclose it. :)
AHhhh.. well would you mind if we did?
thats just not right.. My builder told me he would give me new fenders for the trailer.. I told him .. cool.. let me play around for the summer and I'll get it back when I have some down time.. that was 2 1/2 seasons ago.. He's taking care of it now that my boat is down..
You should not have gone through this.. Im sorry .. it really sux

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 03:40 PM
really sucks Chris....sorry to hear it :(
I thought you finalized everything w/the NEW owner before you had the boat??
I'm not saying who until somebody says its OK

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks Dia,
I just feel equally bad for the rest of the peeps that bought a boat from them more than a year ago. I hope someone can explain how the new owner can say that all previous boats made by the company have no warranty????

Ivan Dan
02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
AAAAAGHGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
Rant off.
With this story....you are MUCH nicer than I would have been. I would be blasting the $HIT out of them on here right now if I was you. I say call them out......what do you have to lose at this point?

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 03:47 PM
ok I'll play....
it starts with a C and the owners name starts with a C too :D :devil: :coffeycup

Sleek-Jet
02-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Sux that this has happened, and the builder should step up and honor their product, regardless who owns the company.
That being said...
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but it get's kinda old when someone comes on here and rants about boat manufacturer didn't do this or that, now they won't take care of me, ect..
... and then not tell us the name of the parties involved. :hammerhea So after 2 or 3 pages of posts we finally get the names dragged out of someone.
Part of the power of these boards is spurring companies into action.
I guess it would just be nice to get all the info up front for once.

Jordy
02-10-2005, 03:50 PM
ok I'll play....
it starts with a C and the owners name starts with a C too :D :devil: :coffeycup
Ber, it's kind of cold in Phoenix today. :D
or at least it was at 1. :crossx:

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 03:52 PM
really sucks Chris....sorry to hear it :(
I thought you finalized everything w/the NEW owner before you had the boat??
I'm not saying who until somebody says its OK
Dan, I was not really told that there was a changing of owners until the week I picked up my boat. By that time, I had already signed all the paperwork and they had their money. I must be nieve, because I would have never thought that the new owner wouldn't honor the warranty on the boat.

Mrs.Racer277
02-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Ber, it's kind of cold in Phoenix today. :D
or at least it was at 1. :crossx:
You are one smart cookie Jordy no matter what they say. :rolleyes: :D

Mrs.Racer277
02-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks Dia,
I just feel equally bad for the rest of the peeps that bought a boat from them more than a year ago. I hope someone can explain how the new owner can say that all previous boats made by the company have no warranty????
I do not understand how they can't. But when they have your boat WTF can you do. This just sucks. :(

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Sux that this has happened, and the builder should step up and honor their product, regardless who owns the company.
That being said...
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but it get's kinda old when someone comes on here and rants about boat manufacturer didn't do this or that, now they won't take care of me, ect..
... and then not tell us the name of the parties involved. :hammerhea So after 2 or 3 pages of posts we finally get the names dragged out of someone.
Part of the power of these boards is spurring companies into action.
I guess it would just be nice to get all the info up front for once.
You know what, you are right. The boat WAS a Caliber 1. The first thing I'm doing is wiping that off the boat and trailer when I get home. Sleek-Jet, I guess i'm too nice of a person. This is really my fault because I gave them the benefit of the doubt once again:-( Won't happen again!!
I just hold to the old, " Karma is a Bitch!!"

Racer277
02-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Sorry to hear this Chris. I've heard there are even worse stories about them right now.
It does make you wonder what the new owner is buying if he isn't going to honor any old warranties, then f-over any potential repeat customers. Seems (if i was a manufacturer) I could offer lifetime warranties on the boats I build, then sell the company every few years to a family member, and never have to honor a thing?
I'm sure they don't know the power of these boards. I wish this story would have come out about a week ago, I would have liked to have brought it up to them at the boat show.
Again, sorry to hear it. You're boat was flawless to me, only you would notice what you think are flaws, enjoy it just to spite them!
S

jackpunx
02-10-2005, 04:00 PM
so it was Caliber 1 :2purples:
Let us help you .. and if we cant help.. we'll listen to you bitch ;)

Jordy
02-10-2005, 04:00 PM
You are one smart cookie Jordy no matter what they say. :rolleyes: :D
That's good, because I don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about what "they" have to say anyway. :D

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Just to be crystal clear with everyone-I am more than happy with my boat. The guys that do the gel work, fiberglass, and rigging are great. It is just everyone up the ladder from them. The owner, salesman, ect... couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag.

