PDA

View Full Version : I wanna convert!!

mister460
04-20-2001, 05:32 PM
I have a 19' Hawaiian with a 460 BBF/Jacuzzi jet. I want to get rid of the Jacuzzi and convert it to a Berkeley unit. What all is required? I am very experienced with composites(fiberglassing) and I used to be a machinist so I have mechanical ability. I've just never converted a jet pump before! Any and all help is appreciated including a source of a used/rebuildable Berk pump. Thanks guys!
When in doubt, Big Block it!!!!

Jetmugg
04-20-2001, 07:17 PM
Mike C. did this swap a couple years ago on his Kona. You might want to contact him if he doesn't read this. Also, Jim Lee did a significant upgrade on his Jacuzzi, with some help from MPD. Jim's got a web page on the work that was done and the performance gains that he saw. Check them out on the temporary RJB board.
Steve.

Cas42
04-20-2001, 08:30 PM
Jim's Jacuzzi page http://www.concentric.net/~Jjlee/boats/WJRebuild.shtml

440jetster
04-22-2001, 02:28 PM
I just did this conversion. The Berkeley intake cut out is 21"long and 8" wide, the Jacuzzi YJ is 9"wide and 18"long. You can get away with marine texing the 1/2 inch gap along the sides, but I chose to glass in 2 one inch strips along each side before I cut the new hole. I laid about 65 strips of cloth/mat and leveled it with bondo glass, then laid two layers of cloth in the entire stringer sump area. Marked my keel center and drew out the new pattern and cut it with a circular saw. I came out very clean and the intake had a tight fit. Last I had to plywood and glass in the transom and recut for the Berkeley transom ring and lastly marine tex in the new intake to 5 degrees level to level and drill 17 new holes.My advice is to redrill and install the bolts after the epoxy hardens(kicks out). Thats all there is to it.

mister460
04-23-2001, 11:29 AM
Hey 440, do you have any pics of your project? Sounds easy enough. What kind of glass did you use? You can e-mail me at neumanab@29palms.usmc.mil. Thanks guys, looks like I'll be going with the Berkeley instead of the Energizer kit for the Jacuzzi! Does anyone have a Berk pump they don't need?

nelsonf
04-23-2001, 11:47 AM
I think CP Performance is still running a special for a 12JI with place diverter for around 2000,00 bucks

MikeC
04-23-2001, 09:39 PM
Howdy mister460,
I primarily hang out with allot of Net Jet buddies on the RJB board, but I also lurk quite a bit. You can check out some pics here under, "mike and melissa's old Kona"
http://members.nbci.com/***boats/realjetboats.html
Sorry for the intrusion and,
Good luck,
MikeC

spectras only
04-23-2001, 10:05 PM
Mike , My computer froze twice trying to log on your site, what gives? Don't try to log on RJB, I think the millenium bug finally arrived there ,he,he.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 23, 2001).]

Cas42
04-24-2001, 07:36 AM
<<Thanks guys, looks like I'll be going with the Berkeley instead of the Energizer kit for the Jacuzzi! Does anyone have a Berk pump they don't need?>>
I just saw one on eBay with the bid at $61.00 so far. It's in the Los Angelos area so if you get it, just have it sent over to Jack McClure.

mister460
04-25-2001, 11:50 AM
Alright, here's the deal guys: Nobody bid on the jet on e-bay. I'm a poor Marine trying to find a decent jet. I need all the help I can get. So for my sake, just leave it alone. I'm saying this in good humor but I mean it. BTW thanks all you for your input and help so far. You'all have made the first few weeks of owning a jet boat very easy and enjoyable!