PDA

View Full Version : The A390 pic: Not Like Boeing to Just Roll Over,,

Flying Tiger
02-17-2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.dumontsanddunes.com/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album03/A390_1.jpg
Usually Boeing leads the way in Aerospace Tech., are they taking a pass in competing with the A390 Scarebus?

Forkin' Crazy
02-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Wow!!! I bet I could fit my whole town in that thing!!!! :eek:

AirtimeLavey
02-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Dayam...that's a terrorist attack waiting to happen... :eek:

XtrmWakeborder
02-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Dayam...that's a terrorist attack waiting to happen... :eek:
No kidding, i think they are big enough as is. The more people they squeeze in, the more that die when the plane goes down.

Mandelon
02-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Its the Spruce Goose of the new millenium. Airbus just did it to say they could. Underwritten and subsidized by half a dozen European governments, how can Boeing compete?, and why bother......demand won't justify the costs. Only a few airports can accomodate that beast. They will only sell a dozen or so.....
It'd be like flying a giant Roseanne Barroplane.... :p

Forkin' Crazy
02-17-2005, 07:46 PM
No kidding, i think they are big enough as is. The more people they squeeze in, the more that die when the plane goes down.
I couldn't agree more. You couldn't melt me and pour me in that thing!!!!
I am suppose to fly out to San Fran this spring. I am dreading it..... but with luck I might be able to drive back!! :)

Flip
02-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I call shenanegans...
It's a photo-chop...

Flying Tiger
02-17-2005, 07:51 PM
I call shenanegans...
It's a photo-chop...
Could be,, I didn't know it had 6 engines.
Waddaya think?

Flip
02-17-2005, 07:56 PM
http://www.travelfox.com/archive/20040705.htm :D ;)

JustMVG
02-17-2005, 07:57 PM
A-390??? Can you imagine the 8 to 10 hr check in procedures, and you thought getting in and out of LAX was bad before wait till this thing hits the air. But too bad it's a Photochop, well done but still a chop.
MVG

Flip
02-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Could be,, I didn't know it had 6 engines.
Waddaya think?
Heh, it only has 5.... Now where'd that sixth one go on the port side? :idea:

Mandelon
02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
LOL that is a chopped pic, but they really do have a huge plane now.... :redface:
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/BUSINESS/01/18/airbus.fact.reut/story.exterior2.ap.jpg
http://www.cnn.com/2005/BUSINESS/01/18/airbus.fact.reut/index.html
Airbus 'superjumbo': Facts
Tuesday, January 18, 2005 Posted: 6:28 AM EST (1128 GMT)
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Airbus unveil the world's largest airliner, the A380, on Tuesday. Here is how the mammoth double-decker measures up:
The A380 is 15 metres wider, 4 metres taller, 2 metres longer and 118 tonnes heavier than the Boeing 747 jumbo, which has reigned as the largest airliner for four decades.
The A380 looks like a 747 jumbo with the upper deck stretched all the way back to the tail.
The Airbus double-decker is the length of eight London buses and has enough room on its massive wings to park 70 cars.
The A380 will seat 555 passengers in first class, business and economy cabins. A 747 laid out the same way seats 416.
An all-economy class A380 could seat 853 passengers versus 568 for a 747.
Cocktail bars, billiard rooms, showers, libraries and sleeping quarters for staff tucked under the floorboards are among the novel ways airlines could use the A380's space.
A wingspan of 79.8 metres (261 ft 10 in) means the A380 is too large for most airport docking bays. UK airport operator BAA Plc alone has budgeted 450 million pounds ($842 million) to build larger facilities to handle the planes.
At take-off, the A380's four Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines will generate as much thrust as 3,500 cars. An alliance between GE and Pratt & Whitney is also building engines.
The A380 has 16 passenger doors and escape slides on both decks, with the upper slides standing 8 metres high.
Some 14 customers have committed to 149 A380s so far. Customers include 11 passenger airlines, two parcel delivery firms and one aircraft lessor. Dubai-based airline Emirates will have the largest A380 fleet with 45.
Customers expect at least a 15 percent improvement in costs per seat-mile versus the 747-400.
The A380 lists for about $260 million each, versus about $210 million for the smaller Boeing 747-400. Both firms usually give discounts.
Singapore Airlines will fly the plane first and is scheduled to take delivery in the first quarter of 2006. + The A380 will be most common on long routes linking Asia and the Middle East to Europe and the United States. Flights to and from Australia are also expected to be a key market.
Airports gearing up for the plane include London's Heathrow, New York's John F. Kennedy International, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore and Frankfurt.
For sheer size, the A380 is larger than almost any plane ever built. Howard Hughes' ill-fated Spruce Goose flying boat, which flew once in 1947 and was designed to carry 750 troops, had a wider wingspan to incorporate its eight engines but was shorter than the A380.
The A380 is topped in size by the six-engine Antonov An-225 Mriya cargo plane, of which only two have been built. Designed to carry space shuttles for the former Soviet Union, the An-225 is 11 metres longer and 8 metres wider but not as tall as the A380.