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry to hear this Chris. I've heard there are even worse stories about them right now.
It does make you wonder what the new owner is buying if he isn't going to honor any old warranties, then f-over any potential repeat customers. Seems (if i was a manufacturer) I could offer lifetime warranties on the boats I build, then sell the company every few years to a family member, and never have to honor a thing?
I'm sure they don't know the power of these boards. I wish this story would have come out about a week ago, I would have liked to have brought it up to them at the boat show.
Again, sorry to hear it. You're boat was flawless to me, only you would notice what you think are flaws, enjoy it just to spite them!
S
Sean, I'd like to hear these stories :D
Chris, I feel your pain but don't know what to recommend that would be productive....all any of us can think of would be :boxingguy or :hammerhea

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 04:04 PM
I'd change the title of this thread from "my boat dealer" to " Caliber 1".

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Dan, there really isan't anything that can be done. I just wanted to let others know of my experience with them. Those of you who have met me know I'm a reasonable person. I do however become unhappy when I am told something will be taken care of, to find out I am being lied to yet again. This time I have discovered that a price tag comes along with their B.S.!!!

Mrs.Racer277
02-10-2005, 04:09 PM
That's good, because I don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about what "they" have to say anyway. :D
I was J/K :D :D :D

jbtrailerjim
02-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Damn, that really blows!! They sound a real great place to deal with. :hammerhea Do you have written warranty from them, that states that is an item they warranty? If so, I would think you could take them to small claims court and recoup your money.

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 04:11 PM
If you were in Canada, you could take them to small claims court and contest the $600 charge.
I would, even if I wasn't sure I would win.

Jordy
02-10-2005, 04:12 PM
I was J/K :D :D :D
I wasn't. :D :D :D
Now, back to the issue at hand, Caliber 1Boats being crooks. :D :D :D

barbigrl
02-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Before I even finished reading your post I knew exactly what boat manufacturer you were talking about!!! Let's just say my firm is SUING THE SHIT OUT OF them at this very moment on behalf of some other people!!! And I am legally allowed to say that!! Public knowledge.....I got names and numbers too......ok now that was not legal!!

Throttle
02-10-2005, 04:17 PM
p.s. who can tell me what to use so I can remove the manufactures name from my boat and trailer??? They are painted on.
Use acetone and a soft wet terry cloth or micro fiber towel. Really sux that you had to deal with this. Enjoy your boat anyway! Lots of peeps will be happy to service it for you elsewhere, dont go back (for anything!).
Dont forget, there always Anaheim.

Ziggy
02-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Strangely enough I too went into their shop when boat shopping maybe only a month before you ordered yours...I got a funny feeling from the guy with some of the answers he gave me...be it my sensability or intuition. I walked and never considered the brand again. The boats were sharp looking and nicely finished but its the words he spoke to me that made my antenna's go up.
So I ordered my boat elsewhere and got it in the 6 weeks I was promised and even got a few extras Gratis....
I'm really sorry SoCalHD that you had this altercation with Caliber...I'd certainly look into getting your money back for the repairs based soley on the fact you didn't authorize any chargable repairs whatsoever, written or verbally. I can't tell you whether they fall under the same official scrutiny as us car dealers(BAR) but it'd be worth a look.
Other than that, enjoy the boat and have fun with it...thats why you got it anyhow. :smile:

ChumpChange
02-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Too bad you really can't see thier shop from the freeway. Otherwise you could make a big sign and park your boat there.

sigepmock
02-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Holy crap Chris I can't believe I missed this thread earlier. How did you pay? Cancle payment ASAP. If you didn't sign anything before they did the work then Screw them. If they're going to be dishonest give it right back to them. Stop payment, let them try to take you to court and then see what happens. Also try and get in on a class action law suit. I'm steamed right now, do you have your original contract with warranty??? If the new owner took over before you bought your boat and you did not recieve anything in writing telling you the warranty was not going to be covered then he is legally responsible to cover the warranty that was in place when you picked up them boat, the day you picked it up is the day that matters, if he owned it that day he owes you a warranty period!!!!!
I'll call you later when I cool down,

