PDA

View Full Version : Chili

boxscore
02-11-2005, 04:23 PM
who's got the best recipe? I need some help.

ChumpChange
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Can of Stagg

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
use ground turkey and not beef

OutCole'd
02-11-2005, 04:27 PM
I used to cook in Chili cook off's and the best recipe I ever used, we found on the back of the little plasic bottle. Gephardt was the brand. Got third place with it once. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Mr V's chili is pretty good.. :wink:

Tahiti350
02-11-2005, 04:37 PM
I won HOTTEST Chili at the last cookoff, but it is still edible. Let me know if you are interested in my recipe, but be advised, it's best to cook it outdoors, and don't plan on getting personal with anyone for a couple of days, because the Habenerro pepper juice can burn on tender skin. :220v: :2purples:

topless
02-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Mr V's chili is pretty good.. :wink:It's also good in the morning when you have a hangover. :2purples:

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-11-2005, 04:45 PM
It's also good in the morning when you have a hangover. :2purples:
LMAO!! yep it is a cure all.. and no gas.. :wink: :) at least not from me.. :p

HammerDown
02-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Chili makes me..... :umm:

HCS
02-11-2005, 04:49 PM
I used to cook in Chili cook off's and the best recipe I ever used, we found on the back of the little plasic bottle. Gephardt was the brand. Got third place with it once. :D
That's how I do it. Go to the store and look for recipes on the backs of bean containers. I place 5th once that way. :D

barbigrl
02-11-2005, 04:50 PM
It's also good in the morning when you have a hangover. :2purples:
I second that!!

OutCole'd
02-11-2005, 04:53 PM
That's how I do it. Go to the store and look for recipes on the backs of bean containers. I place 5th once that way. :D
Yep. My buddy & I decieded to cook in one. Both our Dad's had been cooking in them for years and we wanted to see what it was all about. Drinking & flirting is about all you do with a little cooking going on in between.
As a joke, we entered & beat the old men on our first time out. He never did forgive me for that one.

HCS
02-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I second that!!
Chilli in the morning. Yuck! I stick with cereal, usually Cheerios or Wheaties.
I have to stick to my diet, summers comming. :D

checkster
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Here you go......2 40's of HG800 down and decided to make chili today......Rain day in AZ so no work and the need for comfort food......
2 lbs of ground beef ............brown in skillet with garlic olive oil
1/2 white onion with the beef in the skillet
2 cups pinto beans boiled or soaked (over night)until soft
1 cup other beans (your choice......kindney and the like.....) boiled or soaked with the pinto beans use some of the water from boiling......
crock pot on high:
1-15 oz can of tomato sauce
1-15 oz can of Italian style stewed tomatos
1/2 red onion diced
1 tomateo diced
1 pablano pepper diced
1 jalepano pepper diced
1 tomato diced
small amount of cilantro cut small
2 pinches of cumin
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
1/4 tsp of red chili powder
1/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
add Beef from skillet and let cook until ingredients meld together.........
cook some corn bread....
Add choice of beer and whalha!!! ........Valentine's Day Present!!!
Yes.....you will sleep in the den......

Krazy K
02-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I have a awesome recipe. I just looked at a couple recipes and did some experimenting and came up with a recipe that kicks ass! If you want it, let me know...

checkster
02-11-2005, 05:41 PM
By the way....placed many times and can't remember what I put in the Chili at each comp.......I guess it is good because when I cook it, everyone shows up at the house to "SAMPLE"............could be the beer though...... :rollside:

THATJEFFGUY
02-11-2005, 07:09 PM
I've been a member of the International Chili Society for many years. So I could probably give you a winning recipe for a damn good "bowl of red". Just a hint...NO ingredient containing the word "Italian" should ever go in aREAL bowl of chili ! :hammer2:

THATJEFFGUY
02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
who's got the best recipe? I need some help.
Like I said, I've cooked and judged alot of chili over the past 15 years. Here's a good recipe, and remember a REAL "bowl of red" does NOT have beans !
1 cup onion, minced fine
1 canned green Hatch chile, chopped (Not the pickled stuff)
1.5 tablespoons fresh garlic minced fine
1/2 cup El Pato tomato sauce (yellow can)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cans chicken broth
8 tablespoons California chili powder, finely ground
2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder, finely ground
1 tablespoon hot New Mexico chili powder
4 tablespoons of cumin, finely ground
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Accent or meat tenderizer
2 teaspoons of lime juice
2 1/2 pounds Tri Tip beef, cut in 1"x1" cubes
4 ounces pork sausage
1. In a non-stick chili pot, combine onions, green chilis, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, 6 tablespoons California chili powder, salt, 1 teaspoon Accent. Bring to simmer. Cook 1 hour.
2. Brown beef and sausage and drain...set aside
3. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of California chili powder to the chili pot.
4. Add the beef and sausage. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding more chicken broth as needed.
5. Add the New Mexico chili powder and 2 tablespoons cumin to the chili pot and simmer another 45 minutes.
6. Add the remaining Accent, cumin, hot chili powders and lime juice. Cook for 30 minutes, adding chicken broth and salt as needed.

checkster
02-11-2005, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=THATJEFFGUY]Like I said, I've cooked and judged alot of chili over the past 15 years. Here's a good recipe, and remember a REAL "bowl of red" does NOT have beans !
you gotta be from Philly or Jersey................

NorCal Gameshow
02-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Like I said, I've cooked and judged alot of chili over the past 15 years. Here's a good recipe, and remember a REAL "bowl of red" does NOT have beans !
TJG, that el pato sauce is the shiznit....
grill the tri-tip before you cut it up and it takes the chili to another level :cool:

THATJEFFGUY
02-11-2005, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=THATJEFFGUY]Like I said, I've cooked and judged alot of chili over the past 15 years. Here's a good recipe, and remember a REAL "bowl of red" does NOT have beans !
you gotta be from Philly or Jersey................
...and why do you say that ??

THATJEFFGUY
02-11-2005, 07:49 PM
TJG, that el pato sauce is the shiznit....
grill the tri-tip before you cut it up and it takes the chili to another level :cool:
Yup the El Pato is good stuff ! I disagree with grilling the tri-tip though. By doing that, you are not allowing the chili flavor and spices to permeate the meat properly, and it also toughens the tri-tip.

Phat Matt
02-11-2005, 08:21 PM
I won HOTTEST Chili at the last cookoff, but it is still edible. Let me know if you are interested in my recipe, but be advised, it's best to cook it outdoors, and don't plan on getting personal with anyone for a couple of days, because the Habenerro pepper juice can burn on tender skin. :220v: :2purples:
Sounds like you might have to wipe with a snow cone the next day. :sqeyes:
:D

jlnorthrup122
02-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I really like to put cheetos in my chilli instead of crackers that is tha shiiiiizniit! Good luck yo!

Tahiti350
02-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Sounds like you might have to wipe with a snow cone the next day. :sqeyes:
:D
No, but I spent some "quality time" with my tools for a couple of days..... :eek: (how come there's no "plug the nose" emoticon???)