Flyinbowtie
02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Being the extreme optimist that comes with being a deputy sheriff/coroner, all I can think of is the mess that thing is going to make when it goes down.

Flying Tiger
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
http://www.travelfox.com/archive/20040705.htm :D ;)
This takes the cake flip,,:
http://www.travelfox.com/images/archive/airbus.jpg

riverbound
02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
I call shenanegans...
It's a photo-chop...
Actually I just finished watching a special on it on TLC. Its the real deal.

moneypit
02-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Never ever in a million years would I step foot on that thing. My burning question is why? Hmmm trying to save money down the line?

rccobra
02-18-2005, 12:06 AM
look at the ride side just above the outboard engine and you can see the pylon for the other engine. it is just not installed

Bad2DBone
02-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Boeing coundn't justify the expense to build such a plane. Airbus can build just about anything since they are subsidised. They can almost give away planes and not have to worry about the cost. There is no way Boeing can compete with that. We did just announce the 787 a few weeks ago so we do have something new coming out. But nothing to the extent of the 380.
That's just a hell of alot of plane.

Sleek-Jet
02-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Cocktail bars, billiard rooms, showers, libraries and sleeping quarters for staff tucked under the floorboards are among the novel ways airlines could use the A380's space.
... or seats. All of the same was invisioned for the 747 40 years ago. The hump behind the cockpit of the early 74's was designed as a "lounge", but quickly became a place for extra rows of seats. Richard Branson has lost all grip on reality if he thinks that he can make a profit flying these things with a good sized portion of the available cabin space being taken up by shops, showers, and bars. Yeah, what ever Rich... don't you have a space plane to catch???
And remember, Airbus doesn't have to, nor ever has, turned a profit. If the A380 doesn't make it to a break even point, so what, at least 10,000 French airplane assembly workers had something to do for a decade. :idea:

Infomaniac
02-18-2005, 05:57 AM
I would think that model of plane would have an extremely limited market. Overseas flights and cargo only.
I would probably pass as well. Especially as Airbus gets government $$ and Boeing does not. I think as long as Airbus continues to develop new products the government money is still there.
I heard Fed-ex is buying a few of the big ones.

Flip
02-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Actually I just finished watching a special on it on TLC. Its the real deal.
I dunno.... There's just a few things about that picture that don't look right. I think I remember seeing the same special a while back but I think it was more of a concept than a reality.

1stepcloser
02-18-2005, 07:53 AM
The shows last night covered the A-380 Not an A-390.
Informative show, but all I kept thinking was this is going to wind up the same as the Concorde.
According to the show, to break even on the plane, they need to sell 250 planes.
At $265,000,000.00 USD. Each.
The EU invested more than 4.1 Billion USD on the project.
I really dont think Boeing is too worried about things....yet.
Oh, and that photo is a poor chop. Very obvious, to me.