ChumpChange
02-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Holy crap Chris I can't believe I missed this thread earlier. How did you pay? Cancle payment ASAP. If you didn't sign anything before they did the work then Screw them. If they're going to be dishonest give it right back to them. Stop payment, let them try to take you to court and then see what happens. Also try and get in on a class action law suit. I'm steamed right now, do you have your original contract with warranty??? If the new owner took over before you bought your boat and you did not recieve anything in writing telling you the warranty was not going to be covered then he is legally responsible to cover the warranty that was in place when you picked up them boat, the day you picked it up is the day that matters, if he owned it that day he owes you a warranty period!!!!!
Oooooh! Don't get this guy angry. And whatever you do, do not follow him home if he cuts you off and you want to road rage on him.

OGShocker
02-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Man, THAT SUX! Buying a boat should make you smile.
These boards have a lot of power, use them. If you don't think they work, just ask Sy. :wink:
Good luck Chris.
OGS

sigepmock
02-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Oooooh! Don't get this guy angry. And whatever you do, do not follow him home if he cuts you off and you want to road rage on him.
Thanks for the support Matt!! :argue:

OutCole'd
02-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Great advise. Screw that BS. If you did not sign a estimate, I would not pay.

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Great advise. Screw that BS. If you did not sign a estimate, I would not pay.
prob is the bill is already paid....was paid to get the boat back. which for the record, is a NICE BOAT :D

Lake Ape
02-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I have added Caliber 1 to my prank call list. It's pretty fun too, the owner sounds like he's some indianish type person (that's with a spot on the head not a feather!). I am going to try to place some orders with all these phony checks I keep collecting from selling my car to the guy in South American that will give me my asking price plus $8000 that I am suppose to send back to him for shipping or something or other....Fun, Fun!! :cool: Mature, I know!

riverbound
They did not have me sign ANYTHING. Then I pick it up, and am handed a $600 bill for the gel repair.
I ended up paying so I could finally take my boat home. .
IF you paid by credit card this would be an easy dispute. Call up the C.C. Co. and dispute the charge. You did NOT authorize $600 worth of work to your boat. Its that Simple once the C.C. co. gets thisinfo they will contact the boat co. and if he can not come up with paperwork showing you authorizong the work they will give you your money back.
I had this happened to me once. We had a customer drop his car off then we forgot to have him sign the invoice later on we had this MOFO dispute the charge and even though we were in the right (the guy just wanted free stuff) we didnt have any signatures authorizong the work so we ended up losing out.

sigepmock
I told Chris to stop payment on the check. What do you guys/gals think?

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 04:48 PM
oh yeah

Lake Ape
02-10-2005, 04:49 PM
It's settled, I am buying a Caliber 1 boat with a DNE motor.

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
It's settled, I am buying a Caliber 1 boat with a DNE motor.
I thought it was Beck that was avoiding delivering engines??

Racer277
02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Right on, make them come work for it.
They will have a hard time proving Theft of Services without anything signed.
s

Jordy
02-10-2005, 05:00 PM
I thought it was Beck that was avoiding delivering engines??
You mean Broken Rebuilt Engines, who no longer have their shop in North Phoenix because Frank is building them out of his garage Beck? :D
I heard a funny story regarding the horsepower ratings on their engines seeing how they don't have a dyno and don't take them anywhere to be dynoed. Want to take a guess? Desktop Dyno. That is the word on the street at any rate.
Now back to Caliber 0 bashing. :D

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I guess I didn't catch this thread yesterday or when it started. On the way into work today I had a few spare moments and so I stopped by Caliber1 to look at some boats. Well I haven't been there in a few years and I could tell that the crew had changed just a little bit. I asked the sales guy (Anthony I think) If they had changed owners recently and he seemed a little touchy and asked why. I had not read this thread yet and, oh do I wish I had. while I was there They got a phone call about "the word on the street with Caliber1" and I guess he was talking to someone about this thread. :D

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I have added Caliber 1 to my prank call list. It's pretty fun too, the owner sounds like he's some indianish type person (that's with a spot on the head not a feather!). I am going to try to place some orders with all these phony checks I keep collecting from selling my car to the guy in South American that will give me my asking price plus $8000 that I am suppose to send back to him for shipping or something or other....Fun, Fun!! :cool: Mature, I know!
I saw that guy today and he fits your description pretty good. :D Just a little curious to know how much he knows about building boats???

