PDA

View Full Version : Durango Ball Joint ?

Ryphraph
02-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Does anyone here have a Dodge Durango that was recalled? I just got mine repaired yesterday and wanted to know if it's typical for the upper control arms to be beat to HE!! when it is done.
Ryph

voodooCanoe
02-15-2005, 08:31 AM
NO, Shouldn't have any noise from upper control arm.
They shouldn't have removed the control arm for the repair.
They just cut the rivets off of the original ball joint and bolt the new ones
on. Then set toe.

gmocnik
02-15-2005, 08:33 AM
wifes durango got the recall fix a few weeks back..
i drove the car a few days later and heard strange noises....stupid dealer had f'd it all up....i had my local brake/alignment guy do the repairs the right way...
$8 an hour "mechanics" at the dealer...no thanks...

Boatcop
02-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Let me guess. 2000 or 2001 Durango?
Dodge, NHTSA and the NTSB is looking into the ball joint problem on 2000 and 2001 Durangos and Dakotas. The ball joints were manufactured with a brittle steel, which have failed and caused several accidents, some fatal.
Did you pay for this, or did Dodge pick up the tab? If you paid for it, I'd go back to them and demand that they foot the bill. Don't take "NO" for and answer. I don't think an official re-call has been issued yet, but it's under investigation.
I'll see if I can find the web-site with the info for you and post it here.

Ryphraph
02-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Actually they do not make any noise, but they are really gouged up like they pounded the snot out of them to get the ball joints off.
Ryph

Ryphraph
02-15-2005, 08:36 AM
The work was covered under the recall. I wouldn't have done anything with it but I was hearing a pop sometimes on tight turns. It is the wifes car and she takes it in. When I get to look at it the damage from the dealer is done.
Ryph

Boatcop
02-15-2005, 08:39 AM
I found the info. It take a lot of hopping around to get to it, but here's the info from NHTSA:
NHTSA Action Number : EA03023 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : 04V596000
Make : DODGE Model: DURANGO
Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Year : 2001
Component : SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:UPPER BALL JOINT
Date Investigation Opened : November 19, 2003
Date Investigation Closed : February 11, 2005
Summary:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION (DCC) IS RECALLING THE TARGET POPULATION OF APPROXIMATELY 600,000 MY 2000 THROUGH 2003 DURANGO AND DAKOTA VEHICLES WITH FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE TO REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER BALL JOINTS WITH REDESIGNED PARTS THAT DO NOT HAVE THE JOINT INTEGRITY CONCERNS AND HAVE SUBSTANTIALLY IMPROVED JOINT RETENTION CAPACITY (NHTSA RECALL NO. 04V-596). THOUGH DCC DOES NOT ADMIT TO A SAFETY-DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT COMPONENTS, ODI BELIEVES THAT THE FACTS IN THIS INVESTIGATION SHOW OTHERWISE. BECAUSE OF THE LOW RATES OF SEPARATION INCIDENTS IN THE REMAINING SUBJECT VEHICLES, A SAFETY-RELATED DEFECT HAS NOT BEEN IDENTIFIED IN THOSE POPULATIONS AND FURTHER USE OF AGENCY RESOURCES DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WARRANTED. THE CLOSING OF THIS INVESTIGATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A FINDING BY NHTSA THAT NO SAFETY-RELATED DEFECT EXISTS IN THOSE VEHICLES. THE AGENCY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TAKE FURTHER ACTION IF WARRANTED BY THE CIRCUMSTANCES. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, SEE THE ATTACHED CLOSING REPORT.

slotracer
02-15-2005, 08:57 AM
is it only the 4 wheel drive's that are bad? thanks
pat(slotracer) :lightsabe

Ryphraph
02-15-2005, 09:02 AM
I guess it is my fault for continuing to use the dealer in my area. I always seem to be disappointed in the quality of their work. Has anyone had good experience with a particular Dodge dealers service? I think I need to switch.
Thanks...Ryph

Kahuna
02-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Come on just Man up and get a 3500 4X4 with the big turbo and propane injection so we can get to the river faster!! :2purples:

Ryphraph
02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
That is gonna be a hard sell...To the BOSS.
Ryph

pussywuped
02-15-2005, 05:56 PM
I have a 2000 rango 2 wheel drive, I received a letter stateting that the ball joints now have a 100,000 mile warranty on them. They are not calling it a recall but an extended warranty.

slotracer
02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
thats the same letter i got from them also. how do you tell if you have one going bad? mines a 2000 and only has 46,000 miles on it.
pat(slotracer) :hammer2:

JB in so cal
02-16-2005, 10:40 AM
I thought this thread was about some bar in Colorado...