PDA

View Full Version : GM 5.3 Water Pump Failures

mtndewdrops
02-15-2005, 06:57 AM
Ours just went out on our '01 Yukon XL at 48K miles. A guy at work said his only lasted 36K on his pickup.
Lets hear your story :(

mrgoslow
02-15-2005, 07:08 AM
an attorney or you glass isnt really always half full. suck it up. its four years old.

mtndewdrops
02-16-2005, 08:23 AM
No Sorry, I'm an Engineer not an Attorney.
Hey, A bad water pump is better than a bad transmission...that is the half full part. ;)
Just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem. :D

Flying Tiger
02-21-2005, 05:57 AM
My friends with fleets say replace the water pump, fuel pump and alternator on your american trucks before 60k for reliability.
When it starts having a hard start problem it's the fuel pump.
65k on my gmc waterpump, no probs.
Did you have complete seal failure, or did the weep telltale tip you off?
My Toyota has 400,000 on it's water pump, can't see why the Yank trucks can't get the same.

cdog
02-21-2005, 08:43 AM
A little off topic but.... I bought a 93 toyota 4x4 V6 in 1996 with 50k miles on it and it was a piece of She it. The head gaskets blew out at 65k miles and they did'nt tell me about the recall untill after I bought and installed the 350 dollar head gasket kit. Then the water pump went out, then there was scalling on the cylinders so the whole damm engine needed to be replaced or rebuilt. They ended up fixing it for me but it took 6 weeks and I could'nt get a rental car because I was 20.
After that I swore to only buy what I know about. And that's chevys. You can rebuild a 350 for 350-500 bucks. So I bought a used 93 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy for 9k and drove it for 200,000 miles and only replaced the rear end, fuel pump and alternator. Not a bad deal. I sold the truck with 315k miles on it to a friend from florida and he took it home and put another 75k miles on it and sold it again. Sometimes crap happens but I can vouch the GM stuff is pretty dam reliable. And I base my comments from experiance of working on them and hot rodding chevy engines.

mtndewdrops
02-24-2005, 04:29 PM
My friends with fleets say replace the water pump, fuel pump and alternator on your american trucks before 60k for reliability.
When it starts having a hard start problem it's the fuel pump.
65k on my gmc waterpump, no probs.
Did you have complete seal failure, or did the weep telltale tip you off?
My Toyota has 400,000 on it's water pump, can't see why the Yank trucks can't get the same.
The seal was weeping, and the check coolant indicater came on once. I will keep that fuel pump info in mind. Thanks
Too bad this part is so hard to replace on this vehicle. I put one in on my last boat in just 2 hrs for $100. I paid $380 to get this one installed.

77charger
02-24-2005, 09:25 PM
we have the 6.0s in our work trucks same as 5.3 only bigger bore the water pump went out on my truck at 50k it was just a seep of water on the floor no bearing failure also went thru 1 fuel pump besides that been good so far.
As for toytas my story is similar to cdogs only i had valve train problems dropped a valve then fixed about 40k later same side of motor.Biggest POS i ever owned fixed it sold it bought an 89 3/4 ton burb with 150k blew head gasketshortly after about 15bucks to repair in parts i did the labor drove it to 210 rebuilt motor(still going strong wanted more power and had to replace the flexplate)then drove to 230k replaced fuel pump thats it.traded in for a new 2500hd but i do miss the burban for the desert trips do regret getting rid of i do like my new truck though also but payments do suck :cry:

Flying Tiger
02-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Every Toyota I've owned has gone well over 400 K with very little problems.
I love My GMC 496/Allison 4x4.
My Nissans have all been crap.
My friends with new Titans complain of the squeeks and rattles.
If you bought a used Toyota and had problems chances were the speedo was spun back. Takes about 20 seconds with a letter opener to take 350k miles off the clock.
Ford and GMC have seen the light with Nissan and Toyota announcing early last year they're bringing out 3/4 ton Pick Up trucks:
GM and Ford will soon be sharing a 6 speed Allison auto option.
Ford needs it.

mtndewdrops
02-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Every Toyota I've owned has gone well over 400 K with very little problems.
I love My GMC 496/Allison 4x4.
My Nissans have all been crap.
My friends with new Titans complain of the squeeks and rattles.
If you bought a used Toyota and had problems chances were the speedo was spun back. Takes about 20 seconds with a letter opener to take 350k miles off the clock.
Ford and GMC have seen the light with Nissan and Toyota announcing early last year they're bringing out 3/4 ton Pick Up trucks:
GM and Ford will soon be sharing a 6 speed Allison auto option.
Ford needs it.
I have 170K on my '94 Camry...just broke in.
I agree with the statement on the Nissans...crap

77charger
02-25-2005, 03:44 PM
mine was only a year old at the time at bought at a dealer.Those v6s had lots of head problems unlike the 22r inline 4s that can run forever.Ehat pissed me off was their service dpts.I wILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER ONE!