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 05:14 PM
SHOTKALLIN-
This happened to me yesterday, 2/9/05. I was there around 3:00pm. My boat was the white with Blue and charcoal gray flames on it.

RP1
02-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Before I even finished reading your post I knew exactly what boat manufacturer you were talking about!!! Let's just say my firm is SUING THE SHIT OUT OF them at this very moment on behalf of some other people!!! And I am legally allowed to say that!! Public knowledge.....I got names and numbers too......ok now that was not legal!!
I take it that you are an attorney since you have a "firm". Maybe you can set him straight on the legalities of what was done, so that he has a positive direction to go in.

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:25 PM
And to think I was drooling all over that 25'er today. Oh well back to square one.

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:26 PM
SHOTKALLIN-
This happened to me yesterday, 2/9/05. I was there around 3:00pm. My boat was the white with Blue and charcoal gray flames on it.
I didn't see that one....I don't think is it still there today?

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 05:27 PM
And to think I was drooling all over that 25'er today. Oh well back to square one.
I know they have a 25'r there that is almost done, its that white and red one out front with no interior and a bunch of TRASH in it!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Jordy
I take it that you are an attorney since you have a "firm".
I believe she works at a firm as an assistant, but isn't an attorney. ;)

SoCalHD
the 2300 silencer with a 540?
No, mine has the 496HO

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I'll bet she's smoking hot. She can have quite a little potty mouth on her too. I'm in love. :D

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:32 PM
I have been kickin tires for a while. I have told myself not to spend my hard earned cash somewhere that screws over customers. So there are a couple of MFGS off my list just from reading the boards.

Jordy
02-10-2005, 05:33 PM
I have been kickin tires for a while. I have told myself not to spend my hard earned cash somewhere that screws over customers. So there are a couple of MFGS off my list just from reading the boards.
Looking at a 25' I'd have the Shockwave Tremor up at the top of my list. ;)

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 05:36 PM
As I recall, they've had quite a bit of good press here.
The customer service at SW is also top notch, from the friendly greeting of Jenn at the door, to Barry & Bob walking and talking you through every step of the process, cant be beat. SS, make sure you check out Shockwave in your search.
Huh... I guess it goes both ways. :cool:

Dribble
02-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Is Cliff Lotz no longer the owner (president) of Caliber 1???.
Who is this Mohammad Hussain guy ???
Last question. Hey Barbie do you work for Barth Berus and Calderon ???
Inquiring minds need to know.
I bought my Caliber new in July 2003, but I didn't buy it from Caliber. I bought it from Performance Offshore Marine. They treated us like royalty.

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I have heard Nothing bad about Shockwave-When my wife and I start looking for a 30' with twins, they will be one of the Mfg.'s we look at.

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Is Cliff Lotz no longer the owner (president) of Caliber 1???.
Who is this Mohammad Hussain guy ???
Last question. Hey Barbie do you work for Barth Berus and Calderon ???
Inquiring minds need to know.
I bought my Caliber new in July 2003, but I didn't buy it from Caliber. I bought it from Performance Offshore Marine. They treated us like royalty.
Dribble,
No, Al is the new owner of Caliber as of some time in the beginning of 2004.

beer hunter
02-10-2005, 05:46 PM
so it was Caliber 1 :2purples:
Let us help you .. and if we cant help.. we'll listen to you bitch ;)
Bummer for Caliber 1 as I was about buy to a fleet of them to rent at my new "Rent a Caliber 1 For The Day" company...guess I'll have to come up with a new name. ;) :D :hammerhea

hotlavey
02-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I talked to Cliff at the boat show. He told me that he had in fact sold the company to a person from India or Pakistan or some middle east country. He had agreed to stay on for a period of time to help the new owner. Hard to believe he would allow crap like this to take place, although, after looking at the 28 at the show, I can tell it's not the same company that Cliff owned.