mtndewdrops
02-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Nice,
The real thing is the A380 and it has only two passenger decks not three... :idea:
Boeing is smart for not trying to build a direct competetitor. :boxingguy The 747 has been the backbone of the passenger market since the late 60's, early 70's. Airbus is just now getting something out that is bigger. But bigger isn't always better.
IMO the 7E7 or so it is now called 787 is a better approach. The name of the game is fuel mileage and that parlays into effeciency...not how many people you can cram onto one plane.
The 747 Advanced is a good idea, since the flight deck is similar to the 767, 787. Then you don't have to train pilots.
Airbus has a practically different flight deck on every type of airplane. :lightsabe

JustMVG
02-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Saw a story on Discovery Science last week on the 7E7/787, very sleek and sexy lines, alot of great ideas and innovations, beautiful aircraft.
Was said they incorporated the lines and curves for aesthetics and not as much for function, if it's pretty to the consumer they're more likely to want to fly that aircraft and use that particular airline.
MikeVG

Sleek-Jet
02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Saw a story on Discovery Science last week on the 7E7/787, very sleek and sexy lines, alot of great ideas and innovations, beautiful aircraft.
Was said they incorporated the lines and curves for aesthetics and not as much for function, if it's pretty to the consumer they're more likely to want to fly that aircraft and use that particular airline.
MikeVG
I'm not sure which market segment Boeing's going for, but the 757 (my favorite Boeing product of all time) has quietly ceased production in the 4th quarter of 2004.... no use having an internal rival for the new bird.
I'm not sure if the 787 will be considered a narrow body or not, but that leaves only the 737 derivites (how much more can they stretch the fuselage on those?? :D ) for narrow body production out of Renton until the 787 comes on line.... I'm guessing about the time that everyone will be looking to retire their 757 fleets?

Propster
02-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Actually, Boeing was really hoping that Airbus would commit buiild to the A-380. Once Airbus commited to that white elephant, Boeing could announce the 7E7 (now the 787). The 787 is a wide body, a little wider than a 767.
Boeing has been asking their customers for some time if they want a larger aircraft, no takers. The 747 production has been dropping for several years now. Most customers don't want a bigger aircraft, they just want a more efficient aircraft.
Boeing is going with all composite technology, while Airbus is still building older technology aluminum aircraft. Composite aircraft are lighter and have lower maintenaince costs than aluminum aircraft. This equals lower cost per seat mile (that is how airlines work out cost, cost per passenger per mile). The main reason for building bigger aircraft is to achieve lower cost per seat mile. Boeing will be able to get the efficiency of a larger airliner with smaller aircraft.
Just watch this unfold, Boeing will show the frenchies how it is done.

Flying Tiger
02-18-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.dumontsanddunes.com/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album03/A390_2.jpg

Jbb
02-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Boeing make a great ..dependable airplane ...But so does Airbus....I worked onnjust about everything Boeing has made for commercial flight....and the Airbus A -300....The A 300 was just about trouble free from a Maintenance standpoint....Boeings were not....
I think Boeing is taking the right track on this one though.. :D

Tom Brown
02-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Discovery covered quite a bit on the A380 around the time they presented their prototype to the public. It's a super cool airplane.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Boeing Dreamliner too. It looks like another interesting airplane.
I wonder how the A380 will affect orders for the 747. I'll bet it won't kill off the tried and true 747.

Jbb
02-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Discovery covered quite a bit on the A380 around the time they presented their prototype to the public. It's a super cool airplane.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Boeing Dreamliner too. It looks like another interesting airplane.
I wonder how the A380 will affect orders for the 747. I'll bet it won't kill off the tried and true 747.
The 747 is held in Vey high regard for long distance travel....Its not going anywhere...and after all these years to see one land or take off up close ...is still quite a sight to see

JustMVG
02-18-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.dumontsanddunes.com/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album03/A390_2.jpg
Why is it looking straight on the wings the left side wing seems to be longer from #3 to #5 engine? MikeVG

Tom Brown
02-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Why is it looking straight on the wings the left side wing seems to be longer from #3 to #5 engine? MikeVG
That's because the wing broke off and they had to epoxy it back on. You can see the repair just outboard of the middle engine nacell mount on the left side. I hope they sistered up the spar with some heavy wall PVC pipe... strength is important in that part of the wing because there is a lot of lift there.