Dribble
02-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I had this happened to me once. We had a customer drop his car off then we forgot to have him sign the invoice later on we had this MOFO dispute the charge and even though we were in the right (the guy just wanted free stuff) we didnt have any signatures authorizong the work so we ended up losing out.[/QUOTE]
In California there is a specific statute requiring signed authorization for automobile repairs. Boats are not considered motor vehicles as described in the Automotive Repair Act, therefore the estimate law would not apply in this case, HOWEVER, since there was no contract for services (for a price) there is a strong chance for recovery in small claims court. I guess the lesson here is to insist on a written agreement of what repairs are going to take place even if they are supposedly for no charge.
Caliber is spending big money advertising in Powerboat right now. They need to get their heads out of their ass. This is a bunch of bad press for a lousy $600.00.

RP1
02-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Got it... thanks for squaring me :D

BiggusJimbus
02-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Maybe he got taken on one of those internet scams. Still waiting for his cashiers check to clear.
I talked to Cliff at the boat show. He told me that he had in fact sold the company to a person from India or Pakistan or some middle east country. He had agreed to stay on for a period of time to help the new owner. Hard to believe he would allow crap like this to take place, although, after looking at the 28 at the show, I can tell it's not the same company that Cliff owned.

Lake Ape
02-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Maybe he got taken on one of those internet scams. Still waiting for his cashiers check to clear.
Thumbs up on that, I have six really nice fake cashiers checks so far and counting. :rollside:

bchbum
02-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Damn, I talked to Anthony for an hour at the show .We really liked the 25' He offered us a great deal on the 1 at the shop & good money for or Ultra trade in ,Think I'll call him & tell him no thanks & send your new boss to the forums
Looks like we'll look at Shockwave again

BoatPI
02-10-2005, 07:20 PM
I am guessing on this one, but I beleive they need a BAR license. You should call the 800 number for the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I nany event, you could sue in small claims court. I think the judge would bwilling to give you back the money, you have the sales slip, doc for the warranty and NO repair estimate!! Hearin is the operative phrase, Repair Estimate.

BoatFloating
02-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Ole Caliber 1.... Cliff has sold that company more times than I can count on one hand and after the new owner can't make it he takes the company back over. So here is the bottom line. Stop payment on check and if they feel stupid enough they will take you to small claims court where they would get their ass handed to them with no evidence that you authorized repairs....
So Stop payment Now!!!! period

Dribble
02-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I am guessing on this one, but I beleive they need a BAR license. You should call the 800 number for the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I nany event, you could sue in small claims court. I think the judge would bwilling to give you back the money, you have the sales slip, doc for the warranty and NO repair estimate!! Hearin is the operative phrase, Repair Estimate.
A boat mfgr or a boat repair facility is not required to be registered with BAR. Ergo, they are not required to comply with any statutes or regulations in the Automotive Repair Act, including giving written estimates. Would be nice but not going to happen anytime soon. The idea was explored several years ago but dropped.

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 07:49 PM
with out reading all of this stop payment on the check and bill them for the cleaning,THEN POST THEIR NAME AND BASH THE SHITT OUT OF THEM :D
You must have dealt with Caliber 1 before. :D

BoatFloating
02-10-2005, 08:11 PM
A boat mfgr or a boat repair facility is not required to be registered with BAR. Ergo, they are not required to comply with any statutes or regulations in the Automotive Repair Act, including giving written estimates. Would be nice but not going to happen anytime soon. The idea was explored several years ago but dropped.
I'm not sure your right on this one. A boat reapir facility must give you a written estimate of work to be done along with your John Hancock to authorizing them to do the work. If it wasn't true then when you went in for a oil change they would replace your motor and say pay for it or we will sell your boat under a lien....
Back to Cliff a second. I can almost guarantee that Cliff holds a percent of the company as he has done on previous sales of the company to be able to take it back over when the new owner defaults. If he sold it all at 100% I don't think he'd be hanging around.
I know that they filed BK here recently also under one of the names either Caliber 1 performance or another name. it's a trick allot of boat MFG do they name a company "Atomic Power Boats" and DBA it as Atomic Performance and the they have another name as Atomic Custom Boat's DBA Atomic Craft. They use one of them and file BK under Atomic Power Boats but this way they can keep the Atomic name and nobody knows the second part of the name.
How about Ultimate/Ultra/Warlock and so on we go......

BADASS38CHEVY
02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
AAAAAGHGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
Rant off.
If you didnt sign a invoice when you dropped it off.legally they cant make you pay for it.you could of called the police and they would of ask the dealer for a signed invoice for repair.if the dealer had no signed invoice they would of let you take your boat without paying them a dime.

BoatPI
02-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Acording to Coast Guard records, Cliff went out of Business in 2001. About that time another company called Caliber One Custom Boats, at 1884 Pomona Road, in Corona, went into business. the current owner has been the same since 2001, a guy named Randal Gentry, They use the MIC EKR. You cannot legally mfg boats without this license.
WAY beyond that, I have mentioned many times, does your boat MFG have libiality insurance. And ask to see a copy of the policy! That boat comes apart with your family about, who do you go after?????

Midlife Advantage
02-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks Dia,
thats the part that confuses me, when you purchase a company, manufacturer or service, you retain all warranty burdens as far as I know. dont take that shit.

RiverForUs
02-10-2005, 09:49 PM
..the current owner has been the same since 2001, a guy named Randal Gentry,
I believe it's changed hands twice since Randy. First to a couple that had something to do with Nitro Fish (supllied fuel for drag races?) and then to "Big Al" who I believe owns check cashing businesse(s) as well as maybe liquor stores/strip malls.

cola
02-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Cliff, next time you see him ask how long it took Mike Young to get his boat. If he ever did. Some might know who he is. I think his Co. is Big Gun exhuast for dirt bikes. If anyone knows how that deal ever finished, please post it.
Thanks, Mike

Debbolas
02-10-2005, 11:15 PM
I think this is the first thread I've seen without a single positive post FOR the boat company................
Sorry for your experience.....we LOVE our boat company............... :wink:

CJ
02-11-2005, 02:23 AM
This whole story sucks. It is amazing the number of manufacturers out there that treat people like shit knowing full well that most are active on message boards and will tell the world. I just don't understand.
Great that you bring this to light because now prospective buyers can be more careful. There are too many out there that do not deserve your mighty dollar. And there are too many that do not even search deep into the message boards for issues before buying.

Freak
02-11-2005, 05:12 AM
Ole Caliber 1.... Cliff has sold that company more times than I can count on one hand and after the new owner can't make it he takes the company back over. So here is the bottom line. Stop payment on check and if they feel stupid enough they will take you to small claims court where they would get their ass handed to them with no evidence that you authorized repairs....
So Stop payment Now!!!! period
HE's right - stop payment.

VEGASBABY
02-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Caliber 1 sucks, Caliber 1 sucks, Caliber 1 sucks, Caliber 1 sucks Whew! I feel better :D

Dribble
02-11-2005, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=BoatFloating]I'm not sure your right on this one. A boat reapir facility must give you a written estimate of work to be done along with your John Hancock to authorizing them to do the work. If it wasn't true then when you went in for a oil change they would replace your motor and say pay for it or we will sell your boat under a lien....
I'm a 20 year BAR investigator. If there is a section in the B&P Code (or any other code for that matter) that requires a boat repair facility to give a written estimate, I'm not aware of it. I know that there is no agency that licenses boat repair facilities. If there was, I would be working there.
This does not mean that Caliber complied with the law, as there are likely elements of civil or contract law that probably apply here. The most likely of which would be the fact that there was no agreement (written or otherwise) for services for a price. Therefore no valid contract. I dont know about LE down there but up here they won't strongarm someone into releasing a vehicle that was left at a facility voluntarily (without a court order). I have personally seen this happen with auto repair facilities that weren't even licensed. The vehicle owner is advised that this is a civil matter and to go to court.

Garrddogg
02-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Should we ALL call C1 and let them know what a big "BOOBOO" they made? :supp:

mondorally
02-11-2005, 08:08 AM
thats the part that confuses me, when you purchase a company, manufacturer or service, you retain all warranty burdens as far as I know. dont take that shit.
Not at all commenting on this situation but depending on how the deal is structured, the new company can buy all of the old company (assets, liabilities (including warranties), name, etc.) or any portion of the company (assets only, assets & name, etc.).
I'm more familiar with construction transactions but I've seen a company buy anothers assets and file a similar DBA so customers think its the same company but anyone with an issue with the old company (vendors, irate customers, etc.) are told to deal with the old company..........
Basically, anything is possible - find out, if possible, who is on paper as responsible for the company. I use:
CA Corp/LLC name search (http://kepler.ss.ca.gov/list.html)
See what you find. You may already have the info, but it gives you the legal name and who to serve if it goes to court.