Sleek-Jet
02-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Boeing make a great ..dependable airplane ...But so does Airbus....I worked onnjust about everything Boeing has made for commercial flight....and the Airbus A -300....The A 300 was just about trouble free from a Maintenance standpoint....Boeings were not....
I think Boeing is taking the right track on this one though.. :D
Didn't Frank Borman say something to the affect (in regards to buying a boat load of A300's) that all Eastern employees didn't have to kiss the French flag, but they should at least salute it??? :D

Flying Tiger
02-18-2005, 05:42 PM
http://www.airbus.com/MultimediaElements/3321.jpg
Here's the real thing.
The other photos are jazzed.
The crews I know that fly Airbus call them scarebus.
Damfino why.

Jbb
02-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Didn't Frank Borman say something to the affect (in regards to buying a boat load of A300's) that all Eastern employees didn't have to kiss the French flag, but they should at least salute it??? :D
Maybe he did....But It was quite a Marketing deal EAL got to try them....At the time nobody wanted to even look at them and they were piling up at the factory...So they let Eastern have them for 0 money for a year to try them out ...unheard of now

Infomaniac
02-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Guys Airbus products are a big piece of shit.
Corrosion to the extreme.
Their metalergy (sp) is stone age.
The Gear beams blow out in them.
AA has a mod line to replace the main gear beam/wing spar because of the corrosion. They are getting contract work to correct this for other carriers.
AA found an A300 after the crash in Long Island with questionable structural integrity of the vertical stab mounting.
That airplane still sits grounded without the stab because no engineer has the stones to authorize a mod/repair.
Boening stuff has always been built like a tank.
The MD-80 fleet is on it's Heavy "C" 6 at AA. Will not be long before the ageing aircraft inspection criteria makes them too expensive to maintain.

Jbb
02-18-2005, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=Infomaniac]Guys Airbus products are a big piece of shit.
Nonsense...You are just a bitter ex airline employee...Now stand in line and buy you tickets ....like the rest of them....lol.... :D

mtndewdrops
02-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Guys Airbus products are a big piece of shit.
Corrosion to the extreme.
Their metalergy (sp) is stone age.
The Gear beams blow out in them.
AA has a mod line to replace the main gear beam/wing spar because of the corrosion. They are getting contract work to correct this for other carriers.
AA found an A300 after the crash in Long Island with questionable structural integrity of the vertical stab mounting.
That airplane still sits grounded without the stab because no engineer has the stones to authorize a mod/repair.
Boening stuff has always been built like a tank.
The MD-80 fleet is on it's Heavy "C" 6 at AA. Will not be long before the ageing aircraft inspection criteria makes them too expensive to maintain.
I agree 100%
I would rather fly a Boeing product anyday than an Airbus. And it is not just because I worked at the Renton plant on the 737 next generation. Really, they have a good process. They were rolling out 3-4 737's a week back then.

Infomaniac
02-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Very funny fellow reject.
Tickets are dirt cheap now. I wonder why I put up with the non-rev BS all this time. :rolleyes:

Jbb
02-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Very funny fellow reject.
Tickets are dirt cheap now. I wonder why I put up with the non-rev BS all this time. :rolleyes:
Reject....lol....I am a retiree.....free tix for life... :D

Infomaniac
02-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Reject....lol....I am a retiree.....free tix for life... :D
Free tickets on Eastern :D

Jbb
02-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Negative Ghostrider......Interline agreements give me 90%...forever!!! :D

Sleek-Jet
02-18-2005, 08:02 PM
or Trump Shuttle... :D

JustMVG
02-19-2005, 12:51 AM
That's because the wing broke off and they had to epoxy it back on. You can see the repair just outboard of the middle engine nacell mount on the left side. I hope they sistered up the spar with some heavy wall PVC pipe... strength is important in that part of the wing because there is a lot of lift there.
Thanks Tom, i feel so stupid for just asking the question or even pointing it out, but i will always have you to explain for me, Thanks Tom Brown... :D
MVG