dicudmore
02-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Should we ALL call C1 and let them know what a big "BOOBOO" they made? :supp:
I don't see how it could hurt.....
Who's going to ante up with the phone # ?? :wink:

Dribble
02-11-2005, 08:20 AM
LP/LLC
CALIBER 1 MARINE, LLC
Number: 200402210204 Date Filed: 1/20/2004 Status: active
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
Address
1884 POMONA ROAD
CORONA, CA 92880
Agent for Service of Process
MOHAMMAD A. HUSSAIN
1884 POMONA ROAD
CORONA, CA 92880

Norseman
02-11-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm really sorry SoCalHD that you had this altercation with Caliber...I'd certainly look into getting your money back for the repairs based soley on the fact you didn't authorize any chargable repairs whatsoever, written or verbally. I can't tell you whether they fall under the same official scrutiny as us car dealers(BAR) but it'd be worth a look.
Other than that, enjoy the boat and have fun with it...thats why you got it anyhow. :smile:
If you have any paperwork that was signed on delivery of the boat stating that these repairs were to be made, then I would haul CALIBER into court and get your money back. It should be a small claims court deal, and you can handle it your self.

BoatFloating
02-11-2005, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=BoatFloating]I'm not sure your right on this one. A boat reapir facility must give you a written estimate of work to be done along with your John Hancock to authorizing them to do the work. If it wasn't true then when you went in for a oil change they would replace your motor and say pay for it or we will sell your boat under a lien....
I'm a 20 year BAR investigator. If there is a section in the B&P Code (or any other code for that matter) that requires a boat repair facility to give a written estimate, I'm not aware of it. I know that there is no agency that licenses boat repair facilities. If there was, I would be working there.
This does not mean that Caliber complied with the law, as there are likely elements of civil or contract law that probably apply here. The most likely of which would be the fact that there was no agreement (written or otherwise) for services for a price. Therefore no valid contract. I dont know about LE down there but up here they won't strongarm someone into releasing a vehicle that was left at a facility voluntarily (without a court order). I have personally seen this happen with auto repair facilities that weren't even licensed. The vehicle owner is advised that this is a civil matter and to go to court.
I hear you and you know more about the BAR stuff than I do. But you missed the one section. The section called common sense. If I was a repair facility boat or auto and I knew I was going to charge that person X amount of dollars then I would make sure they signed a esitmate or be prepared to go to court.
Bottom line is stop payment on the check and make them do the leg work to go to small claims court. I doubt they will because they have nothing to support there claim.

mbrown2
02-11-2005, 10:47 AM
WOW!!!!! Caliber 1 Boats New Owner SUX....Don't buy a boat there....VOTE For Pedro...he will bake you a cake!

Dribble
02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
WOW!!!!! Caliber 1 Boats New Owner SUX....Don't buy a boat there....VOTE For Pedro...he will bake you a cake!
:D :D :D

sigepmock
02-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey Everyone.......THE POWER OF THE BOARDS ARE AWESOME!!!!!
I just talked with Chris (SoCalHD) and he said he has a couple of phone mesages from CLiff at Caliber1 and they want to make things straight. :D Too bad it took all this to make it happen and let's see if they actually make it right.....but it goes to show the boards are powerful..... :crossx: :D :devil:
Chris Mock

OutCole'd
02-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I just talked with Chris (SoCalHD) and he said he has a couple of phone mesages from CLiff at Caliber1 and they want to make things straight. :D Too bad it took all this to make it happen and let's see if they actually make it right.....but it goes to show the boards are powerful..... :crossx: :D :devil:
Chris Mock
That is great news !!!

mbrown2
02-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Great to hear the news.....
Wonder if they will bake him a Cake...
The Force is strong in the Boards... :lightsabe :lightsabe :lightsabe

Phat Daddy
02-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Chris Mock
Thats great news for SoCalHD... but CALIBER1 still SUCKS!!!!!

Dribble
02-11-2005, 03:08 PM
While their at it maybe we can insist that they update their website.
:hammer2:

H20 Toie
02-11-2005, 03:10 PM
It's to bad there wasn't a place like this when i bought my Commander boat, i would have know better than to deal with them and even though any boat can have problems if you buy a boat from a company that you know rips off it customers at least you should have known better.

SoCalHD
02-11-2005, 05:08 PM
People-
I just don't know what to say. I had a crappy experience, and just wanted to let others know what level of customer service they might expect. Besides the feeling of weight being lifted from just getting what happened off my chest, there was all of the good feedback, and insight on how the situation might be resolved. I didn't stop payment on the check simply because I am the kind of guy that even when hes' right, still ends up getting screwed. I was having dreams of courts holding me liable for 3x the amount of the check!!!LOLOL
I have been out all day seeing kids, and have had numerous calls from Cliff saying he wants to make this right. Even talked to Chris (Sigepmock), who let me know what kind of response this generated. I have read all the replies, laughed a lot, and even learned something new :D
I owe EVERYONE the cold bev, of their choice if I happen to see them out at the lake sometime in June!!! :wink: :wink: :D :D

Racer277
02-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Way to go Chris and good luck.
I know it's not really the 600 you're worried about, but the warranty.
Let us know the results.
s

dicudmore
02-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I owe EVERYONE the cold bev, of their choice if I happen to see them out at the lake sometime in June!!! :wink: :wink: :D :D
Hope it works out right for ya....
and my flavor is COLD....cya out there :D

bchbum
02-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Glad to hear it ,but we're still not buying from them .Going to look at Shockwave closer :cool: or maybe another Ultra

SoCalHD
02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Hope it works out right for ya....
and my flavor is COLD....cya out there :D
Cold??? Why, I just might have happen to have that flavor! :D

jbtrailerjim
02-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Hopefully they are going to take care of you. It still sucks that you had to do this in the first place. Customers should not have to go to this kind of trouble to get a problem taken care of on there boat.
Jim<---Still thinks the owner of Caliber 1 sucks. :mad:

Garrddogg
02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Thats good they are gonna make it right but the harm they did to their outfit is unrapairable.. Sucks to have to live with some choices we make

Mrs.Racer277
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear the news Chris. Keep us posted. And I am looking forward to a few more cold ones with you guys. :)

jdogginla
02-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Thats good they are gonna make it right but the harm they did to their outfit is unrapairable.. Sucks to have to live with some choices we make
Where does it say they're making it right? :hammer2:

jdogginla
02-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Where does it say they're making it right? :hammer2:
Never mind...........i somehow skipped page 5!! :hammerhea

purrfecttremor
02-11-2005, 08:17 PM
if they dont make it right there phone will ring forever and not to buy a boat!good luck! oh yea shockwave service is awesome to go along with quality boat.will by another one soon.

4-B
02-11-2005, 09:38 PM
It is nice to here a little positive news at the end of this thread.

rrrr
02-11-2005, 09:54 PM
LP/LLC
CALIBER 1 MARINE, LLC
Number: 200402210204 Date Filed: 1/20/2004 Status: active
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
Address
1884 POMONA ROAD
CORONA, CA 92880
Agent for Service of Process
MOHAMMAD A. HUSSAIN
1884 POMONA ROAD
CORONA, CA 92880
They should stick to owning convenience stores and run down motels. :rolleyes:

Throttle
02-11-2005, 10:04 PM
get em! way to go SoCalHD! good luck. see ya on the water!

Ultrafied
02-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Glad this is working out. Amazing how much "clout" this forum has.

Scape Goat
02-11-2005, 10:45 PM
I looked at there boats wife like em but I stuck to the classic in my sig.
I am glad I didn't buy a boat with basicly no warranty. That what used boats are for. I was evan offered a little cash help from previous owner on a gel crack. stand up dude I just never pursued it.
I guess if your going to buy new buy from the guys who been around for years or who have tooking care of a problem asap.
Best I heard was DCB replaced a complete boat when a costomers was stolen before delivery. There have me if I could afford it.
Screw the 600 bones I want a covereage of the warantee

Charley
02-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Best I heard was DCB replaced a complete boat when a costomers was stolen before delivery. There have me if I could afford it.
Not quite the scenario, but I know they took real good care of that customer ;)
There service is second to none

sdpm
02-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Here's the kicker. When you left there(all P.O'ed) you went to the gas station to fill it with gas and he got you again cause he owned the gas station!!! :idea: